SURVIVOR POLL VI: Top ten greatest ever Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who is the next player to be voted off the island?

Gary Belcher
6%
Brad Clyde
6%
Jason Croker
32%
Laurie Daley
No votes
Mal Meninga
No votes
Josh Papalii
35%
Ricky Stuart
No votes
Steve Walters
3%
Ruben Wiki
16%

Total votes: 31

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Back in 2007, the members of The Greenhouse voted on their top ten greatest ever Canberra Raiders. It was a survivor-style poll... and this was the top ten back then:

Now, after 40 seasons of The Green Machine, we're voting again... and we'll see how the list might change. The starting point was the top 30 players selected in our poll for the 40 Year Dream Team.

In the first four polls we voted 20 players off the island. We are now voting off players one by one, to decide the top ten in order.

In the last poll, John Ferguson was declared the 10th greatest Raider. Now we decide on No. 9. Who should be the next player voted off the island?

The records of all the players with the club can be found here.

You have ONE votes in this poll. You may NOT change your vote from here so select carefully. Remember, you are voting players OFF the island.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: SURVIVOR POLL VI: Top ten greatest ever Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

For the same reason as before, my answer is Josh Papalii.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I also voted Papalii
I'll be very curious to see how he goes next time this excercise is conducted, he's likely going to leave us without being a premiership winner (not through lack of trying, he carried us in many key spots in that 2019 run) and how that impacts his legacy when its put to the test of time will be interesting

In a vaccum i think he's a better footballer than Jason Croker so that was my only other consideration and so on that basis wouldnt argue with anyone selecting him. But Croker's involvement and contributions to a highly successful era of Raiders football tipped the scales in his favour for me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Same considerations for me, but I went the other way. Croker spent about 10 years of his career without the top 6 or 7 players on that list and didn't make a grand final either. I think Papalii at his best was more influential on the performance of the team than Toots ever was. Much more impressive rep record too.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I voted Wiki, he chose to leave

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I think the next 3 to leave are fairly certain. Just a case of which order. With heavy heart I say "Josh Papalii, it's time to go".

P.S. who are the gimps voting out Clyde at this stage? :x
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: SURVIVOR POLL V: Top ten greatest ever Raiders

Post by papabear »

who voted of mullins.

I would have mullins ahead of belcher.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: July 11, 2022, 7:38 pm I also voted Papalii
I'll be very curious to see how he goes next time this excercise is conducted, he's likely going to leave us without being a premiership winner (not through lack of trying, he carried us in many key spots in that 2019 run) and how that impacts his legacy when its put to the test of time will be interesting

In a vaccum i think he's a better footballer than Jason Croker so that was my only other consideration and so on that basis wouldnt argue with anyone selecting him. But Croker's involvement and contributions to a highly successful era of Raiders football tipped the scales in his favour for me.
Papalii at his best is/was more devastating then croker.

Though I dont remember croker ever having the really quiet games papalii has... especially for a middle.

but tbh the longevity is what tipped the scales in favour of croker for me.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

papabear wrote: July 12, 2022, 1:56 pm
Botman wrote: July 11, 2022, 7:38 pm I also voted Papalii

Papalii at his best is/was more devastating then croker.

Though I dont remember croker ever having the really quiet games papalii has... especially for a middle.

but tbh the longevity is what tipped the scales in favour of croker for me.
Papa is only 65 games off Croker and hasn't spent any of that time out in the backs as Croker did for a few seasons here and there. I don't see longevity being a factor.

I'm going Papa to stay on as he's been consistently in the top few players at the club other than 2 or 3 seasons across his career. Croker perhaps suffers from 04-06 diminishing his memories slightly. Papa has been in the discussion for best in his position for good periods of time in his career, Croker only really got into that conversation for a short period when playing lock in 2000. As much as I like Croker this one is actually pretty straightforward for me.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: July 12, 2022, 9:46 am who voted of mullins.

I would have mullins ahead of belcher.
Idiots. That's who.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think Belcher was a better fullback than Mullins. And he never pushed his team mates in the chest
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Belcher was phenomenal. I wish we had a FG that good this century. Decent toe, great footwork, incredible timing coming into the backline, could pass, elite defensive game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: July 13, 2022, 11:08 am Belcher was phenomenal. I wish we had a FG that good this century. Decent toe, great footwork, incredible timing coming into the backline, could pass, elite defensive game.
Changed the way fullbacks play. That’s how influential he was.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
BadnMean wrote: July 13, 2022, 11:08 am Belcher was phenomenal. I wish we had a FG that good this century. Decent toe, great footwork, incredible timing coming into the backline, could pass, elite defensive game.
Changed the way fullbacks play. That’s how influential he was.
Yes Belcher was probably the first ball playing link fullback.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Belcher was the best fullback in the game for a few years from 1988 onwards to 1991 (inclusive) - 4 years. Close to being the MOTM in the 1989 GF (I recall Channel 10 gave it to him). Mullins I also loved and was freakish (e.g. Newcastle game with 4 tries) but he really only had 2 seasons at the top of his game (1994 and 95). He could score length of the field tries much like Papenhuyzen today. They are different players but Belcher was the better all round player.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Belcher was one of the top 2 or 3 players in the comp in 1990. Elite fullback in all aspects.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. Josh Papalii is the ninth greatest Raider of all time.