Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2023

Post by dubby »

Mickey_Raider wrote: December 24, 2023, 1:29 pm
dubby wrote: December 24, 2023, 1:24 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:I love chat about the immigration detention issue. People hand wringing about it are deadset just telling on themselves

The recidivism rate in Australia is over 50%.

And 60k convicts are released into the community each year.

So that means that every year we have 30k convicts reoffending in the community. And nary an eyelash is batted.

We have half a dozen convicts reoffending who happen to have brown skin and it is a pearl clutching olympics. Egged on by disingenuous **** like Peter Dutton and gladly parroted by people like Dubby.
They don't have a visa. Why on earth are they here?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
They are refugees mate. In most other countries they would have been settled in the community a long long time ago with very little fuss.

It’s just that in this country we have for some reason been conditioned into accepting that there is a class of refugees who are sub-human depending on their mode of arrival.

“Boat people”.
They are criminals.

They would not be allowed in "most countries "
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I know how easy is to think of those people as undeserving of being in this country and to be given support by our government, because i once held views similar to that. In many ways those views were institutional as a result of the people raising me and what views i was exposed to. Not a lot of balanced opinions being put forward on refugees and minority group struggles at the Botman christmas table, and certainly a laziness on my part to take those opinions at face value and put in time to look at it and form my own view on the issue.

It wasnt until i grew up a bit, got out of that environment, expanded my world view a little and a decent dose of education that i understood how wrong that view is and it is now i talk to my kids about regularly is about how god damn lucky we all are to have been borning a country like Australia and the importance of not letting that stroke of luck convince them that somehow they're better than people who we're unfortunate enough to be borning a country where basic needs and safety is not guaranteed.

Dubby, ill tell you the same thing i tell my children. The difference between you and a refugee is pot luck. You can be the hardest working, smartest man in the world, and if your born in the wrong country at the wrong time, you havent got a prayer. And you can be laziest, dumbest **** in the Australia and you're probably going to be just fine. Dont for a second think you're better than anyone due to that stroke of luck.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

dubby wrote: December 24, 2023, 1:57 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: December 24, 2023, 1:29 pm
dubby wrote: December 24, 2023, 1:24 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:I love chat about the immigration detention issue. People hand wringing about it are deadset just telling on themselves

The recidivism rate in Australia is over 50%.

And 60k convicts are released into the community each year.

So that means that every year we have 30k convicts reoffending in the community. And nary an eyelash is batted.

We have half a dozen convicts reoffending who happen to have brown skin and it is a pearl clutching olympics. Egged on by disingenuous **** like Peter Dutton and gladly parroted by people like Dubby.
They don't have a visa. Why on earth are they here?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
They are refugees mate. In most other countries they would have been settled in the community a long long time ago with very little fuss.

It’s just that in this country we have for some reason been conditioned into accepting that there is a class of refugees who are sub-human depending on their mode of arrival.

“Boat people”.
They are criminals.

They would not be allowed in "most countries "
I won’t go into the ins and out of the Migration Act cf the Refugee Convention with you dubs because I doubt you would be interested. And to be fair most people wouldn’t be.

But just for a second would you mind addressing my point about 30k criminals roaming the streets of Australia and reoffending every year but barely raising a ripple.

In practical and community safety terms, why does the fact that there are a handful of these same class of reoffender roaming the streets who happen to be from, say, Iran, raise the antenna of our public consciousness more than others?

If a convicted murderer with an Australian passport or birth certificate is in the community, is the community more safe than if his Iranian or Iraqi or Sri Lankan equivalent is in the community because the latter doesn’t have the visa that you approve of?
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Don’t know that I agree with your line of reasoning here Mike. Need to know more about any crimes of the people released.

Looks like there’s around 260 homicide perpetrators per year in Australia. If we assume the worst then 80 murderers is absolutely meaningful. Particularly if we get into backgrounds where the murders are not the typical “crime of passion” type stuff that’d be more common in Australia.

