All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Sam Williams eager to continue NRL career after Raiders departure

Post by Billy Walker »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 16, 2022, 1:27 am
Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2022, 8:51 pm I wish Sam all the best as well. However, this thread does highlight to me I have a different interest in the raiders than many of my fellow supporters. Many seem to value the effort, loyalty, longevity and passion Sam brought to the club and while I respect that it isn’t something I feel I could bring to a conversation with Panther, Storm or Chook supporters. John Bateman had no loyalty or longevity but I’ll always value the impact he had on the club more than a long term nice guy journeyman.

I wish Sam well but no tears from me and hoping we trade up for success.
We get it.

You want to tick boxes.
Not sure that’s how I’d describe it. I genuinely have no I’ll feeling towards Sam. I wish him all the very best. Trying to find the words to describe my thoughts all seem like I’m running him down and that’s not what I want to do so I’ll probably just leave it there. It’s the difference between nice guy and good footballer where I want different things to some others.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Thanks for the memories Sammy. Loved that finals Game against Cronulla. Really happy memories!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Legend of a fella. Hope he enjoys whatever comes next.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

My favorite game from him was an away final against Souths in 2014 (?). We got rolled, but he was arguably the best player on the park. Just a shame he wasn’t that little bit bigger and faster because he’s the smartest player we’ve had for a long time.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Always battled a beer gut, good fella all the best Sammy Hagar.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

As a fan of Toulouse Olympique, I wonder how Toulouse would have fared if they had managed to sign Sam earlier in the year (which they tried to do). Toulouse recently signed Corey Norman instead (ugh), and are now heading towards the wooden spoon and relegation from Super League. I reckon our Sammy could have helped them survive. A thorough professional. I wish him all the best and hope he returns to Canberra in a coaching role one day.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:01 am
Lui_Bon wrote: June 16, 2022, 1:27 am
Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2022, 8:51 pm I wish Sam all the best as well. However, this thread does highlight to me I have a different interest in the raiders than many of my fellow supporters. Many seem to value the effort, loyalty, longevity and passion Sam brought to the club and while I respect that it isn’t something I feel I could bring to a conversation with Panther, Storm or Chook supporters. John Bateman had no loyalty or longevity but I’ll always value the impact he had on the club more than a long term nice guy journeyman.

We get it.

You want to tick boxes.
Not sure that’s how I’d describe it. I genuinely have no I’ll feeling towards Sam. I wish him all the very best. Trying to find the words to describe my thoughts all seem like I’m running him down and that’s not what I want to do so I’ll probably just leave it there. It’s the difference between nice guy and good footballer where I want different things to some others.
We understand your point. Some may even agree. But most people recognise a farewell as a place to recognise a persons contribution, share some good memories and wish them well.

He's had all the hard nosed analysis you could want in other threads over the years and there will be years worth of fans reviewing seasons, comparing past halves and discussing the clubs foibles in being too cushy or not ruthless enough to do that in. So most people also recognise that those threads will always exist and use those threads for such.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yes indeed
Most people are decent, respectful people who aren’t interested in dancing on the grave of a player who’s given the years of service Sam has

Mind you most people aren't miserable, **** trolls either like our dull mate Billy
Last edited by Botman on June 19, 2022, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raider Sam Williams leaves a lasting legacy at the NRL club

He'll be remembered as a saviour at times and a true clubman who will leave a lasting legacy.

"He's just one of those guys that's very relaxed, but his football IQ is 100/100. Some of the stuff he sees and speaks about - he really knows his football," Raiders half Jamal Fogarty said. "For someone like me to come down and lean on Sammy and ask what he's thinking it was so beneficial for me."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It's a pity Fogarty wasn't able to learn engaging the defensive line fron Williams.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Dr Greenthumb wrote: June 18, 2022, 8:42 pm My favorite game from him was an away final against Souths in 2014 (?). We got rolled, but he was arguably the best player on the park. Just a shame he wasn’t that little bit bigger and faster because he’s the smartest player we’ve had for a long time.
It was 2012, the game after the home final against Cronulla where he had a stand out performance. I thought his game against Souths was even better, where he was a shining light in a comprehensively defeated side.

