Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders make club statement on Ricky Stuart press conference

Post by Azza »

Peak GH this thread.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL hand down Ricky Stuart ban as Raiders coach cops $25k fine for Salmon outburst

The NRL has suspended Raiders coach Ricky Stuart for one match and issued a $25,000 fine for the post-match spray where Panthers player Jaeman Salmon was labelled “a weak-gutted dog”.

The one-week suspension means Stuart is banned from attending Canberra Raiders training for seven days as well as the Raiders must-win round 22 match against St George Illawarra at GIO Stadium on Monday.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bf3f5ee86a

Ricky Stuart breach notice

The National Rugby League (NRL) today issued Canberra Raiders Head Coach Ricky Stuart with a breach notice after comments directed towards Penrith Panthers Player Jaeman Salmon.

The Breach Notice proposes a fine for Stuart of $25,000 and a suspension from all club activities with the Canberra Raiders for one full week commencing 4pm today (Tuesday, 9 August).

The period of suspension prohibits Stuart from performing any duties as Head Coach of the Raiders, including attendance at team or individual training or coaching sessions or the Raiders’ facilities.

Furthermore, he cannot provide instruction or direction to the team, individual players or Club Officials during the period of suspension including before, during or after any matches within this period.

Stuart will be unable to return to coaching duties until 4pm on Tuesday, 16 August.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said there was no place in the game for public comments of that nature.

“Leaders need to set the standard in the game. The comments are completely unacceptable from any individual let alone an official of such experience and standing.” Mr Abdo said.

“This is a highly unusual case, and we have taken the significant step of proposing a suspension from his duties for one week. This will be a full suspension precluding Ricky from having any involvement with any club activity either in person or remotely. Furthermore, the fine must not be paid by the Club but by Ricky himself.”

The NRL will now work with both clubs to ensure the wellbeing of the individuals concerned.

Stuart will have five business days to respond to the breach notice.

NRL media release
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Quick call a Whambulance!
Ricky only got 1 week and $25K!!
Should have been sacked followed by a public tar and feathering!

Somebody think about all the feelings he hurt!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart banned for one match and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

Post by greeneyed »

In all the circumstances, I think the sanction is reasonable.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Love4Noa wrote: August 9, 2022, 2:51 pm I had written a very long post about the idiocy displayed by some people on here.
Simply - I stand with Ricky Stuart and will defend him for protecting his children and his players.

He's done a lot more for society than the 'poor kid' who's also involved in this story.

When Phil Gould suggests the historical details should remain quiet, I tend to agree. There are no winners.
But I absolutely know who's contributing more to society. And it's clearly the bloke that 'fans' seem intent on running out of town.

You'd do well to remember that without Furner and Stuart around, the club that you 'support' would likely cease to exist. And cry foul all you want - but the reality is the NRL said as much in 2015.
Enjoy the footy team while you can or beware getting what you want.

I've said it before - but I'm done with this forum. It's pretty disgusting and a mirror of the vitriol spewed about on other social media.
And lets hope you never have to defend people who can't defend themselves.
No one likes to see decent contributors leave the forum. And hopefully you reconsider.

But I will just say, the absence of unanimous happy clapping on the greenhouse does not mean the forum is some vitriolic cesspit of unfair criticism towards the players, coaches and staff.

I would say that raiders fans are actually some of the most patient in the comp.

I reckon anecdotally 90% of fans don’t actually even want Ricky sacked, despite him failing dismally 2 seasons in a row.

Most would probably settle for some fresh voices in the assistants chair, as well as some indication from the club that the fountain of goodwill and tolerance for failure isn’t infinite.

I don’t think there are many other clubs where the sentiment would be so forgiving. In fact I am almost certain most Sydney clubs would have sacked him by now. Or at least the conga line of contract extensions would have slowed up.

Even a lower profile club like Cronulla is happy to move on a coach like Morris despite Sharks being a borderline finals team for most of his tenure.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ricky Stuart banned for one match and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2022, 4:14 pm In all the circumstances, I think the sanction is reasonable.
Agree. I would like to see the club make a follow up statement. No need to add to this sanction but do draw a line in the sand about expectations and make it clear anything similar won’t be tolerated in future.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

GreenMachine wrote:Quick call a Whambulance!

When was the last time you heard of a coach being suspended?

I think the NRL have been very clear about what they think of Stuart's behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Standards indeed.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart hit with one-game suspension, $25k fine for 'weak-gutted dog' attack

The NRL has banned Ricky Stuart from coaching the Canberra Raiders this weekend, slapping him with a one-week suspension and a $25,000 fine for his post-match personal attack.

