Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by denissnowy »

bayraider wrote: January 22, 2024, 12:15 pm I think Parramatta are pissed he has signed with us (not official) and have basically said to him we are not releasing you this year, next year you can go. Don't understand the reason though.

They are just being knobs for the sake of it.
I don't think that's the case at all. Based on Brad Arthur's comments they are continuing to develop him. I'd agree with you if they'd banished him to the junior teams, but that is not the case.

To me they are just ensuring that they have sufficient key position coverage for the season ahead and are continuing to develop him in case he needs to play 1st grade for them this year. Sounds like pretty good management to me.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They're entitled to keep him, he's contracted there for this year and if they think they need him, they should keep him
If they do and he's playing NSW Cup, then that sucks for us, but at least he's still developing

Im still of the mindset that once this is official and a swap can be made, it'll happen, but if not as long as they're not keeping him at lower grades out of spite, then its OK
magoo
Brett Mullins

Post by magoo »

I think they will want Mooney for a swap. IIRC we signed him from Parra
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’d sooner wait than give them mooney
Unless it’s already known he won’t be sticking around, which given his limited opportunities, I wouldn’t blame him if that’s the case
magoo
Brett Mullins

Post by magoo »

Mooney is unsigned beyond this year I believe, makes me a little suspicious
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

denissnowy wrote:
bayraider wrote: January 22, 2024, 12:15 pm I think Parramatta are pissed he has signed with us (not official) and have basically said to him we are not releasing you this year, next year you can go. Don't understand the reason though.

They are just being knobs for the sake of it.
I don't think that's the case at all. Based on Brad Arthur's comments they are continuing to develop him. I'd agree with you if they'd banished him to the junior teams, but that is not the case.

To me they are just ensuring that they have sufficient key position coverage for the season ahead and are continuing to develop him in case he needs to play 1st grade for them this year. Sounds like pretty good management to me.
Same with Raiders and Woolford. He’s contracted this year and in plans for this year, so they didn’t agree to release to the dragons.

Why Woolford appears to be 4th in the hooker pecking order I’ll never know.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

The in-demand Eels halfback … who can’t sign a contract

Ethan Sanders is playing for his future, all while being unable to do anything to secure it. Canberra, short on halves depth, have been trying to secure his services as soon as possible.

“A lot of that was sort of built up in the media, but I’m happy to stay at Parra this year,” Sanders said. “I’m happy behind the boys, happy to learn from them and keep my head down. To be honest, I’m not really worried about my future anyway. I’m happy to be at Parramatta this year.”

Read more: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/the ... 5f6bk.html

Young gun Ethan Sanders comments on his future: https://www.zerotackle.com/young-gun-et ... re-206137/
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Something worrying in some of the articles floating around, that the Panthers in the past have been interested in recruiting his services. With the Luai development - that could be a major stumbling block. Who the Panthers got coming through?

Source: https://www.zerotackle.com/young-gun-et ... re-206137/
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Jack Cole and Brad Schneider are the current back ups. I think a more panthers target would be signing Jonah Pezet. Melbourne aren't moving on from Munster/Hughes any time soon.
Last edited by zim on February 20, 2024, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Sanders sounds like he doesn't see himself in Parra past this year, but Furner doesn't sound super confident. Hopefully he was just been diplomatic.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The panthers won’t pay what we are willing to pay and nor should they.
They’ve got a proven track record in developing elite spine players and an infrastructure that can sustain a young developing player

The panthers have known for a while now that Laui was likely the odd man out. Jack Cole is very highly touted and has been set up to be the next long term partner for Cleary

We got another 8 weeks of this to get through fellas. The drivers that put him on our radar and had this settled in our favour haven’t change. Let’s try not to parse every syllable uttered about this situation and work ourselves up into needless panic. Hold the line.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The Panthers also have an 18year old Jett Cleary coming through that plays in the halves.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Green Machine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

He already follows the Raiders on Insta. He’s coming.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders sign star young Eels half Ethan Sanders

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2023, 8:37 pm Canberra Raiders sign young star half Ethan Sanders to two year deal

Parramatta playmaker Ethan Sanders has signed a two-year deal with Canberra from 2025.

The Eels were among half a dozen clubs keen to secure Sanders, who was the player of the match in the club’s SG Ball grand final and also starred in the Blues’ under-19s win. While Sanders is contracted to the Eels for 2024, they may opt to release him rather than develop him for a rival. The Raiders would have the salary cap space to take him next year should that be the case.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-mo ... 5dpaw.html
This from July 2023.

