Xavier Savage re-signs to end 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Xavier Savage re-signs to end 2025

Post by UncleDrew »

The Daily Telegraph reporting Xavier Savage has re-signed with the club until the end of 2025.

Canberra Raiders lock down young gun Xavier Savage

Canberra may have had a week to forget off the field but it has not been all doom and gloom for the Raiders, who have tied down boom youngster Xavier Savage to a long-term deal.

The Raiders earmarked Savage as their long-term fullback and showed their commitment to the 20-year-old by signing him until at least the end of 2025.

Savage was contracted until the end of next season but has now agreed to a long-term deal before hitting the market on November 1, when he would have been in the sights of rivals given his blistering speed and ability to break open games.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c942f40110

Huge Canberra Raiders boost as Xavier Savage set to re-sign: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Xavier Savage re-signs to end 2025

Post by Raiders666 »

God these boys just hate playing for Ricky....
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hopefully he is getting paid as a winger
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Great news.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Awesome news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Really great news!!! I hope Ricky doesn’t find out before it’s inked though- wasn’t someone trying to tell us Ricky was driving him out of the club 🤣
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Great to see. I think Savage has started from a low base in firsts, but no one can possibly say he hasn't made huge progress over the course of the season. Would be great to seem him continue to develop and make the #1 jersey his own.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote: August 12, 2022, 1:23 pm Great to see. I think Savage has started from a low base in firsts, but no one can possibly say he hasn't made huge progress over the course of the season. Would be great to seem him continue to develop and make the #1 jersey his own.
agreed.

He was not quite ready for NRL this year, but to his credit he is getting better and better. Hopefully, he really kicks on and becomes a legit star.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I like it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Billy Walker wrote:Really great news!!! I hope Ricky doesn’t find out before it’s inked though- wasn’t someone trying to tell us Ricky was driving him out of the club Image
You will note this has been done in the week Ricky can not have any involvement..

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Interested to see how he goes in 2023 after another off-season in the weights room.

He hasnt been disappointing this year, but he hasnt set the world on fire either. Maybe starting the year in the #1 will put him in better stead.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Great news
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I didn't allow this.

I joke of course. The club has listened to the people and has acted accordingly.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's blessed with great speed.

He's working on his passing and already has a bit more of a confidence to shift the ball than Charnze did. Slick decisions on sweep plays are often one of the last things s FB develops so he's on track there.

A bit more size and durability will help him next season.

He's one of the players I really enjoy seeing each week so glad he's staying.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

He makes a comical amount of errors but opposing teams respect his speed plus he can catch and pass quickly which adds a lot to the team. It's ludicrous that's a plus in his favour and it really should be the absolute minimum to play in the spine but here we are.

I'd like to see him learn to draw defenders a bit better and his first contact in defence needs to tighten up. His positioning in defence is also something that's not so crash hot but I also think fullbacks end up paying the price for the team stuffing up. He does get caught out a lot though

But I'm happy to see he signed. There is a spark behind the millions of errors. His support play is really good too.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Glad to hear it. Not convinced he is the long term fullback myself right now, but he's the best we've got right now and he's making improvements every week.
Next season we're going to learn a lot about him. The errors need to come down, the motor has got to improve a little bit.

That's the easy stuff, a lot of his errors are IMO concentration errors and errors in being lazy in securing the football. That should be correctable. The motor is simply a fitness thing. He can get caught out of position when teams work us side to side in the red zone and he's got to track the footy. Again, that's fitness, that should be easily correctable.

if he cant fix those then its over. But assuming he can fix those, his next step evolution as a fullback is to develop his passing game, right now he's got quick hands when needed, which is a start, he doesnt mind giving early ball when nothing is doing, which i like. But if he can learn to quickly read the numbers and know if he's got the numbers and space to straighten up and put the foot down to break the line, or commit defenders and ball play at the line... well, then we've got something pretty special brewing.

Our footy team doesnt have many players you can really get excited for right now. So im glad we're keeping one of the few who can get you out of your seat when he's got the footy in hand. Hopefully he can lead a new era of exciting Raiders footy with guys like Timoko, Kris, Ruston, Mooney etc
Last edited by Botman on August 12, 2022, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s a pretty good footballer now. Imagine how good he will be when he learns to catch and tackle!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

He catches the ball and you just wait for something to happen but he beers some time working on his positioning in particular.
Another year and he'll start to build that motor up which will help his game.
Gary Belcher is extremely critical of him from what I've heard in commentary on SEN

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: August 12, 2022, 2:49 pm He catches the ball and you just wait for something to happen but he beers some time working on his positioning in particular.
Gary Belcher is extremely critical of him from what I've heard in commentary on SEN

