Canterbury Bulldogs 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canterbury Bulldogs 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs lock up Matt Burton to end 2027

The Bulldogs have locked in their prized playmaker Matt Burton on a multi-year contract extension through until the end of the 2027 season.

It’s believed Burton is set to earn $500,000 this season, with the Bulldogs tabling a four-year extension worth around $750,000.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4a6c439434

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4dc2280b43

Canterbury Bulldogs club statement

The Bulldogs have today confirmed the news that Members and fans have been waiting for, announcing Matt Burton has agreed to a multi-year extension to remain at the Club for the next five seasons.

Matt Burton was presented with his Club debut jersey on the eve of the 2022 Bulldogs NRL Premiership opener against the North Queensland Cowboys and quickly became a shining light for the Bulldogs attack throughout the season.

The fan favourite played in every fixture for the Club in 2022 and earned the Members Player of the Year Award at the Bulldogs presentation evening in September. Now, the Bulldogs’ five-eighth is set to kick on in the blue and white for the next five seasons.

“I’m grateful to be a part of this Club,” Burton said.

“We’ve got the new coach in now and I’m really excited to work with him again. He’s a great coach and I’m looking forward to taking my game to the next level with his guidance,” Burton said of Bulldogs Head Coach, Cameron Ciraldo.

“We’ve got new players in and from my teammates, all the staff, our members and fans, I couldn’t picture myself anywhere else. The Club is on the up and I’m keen to be a part of this next chapter for the Bulldogs.”

Originally signed until the end of the 2023 season, the Bulldogs have confirmed that he has signed an extension that will now see him stay on in the blue and white through to the end of the 2027 season.

Arriving at the Club as a 20-year-old and premiership winner, Burton continued to prove himself as one of the best young talents in the NRL with stellar and consistent performances for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldog’s five-eighth was called upon to join the NSW Blues in the 2022 State of Origin Series - where he scored a try on debut - and was named to pull on the green and gold for the championship Australian Kangaroos side at the 2021 Rugby League World Cup alongside fellow teammate, Josh Addo-Carr.

Read more: https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2023/0 ... -bulldogs/
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs 2023

Post by BJ »

Seems a pretty good deal by the Dogs for Burton. Especially when compared to a number of middling forwards earning well over $750k a season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Surely there’s ratchets built into that figure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL team previews 2023: Bulldogs free agency wrap, crystal ball, predictions

They signed the hottest coach-in-waiting and two of the biggest recruits of the off-season, but can Canterbury make it all work on the field?

Best 17

1. Jake Averillo
2. Braidon Burns
3. Jacob Kiraz
4. Paul Alamoti
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Tevita Pangai Junior
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Luke Thompson
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Andrew Davey
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Josh Reynolds
15. Max King
16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
17. Chris Patolo

Ins: Viliame Kikau (Panthers), Reed Mahoney (Eels), Ryan Sutton (Raiders), Josh Reynolds (train and trial contract), Hayze Perham (Eels), Andrew Davey (Sea Eagles), Franklin Pele (Sharks), Fa’amanu Brown (Tigers)

Outs: Jack Hetherington (Knights), Josh Jackson (retired), Jeremy Marshall-King (Dolphins), Paul Vaughan (Warrington), Matt Dufty (Warrington), Ava Seumanufagai (released), Aaron Schoupp (Titans), Matt Doorey (Eels), Joe Stimson (Titans), Corey Allan (Roosters), Brandon Wakeham (released)

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 83191dc6dd
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don’t know about Sutton being their soul at lock.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

People picking them for the 8 again? Still look pretty average to me. I think they might improve with Mahoney and Kikau but their backline still looks a bit off the pace, excluding Burton and JAC.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: January 7, 2023, 5:45 pm People picking them for the 8 again? Still look pretty average to me. I think they might improve with Mahoney and Kikau but their backline still looks a bit off the pace, excluding Burton and JAC.
There’s been a lot of hype, but when you look at the whole team, it’s middle of the pack at best.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Yeah, outside of Burton, Kikau, JAC, and Mahoney, it's a pretty trash roster
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

You can see why that still have cash to buys another big name player tbh
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Needs more Josh Jackson.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: January 8, 2023, 5:25 am Needs more Josh Jackson.
Needs more joshjacksonshead
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pretty ordinary outside backs, apart from JAC.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Team Talk: Bulldogs 2023 overview, best 17, squad update

With a new coach and the recruitment of some big name players, Canterbury will start the season full of hope but fans need to remain patient because 2023 is likely to be merely another step in the club's rebuilding phase.

