All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by hrundi89 »

My take is as follows.

I made the mistake of venturing momentarily onto the FB page and yikes there are plenty of people ecstatic at this signing. I think most people like the idea that the coach is a club legend and "one of us" and a loyal Canberran, and that is more important than specific outcomes. I do understand that perspective. Canberra is quite insular and this thought process aligns with that.

I get the sense that the people who are unhappy with this decision and the way the club is run more generally (and I count myself in this group) are people who follow other sporting clubs in other sports/leagues. Digesting the way things function in (checks notes) more professional sporting leagues gives us insight into how things could be with the Raiders (budgets notwithstanding).

Whether it's the EPL, NFL, MLB, or my particular area of interest, the NHL, they aren't just different sports, they're different industries/worlds.

We regularly experience the ruthlessness of what teams and owners do with their coaching and rosters to maximise their potential for winning and getting bums on seats.

NHL Coaches:
Bruce Cassidy - Boston Bruins; fired this year after a record of 245–108–46 in 6 seasons (signed by Vegas Golden Knights); 67% win rate (Stanly Cup finals, President's Trophy, won Coach of the Year)
Peter DeBoer - Vegas Golden Knights; fired this year after 98–50–12 over 2 seasons (signed by Dallas Stars); 65% win rate (Stanley Cup finals, Conference finals)
Barry Trotz - New York Islanders; fired this year after 152–102–34 record over 4 seasons; 59% win rate (won Coach of the Year, Conference finals)
Rick Bowness - Dallas Stars; fired this year after 89–62–25 over 3 seasons; 57% win rate (Stanley Cup finals)

Their records are all exemplary but the owners decided to go in different directions.

Ricky's record with us is a 50% win rate.

The Raiders as an organisation lack ruthlessness. Ownership/senior management are in an absolute comfort zone. The core part of the business are the licensed clubs, and if the footy team strings a few wins together or even makes the finals then happy days.

Having been an insider in the past, the NRL and most clubs are less sophisticated as organisations than perhaps what most people realise. For those of you who have worked/volunteered at local footy clubs it is more often than not simply a step up from that.

The likes of the Storm etc are out in front because they take a more professional/ruthless approach to things.

The way our club is set up simply doesn't encourage that, and I can't see any time that it will.
Last edited by hrundi89 on July 21, 2022, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

nachopants wrote: July 21, 2022, 5:04 am Anyone saying "omfg we should have picked an unproven Bellamy" with the information at hand back then is the same person complaining about losing the tipping comps because they were right, but they weren't. It's Melbourne Cup syndrome.

We aren't getting Bellamy tomorrow so what's even your point?

If you have a better suggestion as to what the club can achieve, then by all means. If you seriously think we're getting Bellamy, Bennett, Ciraldo or any of the rest of the merry-go-round you're crazy.

Ricky is a top 8 coach. We're a top 8 team. In a top 8 location.

It's clear we're now in a development phase trying to bring a completely junior backline through. If we can hang onto them then great, we're a shot in 2024 or so.

Whinging about the status quo without any empathy for the current state of the club's cadence is just pointless.

New juniors, under a coach that made prelims and a gf and lives/breathes the joint, we could do a lot worse.

A lot worse.

---

The problem is with stuff like 'happy clappers' is you fundamentally don't even understand the point. It's not about celebrating the re-signing, it's about understanding what's sensible.

By all means, produce a constructive, funded, sensible strategic argument on what you would do if you we re CEO and we'd be all ears.
Sounds like the line of thinking that has kept us among the bottom 4 performed clubs in the NRL era, we haven't won a premiership in 25 years. We sit with the Eels, Titans and Warriors as the worst clubs in that period.

And I'm not quite sure how Ricky is a top 8 coach when we miss the finals more often than we make them- we've finished outside the limits of even mediocrity (8th out of 16) and missed the finals five times under Ricky and only made the finals three times- one year we looked like winning it. One year we just made up the numbers. Looks like another year missing out this year...

'if you miss finals twice as often as you make them, is that really a top 8 club/coach?

Ricky has done some great things as a coach. I just don't see why we extended, given the current trajectory. Personally I think the place is going backwards and he's taken us as far as he can.

PS. we'll get the treasury dept onto the costing of our message board posts right away, it's in the queue right after yours.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

BadnMean wrote: July 21, 2022, 11:43 am
nachopants wrote: July 21, 2022, 5:04 am Anyone saying "omfg we should have picked an unproven Bellamy" with the information at hand back then is the same person complaining about losing the tipping comps because they were right, but they weren't. It's Melbourne Cup syndrome.

