Canterbury Bulldogs 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs 2023

Post by Postman Pat »

BJ wrote:
LimeGreenMachine wrote:Dogs on a signing spree
Taffe
Knight
WGD
Rumoured to have signed Taukeiaho

What is their Salary Cap and are they just buying anyone.
Gould can certainly open up third party deals (especially when Landry doesn’t disclose them to the press).
Apparently looking at Connor Watson now as well, I’m sure moving on RFM and Sutton will free up enough cap space.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Postman Pat wrote:
BJ wrote:
LimeGreenMachine wrote:Dogs on a signing spree
Taffe
Knight
WGD
Rumoured to have signed Taukeiaho

What is their Salary Cap and are they just buying anyone.
Gould can certainly open up third party deals (especially when Landry doesn’t disclose them to the press).
Apparently looking at Connor Watson now as well, I’m sure moving on RFM and Sutton will free up enough cap space.
In the past few years they've allegedly signed Cotric, Burton, Allen and JAC - all on fullback money. Now another one, Crichton, on fullback money. Shirley questions need to be asked?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

They just keep signing ploders
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Yeah they’re in a Tigers or Dolphins situation where they’ll recruit just about anybody. Desperate times
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

It appears they don't know what they need. They recruit anyone. .Gould has apparently said that they haven't told anyone they are free to go.
So their top 30 next year will have 50 players
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Gus is very careful with his words. Like the Faitala-Mariner and Sutton stories.

Gus: “No one has been told they have to leave the club”
Matt Thompson: “Yeah but being told they can look around is different to being told they have to leave”
Gus: “Well they havent been told that either”

The truth of it is they have players under contract they want to move on, so no one is claiming they’ve been told they “have to leave”. Gus and Ciraldo probably told them they aren’t in their plans for first grade next year and those players can then take it upon themselves to seek a release and a new contract elsewhere. Gus being selective with the truth.

It’s amazing how often Gus flat out denies something that turns out to be 100% true a few weeks later.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's strange he even bothers. Like trying to control a narrative everyone else has already decided on and moved on from.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fox Sports are reporting a player has walked out on the club after he was punished at training because he rocked up late for a session. His punishment… to wrestle 12 players. The player is contracted for 2024 and is unnamed.

‘Isn’t right’: Ciraldo grilled over Dog’s walkout as coach admits harsh culture truth: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b2783ff3e1

Bulldogs player walks out on club as details of brutal training ‘punishment’ emerge: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4e3ace0ced
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Whether he was late or not was a matter of debate for the player as well. Told to be there in a certain time frame which he thought he was.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Strange story. Not a good look
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bit of the Adelaide Crows training camp debacle about that story

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by -TW- on August 30, 2023, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Interesting isn't it.. in a regular corporate environment, they'd call a punishment "bullying".

These days, whatever the penalty is, it should be in their contract. If you don't comply, here are the list of penalties. Sign it or sign elsewhere.

Am I right in saying the last 4 teams Phil Gould has had a full time employment gig at are the Roosters, Penrith, Warriors and Bulldogs?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The punishment is wrestling Gould?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: August 30, 2023, 11:56 am The punishment is wrestling Gould?
Or rubbing lotion into his bunions.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Botman wrote: August 30, 2023, 10:23 am Strange story. Not a good look
Not really. Every club has a punishment for being late for training.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Riaan wrote:
Yeah, at the raiders you have to watch old Rocky Stewart press conferences on loop.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Riaan wrote: August 30, 2023, 7:47 pm
And how many of them are considered weird and degrading enough to have a player walk out?
These hazing style punishments are just not really appropriate anymore and it's speaks pretty poorly of the head coach and senior leaders that they thought this nonsense was going to be OK in 2023.

I reiterate, strange story and not a good look.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Botman wrote: August 30, 2023, 7:57 pm
Riaan wrote: August 30, 2023, 7:47 pm
And how many of them are considered weird and degrading enough to have a player walk out?
These hazing style punishments are just not really appropriate anymore and it's speaks pretty poorly of the head coach and senior leaders that they thought this nonsense was going to be OK in 2023.

I reiterate, strange story and not a good look.
This isn’t the public service Botman, it’s a highly competitive, high performance environment. If you need to take ‘mental health leave’ after been made to extras after rolling in late to training, then maybe the NRL isn’t for you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Punishment has to fit the crime.

Obviously the player didn’t think so.

A good leader in the playing group, probably stops the wrestling after 3 or 4 players knowing the point has been made.

I remember getting 200 pushups at training and after I’d made a good effort, I was told to stop and get back to the 3 on 2 drill. I obviously still remember it after almost 30 years. So I’d say lesson learnt.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Depends on the "extras" though doesnt it?
It's a professional environment like any other workplace, and employees should not be subjected to hazing/bullying rituals to establish "culture"
That **** is garbage and frankly always has been. People who have to rely on that to establish culture are clowns who have no business being in the jobs they're in. Anyone who thinks thats how culture is established does not understand what culture is and how to foster it.

Every club makes players who transgress do "extras"... but there is a line. And this player felt the line between reasonable and accepted practices was breached.
Making a bloke who runs late running some laps or dropping him for a week for failing to adhere to the standards or what have you, thath appens every week and no one walks out on their clubs about it... but being made to wrestle 12 players.. the implication is clear, it's an exercise to degrade and embarrass the player. Which is not acceptable in any way shape or form in any work place.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm not sure we can criticise the punishment without a proper understanding of the 'base level' of training. For all we know a standard training session includes wrestling 6 teammates?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:I'm not sure we can criticise the punishment without a proper understanding of the 'base level' of training. For all we know a standard training session includes wrestling 6 teammates?
I presume the player wouldn’t have walked out if that was the case.

