All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by Raider Azz »

Rick wrote: April 9, 2024, 7:26 pm
bayraider wrote:By what they said on 360
I think we can officially announce he has signed from Monday???
Thank **** if that's true!!!
Only took an extra 9 months than it was supposed too take.
What was said?

Nothing other than what the poster above said. The rest of the time was spent talking about how bad the eels are and head scratching why they haven't named sanders in first grade.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 9, 2024, 7:20 pm I'd like us to hold onto Adam Cook when Sanders signs. He is an outstanding player at NSW cup level. Could easily slot in at fullback or five-eighth. It would be wise to keep a player like him around to help him develop our young talent.
I have actually thought Cook was probably the player that has been most impressive in the cup side this year. I can’t imagine he is above Weekes in the pecking order but I think he should be.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

kona_dream wrote: April 9, 2024, 8:06 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 9, 2024, 7:20 pm I'd like us to hold onto Adam Cook when Sanders signs. He is an outstanding player at NSW cup level. Could easily slot in at fullback or five-eighth. It would be wise to keep a player like him around to help him develop our young talent.
I think if fog were to go down, cook would get the call up
I have actually thought Cook was probably the player that has been most impressive in the cup side this year. I can’t imagine he is above Weekes in the pecking order but I think he should be.
Dont delete this GE
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

What happens with a player like Cook if we did sign Sanders?

If he wanted to play in the halves would he have to go back to Canberra Cup?

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider Azz wrote:
Rick wrote: April 9, 2024, 7:26 pm
bayraider wrote:By what they said on 360
I think we can officially announce he has signed from Monday???
Thank **** if that's true!!!
Only took an extra 9 months than it was supposed too take.
What was said?

Nothing other than what the poster above said. The rest of the time was spent talking about how bad the eels are and head scratching why they haven't named sanders in first grade.
They certainly didn't say anything about our QLD Origin and NZ test reps being out for 6-8 weeks.

If your name isn't Latrell or Wayne it's hard to get a run on that show.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote: April 9, 2024, 8:40 pm What happens with a player like Cook if we did sign Sanders?

I like Cook
He’s a good nsw cup player, and he’s got a really good feel for attacking football

Cook should not be a consideration for what we do with sanders
But to answer the question - assuming it’s next year. Sanders and Cook in the halves, Weekes at fullback
At least to begin
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Rick wrote: April 9, 2024, 8:40 pm What happens with a player like Cook if we did sign Sanders?

Move Weekes to fullback with Chevy in First Grade - if Sanders comes early which is unlikely.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: April 9, 2024, 10:21 pm

I like Cook
He’s a good nsw cup player, and he’s got a really good feel for attacking football

Cook should not be a consideration for what we do with sanders
But to answer the question - assuming it’s next year. Sanders and Cook in the halves, Weekes at fullback
At least to begin
There was a comment on 360 that Sanders is a halfback, and no good at any other position, ie he couldn't be a bench utility. This was said in the Parra context. However, it does beg the question of can Cook play 5/8 if we get Sanders and he is obviously placed straight into NSW Cup? I don't know much about Cook but from the miniscule amount I've seen he also looks like an out-and-out halfback.

I suppose more importantly, is Cook a dominant right-side half? That would basically solve the problem...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cook had played plenty of fullback in his time
He’s the guy you move to suit Sanders
Hell, you can chuck him back at fullback again and play Weekes at RH/ Sanders LH

Lot of ways to spin it. But Sanders due to his primary kicking is pretty ironed on as a LH imo
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:Cook had played plenty of fullback in his time
He’s the guy you move to suit Sanders
Hell, you can chuck him back at fullback again and play Weekes at RH/ Sanders LH

Lot of ways to spin it. But Sanders due to his primary kicking is pretty ironed on as a LH imo
Yep, if Chevy is playing First Grade that would be my setup. Cook is a very good fullback.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raidernation wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:58 pm
PNGRaider37 wrote: April 9, 2024, 9:46 am I think the "GOAT debate" (Johns, JT, Locky, Stuart,Smith, etc.) Need its own thread...
Cronk was better than JT. JTs career was over rated. Great player yes but not deserving to be on this list.
This is crazy talk.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I reckon all this media talk has to be drummed up by Sanders’ management. I think Parramatta made a mistake picking Talagi but I’d have picked Asi over Sanders as well. I hope we sign him. But he definitely looks like he needs a season or 2 of Cup before he’s a first grader. Most halfbacks do.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I think Sanders plays a role like Chevy is doing this year.

