Ethan Sanders signs three year deal with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by Botman »

The worry I have is that we have a glaring need at hooker and some very very talented kids
We need a 2-3 year bridge and I’m extremely worried Stuart think Levi is good enough for that. He’s not and where I think Colk is 1000% correct, if we are planning on a spine that includes Strange, Sanders and Stewart, and I believe that’s exactly the plan, we need really high quality hooker play to take the pressure off

And specifically we need creativity out of hooker, either as a ball player or runner. Assuming Sanders gets done, I believe the clubs biggest priority should be finding a hooker upgrade. And unfortunately I don’t know where to find it.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Finchy wrote: April 6, 2024, 1:38 pm Austin wasn't a plodder. He carved up at the Tigers, which is why we poached him. He had flaws in his game, but he was no plodder.
Ok, yeah fair calling him a plodder is harsh but he was in and out of first grade for 4 years and they let him walk in the end. He definitely was a high risk/high return signing vs Fog or Sezer for example and definitely not near a Maloney or Reynolds. At least they got one really good year out of it though.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: April 6, 2024, 1:42 pm The worry I have is that we have a glaring need at hooker and some very very talented kids
We need a 2-3 year bridge and I’m extremely worried Stuart think Levi is good enough for that. He’s not and where I think Colk is 1000% correct, if we are planning on a spine that includes Strange, Sanders and Stewart, and I believe that’s exactly the plan, we need really high quality hooker play to take the pressure off

And specifically we need creativity out of hooker, either as a ball player or runner. Assuming Sanders gets done, I believe the clubs biggest priority should be finding a hooker upgrade. And unfortunately I don’t know where to find it.
And to think we could have had a go at Koroisau or Mahoney, who only left their clubs for $650k. We had $900k approx from Hodgo leaving.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: April 6, 2024, 1:56 pm
Botman wrote: April 6, 2024, 1:42 pm The worry I have is that we have a glaring need at hooker and some very very talented kids

And to think we could have had a go at Koroisau or Mahoney, who only left their clubs for $650k. We had $900k approx from Hodgo leaving.
I get what you're saying but honestly where would that have left us? We would of had to pay them more - minimum 750k, more likely 900k to lure then away from Sydney. Which would have made it difficult to upgrade Tapine, Young and Timoko whilst bringing in Strange and Stewart.

If we had those guys slot into our team now it would be outstanding but what would have been more likely is we would have lost one or 2 of the 5 I mentioned above. With Mahoney or Api over the past 2 seasons would have we really pushed for a premiership? I don't think so. So essentially, we lose some elite talent in one area to gain it in another and it doesn't position us better in the long term. We have a short term crack, like most idiot clubs do and we fail.

The reason Storm, Panthers, Roosters have been such a premiership force is because of their long term focus on development. We need to do the same, and that is what's happening.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 6, 2024, 2:04 pm

I get what you're saying but honestly where would that have left us? We would of had to pay them more - minimum 750k, more likely 900k to lure then away from Sydney. Which would have made it difficult to upgrade Tapine, Young and Timoko whilst bringing in Strange and Stewart.

If we had those guys slot into our team now it would be outstanding but what would have been more likely is we would have lost one or 2 of the 5 I mentioned above. With Mahoney or Api over the past 2 seasons would have we really pushed for a premiership? I don't think so. So essentially, we lose some elite talent in one area to gain it in another and it doesn't position us better in the long term. We have a short term crack, like most idiot clubs do and we fail.

The reason Storm, Panthers, Roosters have been such a premiership force is because of their long term focus on development. We need to do the same, and that is what's happening.
I particularly agree with the last part. We can't recruit elite talent, every time we've tried we've failed. The four options for us as I see it are:

1) Develop our own
2) Recruit junior elite talent and hope it translates to first grade elite talent
3) Moneyball - recruit talented players stuck behind better talent elsewhere (can include juniors which fits into option 2)
4) ESL
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I’d kill a man for Wayde Egan
God he’s improved out of sight over the last 18 months
Exactly the type of player we need to try and find at 9.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Botman wrote: April 6, 2024, 3:01 pm I’d kill a man for Wayde Egan
I was just thinking the same thing. Giving the Bunnies a real headache.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Massive dart throw but any chance Cook becomes decent again behind a better pack? Souffs will surely blow it up soon.