If you have a better suggestion as to what the club can achieve, then by all means. If you seriously think we're getting Bellamy, Bennett, Ciraldo or any of the rest of the merry-go-round you're crazy.

It's clear we're now in a development phase trying to bring a completely junior backline through. If we can hang onto them then great, we're a shot in 2024 or so.

Whinging about the status quo without any empathy for the current state of the club's cadence is just pointless.

New juniors, under a coach that made prelims and a gf and lives/breathes the joint, we could do a lot worse.

A lot worse.

---

The problem is with stuff like 'happy clappers' is you fundamentally don't even understand the point. It's not about celebrating the re-signing, it's about understanding what's sensible.

By all means, produce a constructive, funded, sensible strategic argument on what you would do if you we re CEO and we'd be all ears.
Sounds like the line of thinking that has kept us among the bottom 4 performed clubs in the NRL era, we haven't won a premiership in 25 years. We sit with the Eels, Titans and Warriors as the worst clubs in that period.

And I'm not quite sure how Ricky is a top 8 coach when we miss the finals more often than we make them- we've finished outside the limits of even mediocrity (8th out of 16) and missed the finals five times under Ricky and only made the finals three times- one year we looked like winning it. One year we just made up the numbers. Looks like another year missing out this year...

'if you miss finals twice as often as you make them, is that really a top 8 club/coach?

Ricky has done some great things as a coach. I just don't see why we extended, given the current trajectory. Personally I think the place is going backwards and he's taken us as far as he can.

PS. we'll get the treasury dept onto the costing of our message board posts right away, it's in the queue right after yours.
Titans have made the finals in 2 of their last 8 seasons. Bulldogs have made the finals in 3 of their last 8 seasons.

Nachopants logic = Titans and Bulldogs are top 8 clubs and Holbrook is a top 8 coach.
Up The Milk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hrundi89 wrote:My take is as follows.

I made the mistake of venturing momentarily onto the FB page and yikes there are plenty of people ecstatic at this signing. I think most people like the idea that the coach is a club legend and "one of us" and a loyal Canberran, and that is more important than specific outcomes. I do understand that perspective. Canberra is quite insular and this thought process aligns with that.

I get the sense that the people who are unhappy with this decision and the way the club is run more generally (and I count myself in this group) are people who follow other sporting clubs in other sports/leagues. Digesting the way things function in (checks notes) more professional sporting leagues gives us insight into how things could be with the Raiders (budgets notwithstanding).

Whether it's the EPL, NFL, MLB, or my particular area of interest, the NHL, they aren't just different sports, they're different industries/worlds.

We regularly experience the ruthlessness of what teams and owners do with their coaching and rosters to maximise their potential for winning and getting bums on seats.

NHL Coaches:
Bruce Cassidy - Boston Bruins; fired this year after a record of 245–108–46 in 6 seasons (signed by Vegas Golden Knights); 67% win rate (Stanly Cup finals, President's Trophy, won Coach of the Year)
Peter DeBoer - Vegas Golden Knights; fired this year after 98–50–12 over 2 seasons (signed by Dallas Stars); 65% win rate (Stanley Cup finals, Conference finals)
Barry Trotz - New York Islanders; fired this year after 152–102–34 record over 4 seasons; 59% win rate (won Coach of the Year, Conference finals)
Rick Bowness - Dallas Stars; fired this year after 89–62–25 over 3 seasons; 57% win rate (Stanley Cup finals)

Their records are all exemplary but the owners decided to go in different directions.

The Raiders as an organisation lack ruthlessness. Ownership/senior management are in an absolute comfort zone. The core part of the business are the licensed clubs, and if the footy team strings a few wins together or even makes the finals then happy days.

Having been an insider in the past, the NRL and most clubs are less sophisticated as organisations than perhaps what most people realise. For those of you who have worked/volunteered at local footy clubs it is more often than not simply a step up from that.

The likes of the Storm etc are out in front because they take a more professional/ruthless approach to things.

The way our club is set up simply doesn't encourage that, and I can't see any time that it will.
great post, I'm ok with Sticky at the helm so long as we are surrounding him correctly.
As you say a bit more ruthlessness, I would love to see Bellamy chased hard in a senior role where he can do as he said he'd like to and be a more active grandparent but still have a huge involvement in a club he loves.
Alternatively a guy like Barrett who got huge plaudits bringing through the panthers younger guys, we need that, we have won SG ball last year and have seen basically zero from those 20yr olds.
Massive gap in that development space, losing Mulholland is a gaping chasm to fill.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Would anyone who is in support of us staying on this punishing merry-go-round for another 3.5 years care to list what Rick brings to the HC role? Objectively? Things that can be demonstrated and linked to how we perform as a football team? That’s his actual job.