The NRL announced the punishment on Tuesday afternoon. They issued Stuart with a breach notice after he described Penrith's Jaeman Salmon as a "weak gutted dog" last weekend.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

Ricky Stuart cops one week ban for ‘weak-gutted dog’ slur: https://canberraweekly.com.au/ricky-stu ... -dog-slur/

'Leaders need to set standard': Stuart banned for Salmon comments: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/08/09/lea ... -comments/

Club statement: Ricky Stuart sanction

The Canberra Raiders and Head Coach Ricky Stuart recognise and accept the sanction handed down by the NRL today, following comments in last weekend’s post-match press conference.

The NRL has fined Stuart $25,000 and suspended him for one week. This means he will not be available to coach the team against the St George-Illawarra Dragons this Sunday at Canberra Stadium.

The Raiders assistant coaches will take charge of the team during this period and for the game on Sunday afternoon.

Canberra Raiders club statment

VIDEO: NRL CEO Andrew Abdo addresses Ricky Stuart breach notice: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/08/09/abd ... ch-notice/

AUDIO: Belcher backs Stuart but admits actions were regrettable: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/08/ ... grettable/
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

T_R wrote: August 9, 2022, 4:20 pm
GreenMachine wrote:Quick call a Whambulance!

When was the last time you heard of a coach being suspended?

I think the NRL have been very clear about what they think of Stuart's behaviour.

Only a matter of time.

Many sports suspend coaches for all kinds of indiscretions…given Ricky’s volatility I’m only surprised it’s taken this long..
But I could care less if I’m honest.

I don’t want Ricky sacked on the back of outrage for the sake of outrage led by media stooges who on one hand lap up his side line theatrics and even laud it!…yet on the other, they want to hang him for being…well, for lack of a better word, Himself. No thanks. **** off with that garbage.

Sack him because he’s inept at coaching or fails his KPI’s.. write THAT storyline thanks…give us an indication that they actually care about football at the Raiders…

I don’t ‘do’ Court of Public opinion on matters that have nothing to do with football because quite frankly, the public in general are proven to be moronic…quick to judge and attack and slow or reluctant to listen.

Suspension handed…**** dealt with, time to move on now. Let’s pretend to be upset with something else now….
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Billy Walker wrote: August 8, 2022, 11:25 pm Have a quick flick through these links to get a sense of how a professional sporting club operates and then google “raiders team values” and see how you go:

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20T ... 8%20LR.pdf

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20T ... lesWeb.pdf
Pretty impressive stuff. However, and someone else may have pointed this out, these AFL Clubs don't have poker machine revenue and are also membership-driven. If they don't have members they don't have a team. Whereas the Raiders Group don't actually need any fans at all.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

Post by Botman »

Stuart is probably lucky in both the monetary fine and the suspension

Both on the lighter side of what I thought would be acceptable.

I’d like to think Stuart has learnt a thing or two about professionalism and how he should conduct himself from this fiasco. But I doubt he’s spent a single second on self reflection in these few days and nor will he in the week to come.
Last edited by Botman on August 9, 2022, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: August 9, 2022, 5:46 pm Stuart is probably lucky in both the monetary fine and the suspension

Both on the lighter side of what I thought would be acceptable.

I’d like to think Stuart has learnt a thing or two about professionalism and he should conduct himself from this fiasco. But I doubt he’s spent a single second on self reflecting in these days and nor will he in the week to come.
True. But realistically he should have been fined a year's pay just for using 1920s language in the 2020s.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

A bit shorter than the permanent ban most of us were hoping for…
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If Ricky doesn't do a Jose Mourinho and sneak in via a locked laundry cart then he isn't even trying.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Love4Noa wrote:I had written a very long post about the idiocy displayed by some people on here.
Simply - I stand with Ricky Stuart and will defend him for protecting his children and his players.

He's done a lot more for society than the 'poor kid' who's also involved in this story.

When Phil Gould suggests the historical details should remain quiet, I tend to agree. There are no winners.
But I absolutely know who's contributing more to society. And it's clearly the bloke that 'fans' seem intent on running out of town.

You'd do well to remember that without Furner and Stuart around, the club that you 'support' would likely cease to exist. And cry foul all you want - but the reality is the NRL said as much in 2015.

I've said it before - but I'm done with this forum. It's pretty disgusting and a mirror of the vitriol spewed about on other social media.
I don’t really post here anymore like you know but well said. My thoughts exactly.

And yeah the club do read the forum but I won’t tell you how this forum is perceived. GE does a lot of good work on here and I respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Love4Noa wrote:I had written a very long post about the idiocy displayed by some people on here.