Ultimately nothing the government could do following the High Court order beyond scramble as they did. You’d like to have seen them better prepared, but also can understand that this outcome sounds quite unexpected, and you have finite resource which would be prioritised on more likely outcomes.

Accepting refugees into the community with known (or more morally difficult - likely but unprovable) history of serious crime is not something I think our country ever would or should be blase about.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thank you, gangers.

I have friends who have been incarcerated for various reasons.

They're not rock spiders, murderers or rapists.

Unlike some of those Albo released.

It's not the night for this conversation.

May all of you be blessed and have a wonderful night and day tomorrow.

Thanks you all for your contribution to the GH and love of the Raiders, which is why we're here afterall
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote: Unlike some of those Albo released.
That’s not fair dubby. It’s not like Albo looked up this list and went “yep let’s release these folks - it’s a good idea”.

It was an inherited situation and court ruled it illegal and to release them.
dubby wrote: May all of you be blessed and have a wonderful night and day tomorrow.

Thanks you all for your contribution to the GH and love of the Raiders, which is why we're here afterall
Indeed Merry Christmas everyone! ImageImage
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:Thank you, gangers.

I have friends who have been incarcerated for various reasons.

They're not rock spiders, murderers or rapists.

Unlike some of those Albo released.

It's not the night for this conversation.

May all of you be blessed and have a wonderful night and day tomorrow.

Albos a high court judge now?

That's scomo levels of scandal
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 21, 2023, 7:09 pm It's got that 1930s Germany feel about it. A slow spiral into a fascist dictatorship.
which side are the fascists? The one led by the populist asshat that tried to overthrow an election result, or the one that openly uses the courts, federal agencies, and pressures the mega cap social media companies to silence anyone that doesn't like their views?
Last edited by Boomercm on December 24, 2023, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

The Nickman wrote: December 22, 2023, 11:53 am Haha the response from boomer sure is taking a fair bit longer than his original bravado suggested it would, isn't it?
it's a busy time of year, and I have a 3 month old child. I look forward to finishing a reply, but other things have been more important - like prepping for a US trip (with children) to assess which side are the true fascists. I did get to give it 20mins and was enjoying the exercise. I'll probably finish it on the plane on boxing day.

Merry christmas all
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Botman wrote: December 24, 2023, 2:00 pm I know how easy is to think of those people as undeserving of being in this country and to be given support by our government, because i once held views similar to that. In many ways those views were institutional as a result of the people raising me and what views i was exposed to. Not a lot of balanced opinions being put forward on refugees and minority group struggles at the Botman christmas table, and certainly a laziness on my part to take those opinions at face value and put in time to look at it and form my own view on the issue.

It wasnt until i grew up a bit, got out of that environment, expanded my world view a little and a decent dose of education that i understood how wrong that view is and it is now i talk to my kids about regularly is about how god damn lucky we all are to have been borning a country like Australia and the importance of not letting that stroke of luck convince them that somehow they're better than people who we're unfortunate enough to be borning a country where basic needs and safety is not guaranteed.

Dubby, ill tell you the same thing i tell my children. The difference between you and a refugee is pot luck. You can be the hardest working, smartest man in the world, and if your born in the wrong country at the wrong time, you havent got a prayer. And you can be laziest, dumbest **** in the Australia and you're probably going to be just fine. Dont for a second think you're better than anyone due to that stroke of luck.
This is a good post.

The issue is that if you let everyone in at once, then our (or any) lucky country is no longer a lucky country. These are excellent discussions to have with kids as they are moral dilemmas and there can be many different valid opinions. It's a style of reasoning and reflection you are trying to encourage, not a particular answer.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 20, 2023, 8:53 pm So, the Colorado Supreme Court has found that Trump participated in the insurrection and has deemed him ineligible for the Presidential election, removing his name from the primary ballot. No doubt that the Federal Supreme Court that he stacked will overturn it, and it will mobilise his rabid support base more. Interesting times.
a 4-3 decision where they were all appointed by democrats. Interestingly, the 4 were all from ivy league colleges, and the 3 were not (educated locally in colarado). Looks a lot like a split on the left, between the woke and non-woke.