Predicted Round 1 team

1. Jake Averillo
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Braidon Burns
4. Paul Alamoti
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Luke Thompson
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Max King

14. Fa’amanu Brown
15. Tevita Pangai Junior
16. Jackson Topine
17. Corey Waddell

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/01/14/tea ... ad-update/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Penrith Panthers Stephen Crichton gone to the Dogs on $3.3 million four year deal

Stephen Crichton will join the Canterbury Bulldogs in 2024 with the two-time premiership-winning Penrith centre to ink a four-year deal in excess of $3.3 million. In a further warning sign for premiers Penrith as they feel the salary cap squeeze of building success, young gun front rower Spencer Leniu is a strong chance of becoming the next member of the Panthers to also join the new-look Bulldogs.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3954cf170e
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Over $800,000 for a centre? Don’t know about this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They think he’s a fullback.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

That’s a lot of money to pay a non-ball playing fullback in this day and age.

DWZ signing all over again.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

President Clinton wrote: January 19, 2023, 8:08 pm That’s a lot of money to pay a non-ball playing fullback in this day and age.

DWZ signing all over again.
I’ve never been big on Crichton, was out of his depth at Origin level. I’m with you on wingers at fullback too.

But this is a good gamble from them imo. He looked good when he did play fullback in the NRL and there is not a plethora of good 1s about.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The bulldogs keep making this mistake where they get outside backs who think they're something they're not and paying them as such before they've proven it

DWZ, JAC, Cotric and now Crichton
Im not convinced at all Crichton is a fullback... but i do think this is probably a better bet than DWZ and JAC for fullback were, and definitely better than Cotric to centre was. Ill wager they've ultimately got themselves a very expensive albeit good NRL centre in this signing and nothing more.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2023, 6:32 pm
gergreg wrote: January 7, 2023, 5:45 pm People picking them for the 8 again? Still look pretty average to me. I think they might improve with Mahoney and Kikau but their backline still looks a bit off the pace, excluding Burton and JAC.
There’s been a lot of hype, but when you look at the whole team, it’s middle of the pack at best.
I agree. At absolute best.

They’re still going to be trotting out Kyle Flanagan at 7 and essentially a reserve grader at fullback for 2023.

If TPJ doesn’t pay off then they’re also going to have a very sub par middle third rotation, especially in terms of attack and making meters.

Kikau is a great player but he’s a second rower who doesn’t move from his third of the field at all. Reed Mahoney has the best service from dummy half I’ve seen in a long time. But he’s not very creative at all, he didn’t need to be at Parra. He does at Canterbury. Burton is an out and out gun but he don’t have much help in attack.

Dogs are the sexy re-build. But I think the best immediate little re-build has been by Newcastle and they’ll be the biggest movers from the bottom of the pack.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think their middles are weak and that's going to keep making life difficult for them.

Sutton, Thompson, TPJ is going to get crushed by the quite a few packs. It'd be the equivalent of us being forced to start Guler, Saulo, CHN with god knows who behind that... So then no matter how many backs they buy it always looks like a team less than the sum of it's parts.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How Bulldogs used Panthers to go from basket case to contenders... and they’re not done yet

The Bulldogs have not been subtle in using the Panthers’ template and players to rebuild the club from 2021 wooden spooners to potential contenders in the space of two seasons.

POTENTIAL 2024 BULLDOGS STARTING 13

1. Stephen Crichton
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Paul Alamoti
4. Bronson Xerri
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Mitchell Moses*
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Tevita Pangai Jr
11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Ryan Sutton

* Currently yet to decide his future with the Eels

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8bbff2db55

Even with Crichton on board, they have to still do something about halfback. Not sure they’ve even got there in 2024. I doubt they’ll sign Moses.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bulldogs confirm Crichton signing

The Canterbury Bulldogs are pleased to announce that Stephen Crichton has accepted a four-year deal that will see him join the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs from the 2024 season onwards.

Out of respect to both Stephen and the Penrith Panthers, the Club will make no further comment until he joins us at the end of the 2023 season.