I remember Sam showing huge promise coming through the lower grades - not quite at the Carney/Dugan/Milford tier, but arguably a rung below it. Like many halves transitioning to the NRL he couldn't quite deliver on that promise, but he's had a solid career nonetheless. An excellent club man who undoubtedly fits the old cliche of 'bledding green'.

Good luck to both he and his family - I feel he'll be involved with the club again in some capacity in the future.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I really hope if he can’t kick his career on, we get him into the coaching ranks.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The selfless decision that ended Sam Williams' playing career at the Canberra Raiders

Sam Williams was a crowd favourite: small in stature, but with a heart the size of Phar Lap. He put his body on the line time and time again. He was also incredibly articulate and a dedicated player.

“Ricky and I have a relationship where we talk a lot about everything. It is not confined to football,” says Sam. “We chatted about when the best time was to go given I wasn’t in the club’s plans for next season.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/the-selfless-de ... ers/569366
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good honest approach to the end of your career. Always seemed like a bloke with an eye on his future.

His papers were clearly stamped when he stepped out on the field and it looked like he was playing in quicksand.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sam Williams a game day inclusion as Queanbeyan Kangaroos captain on Saturday. He scored a field goal in the final minute.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Thanks Sammy,good luck in the future. I hear he's a good cricketer too,I know of a cricket club in Wollongong that could use him lol
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 26, 2022, 2:53 pm Good honest approach to the end of your career. Always seemed like a bloke with an eye on his future.

His papers were clearly stamped when he stepped out on the field and it looked like he was playing in quicksand.

Yes we're always quick to move on players when they look to be moving in quicksand :doubt:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Is it possible to be more of a ****? I don't think so.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: June 27, 2022, 3:55 pm

Is it possible to be more of a ****? I don't think so.
Sam or Bateman? I’m not following you?
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Good luck to Sammy. Played with heart and always put the club first.

My favourite moment involving him happened off the field.

He had been targeted in defence and produced a huge number of tackles. Ricky called him into the office and explained that the amount of work he'd had to do was a worry and so he was getting dropped to NSW Cup in case he was fatigued and the next opponent also targeted him.

Sam's response: "I've been dropped in the past for not making enough tackles, but I've never been dropped for making too many".
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 26, 2022, 2:53 pm Good honest approach to the end of your career. Always seemed like a bloke with an eye on his future.

Yes we're always quick to move on players when they look to be moving in quicksand :doubt:
Well, he was clearly told that he wasn't part of the club's plans next season.

But yes, the same obviously isn't being said of Whitehead.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 28, 2022, 10:50 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

The most obvious difference between these cases is Whitehead being under contract for next 2 years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 28, 2022, 10:50 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

Yeah we have strange priorities. Most clubs would be looking to address the players earning half a million dollars, we're worried about the ones close to (you'd hope) minimum wage.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Daniel wrote: June 19, 2022, 7:00 am As a fan of Toulouse Olympique, I wonder how Toulouse would have fared if they had managed to sign Sam earlier in the year (which they tried to do). Toulouse recently signed Corey Norman instead (ugh), and are now heading towards the wooden spoon and relegation from Super League. I reckon our Sammy could have helped them survive. A thorough professional. I wish him all the best and hope he returns to Canberra in a coaching role one day.
Of course Corey Norman signed with a team called too loose.

Best of luck to Sammy, thank you for all you've done!
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

How Canberra Raiders veteran half Sam Williams almost landed at Penrith Panthers

At 31, Sam Williams may have retired from the NRL but the itch to keep playing remains. Williams, who had three stints with his beloved Canberra Raiders, has signed on as captain-coach with the Queanbeyan Kangaroos.

But what few people know is that Williams came close to getting a start with premiers Penrith, as replacement for Dolphins-bound Sean O'Sullivan.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-n ... 7d7e9ea642
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Finchy wrote: December 7, 2022, 3:36 pm How Canberra Raiders veteran half Sam Williams almost landed at Penrith Panthers

At 31, Sam Williams may have retired from the NRL but the itch to keep playing remains. Williams, who had three stints with his beloved Canberra Raiders, has signed on as captain-coach with the Queanbeyan Kangaroos.

But what few people know is that Williams came close to getting a start with premiers Penrith, as replacement for Dolphins-bound Sean O'Sullivan.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-n ... 7d7e9ea642
jeez I'd take Sam over Jake Cogger every day even now