Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Re: 2022 Rd 22 V Dragons: Game Day

Post by Kryptonite »

lets face it, it was a bludger of a game
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ve complained over the years about Guler’s poor defensive efforts and lack of full commitment when defending our line since 2019.

I was told it’s a maturity thing and as he develops he’ll improve in this area as he has a higher ceiling than other forwards in our squad.

I’m Just wondering when he’s going to improve in this key area?

If he’s really committed to his career, he needs to be doing his own fitness and agility extra’s this off season, as he occasionally offers so much with his carry and step near the line.

He seems disinterested in the boring stuff or when the going gets tough. But he can look good when we’re on top, or when we’re winning games.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 15, 2022, 8:39 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:I thought Papa, Sutton and Horse were awesome today, all running for over 100 metres. Guler only ran for 46 m so will have to make way for Tapine.

Sutton played his best game for us this year today, so too Whitehead. I don't recall any missed tackles or dropped ball from him today. He only gave away that one penalty when he put Lawrie in that awkward position. I don't think it was a crusher.

Savage was very consistent and had two try assists, no mistakes that I can recall. He really adds to our attack and needs to also attack on the right hand side.

Hoppa can put pressure on Cotric, I loved his tough runs.
Guler was poor. Low output with the ball and a poor missed tackle that led to their first try. Had a good shot on Amone and got nothing.

The guy plays with almost zero intensity too.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
First Savage, now Guler - you’re a hard man to please Seiff.

Nah I agree, Guler is punching out Betty White numbers.
Haha. I did have a crack at Tapine for finally pulling his finger out during contract negotiations too. The guy is a fraud. Image

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:I’ve complained over the years about Guler’s poor defensive efforts and lack of full commitment when defending our line since 2019.

I was told it’s a maturity thing and as he develops he’ll improve in this area as he has a higher ceiling than other forwards in our squad.

If he’s really committed to his career, he needs to be doing his own fitness and agility extra’s this off season, as he occasionally offers so much with his carry and step near the line.

He seems disinterested in the boring stuff or when the going gets tough. But he can look good when we’re on top, or when we’re winning games.
He's a bloke that should be dominating NSW Cup and can't even do that.

Depth player at best. It was a shame that Hors was hitting some really great form before his illness. Guler should be nowhere near starting an NRL game.

It also pisses me off that my phone randomly autocorrects Guler to Hyper and Tyler and an Austrian-born German politician, further wasting my valuable time. He needs to go.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 15, 2022, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

BJ wrote: August 15, 2022, 10:14 am I’ve complained over the years about Guler’s poor defensive efforts and lack of full commitment when defending our line since 2019.

He hasn't matured and at this point it looks like he won't at the Raiders. A few times he looked like he was ready to step up. A few back to back games where he was switched on, showing he had a higher ceiling. Disinterested seems the best way to describe it.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

julian87 wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:14 am The suggestion of picking Hopoate over Cotric is absolutely insane. Hopoate has stepped up and had a dig but let's be serious here.
Cotric seems to have plateaued and isn’t anywhere near a top tear winger in the NRL. Hoppa and Schiller both may have more improvements in their games. You can not tell me we are $600k worth of output from Cotric. Hoppa has made more breaks in 2 weeks than Cotric has made in 2 seasons and both players are still below par. Cotric is too bulky, too slow, crabs across field too much and gets lauded for some fairly standard finishes.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:I’ve complained over the years about Guler’s poor defensive efforts and lack of full commitment when defending our line since 2019.

He's a bloke that should be dominating NSW Cup and can't even do that.

Depth player at best. It was a shame that Hors was hitting some really great form before his illness. Guler should be nowhere near starting an NRL game.

It also pisses me off that my phone randomly autocorrects Guler to Hyper and Tyler and an Austrian-born German politician, further wasting my valuable time. He needs to go.

This is the best reason so far on the GH to drop a player Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders crowd records new ‘footy quake’ high

THE NRL crowd in Canberra yesterday measured a new “footy quake” record, with the ground moving at 15 micrometres per second.

In 2017, the Canberra Raiders played the St George Illawarra Dragons, where the first Australian National University (ANU) measurement of “footy quakes” was undertaken. ANU Professor Malcolm Sambridge says yesterday’s footy quake measurement was 25 per cent larger than what they recorded in 2017.

Read more: https://citynews.com.au/2022/raiders-cr ... uake-high/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL football boss Graham Annesley reveals why the referee got the ruling right on last play in Canberra Raiders win over Dragons

The NRL has explained how the officials made the call right to not award St George Illawarra a penalty from 15m out which could have sent the match against the Canberra Raiders to golden point.

