Four Raiders to extend their time with the club

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders can confirm the re-signings of four players to their NRL squad for the upcoming seasons. Zac Woolford, James Schiller and Ata Mariota have all signed new two-year deals with the Raiders which will see them remain with the club until the end of the 2024 season.

Matt Frawley has also agreed to a new one-year deal with the Raiders which will see him remain in the squad for the 2023 season.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the re-signing of all four players continued the club’s push to secure the bulk of the playing squad for 2023 and beyond.

“The club is very pleased to be able to re-sign a number of players, who will continue to develop and be part of our squad moving forward,” Furner said. “Zac Woolford and James Schiller are two great examples of players coming here for an opportunity and being rewarded for their hard work and commitment.

“Ata Mariota is a young player who will continue his development with us and look to make his NRL debut for the club, while Matt Frawley is an experienced half who continues to be a valuable member of the playing squad.”

Canberra Raiders media release

Canberra Raiders re-sign Zac Woolford, James Schiller, Matt Frawley and Ata Mariota: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Re: Four Raiders to extend their time with the club

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Yet Ricky gets til 2025 🤦🤦🤦
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

All solid re-signings.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Makes sense! Good stuff
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Happy with all of those to be extended
Particularly like going year to year with Frawley
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New news on Schiller, sort of new on Woolford, confirmed for Mariota and Frawley. All good deals.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Happy with all of those to be extended
Particularly like going year to year with Frawley
Yep agree. That’s exactly the right kind of deal for this kind of player. The longer deals for backup halves like Sam Williams in the past hamstrung us too often.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

So I think that leaves 2 FG spots for next year? Although I do remember Morkos having a guaranteed spot in the top 30 at some point in his deal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Crash Ball wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:02 pm So I think that leaves 2 FG spots for next year? Although I do remember Morkos having a guaranteed spot in the top 30 at some point in his deal.
Three on my count.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Yew

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some good young talent in there.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Nice work by the club here.

I’d say they got 80% of the re-signing decisions correct this week
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Players love playing for Stick
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Raiders666 wrote: July 20, 2022, 5:32 pm Players love playing for Stick
Yeah. That’s why our second halves are so strong - on the back of his motivational half time talks!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: July 20, 2022, 5:27 pm Nice work by the club here.

:lol: :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How Canberra Raiders great sealed rookie son Zac Woolford's two-year deal

Zac Woolford won't be expecting his father, Simon, to take up a managerial role full-time, despite the Raiders great successfully securing a two-year contract for the No.9.

"I told him I'll do this one and that's it. It's not something I enjoyed or something I plan to do again. Zac didn't want to get another manager involved because he wanted to stay in Canberra, he was happy there and felt he owed the Raiders, so we didn't want anyone shopping him around," Simon Woolford said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Rickmando wrote: July 20, 2022, 5:27 pm Nice work by the club here.

A man in the know , a percentage player , a comedian!

Run him down bro , run him down
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

It speaks volumes about NRL managers that the only way Woolford felt he could avoid getting shopped around was to use his old man as one.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Good for them, keep the 3-10% in their own pockets
Stay where you're happy.

Frankly he should be getting more minutes. I'd love to see him and Trevilyan splitting time and competing this off season to be a potential 80 minute hooker. I think we're a much better team when he's on the park.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Botman wrote:Good for them, keep the 3-10% in their own pockets
Stay where you're happy.

Frankly he should be getting more minutes. I'd love to see him and Trevilyan splitting time and competing this off season to be a potential 80 minute hooker. I think we're a much better team when he's on the park.
100% agree.

Josh Hodgson was sprouting Trevilyan’s prospects as a lock also. You would think between the both of them we could have a bigger body start at 13 (whitehead/ Rushton) and then these 2 switch between 9 and 14 while the 13 could transition into the front row as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Re-signed Matt Frawley embraces Canberra Raiders' halves brotherhood

Upon re-signing with the Raiders, Matt Frawley is excited to provide guidance for younger playmakers such as Brad Schneider, while being ready for NRL when ever needed.

"I've mentored him for the last couple of years and really enjoyed it," Frawley said. "It's an important part of my job. Sammy did this for a couple of years and did an awesome job, and I've stepped into that role.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2022, 8:25 pm Good for them, keep the 3-10% in their own pockets
Stay where you're happy.

Why doesn't he ever come back on to control the final fifteen/twenty minutes?