Ive read this a few times to try to understand the argument. Ricky does more for society than a twenty year old fringe first grade, and therefore has the right to abuse him on national television? I just don't get it.

On the other point, if the Raiders are so dependent on two people that the organisational will fold if they leave, then they need to put a board in place that is competent to ensure the proper management of the company. That's appalling, if true.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The club is not going to fold under the weight of any coach or ceo's departure :lol:

The whole **** point of this club is that the Raiders Group make plenty enough money to sustain this vanity project as an avenue to give their mates **** jobs but they dont really care how it performs because it really isnt a major prirority for them and nor does it majorly impact the bottom line

Now if Pokies ever got banned, we might have some problems (as would most most NRL clubs mind you), though the last time i looked into this it seemed the Raiders Group were trying to diversifying their income streams so they werent as wholely reliant on pokies as they once were.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

At the very least, at a management level this needs to be a first and last warning to Stuart.
He cannot manage a bench rotation, let alone his anger and pettiness about something that happened years ago.
Last chance Rick
And drop whitehead, he's nsw cup standard these days
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2022, 4:14 pm In all the circumstances, I think the sanction is reasonable.
Yeah I thought 2 games might be on the cards but I'm ok with this. Any ideas on him being sacked were completely unrealistic, as were any that he shouldn't be punished.
Wonder if panthers fans will have a new bark to add to the viking clap next year.
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

I’m sure the Club is taking note of suggestions from this forum, as I type.

Change will start as from tomorrow. I can confirm from good sources that termination letters will be handed out and a public flogging of Ricky will be taking place in Garema Square 12pm tomorrow, followed by tarring and feathering. That’ll learn him and his family, how dare he stand up for them, how dare he stand up for his autistic daughter.

I can confirm that the orange peeler will also not attend this Sundays game, as much to blame as Donny.

The toilet cleaner has been asked to run the fire hose over the whole place, bleach cleaning every nook, corner and cupboard.

And no more free coffee and bikkies in the players breakout area, Donny said they can pay for their own coffee and scotch fingers, bunch of underperformers.

Btw Donny advises me he doesn’t believe in Santa and was impressed by McDonalds upgrading my medium cheese burger meal and wants the same deal.
Last edited by CRaid on August 9, 2022, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Currently on the other side of the world and writing this on a train from Birmingham to London, but from what I can see it does seem to be a lot of carry on about nothing.

I don’t think we will ever know why Ricky has these feelings to Salmon. As we know, Ricky has chosen to give his daughter and her medical condition a high profile, and I imagine that has probably given some ammunition to be offensive and I couldn’t imagine Ricky taking that well. Whether that has anything to do with this incident I have no idea.

Rugby League history is entirely based on long standing and often baseless grudges.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

CRaid wrote: August 9, 2022, 8:25 pm I’m sure the Club is taking note of suggestions from this forum, as I type.

Change will start as from tomorrow. I can confirm from good sources that termination letters will be handed out and a public flogging of Ricky will be taking place in Garema Square 12pm tomorrow, followed by tarring and feathering. That’ll learn him and his family, how dare he stand up for them, how dare he stand up for his autistic daughter.

I can confirm that the orange peeler will also not attend this Sundays game, as much to blame as Donny.

The toilet cleaner has been asked to run the fire hose over the whole place, bleach cleaning every nook, corner and cupboard.

And no more free coffee and bikkies in the players breakout area, Donny said they can pay for their own coffee and scotch fingers, bunch of underperformers.

Btw Donny advises me he doesn’t believe in Santa and was impressed by McDonalds upgrading my medium cheese burger meal and wants the same deal.
Of all the things you've said, i think continued posting about eating McDonalds has lowered my estimation of you most.
I promise you there are better fast food burgers out there in the world than Maccas. I say this a portly gentleman who enjoys a burger myself. If you're going to eat crap, at least get the good stuff.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Botman wrote:
CRaid wrote: August 9, 2022, 8:25 pm I’m sure the Club is taking note of suggestions from this forum, as I type.