This has been happening for some time. Many former progressives have been disillusioned by the left (I'll take my seat here next to Elon and JK Rowling). It's the rise of the grey tribe, like it's been lifted straight out of the classic slate star codex essay (I can tolerate anything except the outgroup). I never thought I had a tribe until I read that essay. It was like finding true north. The grey tribe definitely used to be more associated with the blue tribe, but more and more its an uncomfortable fit. The grey tribe would definitely now be leaning red, except for Trump.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: December 24, 2023, 4:11 pm Don’t know that I agree with your line of reasoning here Mike. Need to know more about any crimes of the people released.

Looks like there’s around 260 homicide perpetrators per year in Australia. If we assume the worst then 80 murderers is absolutely meaningful. Particularly if we get into backgrounds where the murders are not the typical “crime of passion” type stuff that’d be more common in Australia.

Ultimately nothing the government could do following the High Court order beyond scramble as they did. You’d like to have seen them better prepared, but also can understand that this outcome sounds quite unexpected, and you have finite resource which would be prioritised on more likely outcomes.

Accepting refugees into the community with known (or more morally difficult - likely but unprovable) history of serious crime is not something I think our country ever would or should be blase about.
I am not quite sure what reasoning you don’t agree with.

Every single day countless Aussie citizens are released into the community after serving sentences for a variety of crimes. Often they are violent crimes.

And yet under these exact same circumstances, a relatively tiny number of refugees who in many cases have been detained for a decade are released into the community and we are supposed to be inherently more outraged and afraid about community safety than the former.

Why?
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Boomercm wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 21, 2023, 7:09 pm It's got that 1930s Germany feel about it. A slow spiral into a fascist dictatorship.
which side are the fascists? The one led by the populist asshat that tried to overthrow an election result, or the one that openly uses the courts, federal agencies, and pressures the mega cap social media companies to silence anyone that doesn't like their views?
I'll go with the ones that incite and carry out violence.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 24, 2023, 10:07 pm
Boomercm wrote:
I'll go with the ones that incite and carry out violence.

fascism: a political system headed by a dictator in which the government controls business and labor and opposition is not permitted.

Right now, i'd find it easier to make a case that the US left is more fascist than the right. They're trying to take their number 1 opponent off the ballot, are using the FBI to control the press and the flow of information to the public, and targeting business leaders that won't do their bidding (much like the CPP did to Jack Ma).

Granted their are no winners in this race to the bottom.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This thread is becoming a comedy now. A dark comedy, where arguments are so twisted that applying fair rules of law and decent human behaviour is somehow portrayed as dictatorial. And those who’ve actually tried to usurp democracy with corruption and violence are somehow being given a free pass. Sad state of the world.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

That could have come straight from Rachell Maddow herself, GE. You should try for a gig as a writer at CNN or MSNBC.

I'll be curious to see how the fair application of the rule of law is perceived if and when most this stuff is thrown out by the Supreme Court*.

*Standard disclaimer. I don't like Trump at all. But I do like the rule of law and a free press
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Interesting take Boomer. Let's not forget that the suet against Trump in Colorado was filed by Republicans. It doesn't quite fit your narrative.

I'm with GE. There is a fairly obvious difference between the behaviour that Trump and his supporters have exhibited, and anything that Biden has supposedly done. He is a criminal. He is not above the law and he needs to account for his actions. There is nothing fascist about that. Inciting an insurrection, sending a murderous mob to the Capitol to hang the Vice and disrupt the peaceful transfer of power. Well if you can't see how that's an issue, we probably don't have much to discuss.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I had no idea who Rachel Maddow is until I just looked her up.

Anyway… these are things Trump is saying right now. It is extremely concerning…

Trump’s long fascination with ‘good genes’ and bloodlines gets fresh scrutiny: https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer ... 5etgc.html

Trump says he will be a dictator only on ‘day one’ if elected president: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -town-hall

Trump, again, praises dictators and rails against immigrants -- again sparking backlash: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-p ... =105725220
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 25, 2023, 6:18 am Interesting take Boomer. Let's not forget that the suet against Trump in Colorado was filed by Republicans. It doesn't quite fit your narrative.