I’d love to hear on what basis a claim of “top 8 coach in the league” can be made (mind you, it’s still a pretty low bar to clear)

I can’t see a shred of measurable coaching impact in areas of player development, match day strategy, off season improvement, fitness levels, tactical awareness, recruitment. Ask yourself, does Rick contribute positively to this team winning with his decisions and methodology as head coach?

I’m happy to be enlightened - but I fear it’s only bleeding green-type hyperbole/club legend subjectivity that will be cited.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

nachopants wrote:Pick your scope?

Name 8 current coaches you’d replace him with?

Sometimes it’s the coach, sometimes it’s the squad. We haven’t had a great time of late for a multitude of reasons.

During his tenure he has been amazing on average
Scope? The only thing that matters in any professional sporting competition is winning titles. Anything else is a failure. I'm speaking specifically in relation to the coach. Other stuff, crowd numbers, attendance, financial success etc are the realm of the CEO and back office.

But anyway I'm not going to start to tell others how they should be supporting the club.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote:

NHL Coaches:

great post, I'm ok with Sticky at the helm so long as we are surrounding him correctly.
As you say a bit more ruthlessness, I would love to see Bellamy chased hard in a senior role where he can do as he said he'd like to and be a more active grandparent but still have a huge involvement in a club he loves.
Alternatively a guy like Barrett who got huge plaudits bringing through the panthers younger guys, we need that, we have won SG ball last year and have seen basically zero from those 20yr olds.
Massive gap in that development space, losing Mulholland is a gaping chasm to fill.

Hey bonehead, at this stage I think it may be a bit harsh to say we've seen basically zero from last season's SG Ball premiers this season. It's an under 19s comp, so we shouldn't expect a great deal for a few years.

Savage is already contributing and Mooney has made his debut. Esera is out for the season with a busted shoulder, but he could be good. Asomua played u19s origin this season with Morkos and Mooney, while Clay Webb is doing a really solid job in reserves.

Add the likes of Schiller, Schneider, Timoko, Mariota, HSS and Trevilyan to the list and there is a good crop of 19-22 year olds coming through the system.

One of the things about Stuart's tenue is that we've started to again see some good young talent coming through. Much of that may be attributed to Peter Mulholland, but I honestly think it has been a real focus for the club in recent seasons.

It's actually quite exciting.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:
bonehead wrote:

NHL Coaches:

Hey bonehead, at this stage I think it may be a bit harsh to say we've seen basically zero from last season's SG Ball premiers this season. It's an under 19s comp, so we shouldn't expect a great deal for a few years.

Savage is already contributing and Mooney has made his debut. Esera is out for the season with a busted shoulder, but he could be good. Asomua played u19s origin this season with Morkos and Mooney, while Clay Webb is doing a really solid job in reserves.

Add the likes of Schiller, Schneider, Timoko, Mariota, HSS and Trevilyan to the list and there is a good crop of 19-22 year olds coming through the system.

One of the things about Stuart's tenue is that we've started to again see some good young talent coming through. Much of that may be attributed to Peter Mulholland, but I honestly think it has been a real focus for the club in recent seasons.

I know it's a bit harsh Seif but these guys are 20yo not 18yo, they need to step up to nrl faster.
Mooney - 5mins of nrl
Esera - miles off debut
Asomua - hard to know but behind a lot of guys.
Morkos - not looking overly promising at nsw cup.

Croker, Cotric, Papalii, Wighton Rapana all were debuting at 18 and 19yo, these kids now at Flegg are u21s and so far away it's ridiculous.

Penrith and the cowboys have these guys nrl ready at 20yr old, we are dragging the chain.

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

bonehead wrote: July 21, 2022, 5:09 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
bonehead wrote:

NHL Coaches:

I know it's a bit harsh Seif but these guys are 20yo not 18yo, they need to step up to nrl faster.
Mooney - 5mins of nrl
Esera - miles off debut

Croker, Cotric, Papalii, Wighton Rapana all were debuting at 18 and 19yo, these kids now at Flegg are u21s and so far away it's ridiculous.

Penrith and the cowboys have these guys nrl ready at 20yr old, we are dragging the chain.