Jamal should and will be our halfback next season. If there is an injury bring in Sanders. His time to start will be targeted at 2026 I believe.

Halfbacks need more repetition at the fundamentals of their role and communicating effectively with senior men. You can see that even with Jamal. He's getting better each week for me. Certainly since he has joined us he has improved immensely.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sanders is a straight up replacement for Fogarty. Almost the exact same style of halfback, just 10 years younger and with a genuine development pathway into First Grade.

The Titans wouldn't know their **** from their face when it comes to player development. Fogarty was a victim of that dysfunction.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 10, 2024, 7:56 am Sanders is a straight up replacement for Fogarty. Almost the exact same style of halfback, just 10 years younger and with a genuine development pathway into First Grade.

The Titans wouldn't know their **** from their face when it comes to player development. Fogarty was a victim of that dysfunction.
Yeah.. the Titans/Fog debacle.

Whoever made that call needs a slap up the side of the head.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:
Raidernation wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:58 pm
PNGRaider37 wrote: April 9, 2024, 9:46 am I think the "GOAT debate" (Johns, JT, Locky, Stuart,Smith, etc.) Need its own thread...
Cronk was better than JT. JTs career was over rated. Great player yes but not deserving to be on this list.
This is crazy talk.
Yeah I think JT is better in just about every sense or facet. More creative, quicker, better defender, better leader. Cronk was surrounded by superstars his entire career. Left a star studded Storm to go to another stacked team. JT took a gamble and turned the Cowboys from pathetic to a contender.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

FROG wrote: April 9, 2024, 7:10 am
julian87 wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:22 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 8, 2024, 8:41 am
papabear wrote: April 8, 2024, 7:51 am Like a speed bump Lockyer.

Coming is as the second man as someone’s already hit schiffa a small man and made him stumble. Still gets trampled.

And qlders still try and argue he was a better rugby league player then John’s.
You'll never see me try and argue that Lockyer was better than Johns, but I'm also not stupid enough to claim Johns is the best player I've ever seen when he's not even the best halfback OR in the top 3 players I've seen play the game in 35 years.
Who on earth are the 3 players better than Johns in the last 35 years?

Slater, Smith and Thurston?
I could be biased, but I honestly consider Stuart to be the best half to play the game. 30 to 35 years ago he was at the peak of his powers.

As much as I hate cam smith you cannot deny what he achieved.

I also personally have Thurston ahead of John's. Played a massive part of that run for qld
Yeah, these are the three I immediately have off the top of my head who are better than Johns.

Ricky Stuart is the best halfback I've seen play the game and Smith is probably the best player, but Langer, Daley, Fittler, Lockyer, Slater, Thurston and even Cooper Cronk all belong in the same conversation as Andrew Johns.

To suggest he's the best of them all is just silliness, and it's getting sillier as time advances from his retirement.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: April 10, 2024, 9:47 am

Coming is as the second man as someone’s already hit schiffa a small man and made him stumble. Still gets trampled.

You'll never see me try and argue that Lockyer was better than Johns, but I'm also not stupid enough to claim Johns is the best player I've ever seen when he's not even the best halfback OR in the top 3 players I've seen play the game in 35 years.

I could be biased, but I honestly consider Stuart to be the best half to play the game. 30 to 35 years ago he was at the peak of his powers.

I also personally have Thurston ahead of John's. Played a massive part of that run for qld
Yeah, these are the three I immediately have off the top of my head who are better than Johns.

Ricky Stuart is the best halfback I've seen play the game and Smith is probably the best player, but Langer, Daley, Fittler, Lockyer, Slater, Thurston and even Cooper Cronk all belong in the same conversation as Andrew Johns.