“Not only could we not have restarted play because the tackle had been complete and hadn’t restarted, but we also couldn’t have restarted play because they’d knocked on in the ruck,” Annesley said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5b42d26f3a

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

VIDEO: Annesley analyses final play of Raiders v Dragons: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/08/15/ann ... v-dragons/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So Anasta, Brandy and Ennis can all pull their heads in…
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The manufactured outrage about the decision was just that.

Tackle made with less than 3 seconds on the clock. The average PTB speed for the game was 3.79 seconds (for both teams). CHN was in no way obligated to get off the tackle early for the Dragons to have another crack. The final push from him was after the siren.

Such a nothing story.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: August 15, 2022, 3:07 pm So Anasta, Brandy and Ennis can all pull their heads in…
Braith at least admitted on NRL 360 that he got it wrong, after looking at the evidence today and hearing the time keeper counting down in the referee’s ear.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Billy Walker wrote: August 15, 2022, 11:45 am
julian87 wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:14 am The suggestion of picking Hopoate over Cotric is absolutely insane. Hopoate has stepped up and had a dig but let's be serious here.
Cotric seems to have plateaued and isn’t anywhere near a top tear winger in the NRL. Hoppa and Schiller both may have more improvements in their games. You can not tell me we are $600k worth of output from Cotric. Hoppa has made more breaks in 2 weeks than Cotric has made in 2 seasons and both players are still below par. Cotric is too bulky, too slow, crabs across field too much and gets lauded for some fairly standard finishes.
600k output would be fantastic because we're not paying him that.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:NRL football boss Graham Annesley reveals why the referee got the ruling right on last play in Canberra Raiders win over Dragons

The NRL has explained how the officials made the call right to not award St George Illawarra a penalty from 15m out which could have sent the match against the Canberra Raiders to golden point.

“Not only could we not have restarted play because the tackle had been complete and hadn’t restarted, but we also couldn’t have restarted play because they’d knocked on in the ruck,” Annesley said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5b42d26f3a

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

VIDEO: Annesley analyses final play of Raiders v Dragons: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/08/15/ann ... v-dragons/
Hmmmmm... getting on your soapbox and claiming the officials got it right - particularly suggesting the bunker would have got it right - is a big **** stretch given the numerous times they have completely ballsed it up this year.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is there more to that Annesley explanation? Because that makes absolutely no sense to me

Couldn’t be penalised because play couldn’t be restarted due to dropping the ball? Am I reading that right? What on earth does that mean?!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

kona_dream wrote:What do you mean? It is pretty clear cut. Dragons could have challenged but they blew theirs on the kickoff dead challenge. If it was a penalty against raiders they could have challenged.
Good luck finding 3 people who are confident they understand what can be challenged and when with the end of a game.

Even if you do I reckon you’ll have 3 different answers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: August 15, 2022, 7:43 pm Is there more to that Annesley explanation? Because that makes absolutely no sense to me Image

Couldn’t be penalised because play couldn’t be restarted due to dropping the ball? Am I reading that right? What on earth does that mean?!
You can watch the whole video at the link above. The video evidence is highly conclusive.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Don’t get me wrong. I think the right call was made. But that line of reasoning is baffling.

Is he saying even if a penalty were justified, because he drops the ball the game instantly ends and they can’t give the penalty? If so that’s ludicrous.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

gangrenous wrote:Don’t get me wrong. I think the right call was made. But that line of reasoning is baffling.

Is he saying even if a penalty were justified, because he drops the ball the game instantly ends and they can’t give the penalty? If so that’s ludicrous.
I took it as the drop ball happened after full time

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 15, 2022, 8:15 pm Don’t get me wrong. I think the right call was made. But that line of reasoning is baffling.

He basically said this:

- The official time keeper called fulltime prior to any infraction made by the raiders, the ball was not in play so the official was right to call time off, confirm the Dragons couldnt challenge and then call fulltime.
- Even if the dragons did have a challenge and they used it, it would have been unsuccessful because the Dragons player lost the football in the ruck without any interference, the ruck interference after time expires didnt cause the football to come loose, it was already lost.

He didnt say this, but the basic reading of it was CHN's only infraction was the 2nd push at the end but by then the game clock had expired and because the ball was not live, the game was over, and even if challenged, the correct call would have been lost football in the tackle and a knock on against the Dragons

Unless Annesley cooked the evidence, i agree with GE, what was laid down by him today was fairly conclusive. And im happy to say whilst live it looked like we got lucky, it does seem like the dragons just ran out of time and the call was clearly correct.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cheers - That makes more sense and that was how I saw it. I’ll have to listen to see how the quote from GE fits into that, because stand-alone it seems bizarre…

P.S. apology accepted
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: August 15, 2022, 8:20 pm
gangrenous wrote:Don’t get me wrong. I think the right call was made. But that line of reasoning is baffling.