We have talent coming through for sure, but we have always been hesitant to give kids an opportunity until its 100% necessary for to lack of other options. The last kid I remember actually getting a chance from round 1 was Cotric.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

bonehead wrote: July 21, 2022, 5:09 pm I know it's a bit harsh Seif but these guys are 20yo not 18yo, they need to step up to nrl faster.
Mooney - 5mins of nrl
Esera - miles off debut

I'm pretty certain only Mooney is 20 out of that list.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

They've missed 18 months of footy with COVID so I'm not too surprised if this current batch are slightly behind in development.

Gutted for Mooney and Rushton - watching how they went was one more thing to look forward too in a tough season.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by LastRaider »

From Raiders supporters outside of the GH I know, there all not happy about this extension… which makes me think, is any Raiders supporter happy with this decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

A lot worse.

---

😂😂 The inflated views of some of our fans, seriously. We are not in the top 8 now, nor have we been all year. We did not make the top 8 last year. Yet somehow we're a "top 8 team". That'll do me :shock: :shock:

Ricky makes the 8 three times in nine years, and he's a "top 8 coach". That's just the icing on the cake

I'm guessing from this logic that Penrith and Melbourne are lowly bottom 8 battlers!!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Great post Hrundi, really enjoyed reading that it makes sense.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
bonehead wrote:

NHL Coaches:

Mooney - 5mins of nrl
Esera - miles off debut

Yeah, Penrith and the Cowboys have done quite well in that regard, but I don't think we're that far behind.

Schneider, Trev, Schiller, Mooney, Rushton and Savage are all 20 or 21. All seem to be able to contribute at the FG level. Smith-Shields is the same age and he would have started centre.

I doubt there is any other club who have blooded 6 rookies of that age this season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’ve never understood how raiders fans on one hand are so down about coaches Elliot, Furner and Rick yet so incredibly protective of Captain Croker who actually led the team on the field throughout this period.

There is such little respect for the coaches yet some warped belief that we’ve all been blessed by Jarrod’s inclusion over this time.

It’s quite irrational but has resulted in the most damaging contract extension in club history.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:I’ve never understood how raiders fans on one hand are so down about coaches Elliot, Furner and Rick yet so incredibly protective of Captain Croker who actually led the team on the field throughout this period.

There is such little respect for the coaches yet some warped belief that we’ve all been blessed by Jarrod’s inclusion over this time.

It’s quite irrational but has resulted in the most damaging contract extension in club history.
What I don't understand is how some posters blame Croker for being selected and receiving contracts, lengths that don't make sense, dollars that don't make sense and blame him for it instead of the coach who 100% controls contracts and selections.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote:I’ve never understood how raiders fans on one hand are so down about coaches Elliot, Furner and Rick yet so incredibly protective of Captain Croker who actually led the team on the field throughout this period.

Lo que?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sticky on SEN between 8 and 9am today.

1170am Sydney
1323am Canberra

https://www.sen.com.au/listen-live-sen-sydney/

Edrick The Entertainer
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Raiders extend Ricky Stuart as coach until 2025

At its regular Board meeting on 6 July, the Raiders board of directors voted unanimously to have Raiders Group CEO Simon Hawkins discuss a contract extension with Head Coach Ricky Stuart.

Raiders Chairman, Dr Allan Hawke AC, said the board were united in their decision that Stuart continues in his role as head coach.

That process having now been completed, the Canberra Raiders board of directors have today announced Ricky Stuart has been extended as Head Coach of the club until the end of the 2025 season.

Dr Hawke said, “The board believes that Ricky provides the best direction and stability our club needs at this time. With professionalism and passion for the organisation, club, members, fans and supporters, Ricky continues to be the best-fit for the role.”

“The board also wants to provide a clear and decisive direction in the head coaching position, to provide clarity and assurance to current and future players who may be looking to extend or sign with the club.”

Canberra Raiders media release

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart discusses his contract extension: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/07 ... -round-19/

Ricky Stuart re-signs with three-year contract extension with Canberra Raiders: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

At its regular Board meeting on 6 July, the Raiders board of directors voted unanimously to have Raiders Group CEO Simon Hawkins discuss a contract extension with Head Coach Ricky Stuart.

