Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by Raider Azz »

i think it's pretty obvious at this point that the eels picked sanders in their top 30 this year as a last ditch effort to keep him and when it became obvious to them that he is gone they've chucked the toys out of the pram and are now refusing to pick him for first grade.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

As julian mentioned earlier, contract talks aside, he's not the right choice for firsts anyway. If this was 2025 it'd be a different story but Sanders is not ready for first grade and Asi is their best choice.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider Azz wrote:i think it's pretty obvious at this point that the eels picked sanders in their top 30 this year as a last ditch effort to keep him and when it became obvious to them that he is gone they've chucked the toys out of the pram and are now refusing to pick him for first grade.
That's my take too. Can't blame Parra for trying, but when your starting halves are Moses and Brown they were no chance of retaining him.

Interestingly, Moses is only a year younger than Fogarty and both halfbacks are signed until the end of 2026, but Sanders obviously sees more of a pathway (and dollars) here.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 11, 2024, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Raider Azz wrote: April 11, 2024, 12:02 pm i think it's pretty obvious at this point that the eels picked sanders in their top 30 this year as a last ditch effort to keep him and when it became obvious to them that he is gone they've chucked the toys out of the pram and are now refusing to pick him for first grade.
I think all of the calls (e.g. from Andrew Johns) for Parra to play Sanders in first grade and criticism of them for not doing so is well over the top. Sanders hadn't even played NSW Cup until 1 month ago so I don't know why so many people are criticising Parra for not playing an 18yo rookie with no first grade experience and barely any reserve grade experience. He's yet to actually win a game in reserves, let alone banging down the door ala Trey Mooney from what I've gathered (I haven't watched a game). He wouldn't have made any difference to their crap start to the year IMO.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Except they picked Blaize, who is the same age and had even less NSW cup games. He hasn’t even played in the halves.

Now they pick Asi, who has no kicking game to speak of and has been pretty meh in his first grade games. He has been worse in NSW cup in the games I’ve watched this year as well.

Sanders is a natural half and a much better fit with Brown who has struggled in an organising role.

Asi is probably less risky but picking Sanders would be half as dumb as going into a season with no genuine back up half apart from a 19 year old bloke who is leaving. Same sort of issue we saw at the Raiders with fullback last year, except Sanders is way ahead of where Stewart was at this stage.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Based on everything that is being reported you can only assume that once he signs with us next week his management will be seeking an immediate release.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raider Azz wrote: April 11, 2024, 12:02 pm i think it's pretty obvious at this point that the eels picked sanders in their top 30 this year as a last ditch effort to keep him and when it became obvious to them that he is gone they've chucked the toys out of the pram and are now refusing to pick him for first grade.
Players don't get picked in the top 30. They make the list based on what they are paid. They may have upgraded the last year of his deal but that wouldn't make sense unless there was an extension involved.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Green Blogger wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:39 pm Based on everything that is being reported you can only assume that once he signs with us next week his management will be seeking an immediate release.
Yep.

Coming into the year initially I thought just let him bide his time at the Eels, it would be good experience for him to learn more behind Moses.

But now seeing how much of a basket case the club is and how poor their lower grades are, you drop Sanders into our NSW Cup team and I reckon it will do wonders for his development.

Sanders for Guler anyone...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

IBG wrote: April 11, 2024, 5:09 pm
Green Blogger wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:39 pm Based on everything that is being reported you can only assume that once he signs with us next week his management will be seeking an immediate release.
Yep.

Coming into the year initially I thought just let him bide his time at the Eels, it would be good experience for him to learn more behind Moses.

But now seeing how much of a basket case the club is and how poor their lower grades are, you drop Sanders into our NSW Cup team and I reckon it will do wonders for his development.

The old chicken and kebab deal you think?
GreenFeva
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by GreenFeva »

Billy Walker wrote:
IBG wrote: April 11, 2024, 5:09 pm
Yep.

The old chicken and kebab deal you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

VIDEO: Barrett on Sanders: 10 years, not two weeks: Eels assistant coach Trent Barrett outlines the decision for rookie halfback Ethan Sanders' journey to first grade: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/04/12/10- ... t-2-weeks/
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Eels rookie Ethan Sanders prepares to ask for release

Boom half Ethan Sanders could request a release from the Eels in the coming days as the 19-year-old headlines a list of the game’s hottest talents now free to talk with rival clubs. The likes of Sanders have had to bide their time until the completion of Round 6 although it is expected that the Parramatta’s SG Ball player of the year from last season will link up with the Raiders from next season.

That could even be fast-tracked with suggestions Sanders may ask for a release next week to join Canberra before the June 30 deadline having been overlooked multiple times to make his first grade debut in recent weeks.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 2331b96bff

Why it's a massive week in the Raiders' future

It's set to be a big start to the week for the Canberra Raiders' future. They're not only expected to have an upgrade and extension finalised for young gun Ethan Strange - perhaps as early as Monday - but they're also able to talk to and sign young halfback Ethan Sanders as well. The 19-year-old is reportedly a chance to ask for an immediate release from Parramatta.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Blind speculation but I’ve felt all along he’ll be here this year once the paper work is officially lodged and I still believe it

No sauce just a gut feel that once the song is officially sung … all parties will be suitably motivated to work out a deal
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The drums have been beating long and loud on this one. Most league journos have talked lime it's been a done deal for 6 months. Will be stunned if it's not officially announced this week.