Seems like Woolford doing the first 30, Starling doing the next 20/30 and Woolford icing the game seems a much better system (IMHO) than Woolford 50 and then Starling 30 every single week.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
Botman wrote: July 20, 2022, 8:25 pm Good for them, keep the 3-10% in their own pockets
Stay where you're happy.

Seems like Woolford doing the first 30, Starling doing the next 20/30 and Woolford icing the game seems a much better system (IMHO) than Woolford 50 and then Starling 30 every single week.
the one time he came back on he setup the matchwinner.
Gotta be something to do with interchange rotation but he could easily play 13/9 with starling

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:13 pm
Crash Ball wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:02 pm So I think that leaves 2 FG spots for next year? Although I do remember Morkos having a guaranteed spot in the top 30 at some point in his deal.
Three on my count.
Is that three spots to fill before or after we have worked out the Wighton extension? And I'm guessing one will likely be Trevilyan so we potentially only have one spot to fill - is that correct?
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

The Nickman wrote: July 21, 2022, 11:32 am
Stay where you're happy.

Hey hey hey, go easy on the couch-coaching there Nickmando
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 21, 2022, 1:35 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:13 pm
Three on my count.
Is that three spots to fill before or after we have worked out the Wighton extension? And I'm guessing one will likely be Trevilyan so we potentially only have one spot to fill - is that correct?
Three left, assuming that Jack Wighton takes up his player option. I would be surprised if he went on the market.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' rookie prop Ata Mariota tipped for debut, compared to Josh Papalii

The 2022 season has seen a handful of fresh faces make their NRL debuts for the Canberra Raiders, and the next player tipped to get the honour, Ata Mariota, has drawn comparisons to star forward, Josh Papalii.

"He's not too far off. I wouldn't be surprised if he's next in line to make an NRL debut," Sia Soliola, said. "He's been compared a lot to Papa, with his size, build and strength being quite similar to big Paps. But he's come leaps and bounds in terms of his development, especially this year."

Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

I'm a huge fan of Mariota but I think that's a very big comparison to make. Especially when he will be playing in the middle from day one.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If he's half the player Papalii has been for us we're going to be incredibly lucky
Still very excited to usher in the new wave of Raiders forwards. Ruston, Mooney, Mariota should all get a lot of opportunities next year. A lot. Esera hopefully too at some point.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Stay where you're happy.

Weird isn't it.

It's like Ricky is still hedging his bets on trying to turn Starling into an all round hooker. At the moment I think he still sees that as the better player/higher ceiling option.

I'd be quite happy seeing Woolford close these games out. But if Ricky wants to keep working on Starlings game, I'm not up in arms.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: July 21, 2022, 7:56 pm
Stay where you're happy.

Weird isn't it.

It's like Ricky is still hedging his bets on trying to turn Starling into an all round hooker. At the moment I think he still sees that as the better player/higher ceiling option.

I'd be quite happy seeing Woolford close these games out. But if Ricky wants to keep working on Starlings game, I'm not up in arms.
Weirder than a 4ft man trying to stand over a nightclub bouncer I’d say!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: July 21, 2022, 7:17 pm If he's half the player Papalii has been for us we're going to be incredibly lucky
Still very excited to usher in the new wave of Raiders forwards. Ruston, Mooney, Mariota should all get a lot of opportunities next year. A lot. Esera hopefully too at some point.
You watch some of Mariota's highlights and you can tell he's been watching Papalii video. He's got that late right foot step at the line down pat.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders legend Brett Mullins backs nephew James Schiller to flaunt his own brand of 'twinkle'

Brett Mullins understands nephew James Schiller’s feelings about the weight of the family name.

"He wants to forge his own legacy, which is what he should be doing," Mullins said. "He's always going to get referenced back to me and my father, that's just part of life. I copped that through my career as well, but you take it on board and then make good with what you want to do.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger James Schiller forging his own history in family tree

NRL pedigree is no guarantee of a long rugby league career but a moment of individual brilliance has given James Schiller a good chance of succeeding.

“Obviously it’s great to have Brett as someone I can go to for advice but he probably speaks to me the least out of all my family and that’s sort of the way I guess it should be,” Schiller said. “He keeps his distance, but he also knows when to talk and what to talk about. He doesn’t say much but when he throws something at me, I’m definitely all ears.”

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/07/22/sch ... mily-tree/