They could go for Egan from november but the Warriors don’t seem to ever release players early.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: April 6, 2024, 2:40 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 6, 2024, 2:04 pm

I particularly agree with the last part. We can't recruit elite talent, every time we've tried we've failed. The four options for us as I see it are:

1) Develop our own
2) Recruit junior elite talent and hope it translates to first grade elite talent
3) Moneyball - recruit talented players stuck behind better talent elsewhere (can include juniors which fits into option 2)
4) ESL
For sure. A combination of the 4 is what we seem to be doing. Would be nice to add a cherry on top now and again ala Fifita.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: April 6, 2024, 3:22 pm Massive dart throw but any chance Cook becomes decent again behind a better pack? Souffs will surely blow it up soon.

They could go for Egan from november but the Warriors don’t seem to ever release players early.
Wrong side of 30 for mine.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Absolute gun. The Warriors are a serious contender IMO.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Measure him up for a blue jersey too. Egan at 9, Api at 14 would be quite lethal.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 6, 2024, 11:59 am
Colk wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 4, 2024, 11:56 am Let's hope Stewart is the goods. He doesn't have that explosive speed of the elite fullbacks in the comp, but he is a smart ballplayer and seems to read the game well.

It will be a very different looking attack with a player like him in the side. I think it works if you have power and speed on the wings, with the likes of Savage and Asomua.

Hopefully we eventually see a nice combo with the kicking game of Sanders and running game of Strange.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
That is my concern with Stewart. He looks a good footballer but as an athlete I’m not sure. He doesn’t have the explosive speed of a Walsh or a Ponga or a few others. It is why I am not so sure he is going to be a great player. He will have the smarts to be a good dependable fullback but his lack of size and relative pace might limit him.
Agreed. He's clearly a smart player and from what I've seen courageous in defence. It's that out and out pace which limits him, given he's not a huge unit.

Perhaps he ends up like Schifcofske. If that's the case we'll have struck gold. Otherwise, who knows.

This is a big year for his development. There's every chance he makes his debut later this season.

I'd love it if he was as good as Shif.

Shif was actually quite fast IIRC. But he was all heart. A great defender
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Webster really has made a big impact on that team.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 6, 2024, 11:59 am
Colk wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 4, 2024, 11:56 am Let's hope Stewart is the goods. He doesn't have that explosive speed of the elite fullbacks in the comp, but he is a smart ballplayer and seems to read the game well.

It will be a very different looking attack with a player like him in the side. I think it works if you have power and speed on the wings, with the likes of Savage and Asomua.

Hopefully we eventually see a nice combo with the kicking game of Sanders and running game of Strange.

That is my concern with Stewart. He looks a good footballer but as an athlete I’m not sure. He doesn’t have the explosive speed of a Walsh or a Ponga or a few others. It is why I am not so sure he is going to be a great player. He will have the smarts to be a good dependable fullback but his lack of size and relative pace might limit him.
Agreed. He's clearly a smart player and from what I've seen courageous in defence. It's that out and out pace which limits him, given he's not a huge unit.

Perhaps he ends up like Schifcofske. If that's the case we'll have struck gold. Otherwise, who knows.

This is a big year for his development. There's every chance he makes his debut later this season.

I'd love it if he was as good as Shif.

Shif was actually quite fast IIRC. But he was all heart. A great defender
Schifcofske is a legend!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Schif had good acceleration which could put him through the line. Top speed over distance nothing special. Didn't matter because he was pretty good when he made a break and usually managed to stand up the FB or find a good pass anyway.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

BadnMean wrote: April 6, 2024, 5:39 pm Schif had good acceleration which could put him through the line. Top speed over distance nothing special. Didn't matter because he was pretty good when he made a break and usually managed to stand up the FB or find a good pass anyway.
I remember the footy show did a sprint for raiders players.

Phil Graham won.

Shif and Milne weren't far behind.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

dubby wrote: April 6, 2024, 6:54 pm
BadnMean wrote: April 6, 2024, 5:39 pm Schif had good acceleration which could put him through the line. Top speed over distance nothing special. Didn't matter because he was pretty good when he made a break and usually managed to stand up the FB or find a good pass anyway.

Phil Graham won.

Fair enough. Didn't remember Milne as super quick, or maybe it was just he couldn't change direction was his issue.

Shif used to just do that little crow hop stop and then zoom away through a newly minted barely gap.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

BadnMean wrote:

Phil Graham won.

Fair enough. Didn't remember Milne as super quick, or maybe it was just he couldn't change direction was his issue.

Shif used to just do that little crow hop stop and then zoom away through a newly minted barely gap.
The Schif Shuffle
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: But that’s the bloody point mate
We can recruit hookers, halves and fullbacks who are FG level, we’ve done that and guess what? It doesn’t get you premierships
Fog, Sezer, G Willy, CNK (hodgo being the exception in that he was top tier elite)
CNK was elite in 2019
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rick wrote:Andrew Johns has suggested St George use the money from releasing Lomax to buy Sanders. John’s has said he has been watching a lot more Jnr football over the past couple of years and if he was to buy anyone it would be Sanders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well there goes my hopes that Sanders will be any good
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

reptar wrote: April 6, 2024, 7:25 pm
BadnMean wrote:

Phil Graham won.