I took it as the drop ball happened after full time

Looking at the split screen, it looked like it first came loose just before time expired, to me anyway.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d have more faith in the Bunker making the most game deciding decision than making the correct decision. Lucky the Dragons blew their challenge on a ridiculous call.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:05 pm I’d have more faith in the Bunker making the most game deciding decision than making the correct decision. Lucky the Dragons blew their challenge on a ridiculous call.
I can’t say I’d be confident the bunker would have made the right call either, if it had gone to a challenge.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2022 Rd 22 V Dragons: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Listened to the full thing. I think it’s a really bad/confusing explanation from Annesley.

All he needs to say is that Dragons couldn’t challenge the ruck interference because it happened after full time. Even if had happened in game time it still wouldn’t be a penalty as it’s lost without interference. All that restart business is a confusing waste of space.

Actually I take that back - I see what he’s saying since if the ball was in play it wouldn’t immediately stop a challenge after the siren
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:27 pm
BJ wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:05 pm I’d have more faith in the Bunker making the most game deciding decision than making the correct decision. Lucky the Dragons blew their challenge on a ridiculous call.
I can’t say I’d be confident the bunker would have made the right call either, if it had gone to a challenge.
I dont think there is any real reason to believe had the bunker been involved they'd have missed the obvious knock on highlighted by Annesley
But i guess that's where we are with the bunker, fans have no confidence in them at all
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

After Annesley explained how a clearly thrown forward pass by Crichton for the Roosters, wasn’t forward because the player he passed to was behind him when he passed it, I have little faith in what the Bunker or Referees Boss will come up with.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:27 pm
I dont think there is any real reason to believe had the bunker been involved they'd have missed the obvious knock on highlighted by Annesley
But i guess that's where we are with the bunker, fans have no confidence in them at all
I trust the BotBadger

Any of those other clowns. It’s roulette.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:After Annesley explained how a clearly thrown forward pass by Crichton for the Roosters, wasn’t forward because the player he passed to was behind him when he passed it, I have little faith in what the Bunker or Referees Boss will come up with.
Haha... Shirley he didn't say that?

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:After Annesley explained how a clearly thrown forward pass by Crichton for the Roosters, wasn’t forward because the player he passed to was behind him when he passed it, I have little faith in what the Bunker or Referees Boss will come up with.

Shirley it’s true Gergreg. See video link below at the start, so it’s a quick watch.

I had a good side on view of this pass live, and after Crichton double pumped it, he threw it clearly forwards out of the hands. Wasn’t even close to flat and all the crowd around us went off in unison and my Roosters supporting mate (well the Dad of my sons mate) said they got away with one there.

Watch Annesley choose poorly timed images to minimise how far forward the ball traveled and then explain how the receiving player always remained behind the passer.

What should have been simply accepted as the kind of forward pass that are thrown every game (and either called or not called) suddenly got a forensic explanation that would confuse refs when trying to make a quick live decision on a forward pass. No wonder Touchies are loath to call a pass forward when they’re told this interpretation.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/06/gra ... -round-13/
Ray170
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Ray170 »

Just watched it. My God. What a terrible terrible explanation. He has confused himself in the end.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Shirley it’s true Gergreg. See video link below at the start, so it’s a quick watch.

I had a good side on view of this pass live, and after Crichton double pumped it, he threw it clearly forwards out of the hands. Wasn’t even close to flat and all the crowd around us went off in unison and my Roosters supporting mate (well the Dad of my sons mate) said they got away with one there.

Watch Annesley choose poorly timed images to minimise how far forward the ball traveled and then explain how the receiving player always remained behind the passer.

What should have been simply accepted as the kind of forward pass that are thrown every game (and either called or not called) suddenly got a forensic explanation that would confuse refs when trying to make a quick live decision on a forward pass. No wonder Touchies are loath to call a pass forward when they’re told this interpretation.

Is he drunk? The more he talked the less convincing he became.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Is he drunk? The more he talked the less convincing he became.

Glad you checked it out Gergreg. Certainly one of the most bizarre attempts by Annesley to try and defend a forward pass, all because the Daily Telegraph commented that it was clearly thrown forward.

If the refs had consistently applied his complex logic since round 13, they would have hardly called another forward pass so far this year.

Thankfully they’ve ignored the receiving player behind the passer rule and gone back to the traditional call.