Read more: https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2023/0 ... on-876gg8/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs pay $500,000 transfer fee for Brisbane Broncos rising star five eighth Karl Oloapu

The Bulldogs have made another move to build towards the future, signing Karl Oloapu after the promising Brisbane Broncos junior was granted an early release from his contract.

The Bulldogs announced on Friday that Oloapu would be joining the club for the next four seasons, effective immediately, with the teen to relocate from Brisbane “shortly”.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 28aaac2b83

Bulldogs club statement

The Canterbury Bulldogs are pleased to announce the signing of Karl Oloapu for the next four seasons, commencing immediately. Karl will relocate from Brisbane shortly to join the Bulldogs for pre-season training.

The Bulldogs would like to acknowledge the Brisbane Broncos and the development work that they have already put into Karl's career.

We would like to thank the Broncos for their professionalism in dealing with this process and in providing Karl with the early release to pursue this opportunity.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights winger Dominic Young tours Canterbury Bulldogs facilities

Newcastle’s English winger Dominic Young is in talks with the Canterbury Bulldogs as Phil Gould continues his multimillion-dollar buying spree. The 21-year-old winger toured the Bulldogs’ Belmore headquarters on Friday afternoon with Gould and coach Cameron Ciraldo. He has also had talks with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a9e88f0266

Young apparently keen to move to Sydney. Guess the Raiders are ruled out. Also I wonder when the Bulldogs are going to run out of cap space.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Canterbury Bulldogs pay $500,000 transfer fee for Brisbane Broncos rising star five eighth Karl Oloapu

The Bulldogs have made another move to build towards the future, signing Karl Oloapu after the promising Brisbane Broncos junior was granted an early release from his contract.

The Bulldogs announced on Friday that Oloapu would be joining the club for the next four seasons, effective immediately, with the teen to relocate from Brisbane “shortly”.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 28aaac2b83

Bulldogs club statement

The Canterbury Bulldogs are pleased to announce the signing of Karl Oloapu for the next four seasons, commencing immediately. Karl will relocate from Brisbane shortly to join the Bulldogs for pre-season training.

The Bulldogs would like to acknowledge the Brisbane Broncos and the development work that they have already put into Karl's career.

We would like to thank the Broncos for their professionalism in dealing with this process and in providing Karl with the early release to pursue this opportunity.
Is this the young fella that's been agitating for a release for a few months? New manager, yada yada
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes it is. His new manager is Matt Adamson.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Yeah he didn't have a manager when he signed with Kevvy and claims the contract isn't what they agreed to

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs appoint Ray Faitala-Mariner as club captain, with Reed Mahoney and Matt Burton to take role of on-field NRL co-captains

The Canterbury Bulldogs would like to announce and congratulate our newly appointed leadership group, which includes two game day on-field captains and one club captain. The new leadership structure, which consists of a group of six players was announced by head coach Cameron Ciraldo this week.

Among the newly appointed leaders, Ray Faitala-Mariner has been honoured as the new club captain and been tasked to lead the charge on club culture alongside teammates Josh Addo-Carr, Viliame Kikau and Max King. As for the game day on-field captaincy, Ciraldo announced that the skipper’s post will be shared between newly appointed co-captains Reed Mahoney and Matt Burton.

Read more: https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2023/0 ... -captains/
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Re: 2023 NRL Round 7: Teams and Game Day

Viliame Kikau out for 8-10 weeks with a pec injury.

We will face the Dogs with Addo-Carr and Kikau missing. Good chance to string a few wins together after the bye. Which makes this an eight-point game...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs recruit Viliame Kikau could miss eight weeks after an injury at training

Star Bulldogs recruit Viliame Kikau has joined teammate Josh Addo-Carr on the long-term injury list after tearing a pectoral muscle at training on Wednesday. Kikau, who has missed the Dogs‘ last two games with concussion, is staring at up to 10 weeks on the sidelines with surgery required after the incident at training.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bulld ... a4e2e2099c
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Reports Toby Sexton has signed for the Dogs immediately.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Dogs on a signing spree
Taffe
Knight
WGD
Rumoured to have signed Taukeiaho

What is their Salary Cap and are they just buying anyone.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Dogs on a signing spree
Taffe
Knight
WGD
Rumoured to have signed Taukeiaho

What is their Salary Cap and are they just buying anyone.
Gould can certainly open up third party deals (especially when Landry doesn’t disclose them to the press).