I'm with GE. There is a fairly obvious difference between the behaviour that Trump and his supporters have exhibited, and anything that Biden has supposedly done. He is a criminal. He is not above the law and he needs to account for his actions. There is nothing fascist about that. Inciting an insurrection, sending a murderous mob to the Capitol to hang the Vice and disrupt the peaceful transfer of power. Well if you can't see how that's an issue, we probably don't have much to discuss.
I think Trump is a reprehensible character. Terrible. But I don't believe that he incited an insurrection. And nor does the US legal system. There is a law against incitement, and he's not been charged with that (because the evidence doesn't fit the legal standard). They've used 'novel' interpretations of laws all the way through re Jan 6. And he's still not been found guilty of anything.

But it doesn't really matter what I think the true state of the world is. Nor what you think. If you just look at it from the interest of keeping a stable society. The true state of the world (what actually took place) is really unknown. If it were as cut and dried as you think, then ~50% of the US population wouldn't be against removing him from the ballot. And if enough people think what happened was not incitement and insurrection, then some novel interpretation of the constitution certainly shouldn't be used to remove him from the ballot. And if right leaning moderates like me think that the Biden administration is approaching fascists tendencies (not just with Trump, but targeting Elon, and others)... imagine how Trumps supporters are taking it. It is a very, very, shortsighted decision (like a lot of other short sighted decisions that have been made, all of which have strengthened his support base and made the situation much worse).
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm not suggesting that it's cut and dry. I agree with your last statement that this will strengthen his support base. It's mind boggling that anyone could support such an awful person, and believe that he will look after anyone but himself.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ge is a leftist protagonist that has the power to dissolve free speech on this idiot woke site.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 24, 2023, 4:11 pm Don’t know that I agree with your line of reasoning here Mike. Need to know more about any crimes of the people released.

Every single day countless Aussie citizens are released into the community after serving sentences for a variety of crimes. Often they are violent crimes.

And yet under these exact same circumstances, a relatively tiny number of refugees who in many cases have been detained for a decade are released into the community and we are supposed to be inherently more outraged and afraid about community safety than the former.

Why?
Did you read my post? It had my reasoning, none of which you seem to address?

Cliffs notes:
* It is not the “same circumstances”. Your stats for Australian criminals cover all crime. We don’t know the crimes of this group (which is why it’d be great to know more), but it seems fairly safe to assume they’re not being kept detained for marijuana possession. In terms of serious crimes like homicide their numbers are not insignificant.
* Given they’re coming from countries with a lot more instability there’s a chance some of them have backgrounds that are more serious than garden variety crimes of passion also.
* Australia holds no obligation to take refugees with backgrounds of serious crime. Which I think most people are comfortable with.

Adding in a couple of bonus reasons:
* Two wrongs don’t make a right. Your argument suggests more to be done with our judicial system, not that it makes it okay to release dangerous people in the community.
* Our criminals are at least judged to have served their appropriate time and/or shown remorse etc. No such process existed here.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2023

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote: I think Trump is a reprehensible character. Terrible. But I don't believe that he incited an insurrection.
Do you believe he did nothing to incite insurrection? Or do you believe he didn’t incite insurrection in a way that is blatant and provable in a court of law?
Boomercm wrote: But it doesn't really matter what I think the true state of the world is. Nor what you think. If you just look at it from the interest of keeping a stable society. The true state of the world (what actually took place) is really unknown. If it were as cut and dried as you think, then ~50% of the US population wouldn't be against removing him from the ballot.
In the interest of keeping a stable society we need to make it okay to break laws if you’re popular enough.