Are we just waiting till round 6 to announce it ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

-PJ- wrote: February 20, 2024, 6:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2023, 8:37 pm Canberra Raiders sign young star half Ethan Sanders to two year deal

Parramatta playmaker Ethan Sanders has signed a two-year deal with Canberra from 2025.

The Eels were among half a dozen clubs keen to secure Sanders, who was the player of the match in the club’s SG Ball grand final and also starred in the Blues’ under-19s win. While Sanders is contracted to the Eels for 2024, they may opt to release him rather than develop him for a rival. The Raiders would have the salary cap space to take him next year should that be the case.

This from July 2023.

They couldn't sign him as he wasn't off contract. The article jumped the gun, but I am sure some sort of unofficial deal has happened.

Assuming he gets picked every week in NSW cup they can announce it after round 5 since its rd 6 or 5 cup games.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Botman wrote: February 20, 2024, 5:53 pm The panthers won’t pay what we are willing to pay and nor should they.
They’ve got a proven track record in developing elite spine players and an infrastructure that can sustain a young developing player

The panthers have known for a while now that Laui was likely the odd man out. Jack Cole is very highly touted and has been set up to be the next long term partner for Cleary

We got another 8 weeks of this to get through fellas. The drivers that put him on our radar and had this settled in our favour haven’t change. Let’s try not to parse every syllable uttered about this situation and work ourselves up into needless panic. Hold the line.
Ok sir. Motivating words - I'll go and hose myself down.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Very confident he is coming - his reference to the beat up is about wanting to leave this year. Didn’t read the zero tackle article but I assume that was in reference to when panthers, raiders and eels were all after him. Panthers have plenty of halves in the pipeline.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This from July 2023.

The deal was agreed to, the parties could not officially lodge it until Nov 1.
Prior to that deadline, the NRL changed the rules so that junior players couldnt be signed until Round 6 of the year they're off contract, the Raiders supported the rule change because as a development club themselves, they think it'll benefit them long term in retaining their own

Sanders might changed his mind between July 2023 and April 2024, young blokes changing their minds on their career direction isnt unheard of, but right now there is no indication that he has. And the drivers that produced the unofficial agreement between Sanders and us in July remain.
I might be setting myself up for a CRUSHING heart break but i dont see any reason to be worried.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Manufacturing content based solely on an NRL contract law.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

What was said today is the right thing for him to say.

Fight for a spot , keep learning , loves the club , current employer.

Round 6 we should have this settled for 25 , then it's trying to get it done for the rest of 24
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote:

This from July 2023.

The deal was agreed to, the parties could not officially lodge it until Nov 1.
Prior to that deadline, the NRL changed the rules so that junior players couldnt be signed until Round 6 of the year they're off contract, the Raiders supported the rule change because as a development club themselves, they think it'll benefit them long term in retaining their own

Sanders might changed his mind between July 2023 and April 2024, young blokes changing their minds on their career direction isnt unheard of, but right now there is no indication that he has. And the drivers that produced the unofficial agreement between Sanders and us in July remain.
I might be setting myself up for a CRUSHING heart break but i dont see any reason to be worried.
If he doesn’t sign after Round 6 after all this…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Fingers crossed he comes - it all makes sense so far. Otherwise, we will all be here to support each other while the raiders immediately activates Fogarty’s 2026 option
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If I’m a Parra supporter I’m taking the clear message that he isn’t there beyond this year. It wouldn’t shock me if he didn’t see out the year. Said he was happy to but didn’t see any words like “definitely” or “committed”.

Nothing I see there is at all concerning from a raiders perspective.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Well that's the kicker, i think there might be a delay even after round 6. Because once the contract is signed and ready to lodged, before it's lodged the two clubs might be more invested in trying to figure out a swap that works and that could take some weeks too... so that the deal can be announced in conjunction with the immediate swap

that's pure speculation but im not expecting a Monday April 15th announcement on this. Silly bold prediction based on nothing but guess work... he's being named by the Raiders for NSW Cup May 7th or before.
But i freely concede im perhaps on the extreme scale of optimism on this one. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I go on Facebook and see people say… I saw Sanders in the trial, there’s better options in the club at halfback now etc etc. This drives me to distraction! People watch ONE game and make their mind up about a junior player. At least take the time to watch more than ONE game before pontificating. I mean, I’m a pontificator, but I do try and withhold judgment until I’ve seen at least a few games!
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