To suggest he's the best of them all is just silliness, and it's getting sillier as time advances from his retirement.
Johns just looked really cool playing rugby league. His style points are the sole thing that elevated him in the media over his contemporaries IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It very much looks like the decision by the Eels to overlook Sanders has confirmed Sanders will be leaving… or reflects the fact the Eels know he’s leaving.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And if that is the reason for their decisions I don’t think that’s unreasonable or spiteful
It’s just the nature of the situation
Why would they debut a guy and prioritise the development of a player leaving over a player in it for the long haul?
I wouldn’t want us playing Ethan Strange in FG football right now (or Mooney) if we knew they were heading elsewhere in 2025 or sooner

He’s playing cup, that’s fine for now. Hopefully he can come here early and play cup for us instead, now seeing how bad the Eels team is, particularly the forwards, I now think his development would benefit from playing in our side.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:02 pm This guy hasn't impressed me much, I watched the nsw cup game on the weekend and he is a long way off first grade. Has a few good traits for sure.. we should know by this time next week if he's gonna sign shouldn't we ?
Just on this
The first few games of cup by Strange weren’t particularly impressive or indicative of his talent
Same with Chevy Stewart

Less than 12 months later they’re both playing NRL football this week.
Sanders playing NRL footy in 2025 will very much be on the cards if injury/suspension provide an opportunity
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah some cup sides are also so out of whack because of first grade or players playing up a grade to develop you have to watch them play like it's a trial. Looking at individual skills and effort rather than the overall sides performance.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

zim wrote: April 10, 2024, 11:46 am Yeah some cup sides are also so out of whack because of first grade or players playing up a grade to develop you have to watch them play like it's a trial. Looking at individual skills and effort rather than the overall sides performance.
That is an excellent point.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

zim wrote: April 10, 2024, 11:46 am Yeah some cup sides are also so out of whack because of first grade or players playing up a grade to develop you have to watch them play like it's a trial. Looking at individual skills and effort rather than the overall sides performance.
Good post. I agree. Their lineups literally change weekly and there is minimal continuity
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: April 10, 2024, 10:25 am And if that is the reason for their decisions I don’t think that’s unreasonable or spiteful
It’s just the nature of the situation
Why would they debut a guy and prioritise the development of a player leaving over a player in it for the long haul?
I wouldn’t want us playing Ethan Strange in FG football right now (or Mooney) if we knew they were heading elsewhere in 2025 or sooner

He’s playing cup, that’s fine for now. Hopefully he can come here early and play cup for us instead, now seeing how bad the Eels team is, particularly the forwards, I now think his development would benefit from playing in our side.
That would be the case for a team performing well. Eels are not in such a comfortable position. They need to be picking their best team to win now. Particularly with a coach under pressure to deliver results. If Sanders is their best option while Moses is out then he should get the job.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t think a 19 year old halfback with 4 games of senior football is the best option very often. Virtually no young halfbacks have had any immediate success in a very long time.

They should have picked Asi 2 weeks ago.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Johns was an absolute gun. However he played second fiddle to Kimorley in a number of representative teams. For thus reason alone it was ridiculous that he was created an immortal so soon. There was an immense amount of hysteria and recency bias in the decision after his 2005 origin performance.

If he was a Queensland player, I do wonder if this would have happened.

Johns should be an immortal but not ahead of the others you mentioned.

Smith, hands down the best I have ever seen. Immense control over every game he played, every team he was a part of. A master of rugby league.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 10, 2024, 7:52 pm

Johns was an absolute gun. However he played second fiddle to Kimorley in a number of representative teams. For thus reason alone it was ridiculous that he was created an immortal so soon. There was an immense amount of hysteria and recency bias in the decision after his 2005 origin performance.

Smith, hands down the best I have ever seen. Immense control over every game he played, every team he was a part of. A master of rugby league.
"However he played second fiddle to Kimorley in a number of representative teams. For thus reason alone it was ridiculous that he was created an immortal so soon."

In fairness, it was ridiculous Kimmorley was picked ahead of Johns in those representative teams.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I can’t argue against Smith. He’s probably the best rugby league player I’ve ever seen.