You can’t reason people out of thinking they didn’t reason themselves into. I’m pretty fed up with this idea that descent into chaos is the fault of people who call others to account. If these people still support Trump now I don’t see what you’re going to do to understand them and change their minds.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

@ nick and Micky, there were 3 murderers and several sex offenders including paedophiles among those 84 "refugees" released.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What was your expectation? That the government ignore the law and illegally det... ah nevermind
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

“When they let 15-16 million immigrants into our country, we’ve got a lot of work to do. They’re poisoning the blood of our country. That’s what they’ve done,” he told cheering audiences at a 2024 US Presidential Campaign address. “They’re coming from prisons, from mental institutions — from all over the world.”
https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/le ... 69ea839036

Pretty sure I know who the fascist is.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:What was your expectation? That the government ignore the law and illegally det... ah nevermind
You lack the sky news platform to tell him what to think, so yeah it's a waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:Haha the response from boomer sure is taking a fair bit longer than his original bravado suggested it would, isn't it?
I assume he ran out of free tokens on ChatGOPT
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: December 26, 2023, 5:26 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:

Why?
Did you read my post? It had my reasoning, none of which you seem to address?

Cliffs notes:
* It is not the “same circumstances”. Your stats for Australian criminals cover all crime. We don’t know the crimes of this group (which is why it’d be great to know more), but it seems fairly safe to assume they’re not being kept detained for marijuana possession. In terms of serious crimes like homicide their numbers are not insignificant.
* Given they’re coming from countries with a lot more instability there’s a chance some of them have backgrounds that are more serious than garden variety crimes of passion also.
* Australia holds no obligation to take refugees with backgrounds of serious crime. Which I think most people are comfortable with.

Adding in a couple of bonus reasons:
* Two wrongs don’t make a right. Your argument suggests more to be done with our judicial system, not that it makes it okay to release dangerous people in the community.
* Our criminals are at least judged to have served their appropriate time and/or shown remorse etc. No such process existed here.
Quite a few issues, fallacies and falsehoods in your post Gangers my friend.

1. "...but it seems fairly safe to assume they’re not being kept detained for marijuana possession."

They are being kept detained because our immigration laws have been constructed so that maritime arrivals, even if legitimate refugees, are never allowed to be settled in Australia unless the Minister exercises god like powers to intervene. They aren't being detained for being so called "hardcore criminals" notwithstanding the fact that there are some in the cohort with criminal records.

2. "Australia holds no obligation to take refugees with backgrounds of serious crime. Which I think most people are comfortable with."

Well this is actually what the High Court just ruled on. You are partially correct in that if refugees have backgrounds of serious crime Australia is fully entitled to investigate avenues for resettlement elsewhere, whether it is negotiating with other countries or back in their country of origin (latter would most likely need to be voluntary though, given that they are typically legitimate refugees who can't be sent back to country of origin).

However the HC ruling means that if the above arrangements are not reasonably foreseeable or practical (which would often entail a refugee with an adverse security assessment whom other countries are not willing to accept), then Australia can't just hold them in immigrant detention indefinitely.

3. "Two wrongs don’t make a right. Your argument suggests more to be done with our judicial system, not that it makes it okay to release dangerous people in the community.

I am not suggesting or prescribing anything. What I am highlighting is the sad double standards we have as a society and community when it comes to refugees and others. More to come on this below...

4. "Our criminals are at least judged to have served their appropriate time and/or shown remorse etc. No such process existed here."

And I think this is your biggest misapprehension, which is based on a falsehood. Not sure how you arrived there but FYI, every person being released into the community, if they had a criminal record, has either served their sentence in their country of origin or in the Australian system. So there would be former detainees who had adverse assessments from overseas involving a prison sentence; and former detainees who breached a visa condition through committing a crime in Australia, served their time in an Aussie jail, and were then transferred to immigration detention while our government tried (unsuccessfully) to deport them.

I think you've mistakenly interpreted the events of the last month or two as the courts conferring some special rights on foreign criminals when in fact this couldn't be further from the truth. In reality all it has done is limit the power of the government to subject some to the horrors of indefinite detention.

And herein lies my main point.