That process having now been completed, the Canberra Raiders board of directors have today announced Ricky Stuart has been extended as Head Coach of the club until the end of the 2025 season.
We're still going to have posters thinking DFJ should get sacked for this extension though :lol:
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: July 22, 2022, 10:37 am

We're still going to have posters thinking DFJ should get sacked for this extension though :lol:
Strange that the qbn mafia have structured their corporate affairs so that Hawkins who I presume is the guy who negotiates commercial property and pokies leases negotiates football operations contracts too.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BTW, they voted unanimously
Unanimously! No a soul so much as raised an objection to the idea that Stuart should be the HC.

Make no mistake, Ricky Stuart is far and away the most powerful person in the Canberra Raiders organisation. Like it or not, this is his club right now.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Great news for the club!!! Sign him for life
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: July 22, 2022, 10:59 am BTW, they voted unanimously
Unanimously! No a soul so much as raised an objection to the idea that Stuart should be the HC.

Make no mistake, Ricky Stuart is far and away the most powerful person in the Canberra Raiders organisation. Like it or not, this is his club right now.
Someone doesn’t understand how boards operate. :lol: A united end position doesn’t mean there wasn’t vigorous debate in the lead up. No organisation goes public with a split board decision. You debate it, get onside with it or resign your board position.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: July 22, 2022, 7:38 am

What I don't understand is how some posters blame Croker for being selected and receiving contracts, lengths that don't make sense, dollars that don't make sense and blame him for it instead of the coach who 100% controls contracts and selections.
Absolute zero blame on Croker for taking full advantage of the situation he has been gifted. He’d be a fool not to and nothing but respect for him doing so. The point I am making is that the raiders lack of success over the period clearly annoys the supporter base but all fingers go the way of the coaches and not the captain who actually took the field and led the team over the period. He is defended vigorously by the supporters and placed on a very high pedestal. It’s quite odd and inconsistent.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 22, 2022, 7:38 am

Absolute zero blame on Croker for taking full advantage of the situation he has been gifted. He’d be a fool not to and nothing but respect for him doing so. The point I am making is that the raiders lack of success over the period clearly annoys the supporter base but all fingers go the way of the coaches and not the captain who actually took the field and led the team over the period. He is defended vigorously by the supporters and placed on a very high pedestal. It’s quite odd and inconsistent.
The coach picks the team every week. He also looks after recruitment and retention. If anybody is to blame for ... Croker being selected each week, or being signed for 3 years it's on the coach. Of course the fans - that actually grasp this concept - will direct their unhappiness at the coach for doing this.

It has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions by a wide variety of posters that Croker has been a significant contributor to this club in the past and most of those posters have acknowledged that his form has declined in the past few seasons, but prior to that he was a pretty good player. Of course everyone has their own opinion on that but if you strongly disagree with any rating of his ability, that again becomes an issue for the coach. Everything leads back to the coach, in relation to the team.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Piss off with your Croker garbage Billy, it has absolutely nothing to do with the current discussion, troll.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Billy is a breath of fresh air around here
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders extend head coach Ricky Stuart to the end of 2025

The Canberra Raiders officially announced today that head coach Ricky Stuart has been re-signed to the end of 2025.

Stuart's deal was due to expire at the end of next year, but he's been extended for a further two years.

The club's announcement made clear that Stuart's reappointment has come with the unanimous support of the board, headed by chairman Allan Hawke. The negotiations with Stuart were conducted by Raiders group CEO Simon Hawkins.

"I'm very excited about it," Stuart said after today's announcement.

"It's something I've been talking to Simon Hawkins about for a couple of weeks now, from a direction he got from the board."

"Yesterday afternoon I went and visited Allan Hawke in hospital, and everything got the okay. And it was lovely to see Allan. He's had a real tough period of illness over the last four years."

"Seeing him yesterday, after what he's had to endure over the last four years, he's the most resilient, toughest person I've met in my life."

"It was great to be able to sit there and have a chat about the club and some planning going forward."

"I appreciate the support and the trust that they've put in me. I always say the support from the board and Don Furner here has been second to none."

"It's what a coach needs. A coach needs longevity, and to build a competitive roster it's so important to have that support behind you, knowing the fact that you've got people there all rowing in the same direction, no one's pulling in another direction from the journey we're on."

"Over the years that I've been here, we have all got the same goals and values and we all want to win a competition."

"We've built a roster at the moment that's got a lot of youth and they're all gaining experience. And I do see a bright future for what these youth are displaying."

"We've got good senior role models around the youth and there's a great leadership group here."

"We're all wanting what our fans want, that's to win a grand final and that is something that I work at and think about every day of my life."

Chairman Allan Hawke emphasised that the decision to extend Stuart was taken so as to provide stability at the club and provide certainty for players who are looking to sign or re-sign with the Raiders.

