18%

Total votes: 17

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2022 Rd 23 V Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: August 15, 2022, 12:17 pm
I wasn't saying Kris was a magician. In 2021 he was over sized, slower to turn, and looking like he might move into the second row at some point. He worked really hard over the off season to get his pace and agility back up.
Fair observation too.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Only 8 wins from 23 visits to Newcastle and I reckon I’ve been to all of them dating back to 88.

What a horrible place to be. Full of halfwits. I hate going, I really do but it’s time with dad and bro.

Raiders win..but with no confidence.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: August 15, 2022, 1:45 pm
BJ wrote: August 15, 2022, 1:35 pm
Botman wrote:We're also not paying Cotric 600k, we are paying him significantly less than that.
Yep. Guessing we’re paying $400-450k of that.

Which may or may not be about $50k too much.

Cotric certainly needs to work on his game this offseason and develop some secondary skills.
Sorry to say, but he’s in decline from here onwards. He won’t get quicker or more agile but he will slow up. He’s not uncovering new angles or skill sets that have been hiding below the surface untapped.

He will have some good games, the odd great game mixed with a lot of sub-par games. It’s not where we want $400-600k a year tied up.

Seems a great bloke and a Canberra junior and really burst onto the scene in his breakout season. I’m going to be really radical and suggest we try something different and consider reality over sentiment and see if that drives a better outcome for us.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote:We're also not paying Cotric 600k, we are paying him significantly less than that.

Cotric certainly needs to work on his game this offseason and develop some secondary skills.
Sorry to say, but he’s in decline from here onwards. He won’t get quicker or more agile but he will slow up. He’s not uncovering new angles or skill sets that have been hiding below the surface untapped.

He will have some good games, the odd great game mixed with a lot of sub-par games. It’s not where we want $400-600k a year tied up.

Seems a great bloke and a Canberra junior and really burst onto the scene in his breakout season. I’m going to be really radical and suggest we try something different and consider reality over sentiment and see if that drives a better outcome for us.
I'm a huge Cotric fan but there hasn't been a lot of progress I agree.

He has added an "on the burst" straight yards run recently to compliment his "palm and crab across" style which he got stuck in a rut with. But overall his wing play in general hasn't hit his season 1-2 heights.

He probably does need to change something up- lean out and work hard on flexibility/balance to add a dimension because getting bigger and slower probably isn't a winning track.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:Only 8 wins from 23 visits to Newcastle and I reckon I’ve been to all of them dating back to 88.

What a horrible place to be. Full of halfwits. I hate going, I really do but it’s time with dad and bro.

I'm going, hopefully in a box

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: August 15, 2022, 3:33 pm
-PJ- wrote:Only 8 wins from 23 visits to Newcastle and I reckon I’ve been to all of them dating back to 88.

Now I’m visualising you sitting on the hill in a box.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:

With Brew?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

With Brew?

I'd rather a coffin

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:

Say gidday to Brew for me!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
bonehead wrote:

I'd rather not

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
bonehead wrote:

I'd rather not

So you’re just going to sit next to him in silence?

Classic Boners
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

so just following the trend..... this weeks (only against the Raiders masterclass) is.......Bradman Best yay!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week, Amone
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Crusader wrote:so just following the trend..... this weeks (only against the Raiders masterclass) is.......Bradman Best yay!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week, Amone
Amone is a gun

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Jesus Christ.

He's 23. He's an Origin rep. He's a very good winger who made a bad career move but good business move, as did Canberra, twice even. Canberra aren't paying him any more than 60% of his wage imo.

Nearly any winger in the comp would have looked bad on the end of Canberra's backline this year as well. Cotric has had a disrupted year but has shown glimpses and he's simply not someone you dump at 23 years old. Especially not for Albert Hopoate.

Hopoate has really stood up. I didn't think he had it in him. But he is very slow and there's no turning that around. A good squad member but a fight for that spot shouldn't even be touched on. And afaic I think Schiller has shown more roo. That try, a few try savers and the courage when injured should stand for plenty imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Young Canberra Raiders fullback Xavier Savage continues to improve

Raiders’ rookie Xavier Savage has looked more like a regular NRL starting No.1 with each week, culminating with Sunday’s two-try assist, 154m performance against St George Illawarra.

“Everyone wants big, fancy plays, but it’s the little things that matter more,” Savage said. “Like taking those tough carries out, supporting the big boys in the middle and just always being around the ball. That’s what I’ve tried to focus on every week and doing those little things and then the fancy stuff comes along with it.

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/young-rai ... o-improve/
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Didn’t realise Cotric is only 23 :o

He had a slow start, but hit some form before injury. In my view, it’s Rapana and Cotric as our top two wingers with Schiller next in line.
Last edited by President Clinton on August 15, 2022, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenev
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Greenev »

President Clinton wrote: August 15, 2022, 7:22 pm Didn’t realise Cotric was only 23 :o

He had a slow start, but hit some form before injury. In my view, it’s Rapana and Cotric as our top two wingers with Schiller next in line.
The only reasonable response when talking about who our best wingers are.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

is this just a massive Dubby?