I assume the silly 10 day cooling off period is also applicable to these junior contracts? So unless Para waives their rights we won’t hear anything offical for a couple of weeks later.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 20, 2024, 9:04 pm I go on Facebook and see people say… I saw Sanders in the trial, there’s better options in the club at halfback now etc etc. This drives me to distraction! People watch ONE game and make their mind up about a junior player. At least take the time to watch more than ONE game before pontificating. I mean, I’m a pontificator, but I do try and withhold judgment until I’ve seen at least a few games!
Amen. But you can’t take these people seriously. They are the same clowns who watched one game of Chevy in nsw cup and questioned his talent because the 17 year old wasn’t immediately a lights out contact defender

When dudes tell you they don’t know ball, believe them. That’s my philosophy.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: February 20, 2024, 10:07 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 20, 2024, 9:04 pm I go on Facebook and see people say… I saw Sanders in the trial, there’s better options in the club at halfback now etc etc. This drives me to distraction! People watch ONE game and make their mind up about a junior player. At least take the time to watch more than ONE game before pontificating. I mean, I’m a pontificator, but I do try and withhold judgment until I’ve seen at least a few games!
Amen. But you can’t take these people seriously. They are the same clowns who watched one game of Chevy in nsw cup and questioned his talent because the 17 year old wasn’t immediately a lights out contact defender

Ok I'll bite. If you're referring to someone else, play on. But if you're referring to my discussion on this page: viewtopic.php?t=35352&start=630 about him, I never "questioned his talent" or thought he should be a "lights out contact defender". I observed some very poor effort areas in his defensive game, and expressed that I hoped he would work on improving that aspect of his game moving into the future. Never said the kid couldn't play.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I wasn’t referring to it.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: February 20, 2024, 11:08 pm I wasn’t referring to it.
All good, I actually agree with your comment about people writing off Sanders, I'm talking about Botman's reference to criticism's of Chevy's defense as being people that "don't understand ball".

Highlighting shortcomings in a player's game that they could improve on (even young players) doesn't mean you "don't know ball". Even Chevy said in an article yesterday “Me and ‘Stick’ have good chats,” Stewart said. “He doesn’t sugar-coat anything so if you’re doing something wrong, he’ll tell you, if you’re doing something good, he’ll also tell you. He’s a pretty straightforward guy. You can do things wrong a million times and he’ll still give you that chance, he’ll give you that confidence.”

Now I'm loathe to use Ricky as an example to defend myself here, but I imagine some of these discussions may involve Chevy's defensive efforts/contact/positioning/etc.

People highlighting areas for improvement in a player's game is not the same thing as saying "he doesn't have talent" or thinking he should be a phenomenal defensive specialist.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I've always thought of you as a Raiders pontiff, GE :D If you are ever looking to have a sub-section of 'Through Green Eyes' it could well be titled 'Points from the Pontiff'.

As for Ethan Sanders (and Strange and Stewart and Martin and Clydesdale and Asomua etc) I am looking forward to watching the development of the footballer and the man. They are young men on a learning path. Of course they will have good days and better days, but not from Day 1 am I expecting anything other than young men learning and developing their skills. There is a fair way to go before they are day in day out NRL level footballers.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: February 20, 2024, 10:43 pm

Ok I'll bite. If you're referring to someone else, play on. But if you're referring to my discussion on this page: viewtopic.php?t=35352&start=630 about him, I never "questioned his talent" or thought he should be a "lights out contact defender". I observed some very poor effort areas in his defensive game, and expressed that I hoped he would work on improving that aspect of his game moving into the future. Never said the kid couldn't play.
The post wasn't a reference to any single person individually. There was a handful of posters who were extremely and imo stupidly critical of Stewart last year.
I called them idiots back then and i stand by it now.
I don't remember who those posters were specifically. But if you think that particular shoe fits, you're welcome to wear it. :)
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: February 21, 2024, 7:19 am
Finchy wrote: February 20, 2024, 10:43 pm

The post wasn't a reference to any single person individually. There was a handful of posters who were extremely and imo stupidly critical of Stewart last year.
I called them idiots back then and i stand by it now.
I don't remember who those posters were specifically. But if you think that particular shoe fits, you're welcome to wear it. :)
Early favourite for “telling on yourself” of the year here. Nerves were hit.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Oooof, pretty shocking scenes from Finchy here... only a few weeks to season kickoff too!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Maybe Finchy is taking a bullet for a colleague in this one.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.