You have tried to make some qualitative difference between the 130 odd "hardcore foreign criminals" with spent convictions and the 60k Aussies with spent convictions released into the community every year. It stands to reason that such a big data set would comprise a mosaic of different crimes, from the most serious to the most minor. It also stands to reason that every year, true blue dinky di Aussie sex offenders, murderers, rapists, perpetrators of assault, perpetrators of burglary, and perpetrators of petty crime alike would be re-entering the community. Every. Single. Day.

And I therefore I refer to my original post and just have to restate my original question because it hasn't been answered.

Even if we accept that out of the 130+ former detainees released into the community there is an outsized representation of perpetrators of serious crime (which I wouldn't necessarily accept because I think it is being exaggerated for political effect). We know at this stage there are a few but for the sake of argument lets just accept it for a minute.

Why are we inherently more unsafe and angry about this despite the fact that literally thousands of Aussies with criminal histories are released into the community every year and walking amongst us.

Why?
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

dubby wrote: December 26, 2023, 11:24 am @ nick and Micky, there were 3 murderers and several sex offenders including paedophiles among those 84 "refugees" released.
Unless you're lobbying for the return of the death penalty I am not quite sure what your point is, tbh.

I will add though that it is quite clear that you don't actually know what a refugee is.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2023

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote: 1. "...but it seems fairly safe to assume they’re not being kept detained for marijuana possession."

They are being kept detained because our immigration laws have been constructed so that maritime arrivals, even if legitimate refugees, are never allowed to be settled in Australia unless the Minister exercises god like powers to intervene. They aren't being detained for being so called "hardcore criminals" notwithstanding the fact that there are some in the cohort with criminal records.
Got a source on this? My understanding was that pretty much everyone had been settled somewhere now, and that we’re into the dregs who have serious offences in Australia or have serious security concerns?
Mickey_Raider wrote: 2. "Australia holds no obligation to take refugees with backgrounds of serious crime. Which I think most people are comfortable with."

Well this is actually what the High Court just ruled on. You are partially correct in that if refugees have backgrounds of serious crime Australia is fully entitled to investigate avenues for resettlement elsewhere, whether it is negotiating with other countries or back in their country of origin (latter would most likely need to be voluntary though, given that they are typically legitimate refugees who can't be sent back to country of origin).

However the HC ruling means that if the above arrangements are not reasonably foreseeable or practical (which would often entail a refugee with an adverse security assessment whom other countries are not willing to accept), then Australia can't just hold them in immigrant detention indefinitely.
My mistake, I didn’t make it clear that here I don’t really care for the legalities. I don’t believe we have a moral obligation to do so. Can’t see an argument that would make me lose much sleep over doing so.
Mickey_Raider wrote: 3. "Two wrongs don’t make a right. Your argument suggests more to be done with our judicial system, not that it makes it okay to release dangerous people in the community.

I am not suggesting or prescribing anything. What I am highlighting is the sad double standards we have as a society and community when it comes to refugees and others. More to come on this below...
Disagree, I think if you put the cases of certain released criminals in front of people you’d have similar outrage.

Mickey_Raider wrote: 4. "Our criminals are at least judged to have served their appropriate time and/or shown remorse etc. No such process existed here."

And I think this is your biggest misapprehension, which is based on a falsehood. Not sure how you arrived there but FYI, every person being released into the community, if they had a criminal record, has either served their sentence in their country of origin or in the Australian system. So there would be former detainees who had adverse assessments from overseas involving a prison sentence; and former detainees who breached a visa condition through committing a crime in Australia, served their time in an Aussie jail, and were then transferred to immigration detention while our government tried (unsuccessfully) to deport them.
Don’t believe your view is 100% accurate. This article seems to give examples of people not having served full sentences for crimes they were convicted of in Australia. Let alone concerns/crimes that might not be possible/successfully prosecuted due to having occurred elsewhere?

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nt-reveals

Mickey_Raider wrote: And I therefore I refer to my original post and just have to restate my original question because it hasn't been answered.

Even if we accept that out of the 130+ former detainees released into the community there is an outsized representation of perpetrators of serious crime (which I wouldn't necessarily accept because I think it is being exaggerated for political effect). We know at this stage there are a few but for the sake of argument lets just accept it for a minute.