"Stability is really good from a coach's point of view from his leaders above him. It's also great for my players in regards to them having stability," Stuart said.

"I've been talking to the club about this for a couple of months now, and I've waited. I didn't make a decision early in the year when it was first discussed because I wanted to make sure I was the right person for the club too."

"I'm a Canberra boy. I've said it a number of times before, I won't be coaching anywhere else after this coaching position."

"But when I feel and know that I'm not the right person for the job. I've said to Don Furner and Simon Hawkins and Allan Hawke a number of times, I will tell you, you won't have to tell me."

Stuart was also bouyed by the announcement this week that four players - Zac Woolford, James Schiller, Ata Mariota and Matt Frawley - had re-signed with the club.

"It's really positive. Positive in that their managers and the players all see what we're trying to build here," Stuart said.

"You see the young players that we've got playing first grade at the moment. You put another season or two seasons into those guys, especially our outside backs, and all of a sudden they're 40, 50 game NRL players."

"And that's the experience you want in your squad."

"There's only one way to get to that and that's by debuting the young players and having trust in them. That's what we do at this club."

"We speak to the managers and if the player commits and the player sacrifices, the player is good enough to play NRL, we debut them and give them their opportunity. We don't buy over the top of them."

"It's been something where it's a waiting pattern at the moment for us, with a number of our youth, but they are playing NRL. We've got probably another three or four boys not far away from making their debuts to get their opportunity as well."

Stuart said the team has put last Sunday's win over the Melbourne Storm behind them, and they are now focussed on backing that up against the New Zealand Warriors tomorrow.

"We refocussed the day after. It's wonderful to win that game in Melbourne, it's a tough game. But coming back now, playing at home we want to make our fans proud as well. We want to come back here and continue that type of performance," Stuart said.

"The Warriors are going to be a very tough gig. We've seen that at Redcliffe when they beat us at Redcliffe. They're a big physical footbal. team so we're going to have another tough game."

"But we've put ourselves into a position now that the outcome of this season will be depending on us. We won't have to worry about any other football team, it will depend on us. Each game is very vital now."

The Raiders have lost wingers Jordan Rapana (suspension) and James Schiller (ankle) from the line up, but Stuart says the club has the depth to cover those losses.

"It was disappointing losing Rapa - he provides a lot of energy - and James Schiller who is just at the start of his journey," Stuart said.

"It's wonderful Schiller hass just re-signed, he's a wonderful prospect. It's disappointing to have that disruption again, he's had a little bit of a disrupted start to his NRL career. He's had a collarbone problem and now an ankle problem, but he's a player for the future."

"Disappointing to lose them, but then to be able to bring in another young boy who debuted last week off the bench in Albert Hopoate and an experienced player Nick Cotric."

"You need that depth to have success at a club. Those younger boys around our senior players are creating that depth."

A report for The Greenhouse
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote: July 22, 2022, 11:49 am You debate it, get onside with it or resign your board position.
What in the name of god are you dribbling about?

Of course there are split board votes. What a stupid thing to say.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

non moderator request - don't quote Billy as it defeats the block function

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: July 22, 2022, 1:39 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 22, 2022, 11:49 am You debate it, get onside with it or resign your board position.

Boards speak with one voice TR. Have the debate, discuss the dissenting views but leave the board room aligned with the decision the board landed on or step aside.

Maybe you sit on a primary school board that operates differently but the consequences of a split decision on tuck shop rosters is not the same as a split board decision that would override the 3 year coaching announcement and white ant the coach from day 1.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

So the thread is about Ricky re-signing, and Billy makes it about a Croker, just like every other thread. Imagine, even for a moment if you will, my surprise.

He’s played ONE game of first grade this year. Obsessed much? I’d be focussing the outrage at Whitehead who is even less of a contributor and is getting picked every week.

Or better still, just stick to the topic of whatever thread you’re posting in rather than dragging up a constant agenda against a player that’s out for the season and may never play again.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote: July 22, 2022, 2:21 pm
T_R wrote: July 22, 2022, 1:39 pm

Boards speak with one voice TR. Have the debate, discuss the dissenting views but leave the board room aligned with the decision the board landed on or step aside.

Maybe you sit on a primary school board that operates differently but the consequences of a split decision on tuck shop rosters is not the same as a split board decision that would override the 3 year coaching announcement and white ant the coach from day 1.
I sit on 9 boards, across SMEs, a NFP and in higher ed. You are talking complete and utter rubbish.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.