But I agree it would be good to get some context. I remember Scotty Freeman returning from a Shoulder Injury and trying to prove his fitness by “having to tackle Sam Backo running straight at him”.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:I'm not sure we can criticise the punishment without a proper understanding of the 'base level' of training. For all we know a standard training session includes wrestling 6 teammates?
I presume the player wouldn’t have walked out if that was the case.

But I agree it would be good to get some context. I remember Scotty Freeman returning from a Shoulder Injury and trying to prove his fitness by “having to tackle Sam Backo running straight at him”.
What about a TPJ? He would use any excuse to do any extras.

You can't blame the coach for try to set some standards and change the culture of the place. They're **** and have been for a few years. They've tried to buy their way out of it and failed. I don't necessarily agree with their recruitment targets but I guess they're now trying to work harder to dig themselves out. Coach's job is on the line.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bulldogs players reveal brutal details of training session that broke teammate

The player who walked away from the Bulldogs over a training ground punishment was barely 10 minutes late on the day of his indiscretion. The player was forced to drop to his knees and wrestle every fit member of the squad during an exhausting exercise that left him battered and bruised, an ordeal known across the game as ‘shark bait’.

“It was a knee wrestle where you’ve got to get your opponent onto their back,” one Bulldogs player said.“He was made to wrestle everyone and you can imagine how fatigued he got. It was everyone in the top 30 squad apart from the injured guys. I thought ‘what the **** was that.’ It was pretty ordinary. A lot of players didn’t want to do it.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b737f6f702
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If the players/teams have a name for the practice then surely it's not that uncommon as far as punishment goes in the NRL.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: August 31, 2023, 9:45 am If the players/teams have a name for the practice then surely it's not that uncommon as far as punishment goes in the NRL.
Yeah, if it's "known across the game" then it's not exclusive to Ciraldo at the Dogs.

The club is trapped in a malaise that no amount of coaching and personnel changes can fix. The problems are rooted much deeper in the organisation.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's paywalled online but a colleague left his paper around in the lunch room today and i caught this article in the SMH
I've got pretty strong views on this sort of thing, and how it's just a really poor way to try and establish and maintain culture.

And the questions this article asks I think are worth thinking about.

"But what happens when the footballers are pushed too far? And how far is too far? When does pushing athletes to their limits become a hazing ritual?"
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldo ... 5e0qk.html

Reminds me a lot of parents who use physical violence to control behaviour, despite the evidence being very clear it's one of the least effective and most harmful ways to go about it... but much like parents who say "getting belted as a kid never did me any harm!".
Coaches are generally ex players who have come through the game on some level and these sorts of things "never did them any harm" and so on we march.

But I guarantee you there are better and more effective ways to establish a culture and set standards for your team that outdated hazing rituals that cause your players extreme physical and in cases, emotional distress. And i think coaches who don't understand that and aren't on the forefront of finding better ways to be leaders and establish that culture are DOA in 2023 and beyond.
Doesn't mean you can't push your players hard and be a tough, hard nosed footy team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote:It's paywalled online but a colleague left his paper around in the lunch room today and i caught this article in the SMH
I've got pretty strong views on this sort of thing, and how it's just a really poor way to try and establish and maintain culture.

And the questions this article asks I think are worth thinking about.

"But what happens when the footballers are pushed too far? And how far is too far? When does pushing athletes to their limits become a hazing ritual?"
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldo ... 5e0qk.html

Reminds me a lot of parents who use physical violence to control behaviour, despite the evidence being very clear it's one of the least effective and most harmful ways to go about it... but much like parents who say "getting belted as a kid never did me any harm!".
Coaches are generally ex players who have come through the game on some level and these sorts of things "never did them any harm" and so on we march.

But I guarantee you there are better and more effective ways to establish a culture and set standards for your team that outdated hazing rituals that cause your players extreme physical and in cases, emotional distress. And i think coaches who don't understand that and aren't on the forefront of finding better ways to be leaders and establish that culture are DOA in 2023 and beyond.
Doesn't mean you can't push your players hard and be a tough, hard nosed footy team.
I agree with this. The story in The Daily Telegraph shows the practices are widespread. Sure send them home if they’re late for training. Or monetary fines. But forcing players to bleach their hair, or things like that, which some find humiliating… it’s just not on in 2023.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We've seen time and time again practices in sport go on much longer than they should

The reason collision sports teams stop going to training and bashing the crap out of each other is the evidence showed it wasn't effective, there was better and safer ways to go about the training.
But it took years after that was clear before enough people got into positions of power to alter that mindset before it became the norm that team mates didn't bash the crap out of each other Monday to Friday :lol:

And the collective culture moves even more slowly in sports when it comes to punishment/hazing
Last edited by Botman on September 1, 2023, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I think there's a lot more to this than we know.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:I think there's a lot more to this than we know.

Oh really? What have you heard?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
dubby wrote:I think there's a lot more to this than we know.

Oh really? What have you heard?
Just a gut feeling

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'd agree with Dubby. Sure, wrestling as punishment in a corporate environment would be weird and completely inappropriate. However wrestling is surely something that NRL players do in several training sessions per week. Is it a far reach from say doing shuttle runs and burpees as punishment? I'm not sure. Maybe the coaching staff see it as a more useful punishment than cardiovascular fitness, practice of a more transferable skill to game day. In any sense, I don't think that in the context of a professional athlete in a very heavy contact sport such as league that it is the extreme form of hazing that some are making out. I'd put money on this being widespread in the NRL, and long standing. I'm not sure that I'd actually want someone that gets the huffs about it and storms out of training in my team. We leads me to think that there is more to it than is being reported.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I also would've accepted "Oh, I just like the bulldogs"
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Could be ‘more’ to the story?
My experience with the Daily Telegraph is that there is usually ‘less’ to the story.