All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Corey Harawira Naera’s career remains in limbo

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: April 24, 2024, 5:21 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 24, 2024, 5:05 pm The bottom line is that CHN is going to be entitled to a full pay out of his contract if medically retired. He is well within his rights to try and get back on the field. If CHN is medically retired, the Raiders will be entitled to full salary cap relief from the time of the incident. It is in neither parties’ interests to try and find some sort of a negotiated payout, it’s so far fetched it’s downright ridiculous for anyone to keep suggesting it. The process will play out.

The Raiders are handling this perfectly and acting admirably. My goodness there’d be some awful reputational damage for the club with players and public alike if they were to try and do anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GE - can I ask you the same question I asked Finchy. Would you be ok with an outcome where CHN takes the entire time remaining on his contract to exhaust all options to try to return?
Asking GE if he would be OK with an outcome that is in all likelihood not going to happen is a pointless question.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2024, 4:26 pm cat, do you understand what happens "in the real world" if you get injured at work and can't fulfil your duties?
Yes I do , the insurance company will want evidence the "injury " was caused by the job.
Having a seizure/medical episode due to a pre existing/none job related condition at the workplace doesn't give you workers compensation

There has been a number of staff have medical episodes in my work place where ambulances were called none of them were given workers compensation

This is not a work related illness/injury

He was actually fortunate that it occurred "at work" as it could have happened just as easily at home where there was no doctor available to help

In the real world he would be on leave without pay
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cat… it won’t come to that. There are medical processes in train and we have to be patient that those who have the appropriate information (which none of us have, appropriately) will work it through in a respectful way for all the parties. We certainly don’t know Corey’s episode is the result of a pre existing condition.

This is professional sport, it’s not an everyday situation, there are contractual obligations in place that have to be honoured. Not only legal issues, but insurance issues too - and those need to be settled by those with the information to do so.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2024, 4:26 pm cat, do you understand what happens "in the real world" if you get injured at work and can't fulfil your duties?
Yes I do , the insurance company will want evidence the "injury " was caused by the job.
Having a seizure/medical episode due to a pre existing/none job related condition at the workplace doesn't give you workers compensation

There has been a number of staff have medical episodes in my work place where ambulances were called none of them were given workers compensation

He was actually fortunate that it occurred "at work" as it could have happened just as easily at home where there was no doctor available to help

How do you know it was pre existing?

How do you know those people still aren't fighting for workers compensation?

All I'm seeing from you is someone with an agenda against this guy, as you've presented the whole time he's played for the club

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 24, 2024, 5:29 pm I suspect the club would want the medical retirement paid by some sort of insurance, and the insurance would be in the habit of requiring clear medical evidence that he can no longer play.

In the case of CHN and a seemingly random seizure, that might be hard to obtain
The issue of having a defibrillator inserted will probably play a part there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

cat wrote:

Yes, that is possible.

Funnily enough, NRL players do actually have sick leave entitlements (most recently reported in the Jackson Topine story).

In this case I suspect the club is doing the right thing by CHN, perhaps in large part as a publicity exercise to show how the club treats it's players.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

cat wrote: April 24, 2024, 5:58 pm

None of us work in environments where our bodies are subject to constant and repetitious impact which has been proven to be equivalent to that of being in a car accident at speed.

Just because it hasn’t happened before does not mean it is not “work” related and I would take a guess that the RLPA who will represent Corey (if need be) will be requesting studies from the NRL which state that high impact collisions do NOT cause seizures. Which they obviously don’t have at this point.

The Raiders are doing the right thing by their employee and Corey is fully entitled to not be out of pocket for his current contract and perhaps beyond that if it is found to be a permanent condition that he has suffered in the course of his employment as a rugby league player.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:57 am
cat wrote:

Yes, that is possible.

Funnily enough, NRL players do actually have sick leave entitlements (most recently reported in the Jackson Topine story).

In this case I suspect the club is doing the right thing by CHN, perhaps in large part as a publicity exercise to show how the club treats it's players.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Does anyone know if the NRL “insurance” policy is a workers comp type policy or more of a personal insurance policy. Workers comp requires the injury to work related. Where as the personal policy is simply you are unable to preform your job due to accident/illness independent of how and where.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

No updates?
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: May 10, 2024, 6:06 pm No updates?
No. Hope this helps.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: May 10, 2024, 6:53 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 10, 2024, 6:06 pm No updates?
No. Hope this helps.
Sadly it doesn’t, we continue on with our 29 man squad I guess