Charges against Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton dropped

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Charges against Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton dropped

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: November 3, 2023, 4:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote: November 3, 2023, 3:41 pm If Don’s claims that this was a targeted thing towards NRL players are true then that is very bad and concerning. If those claims aren’t true and this is the standard of policing for everyone then that is a lot worse! Most punters don’t have the power and support of an NRL club behind them.
I don’t think you need the power and support of an NRL club when the whole thing is on video and contradicts the police statements. You could self-represent and just play the footage.
But you need lawyers smart enough to ask Fiction, is that all the CCTV footage you have? Because the DPP didn’t have the key piece of video, so it wouldn’t have been shared with the defence through the normal court procedures.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Unseen Fiction CCTV from Jack Wighton and Latrell Mitchell case: The Canberra Times has acquired the Fiction nightclub CCTV that blindsided prosecutors, who it's understood hadn't received the key angle as part of a police brief of evidence: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

That unseen footage is unbelievable. You can see why the case was thrown out. I’m very critical of NRL players who don’t maintain decent standards and the clubs that don’t hold them to account, but that video made me angry. Jack not only appeared to be behaving appropriately but he also seemed to respectfully comply with every instruction. A very bad look for the police in my view.
BJ
Steve Walters

Charges against Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton dropped

Post by BJ »

Wow that was about as damning footage for the police officer as you could get. You wouldn’t believe it if it was a defence attorney in Boston Legal with an aha moment of video footage.

Unfortunately the negative findings against police in the Scott and Starling incidents seems to have made some police officers want to support their colleagues from other jurisdictions. Now add to that this Wighton incident and there’s going to be a small percentage of policemen who will want to prove a point on NRL players for even the most minor infraction.

The Police Minister needs to put some sort of circuit breaker in place.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: NRL superstars Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton arrested over alleged fight

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Riaan wrote: February 8, 2023, 11:54 am :lol: at everyone lapping up the players version of events.
I'd say there is a little more to this than what is being portrayed in the media.
Ooof. How embarrassing for you.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: NRL superstars Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton arrested over alleged fight

Post by Raider Azz »

Dr Greenthumb wrote: November 10, 2023, 1:25 pm
Riaan wrote: February 8, 2023, 11:54 am :lol: at everyone lapping up the players version of events.
I'd say there is a little more to this than what is being portrayed in the media.
Ooof. How embarrassing for you.
Yeah the first few pages of this thread are great if you need a good laugh
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

This place is woke.