Of all the things you've said, i think continued posting about eating McDonalds has lowered my estimation of you most.
I promise you there are better fast food burgers out there in the world than Maccas. I say this a portly gentleman who enjoys a burger myself. If you're going to eat crap, at least get the good stuff.
Look, McDonalds is certainly fairly low on the totem pole, but it's also fairly reliable and consistent. You aren't going to get any rude surprises with a Maccas burger. It wouldn't be my first choice, but there's nothing wrong with a quarter pounder once in a while when it's 1am and everything else is closed

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider Azz wrote: August 9, 2022, 8:57 pm
Botman wrote:

Look, McDonalds is certainly fairly low on the totem pole, but it's also fairly reliable and consistent. You aren't going to get any rude surprises with a Maccas burger. It wouldn't be my first choice, but there's nothing wrong with a quarter pounder once in a while when it's 1am and everything else is closed

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
With Chicken Gormet gone the way of the Dodo, what choices people make between midnight and 6am are entirely their own and i support it.
But we're talking a midday burger here. We can do better and we need to demand better of ourselves.
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

@Botman
I’m only joking about the Maccas, I’m a Vegan (the worst type). At least I was once before I tried a burger at G’rild on a low carb bun with mayo, yummy. Im now only a vegan, Mon - Fri, 7am to 7pm.

I don’t know if I should be embarrassed, humiliated or inducted in the hall of shame, however I must admit this forum (and especially this thread) gives me an uneasy feeling, deep in the stomach, that I may have crossed that imaginary line that you thought you’d never cross, if you know what I mean.

To think people believe the NRL have taken this decision to protect the integrity of the game. This is the same organisation that has a magic round (to solve all the issues the game has ever experienced), changes all the rules for 3 games a year, allows elbows in faces, players being kicked in the family treasures, decision making based on postcodes and presents a players wife with a diamond ring.

Hahaha, they dont fool me bit. As my grandmother used to say its always greener on the other side (but that was in relation to another issue).
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

CRaid wrote: August 9, 2022, 8:25 pm That’ll learn him and his family, how dare he stand up for them, how dare he stand up for his autistic daughter.
Of all of this little kerfuffle, the idea that this is somehow related to Stuart's daughter is the part that gets me. For most people, it's the only thing they know about his private life, so they instantly make the leap, based on absolutely nothing.

The leap that Stuart is then somehow 'standing up' for his daughter by calling someone a 'dog' 10 years after something may or may not have happened is another impressive one, but I guess once you've talked yourself into A, then B kinda follows a bit, I guess.

Now both these narratives becoming accepted would suit Stuart very well, as to some it would give a vague sense of nobility to his otherwise infantile, petulant display, but I just can't see an iota of evidence for either.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: fair enough. Toot on, sir. Toot on
(Though admittedly im not a grilled fan, im in the woden area and we have a brodburger stand and a newly minted Grease Monkey's, which generally sort my hangover/burger needs out)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: August 9, 2022, 9:24 pm :lol: fair enough. Toot on, sir. Toot on
(Though admittedly im not a grilled fan, im in the woden area and we have a brodburger stand and a newly minted Grease Monkey's, which generally sort my hangover/burger needs out)
https://www.ricksgarage.com.au/

Best burgers in Australia, should you ever find yourself up this way

CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

@TR
Thank you for expressing your contrarian views, most greatful for youre insightfulness into this mattar.

I’m shore that, you being an upstanding member of society and the keeper of all moral values on this forum, should always be taken seriously.

*few spellos there buddy just to keep you satisfied, you being an integral administrator of this forum.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

CRaid wrote: August 9, 2022, 9:35 pm @TR
Thank you for expressing your contrarian views, most greatful for youre insightfulness into this mattar.

I’m shore that, you being an upstanding member of society and the keeper of all moral values on this forum, should always be taken seriously.

*few spellos there buddy just to keep you satisfied, you being an integral administrator of this forum.
Of your 50 odd posts, about 40 are you mocking other posters, and explaining how superior you are.

I'm quite surprised that you'd bother, but each to their own.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: August 9, 2022, 9:26 pm
Botman wrote: August 9, 2022, 9:24 pm :lol: fair enough. Toot on, sir. Toot on
https://www.ricksgarage.com.au/

Best burgers in Australia, should you ever find yourself up this way
I am unlikely to be anywhere near it, but by god it's stored in my phone now if ever i am.
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

@TR

Im a newbie here, just learning the ropes on how to lay **** on others. I see you’re pretty good with that, that’s what 17,000 posts does I suppose. You can only learn from the best, that’s what my grandpa used to say.

Please treat me gently.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

CRaid wrote: August 9, 2022, 9:47 pm @TR

Im a newbie here, just learning the ropes on how to lay **** on others. I see you’re pretty good with that, that’s what 17,000 posts does I suppose. You can only learn from the best, that’s what my grandpa used to say.

Please treat me gently.
I'm glad the forum is providing something that you clearly need. Enjoy.

CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

@TR

Ohh it is indeed. The best part is you taking the bait each and every time. I’d have thought after 17,000 posts you’d have picked up on that. Maybe you’re not as smart as you think.

Have a good night
Last edited by CRaid on August 9, 2022, 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.