Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders make club statement on Ricky Stuart press conference

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote:
The Nickman wrote: August 8, 2022, 7:20 pm
GreenMachine wrote:I’m far from Ricky’s biggest supporter…
In fact I want him replaced on coaching failures alone…
But this rubbish… being allowed or even used as an excuse to remove him from coaching is exactly why society has fallen in a heap…

Outrage for the sake of outrage …it’s ridiculous.
Society has fallen in a heap? Wh… when did that happen?

I only had my phone switched off for two days!
Don’t insult me …I identify as a Phone.
I’ll sue you..
The fact you use the lame and completely unfunny “I identify as” joke tells me all I need to know about you, your character and just why you think society has “fallen in a heap”.

So not much point engaging with you on this topic anymore, I wish you the best day you’re capable of having.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raider Azz wrote:
CRaid wrote:@TR
Let me repeat …
In my opinion there are some posters that have a very much inflated view of their importance in the whole equation.

And please accept my sincere apologies, I didn’t realise you are the keeper of all moral values on this forum. Ive changed my view based on your opinion(s)(s)(s)(s), Ricky definitely needs to be flogged in Garema Place in front of the Salmon familty.
Don't bother CRaid, T_R has never ever lost his temper nor has he ever said something he later regretted. You'll just get some holier than thou sarcastic response. Not worth engaging with as he doesn't argue in good faith EDIT

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
I guess that 'looking forward to not engaging with me' didn't include popping up with snide remarks.

EDIT

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: August 9, 2022, 5:25 am Wow. He still can’t seperate the issues. What happened 12 years ago isn’t the reason behind his comments, it the reason he has beef. I don’t think anyone here has an issue that he has beef with someone that has attacked his family in some way. Holding that grudge against a kid for 12 years is questionable.

But the issue here is not with his beef, it’s using his position and platform to personally attack someone. It’s not on, and the fact he still can’t seperate those 2 things is genuinely concerning. The fact the club has done a really poor job of distancing itself and setting a standard here is also exceptionally dissapointing.
Coastal in fairness, I think he has separated those two things. His apology was focused on him acknowledging he shouldn’t have used the platform to say what he did. It wasn’t about Salmon or the opinion he holds of him which I expect he will never change (rightly or wrongly).

In terms of the club, I think the response is weak. The NRL doesn’t always get things right but it has a crack. When a player falls foul of the law, the NRL at times steps in ahead of the law and stands a player down pending the legal outcome. On other occasions it imposes additional penalties on top of whatever the courts decide. What it doesn’t do is weakly hide behind the legal system and say we will accept whatever happens.

Ricky is employed by the raiders and it’s not good enough that the raiders just outsource accountability and standards here by essentially saying that whether he receives a sternly worded letter from NRL or is banned for the rest of the season, we are good with it - because heaven forbid we should ever stand in judgement on one of the boys.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon we all agree Ricky chose the wrong forum to voice his personal opinion of Salmon. He doubled down on it not long after and then someone has got in his ear and he apologized.

The Club does not have any option but to agree with whatever NRL sanction is coming. The Raiders will then assess what they should do. I reckon the Club have the order right.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: August 9, 2022, 7:50 am I reckon we all agree Ricky chose the wrong forum to voice his personal opinion of Salmon. He doubled down on it not long after and then someone has got in his ear and he apologized.

The Club does not have any option but to agree with whatever NRL sanction is coming. The Raiders will then assess what they should do. I reckon the Club have the order right.
So Red you think the club will do something other than just say we except the NRL outcome, we are supporting Ricky, let’s move on?
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

The club is not going to sanction him any further. Honestly if they were going to do anything they would have put a press release out straight away not sat on their hands for 2 days before releasing a by the numbers press release.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: August 9, 2022, 5:30 am
GreenMachine wrote:
But this rubbish… being allowed or even used as an excuse to remove him from coaching is exactly why society has fallen in a heap…

I’ll sue you..
The fact you use the lame and completely unfunny “I identify as” joke tells me all I need to know about you, your character and just why you think society has “fallen in a heap”.

So not much point engaging with you on this topic anymore, I wish you the best day you’re capable of having.
Consider yourself cancelled snowflake.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Based on what I've heard about what happened years ago and Salmon's family's reaction (or non-reaction) I can empathise with Stuart's feelings about the bloke.

Hell, my son's Unders 13s team had a trial against Pennant Hills this year and there were two players on their team who deliberately hit our players high with swinging arms and shouted expletives at our coaches and parents after they got sent off.

I'm not losing any sleep feeling animosity about those kids.

Having said that he shouldn't have commented on it. He should have just said "next question "or something. Deserves the fine/suspension.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

GreenMachine wrote: August 9, 2022, 10:19 am
GreenMachine wrote:

I’ll sue you..

It's funny how it's usually the over-sensitive types who use the word snowflake.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

RedRaider wrote: August 9, 2022, 7:50 am I reckon we all agree Ricky chose the wrong forum to voice his personal opinion of Salmon. He doubled down on it not long after and then someone has got in his ear and he apologized.