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I don't expect Cotric to be making Origin sides and I'm comfortable with that. He's still a solid winger with a low error rate that gets through plenty of work. He wants to be here too so we should be able to extend him at a reasonable price.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

President Clinton wrote: August 15, 2022, 7:22 pm Didn’t realise Cotric was only 23 :o

The whole hype around Cotric was that he burst onto the scene "fully formed" as an 18 year old with absurd size, decent toe, courage, physicality and incredible footy instincts- no fear and the right play at the right time. He'd been that size, or near enough and had that unphased mentality since he was 16. Some of us who knew him as a junior were not surprised at all, nor that he made Origin soon after. He took every new step like that.

When you hit a few failures, doubt creeps in. Thought processes and coaching vs natural play. You realise the stakes. Maybe he'll figure it out and hit heights again. Physically he'll maybe never be as bouncy and agile again- he's never lacked strength.

I'd like to see him be consistent again. But yeah, 23 year old Origin reps with 100+ FG games are normally pretty hard to recruit.

You can talk about the way our edges operated pre-2019 vs how much room they had after that and how effective they have been but it's a whole other thing (hint, not very, we became a cramped, bash the middle team who crab across when we go wide and don't straighten enough or play at the line well).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

julian87 wrote: August 15, 2022, 7:05 pm

Jesus Christ.

He's 23. He's an Origin rep. He's a very good winger who made a bad career move but good business move, as did Canberra, twice even. Canberra aren't paying him any more than 60% of his wage imo.

Nearly any winger in the comp would have looked bad on the end of Canberra's backline this year as well. Cotric has had a disrupted year but has shown glimpses and he's simply not someone you dump at 23 years old. Especially not for Albert Hopoate.

Hopoate has really stood up. I didn't think he had it in him. But he is very slow and there's no turning that around. A good squad member but a fight for that spot shouldn't even be touched on. And afaic I think Schiller has shown more roo. That try, a few try savers and the courage when injured should stand for plenty imo.
$20 bucks in my pocket says he doesn’t play origin again, another $20 says he’s never winger of the year and a third $20 he never plays in an NRL premiership team.

Sad to see a 23 year old cooked but it is what it is. We will stick true for years to come and repeat mistakes no doubt- it’s what we do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Corey Horsburgh makes tough call after pneumonia battle

Corey Horsburgh returned to firsts last week after shedding eight kilograms with pneumonia. But he is prepared for Guler to get the nod ahead of him on the bench if Joe Tapine is back in the starting line-up.

"Just because of my lungs, I'd say I'll go out," Horsburgh said. "I'm back to my playing weight, it's just my lungs still. I felt like I did alright. I wasn't back to normal me, but every week I feel better and hopefully by the time we make the finals I'll be back to full health."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, I’d wager he’ll be 100% by the 2025 final series.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I’ll take horse with one lung over Guler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: August 15, 2022, 9:33 pm
julian87 wrote: August 15, 2022, 7:05 pm

Jesus Christ.

$20 bucks in my pocket says he doesn’t play origin again, another $20 says he’s never winger of the year and a third $20 he never plays in an NRL premiership team.

Sad to see a 23 year old cooked but it is what it is. We will stick true for years to come and repeat mistakes no doubt- it’s what we do.
If you think being a solid but unspectacular outside back precludes a player from winning a Premiership then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the value of positions in the modern game, and the need to balance the salary cap. Paul Momirovski won a Premiership last season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:is this just a massive Dubby?

Nah just Billy trying to get ahead of the curve. In 5 years time when Cotric genuinely starts to decline Billy will puff his chest out and say he saw it ... when Cotric was 23.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

So how many interviews will Adam Elliott give this week?
Playing against his future club in front of his girlfriend must be worth at least 5 interviews
Vaccinated
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Best and Enari
Stood down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Klemmer might be back for them, but absolute shambles of a backline with those 2 out.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

zim wrote: August 16, 2022, 11:01 am Klemmer might be back for them, but absolute shambles of a backline with those 2 out.
Their backline was a shambles with those two in. Best is a total weapon. Unfortunately they don't know how to use him properly. Tuala is an absolute plodder. Don't know how he gets picked in 1st grade each week.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Geez they are going to have a NSW Cup backline this week.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: August 16, 2022, 7:42 am
bonehead wrote:is this just a massive Dubby?

Nah just Billy trying to get ahead of the curve. In 5 years time when Cotric genuinely starts to decline Billy will puff his chest out and say he saw it ... when Cotric was 23.

You think he’s on the up and up? Were you surprised he wasn’t in this years origin team. He’s in decline and he won’t turn it around sorry. There are reasons we aren’t a top 8 side and many of them go to the fact our players aren’t up to it. You can have a toiler or two in a team of stars. We are a team of toilers with 1 or 2 stars. Cotric isn’t in the star category.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: August 16, 2022, 11:12 am
zim wrote: August 16, 2022, 11:01 am Klemmer might be back for them, but absolute shambles of a backline with those 2 out.
Their backline was a shambles with those two in. Best is a total weapon. Unfortunately they don't know how to use him properly. Tuala is an absolute plodder. Don't know how he gets picked in 1st grade each week.
Looking at their roster I think the Tuala issue is injuries and lack of choice.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Nothing beats a raiders team like a team under adversity. Knights will win this easy
Dont delete this GE
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

simo wrote: August 16, 2022, 12:50 pm Nothing beats a raiders team like a team under adversity. Knights will win this easy
Yeah I doubt it