Why are we inherently more unsafe and angry about this despite the fact that literally thousands of Aussies with criminal histories are released into the community every year and walking amongst us.
1. If you assume they represent an outsized representation then that IS a measurable increase in dangerous criminals released - why would that not trigger outrage? The way you’ve framed the question assumes we ARE inherently more unsafe!?

2. Australian citizens are arguably more “our problem”. I think you’d struggle to find many people who think taking on refugees means we should take on people who throw that opportunity back in our face. What’s the solution? I don’t know, but I’m having a hard time feeling sympathy.

3. Because releasing our own serious criminals back into society sucks in itself, I have a hard time with murderers being released ever…
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** you blokes are soft, **** escort to the airport, 1 way ticket back to where ever the **** you came from... with a nice ride in a bull wagon on the way.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Get on to it Dutto.

This place is woke.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: December 27, 2023, 10:24 am Don’t believe your view is 100% accurate. This article seems to give examples of people not having served full sentences for crimes they were convicted of in Australia. Let alone concerns/crimes that might not be possible/successfully prosecuted due to having occurred elsewhere?

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nt-reveals
My understanding as per the Australian Lawyers Alliance and various other sources is that those released and proposed to be released have already served their sentence. https://www.lawyersalliance.com.au/news ... n-refugees

To that end I am not sure if your whole schtick is predicated on an assumption that there are foreign criminals are being released into the community to roam free when they still have sentences to serve. If it is, well, I don't think it is based in fact.

Also I think you have mistaken my point about double standards as thinking I have a particular predilection for Saudi Arabian murderers. I don't. But I do think in this country we are particularly susceptible, due to a generation of systemic dehumanisation of refugees, to accept certain standards for the "other" that we absolutely wouldn't accept in Australia.

And the latest iteration of that is the campaign to convince us all that our society is about to be ravaged by scores of hardened foreign criminals, despite the fact that hardened criminals in great number are released into the community every single day in this country.

I mean really. One of the examples in the article you cited was a dude done for indecent assault who was languishing in indefinite detention for 12 years. Sure, most would likely think Blake Ferguson or Dylan Brown are flogs, but indefinite detention for the rest of their days? Cmon.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote: My understanding as per the Australian Lawyers Alliance and various other sources is that those released and proposed to be released have already served their sentence. https://www.lawyersalliance.com.au/news ... n-refugees

To that end I am not sure if your whole schtick is predicated on an assumption that there are foreign criminals are being released into the community to roam free when they still have sentences to serve. If it is, well, I don't think it is based in fact.
Not seeing anything in there that’s convincing me the specific cases cited in the article are incorrect?

Mickey_Raider wrote: Also I think you have mistaken my point about double standards as thinking I have a particular predilection for Saudi Arabian murderers. I don't.
But I do think in this country we are particularly susceptible, due to a generation of systemic dehumanisation of refugees, to accept certain standards for the "other" that we absolutely wouldn't accept in Australia.
Assume that was humour, because it doesn’t make any sense in response to what I said or how I characterised your point.

What I am saying is that this is being shoved in people’s faces, and I believe they’d be concerned about safety regardless of whether they’re refugees or not (of course there will be some weirdos who are - but I don’t think they’re a large percentage).
Mickey_Raider wrote: I mean really. One of the examples in the article you cited was a dude done for indecent assault who was languishing in indefinite detention for 12 years. Sure, most would likely think Blake Ferguson or Dylan Brown are flogs, but indefinite detention for the rest of their days? Cmon.
Depends entirely if that’s the whole story now doesn’t it? Some of these people are of concern to ASIO right?

We’re always up in arms when the system fails to do the sensible thing where people who shouldn’t have been released get released. If it’s grey I’m happy to err on the side of impinging the rights of criminals personally.

Obviously that can lead to abuse of power and there should be scrutiny over decisions like this. Without knowing the individual situations I don’t think anyone can say with certainty whether releasing them is a good/bad call and it’s very likely there’s a mixture of both here I’d guess.