That's pretty much it. They have experience with having whatever they decided overruled or modified by the NRL so they always work with them these days as a starting point.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

thedevilingreen wrote: August 9, 2022, 9:46 am The club is not going to sanction him any further. Honestly if they were going to do anything they would have put a press release out straight away not sat on their hands for 2 days before releasing a by the numbers press release.
Yup the press release was essentially confirmation Ricky is bigger than the club at this point. They don't seem to consider he was using the Raiders as a tool to fight his personal battles from 10 years ago, or they don't perceive that to be worth calling out.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

hrundi89 wrote: August 9, 2022, 10:30 am
GreenMachine wrote:

I’ll sue you..

It's funny how it's usually the over-sensitive types who use the word snowflake.
Whattya you mean funny? Funny how?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

GreenMachine wrote: August 9, 2022, 10:39 am
GreenMachine wrote:
I’ll sue you..

Funny as in hilarious...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

hrundi89 wrote: August 9, 2022, 10:41 am
GreenMachine wrote: August 9, 2022, 10:39 am

Funny as in hilarious...
...But I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Yes yes we've all seen Goodfellas.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

hrundi89 wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:
The Nickman wrote: August 8, 2022, 7:20 pm Society has fallen in a heap? Wh… when did that happen?

I’ll sue you..

Yeah, the irony of being called a snowflake by someone obviously triggered by the things this guy is triggered by is not lost on me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

So much personal animosity in this thread.

Quite ironic given the subject matter. Lol

Anyway, let's send a real message [to whoever the **** it is that cares] and suspend the bloke for a year, or sack him. And then lump the NRL sanction on top of it.

Should help our position on the table too, or team selections at the very least.

This place. Seriously.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 9, 2022, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: August 9, 2022, 11:22 am
hrundi89 wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:
I’ll sue you..

Yeah, the irony of being called a snowflake by someone obviously triggered by the things this guy is triggered by is not lost on me.
Triggered by what? The overreaction for a coach calling a player a weak gutted dog? Lets get the pitch forks out for THAT reason....Naughty Ricky! How dare he offend....LMAO!
Forget the fact his actual coaching has been questionable/irrelevant to say the least..
Stop with your hubris...NickBait.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Rickmando wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:47 pm That’s a weak apology. Great, let’s enable this egomaniacal man-child further shall we?

I stopped giving my money to this club a few years ago in protest of this bronze-age buffoon running our club.

Now, I’m actually going to stop my support. Thanks Canberra Raiders, it genuinely has been a great 35 years or so, but I’m done.
It's a sad day Rickmando, I'll miss your posts.

Are the alts done too?
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Just sayin'
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Can someone PM me with what actually happened with Ricks son and Salmon??
TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dusty wrote: August 9, 2022, 1:19 pm Can someone PM me with what actually happened with Ricks son and Salmon??
TIA

No one knows. There's one clown here PMing around a rumour that was started on Reddit yesterday, but it's completely made up.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: August 9, 2022, 1:25 pm
Dusty wrote: August 9, 2022, 1:19 pm Can someone PM me with what actually happened with Ricks son and Salmon??
TIA

No one knows. There's one clown here PMing around a rumour that was started on Reddit yesterday, but it's completely made up.
Dusty - setting rumours aside, in your own mind think of the absolute worst thing an 11 year old could have done. I’d expect you’ll come up with something pretty awful because as many have noted on here kids can be very cruel.

Now think about how a normally functioning adult might appropriately respond to the horrible act of an 11 year old.

Contrast that with how Ricky chose to respond.

What an 11 year old child did 12 years ago is irrelevant to this discussion. People including Paul Kent seem to struggle with that concept.

No matter how heinous the act was, the correct way to address it was not to have a physical altercation with the father at the time and then raise it using your public platform to shame the kid and his family 12 years later.

Search through the rumours and land on whatever you believe the truth of the incident to be, but it actually isn’t relevant. Ricky’s horribly poor response to the incident is what is up for debate here.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Actually, Ricky’s horribly poor response isn’t up for debate as that race has been run and won with both Ricky and the club acknowledging he was in the wrong. The debate remaining is around what an appropriate sanction looks like and who should be showing leadership on it.

As it stands, the NRL tested the water with a sanction that has been widely reported and with no strong backlash either way I expect it will be made official. The club has indicated it will accept whatever the NRL say to avoid the need for it to take a stance on anything.

All that remains to debate is whether we think this is appropriate and whether we are proud of the way our coach and club have held themselves through this. I’m not!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart embarrassed by ‘weak-gutted dog’ slur

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is “embarrassed” he called Penrith’s Jaeman Salmon a “weak-gutted dog”, the club’s chief executive says. Stuart ran the Raiders’ training session on Tuesday as he awaits his punishment for his comments made at his Saturday post-match press conference.

“It’s a very public job and it’s a hard job. He’s obviously very disappointed and he’s embarrassed and he’s just going to have to put it behind him and move on and we’ll all support him.”

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/ricky-stu ... -dog-slur/

‘Not going to do anyone any good’: Gus’ warning over Stuart saga as Ricky rejects Raiders’ offer: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2a90b158d9
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

I had written a very long post about the idiocy displayed by some people on here.
Simply - I stand with Ricky Stuart and will defend him for protecting his children and his players.