I'm still not sure how it could have all happened since we're not allowed to negotiate anything till now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Technically he could negotiate from last week, so theres been time. Also it was agreed a year ago so shouldn’t take a long time if nothings changed.

I watched his game on the weekend again. It was probably his best yet and he really took control of both sides of the ruck to engineer their comeback. He will just need to work on his line speed and defensive decision making, which will come with time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

So… today’s the day, right?
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Does the 10 day cooling off period apply here too
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Yep, unless the Eels waive it.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

NoMan wrote: April 15, 2024, 8:45 am Yep, unless the Eels waive it.
Thanks

If its R6 then we have 10 day wait until an announcement, R5 a few days more. Unless waived.
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

I don't think the 10 day cooling off rule
Applies here.
They have had 6 rounds to resign him anyway (Parramatta)
Why would they need an extra 10 days to changehis mind??
If so Parramatta should waive the 10 days.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

bayraider wrote: April 15, 2024, 9:18 am I don't think the 10 day cooling off rule
Applies here.
technically we can't offer him a contract before R6 , so anything before that doesn't count. Same as the November 1 rule for NRL players
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bayraider wrote: April 15, 2024, 9:18 am I don't think the 10 day cooling off rule
Applies here.
I think it will. It's not really a "cooling off" period. It is a provision to protect current clubs. It is a notification period to current clubs. Which gives them a window to make a counter offer (they can waive the 10 day period in writing if they wish). Given the Eels want to keep Sanders, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to counter.
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Well that sucks
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

NoMan wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:22 pm Except they picked Blaize, who is the same age and had even less NSW cup games. He hasn’t even played in the halves.

Now they pick Asi, who has no kicking game to speak of and has been pretty meh in his first grade games. He has been worse in NSW cup in the games I’ve watched this year as well.

Sanders is a natural half and a much better fit with Brown who has struggled in an organising role.

Asi is probably less risky but picking Sanders would be half as dumb as going into a season with no genuine back up half apart from a 19 year old bloke who is leaving. Same sort of issue we saw at the Raiders with fullback last year, except Sanders is way ahead of where Stewart was at this stage.
They picked Asi. They rolled the Cowboys. Asi took plenty of pressure off Brown including doing about half the kicking which is a strong point of his game not the opposite.

I’m still gobsmacked they didn’t pick him 3 weeks ago.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: April 15, 2024, 4:56 am The drums have been beating long and loud on this one. Most league journos have talked lime it's been a done deal for 6 months. Will be stunned if it's not officially announced this week.

I'm still not sure how it could have all happened since we're not allowed to negotiate anything till now.
From what I've followed the round 6 rule came in later. We had him ready to go before that.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: April 15, 2024, 10:19 am
NoMan wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:22 pm Except they picked Blaize, who is the same age and had even less NSW cup games. He hasn’t even played in the halves.

They picked Asi. They rolled the Cowboys. Asi took plenty of pressure off Brown including doing about half the kicking which is a strong point of his game not the opposite.

I’m still gobsmacked they didn’t pick him 3 weeks ago.
Me too. I think BA will be asking himself the same question.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They should keep Asi in the halves but Morgan Harper is one of the worst first graders going around
Tulagi should play centre in his spot
Kid is young but very talented which makes him 2/2 over Harper
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: April 15, 2024, 10:34 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 15, 2024, 4:56 am The drums have been beating long and loud on this one. Most league journos have talked lime it's been a done deal for 6 months. Will be stunned if it's not officially announced this week.

From what I've followed the round 6 rule came in later. We had him ready to go before that.
The original media report that the Raiders had signed him came out well before 30 November last year. And it seems the parties weren’t supposed to be negotiating then, either. I’m wondering if it was somehow unclear that the 30 November rule applied to Sanders. In any case, it seems there has at least been some parameters informally agreed way back in July… after other clubs had been talking to him from at least early June.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

We are naughty boys.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: April 15, 2024, 7:53 am So… today’s the day, right?
That the lord has made?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: April 15, 2024, 11:59 am
The Nickman wrote: April 15, 2024, 7:53 am So… today’s the day, right?
That the lord has made?
The day that Ethan Strangers signs up to be a Raider for life.

Can't wait to see him take the field against the Broncos.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Is he any relation to balki bartokomous?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: April 15, 2024, 12:34 pm Is he any relation to balki bartokomous?
It's his city cousin, I believe.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Eels teen makes big contract statement

A lot has been made of Brad Arthur’s decision not to give Ethan Sanders a shot at filling Mitchell Moses’ shoes and the up-and-coming halfback’s performance on the weekend will only fuel that even more.

19-year-old Sanders set up three tries — one with a cross-field kick and two via short balls to set up both centres. He also got two linebreak assists, ran for 49 metres and made 13 tackles with zero misses against an experienced Bears outfit.

That performance couldn’t have come at a better time given the clause in Sanders’ contract. As part of a revamped contract policy, off-contract players who are yet to play five senior games (NRL or NSW Cup/Queensland Cup), can’t talk to rivals until the end of Round 6. The Raiders’ have been interested in Sanders and are now free to negotiate with him.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1f84da5251
Green Machine
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

Eels just announced Lomax. Surely we’re good now.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066