You had me at “beers”
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Maybe boneheads biggest issue is Xavier only beers some time.
Happy with the re-signing. He won't be a complete fullback next year so we'll still have to show some patience. Improved fitness and experience is going to bring those errors down.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Canberra times article also says Rushton is departing immediately. Very disappointing.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:Maybe boneheads biggest issue is Xavier only beers some time.
Happy with the re-signing. He won't be a complete fullback next year so we'll still have to show some patience. Improved fitness and experience is going to bring those errors down.
that's some autocorrect

Edrick The Entertainer
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Great signing so glad we are keeping him , has so much potential and love watching him play, so much speed and attacking flair, needs to work on defence and securing the ball, but there are other players in the team that miss tackles and drop the ball but they got no speed
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: August 12, 2022, 4:22 pm
zim wrote:Maybe boneheads biggest issue is Xavier only beers some time.
that's some autocorrect
I know mate just having some fun :P
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: August 12, 2022, 2:39 pm Hopefully he can lead a new era of exciting Raiders footy with guys like Timoko, Kris, Ruston, Mooney etc
Ooooooof... too soon :cry:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: August 12, 2022, 2:39 pm
That's the easy stuff, a lot of his errors are IMO concentration errors and errors in being lazy in securing the football. That should be correctable. The motor is simply a fitness thing. He can get caught out of position when teams work us side to side in the red zone and he's got to track the footy. Again, that's fitness, that should be easily correctable.

if he cant fix those then its over. But assuming he can fix those, his next step evolution as a fullback is to develop his passing game, right now he's got quick hands when needed, which is a start, he doesnt mind giving early ball when nothing is doing, which i like. But if he can learn to quickly read the numbers and know if he's got the numbers and space to straighten up and put the foot down to break the line, or commit defenders and ball play at the line... well, then we've got something pretty special brewing.
For me it's his footy IQ, in particular positioning in both defence and attack, that will determine if he makes it as a fullback. Eg he seems to stand way too deep at times in set plays. Teddy etc are so good partly because they know where to be relative to the ball, relative to the ball carrier. That's what I'd really like to see improve, it could be a deal-breaker if he can't, and could make him a star if he can

I'm confident he can fix the errors. I'm less confident he can fix the defence but hoping he can improve it to a tolerable level
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: August 12, 2022, 4:11 pm The Canberra times article also says Rushton is departing immediately. Very disappointing.
Oh no! Is he staying in aus or heading back home?
Very disappointing regardless
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote: August 12, 2022, 4:11 pm The Canberra times article also says Rushton is departing immediately. Very disappointing.
returns to superleague, story on raiders website

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35270

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote:He catches the ball and you just wait for something to happen but he beers some time working on his positioning in particular.

I would love to see Badge come in to offer him some assistance.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: August 12, 2022, 5:53 pm
Botman wrote:
returns to superleague, story on raiders website

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35270

Ah that’s a shame
Always a risk with a young bloke like that
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Very Happy with the Savage signing. Sure he has a lot to work on with ball security in the tackle and defensive technique heading the list, but he has great speed off the mark and can pass well to set up team mates.

This has been a learning year for him and many on here wanted him in the side early in the season learning about FG play. Glad to see the improvement in his game already and with another off season to build up his size to match the physicality of FG, I reckon he will be even better next year.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: August 13, 2022, 6:45 pm Very Happy with the Savage signing. Sure he has a lot to work on with ball security in the tackle and defensive technique heading the list, but he has great speed off the mark and can pass well to set up team mates.

This has been a learning year for him and many on here wanted him in the side early in the season learning about FG play. Glad to see the improvement in his game already and with another off season to build up his size to match the physicality of FG, I reckon he will be even better next year.
Spot on Red - work in progress but high chance he’ll be a masterpiece. He’s got talent and speed!
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Billy Walker wrote:
RedRaider wrote: August 13, 2022, 6:45 pm Very Happy with the Savage signing. Sure he has a lot to work on with ball security in the tackle and defensive technique heading the list, but he has great speed off the mark and can pass well to set up team mates.

Spot on Red - work in progress but high chance he’ll be a masterpiece. He’s got talent and speed!
Hope we get someone in over the off-season to work with him.

Slater normally would be a stretch but given he is a potential Maroons player in a few years he could be tempted?

Knowing us though we will do nothing or get Dugan in to be his mentor…

nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Battered Sav was pretty damn good today I must say.

Our coaches have been consistent (which **** some of us) in giving the harsh reality that "he is young and learning"

That's scary right, nobody is saying that about Suali etc.

Anyway, Sav's improving at a great rate of knots and once that x-factor thing has some consistency and a reduction in errors he could be anything.

(I've decided I'm calling him Battered Sav for the next 15 years of his career and I will charge royalties to anyone who steals it from me)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah he was really good with the ball today. Some real quality touches at important times.