But comments like Johns not being top 3 of the last 30 years is just crazy talk. I won’t accept that’s it’s anything other than parochialism and him being the ultimate divisive character that’s landed a post footy golden egg.

He was the ultimate rugby league halfback. Literally had it all. Won 2 premierships in teams that had little business in doing so, especially in retrospect………. Sean Rudder won a premiership at five-eighth.

And most of the Origin debates in terms of hooker are pretty much incorrect and down to supporters not being able to conceive what’s happening because of the numbers players wear. The old trick of Glen Stewart being a lock despite never playing there.
Last edited by julian87 on April 10, 2024, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Wiki Special wrote: April 10, 2024, 8:13 pm

"However he played second fiddle to Kimorley in a number of representative teams. For thus reason alone it was ridiculous that he was created an immortal so soon."

In fairness, it was ridiculous Kimmorley was picked ahead of Johns in those representative teams.
As it happened at NSW and Australia it would indicate more than 1 or 2 people thought it was a good decision. People who know a bit about rugby league aka anyone at that level of the game making those type of calls, more than once demonstrates there is something to it.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 10, 2024, 8:17 pm
Wiki Special wrote: April 10, 2024, 8:13 pm

As it happened at NSW and Australia it would indicate more than 1 or 2 people thought it was a good decision. People who know a bit about rugby league aka anyone at that level of the game making those type of calls, more than once demonstrates there is something to it.
Apart from Chris Anderson, which Australian or Blues Coach picked Kimmorley over Johns when both were fit?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Eels really don’t seem to know what they’re doing…

“The Eels indicated to Sanders a fortnight ago they intended to try and strike a deal to keep him at Parramatta prior to round six.

Yet no offer has been tabled. Despite some late interest from the Gold Coast Sanders is expected to sign with the Raiders next week.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 18d2be1d28
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

This Round 6 rule is a real winner isn't it?

Bit of a circus really.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: April 10, 2024, 8:16 pm I can’t argue against Smith. He’s probably the best rugby league player I’ve ever seen.

But comments like Johns not being top 3 of the last 30 years is just crazy talk. I won’t accept that’s it’s anything other than parochialism and him being the ultimate divisive character that’s landed a post footy golden egg.

He was the ultimate rugby league halfback. Literally had it all. Won 2 premierships in teams that had little business in doing so, especially in retrospect………. Sean Rudder won a premiership at five-eighth.

And most of the Origin debates in terms of hooker are pretty much incorrect and down to supporters not being able to conceive what’s happening because of the numbers players wear. The old trick of Glen Stewart being a lock despite never playing there.
How old were you in 94, Jules?
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

The GOAT debate is always very interesting. Even in a sport where individual performance (like tennis, golf, darts or even cricket) can be objectively measured through statistics and outcomes, there is often argument around people's opinions (mostly when comparing players of different generations).

The discussion is far more subjective when it comes to individual performance in team sports. I think a pre-determined set of criteria should be used to measure performance. Someone mentioned above that Johns had greater claim to GOAT status because he won two premierships in poor quality teams. Who determines that? Does that mean Lockyer should be similarly considered because he won in 2006 with Shane Perry as his halfback, or Benji Marshall or Craig Gower should be considered in their respective premiership wins? Where does the balance tip between a player's influence on the team, or the team's influence on the player?

Alternatively to the above three players, what about Stuart in 1993 and 1991? We were favourites for each year, however his broken leg and the needle in his backside affected our results. He was fit in 1990 and 1994 and we won. Should he be ranked above Johns? Langer was pretty much his equal during the same time period; his name should be in the mix too. What number of premierships should a player win? What about non-premiership winners? How many games should they have played to be considered? These things should be set out so that all players are judged consistently.

I have no idea how Rugby League Week went about deciding on their Immortal players, or how the NRL does it now. I suspect that it was/is all pretty loose (if the Dally M processes are anything to go by).

It would be interesting for someone here to establish a set of criteria / minimum standards so that the discussion becomes more than just a subjective eye test.