He's done a lot more for society than the 'poor kid' who's also involved in this story.

When Phil Gould suggests the historical details should remain quiet, I tend to agree. There are no winners.
But I absolutely know who's contributing more to society. And it's clearly the bloke that 'fans' seem intent on running out of town.

You'd do well to remember that without Furner and Stuart around, the club that you 'support' would likely cease to exist. And cry foul all you want - but the reality is the NRL said as much in 2015.
Enjoy the footy team while you can or beware getting what you want.

I've said it before - but I'm done with this forum. It's pretty disgusting and a mirror of the vitriol spewed about on other social media.
And lets hope you never have to defend people who can't defend themselves.
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

Billy Walker wrote: August 9, 2022, 2:07 pm All that remains to debate is whether we think this is appropriate and whether we are proud of the way our coach and club have held themselves through this. I’m not!
Yes, lets do so !!! I’m sure another 50 pages should do it !! My only suggestion, can we include some discussion around Santa Clause, is he real or unreal. FTR I think he’s real.

You could then draft up a paper, stating your demands, front up to HQ with pitchforks and KK head dress with burning effigies of RIcky and Don. Heck I’ll take video for you and post it on SM.

Let me explain this to you again Billy. Your opinion, and other opinions on this forum, from people who have an inflated view of their own self importance, regarding management, coach, player and orange boy are, quite frankly, irrelevant in the big scheme of things. The club does not read nor do they care about your opinion. And nor should they. If the club were to take the opinions of supporters such as yourself they’d be sitting in the stands with all the other 99 members of this forum.

Or I could simply put it this way … YOU ARE A NOBODY.

So go ahead, debate the issue, you might get that 20 posts a day GH Badge that people on this forum tend to thrive for.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

CRaid wrote: August 9, 2022, 3:00 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 9, 2022, 2:07 pm All that remains to debate is whether we think this is appropriate and whether we are proud of the way our coach and club have held themselves through this. I’m not!
Yes, lets do so !!! I’m sure another 50 pages should do it !! My only suggestion, can we include some discussion around Santa Clause, is he real or unreal. FTR I think he’s real.

You could then draft up a paper, stating your demands, front up to HQ with pitchforks and KK head dress with burning effigies of RIcky and Don. Heck I’ll take video for you and post it on SM.

Let me explain this to you again Billy. Your opinion, and other opinions on this forum, from people who have an inflated view of their own self importance, regarding management, coach, player and orange boy are, quite frankly, irrelevant in the big scheme of things. The club does not read nor do they care about your opinion. And nor should they. If the club were to take the opinions of supporters such as yourself they’d be sitting in the stands with all the other 99 members of this forum.

So go ahead, debate the issue, you might get that 20 posts a day GH Badge that people on this forum tend to thrive for.
It's been stated on numerous occasions that people from the club do read this forum......
Perth Based Raiders Fan
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

Love4Noa wrote: August 9, 2022, 2:51 pm I had written a very long post about the idiocy displayed by some people on here.
Simply - I stand with Ricky Stuart and will defend him for protecting his children and his players.
…………….
Amen.

I’m going to resist any further posting on this forum. There’s enough crap to read elsewhere on SM concerning a multitude of other subjects.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It's a conversation board. People come here to chat. They express their views. Others discuss those views.

I don't think anyone comes here expecting to set club policy.

I raise this because it's a point you appear to have entirely missed.

CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

PerthRaider86 wrote: August 9, 2022, 3:05 pm It's been stated on numerous occasions that people from the club do read this forum......
Ohh pleaaasssseee !!!! You’re serious yea ???, As in you really think they do :lol:,

Ive heard they get the secretary to print a hard copy of all comments and place it on the table with the Tele

I’ve also heard they like to stick needles into their eyes, you know, just for fun :lol:
CRaid
Gary Coyne

Post by CRaid »

T_R wrote: August 9, 2022, 3:12 pm
It's a conversation board. People come here to chat. They express their views. Others discuss those views.

Yes I think I must missed that point.

So what’s your opinion ??, Santa real or not real ??

Btw, in more interesting news, McDonalds gave me a free upgrade on my medium cheese burger meal :thumbsup
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

CRaid wrote: August 9, 2022, 3:20 pm
T_R wrote: August 9, 2022, 3:12 pm

Yes I think I must missed that point.

So what’s your opinion ??, Santa real or not real ??

Btw, in more interesting news, McDonalds gave me a free upgrade on my medium cheese burger meal :thumbsup
In my opinion, you don't spell Santa Claus with an 'e' on the end. I note from your earlier post that you feel differently. That's fine, because we're just having a conversation here, and we're not trying to influence the conventions of spelling.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

8.4 years old and I’m glad you raised it.

According to google 8.4 years is the average age a child stops believing in Santa Claus. It is noted that many children as old as 11 and 12 will still believe in Santa. I think that provides a fair perspective of the maturity levels of an 11 year old.

No wonder Ricky is reportedly embarrassed.