SURVIVOR POLL V: Top ten greatest ever Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who is the next player to be voted off the island?

Gary Belcher
No votes
Brad Clyde
4%
Jason Croker
11%
Laurie Daley
No votes
John Ferguson
50%
Mal Meninga
No votes
Josh Papalii
18%
Ricky Stuart
No votes
Steve Walters
4%
Ruben Wiki
14%

Total votes: 28

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Back in 2007, the members of The Greenhouse voted on their top ten greatest ever Canberra Raiders. It was a survivor-style poll... and this was the top ten back then:

Now, after 40 seasons of The Green Machine, we're going to vote again... and we'll see how the list might change. Will players from the modern era of the club be able to force their way in? The starting point will be the top 30 players selected in our poll for the 40 Year Dream Team.

In the first four polls we voted off 20 players. In the fourth poll, time on the island was up for Brett Mullins and Glenn Lazarus. From here we will vote off players one by one, to decide the top ten in order.

The records of all the players with the club can be found here.

You have ONE votes in this poll. You may NOT change your vote from here so select carefully. Remember, you are voting players OFF the island.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: SURVIVOR POLL V: Top ten greatest ever Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

This is an easy choice for me, as I voted Papalii last time. He’s 10th on this list for mine.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

For me it's Chicka

A lot of talk in this process about Lazo, who went last round. Easily the best front row forward i've ever seen in my life. A point i've made before In terms of a greatest players who played for the Raiders poll, my big 5 of this would become a big 6. But at some point for me, you have to consider their career and for the same reasons Lazo wasnt in my top 10, now is the right time for Chicka for me.

But i cant argue too much with anyone who decided it's Toots or Papa
Papalii to be is interesting... if we win the GF agianst the chooks i dont think he's even getting a vote this round, so i think in some ways he's he's going to suffer from being in poor teams. Stuart for all his faults as a coach, i think the one thing he gets is this clubs history and the greatness that has walked through our doors and he's got Papalii as high as any. I think that's quite telling.

But also i think there is real sense in not wanting to be prisioner of the moment and letting his career play itself out and find out if his impact stands the test of time. And actually i might have just talked myself into a Papalii vote. Going to have to think on this now.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I voted Chicka last round so he is my vote here.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Ruben Wiki.

Incidentally I happened upon (or is that apon?) the Canberra Museum and Gallery today, and they have a 40 Years of raiders thingy there. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but it's pretty cool to see Jack's actual Dally M and Clive Churchill medals. As well as jarrod C's 100th try boots, and Victor's enormously crappy masks!

Don't miss it!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 30, 2022, 12:30 am Ruben Wiki.

Incidentally I happened upon (or is that apon?) the Canberra Museum and Gallery today, and they have a 40 Years of raiders thingy there. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but it's pretty cool to see Jack's actual Dally M and Clive Churchill medals. As well as jarrod C's 100th try boots, and Victor's enormously crappy masks!

Don't miss it!
Upon. We have covered it extensively before. Lots of pics and more details here: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34835
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd just like to say you are all doing it wrong and Chicka belongs in the top 10 Raiders.

Shame! Shame! Shame!
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

BadnMean wrote: June 30, 2022, 8:44 am I'd just like to say you are all doing it wrong and Chicka belongs in the top 10 Raiders.

Shame! Shame! Shame!
This is the top 10.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

It's easily Chicka for mine. Great player, but no idea how he made the "greatest ever 10 Raiders" list, he's not even in our best 2 wingers as far as I'm concerned.

Way too much green lenses being shone on the 1989 grand final squad IMO.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Crash Ball wrote: June 30, 2022, 9:14 am
BadnMean wrote: June 30, 2022, 8:44 am I'd just like to say you are all doing it wrong and Chicka belongs in the top 10 Raiders.

Shame! Shame! Shame!
This is the top 10.
Then I take it all back. You are forgiven.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, sorry Chicka. An all time legend of this club and a huge fan favourite, but almost all of the remaining players have at one time been considered the best in their respective positions for many years.

Toots next. :(

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Went with Chicka for same reasons I voted Lazo last time. The majority of their careers spent at other clubs. In no way diminishes their status as a Raiders legend. Chicka was one of the first superstars to join the club and was a huge factor in our rise from whipping boy to contender.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

I went with Chicka but in hindsight would've gone with Toots. This is a hall of fame type list which means off field impact is a big part of it and next to Mal there probably isn't a player in Raiders history who was more popular.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Crash Ball wrote: June 30, 2022, 6:13 pm I went with Chicka but in hindsight would've gone with Toots. This is a hall of fame type list which means off field impact is a big part of it and next to Mal there probably isn't a player in Raiders history who was more popular.
There's all kinds of considerations. Quality. Longevity. Popularity. Results. Leadership.

Chicka was a phenomenon. In terms of delivering in attack and (under rated) defence in the biggest of stages, Chicka did it. Repeatedly. The game has changed a lot. Wingers roles have changed a lot. We've been blessed with some awesome wingers. If Jordy Raps had made the list, I could see why.

But there was just electricity around Chicka, doing what he did, at the age he did it (my Dad swears Easts let him go because he was too old and his age went backwards mysteriously at times).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I thought voters on here were a little harsh on Lazzo and Kevvie on the basis they weren’t career raiders. It’s worth noting Chicka played more games for Easts and Newtown (combined) than he did for the raiders.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2022, 11:40 am I thought voters on here were a little harsh on Lazzo and Kevvie on the basis they weren’t career raiders. It’s worth noting Chicka played more games for Easts and Newtown (combined) than he did for the raiders.
And yet, it is literally impossible to cram more sheer Canberra into this frame... (and I love that Chicka is clearly older than even Hawky in this photo but still stepping through teams for GF tries...).

Chicka had fans at other clubs but I actually know one or two people who followed Newton, loved CHicka, couldn't stomach Rooters but happily got aboard Canberra when Chicka came down.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: July 2, 2022, 2:55 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2022, 11:40 am I thought voters on here were a little harsh on Lazzo and Kevvie on the basis they weren’t career raiders. It’s worth noting Chicka played more games for Easts and Newtown (combined) than he did for the raiders.
And yet, it is literally impossible to cram more sheer Canberra into this frame... (and I love that Chicka is clearly older than even Hawky in this photo but still stepping through teams for GF tries...).

Chicka had fans at other clubs but I actually know one or two people who followed Newton, loved CHicka, couldn't stomach Rooters but happily got aboard Canberra when Chicka came down.
They could be on bicycles in the middle of a rainbow roundabout but yeah I know what you mean! He was a very special player!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. John Ferguson is the 10th greatest Raider of all time.