The Schif Shuffle
Some Schif highlights. First few minutes are Union. Raiders highlights after 5 mins. Good memories.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

BadnMean wrote: April 6, 2024, 7:16 pm

Phil Graham won.

Milne was explosive over 20 - 40

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

dubby wrote:
BadnMean wrote: April 6, 2024, 7:16 pm

Phil Graham won.

Milne was explosive over 20 - 40
Yeah, Milne was explosive. Schif was quick off the mark too, but never blisteringly fast from memory.

It was the ball playing role which turned Schif into a classic modern day fullback. He was like a third half. That's what I see in Stewart.

Chevy isn't a slug, he's just not a jet. Basically the same height and build as Schif, has the vision to play what's in front of him too. There's a few similarities there. Hopefully his defence gets to the same level as Choc.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 6, 2024, 3:41 pm
Egan, DWZ, CNK, Jackson Ford, even Mitch Barnett, have all been better players since the coaching of Andrew Webster. people were calling Egan a plodder 3 years ago and were not complimentary about Ford.

People discussed and dismissed Shaun Johnson in 2021 when we were looking for a half back. He's played his best football since Webster's coaching.

We couldn't even beat them with Egan, Dylan Walker, Niukore and CNK out and their FB suffering a HIA.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

gangrenous wrote: April 6, 2024, 7:52 pm
Rick wrote:Andrew Johns has suggested St George use the money from releasing Lomax to buy Sanders. John’s has said he has been watching a lot more Jnr football over the past couple of years and if he was to buy anyone it would be Sanders.

Haha yes the Joey mark of approval. Who could forget Josh McCrone should play Origin remark
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Colk wrote: April 6, 2024, 10:24 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 6, 2024, 7:52 pm

Haha yes the Joey mark of approval. Who could forget Josh McCrone should play Origin remark
I could be wrong but I have a recollection he said the same about Joe Picker.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Andrew Johns is entitled to his opinion.

He’s a dill, along with his dill mate.

I’m expecting some good news ref The Colonel any day now.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

We’d need the pokie money for the alastoplast and his own personal on field trainer though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Last question in the Eels post match interview with Brad Arthur was will you look at selecting a ball playing half, say, Ethan Sanders to free up Dylan Brown?

Arthur shut it down immediately replying something similar to;

No. Brown was good tonight. Everyone else just did not do their jobs.

He seemed a bit pissed he was asked the question.

I expect an announcement soon.

nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Whether Sanders comes to us or not, he's not staying at Parra, that is clear.

He's being petulantly blocked
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

All he has to do is what Fogarty is doing now. If he can do more, that's a bonus

I'm getting more confident in Strange, and Stewart will round out our attack nicely I feel. So we won't need him to come in and re-invent the wheel

I mean it's easy to say that after a nice attacking win, but, there are signs too in NSW Cup etc that we have some good attacking nous in the next batch of youngsters
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
Egan, DWZ, CNK, Jackson Ford, even Mitch Barnett, have all been better players since the coaching of Andrew Webster. people were calling Egan a plodder 3 years ago and were not complimentary about Ford.

People discussed and dismissed Shaun Johnson in 2021 when we were looking for a half back. He's played his best football since Webster's coaching.

We couldn't even beat them with Egan, Dylan Walker, Niukore and CNK out and their FB suffering a HIA.
If people were calling Egan a plodder three years ago it actually says a lot more about their ability to judge a player, lol.

That aside Webster is clearly a fantastic coach.

One of the signs of good coaching is getting your players to play consistently well - not have a chasm between their best and their worst. That's been a major part of the Warriors success, you generally know what to expect of them every week these days.

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Like a speed bump Lockyer.

Coming is as the second man as someone’s already hit schiffa a small man and made him stumble. Still gets trampled.

And qlders still try and argue he was a better rugby league player then John’s.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 8, 2024, 6:07 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:

If people were calling Egan a plodder three years ago it actually says a lot more about their ability to judge a player, lol.

That aside Webster is clearly a fantastic coach.

One of the signs of good coaching is getting your players to play consistently well - not have a chasm between their best and their worst. That's been a major part of the Warriors success, you generally know what to expect of them every week these days.
Bit harsh. Egan was a plodder 3 years ago. Poor service and decision making were constant issues. He's developed his game the past couple of seasons and become an excellent NRL dummy half. He's a late bloomer and good on him for getting to that next level when manu players start taper off.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.