Don Furner

2023 Rd 21 v Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

2023 Rd 21 v Warriors: Game Day

Canberra Raiders v New Zealand Warriors
Friday 21 July, 6:00pm (8:00pm local)
Mt Smart Stadium
Gates open: 3:15pm (5:15pm local)
NSW Cup: Canberra Raiders v New Zealand Warriors: 3:30pm (5:30pm local)
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502, Kayo
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Rain. Periods of rain, persistent in the morning with heavy falls and possible downpours, easing in the evening. Southeasterlies, strong at times, gusting 90 km/h in exposed places before dawn. Min 8 Max 15

In Round 21, the Raiders head to Auckland for the first time since 2019 - hoping for some revenge for spoiling the 300 game milestone for captain Jarrod Croker.

Last round: 2023 Round 19. Canberra Raiders 36 - St George Illawarra Dragons 26. It seems to happen very single week. The Canberra Raiders let the opposition back into the game. The Raiders led 24-6 at half time against the Dragons. But they went on to lose the second half 20-12. It's the seventh time in a row that the Raiders have "lost the second half". Coach Ricky Stuart made it clear after the match he was tired of that happening. Very tired.

More on Round 19: As I saw it

Team news: Josh Papalii (hamstring) returns at starting prop for the Raiders. Pasami Saulo (concussion) made a comeback last Sunday in NSW Cup, and has Ben added to the bench. Corey Horsbugh also returns from Origin duties. Ata Mariota drops to the interchange, while Matt Frawley, Peter Hola and Trey Mooney drop out of the top 17.

For the Warriors, Marata Niukore (suspension) and Bunty Afoa (concussion) return, with Mitch Barnett and Tom Ale dropping to the bench. Josh Curran and Bayley Sironen are out.

Late changes: The Raiders made no changes to their top 17 on Thursday evening. Matt Frawley and Nick Cotric have been retained on the extended bench. The Warriors brought Bayley Sironen and Josh Curran in on the bench. Tom Ale has been omitted, with Freddy Lussick dropped to the reserves list.

History: The Raiders have won 26 of 49 games played against the Warriors. The Green Machine has taken out five of the past 10 matches between the clubs - and two of the past five. 2023 has seen a resurgence in the form of the Warriors. But that's hardly a dominant recent record for Canberra - against a team that has only scraped into the finals once in the past decade.

In Round 3 of 2021, the Raiders led 25-6 at home at half time, before the Warriors staged a comeback to win by three points, 34-31. The NRL later admitted that a Warriors try in the 59th minute to Ben Murdoch-Masila should have been disallowed, due to a forward pass from Kodi Nikorima. The Raiders got some late season revenge, and kept their finals hopes alive, with a 28-16 win over the Warriors in Mackay.

In Round 8 of 2022, it was another controversial defeat for Canberra - with Matt Lodge milking a penalty which allowed the Warriors to force golden point. Given Corey Horsburgh's high contact on Lodge was not a genuinely reportable offence, the bunker should not have intervened. But they did. The last minute penalty goal saw the Warriors draw level, 20-20, before Shaun Johnson kicked the winning field goal in golden point time. The Green Machine followed up with a 26-14 win over the New Zealand outfit in Round 19 at Canberra Stadium - a much needed victory in a late season charge to the finals.

Just six weeks ago, the Warriors produced a big, 36-16, win in the 300th NRL match of Raiders captain Jarrod Croker. It was a very disappointing performance from Canberra, with five tries conceded in the second half.

Auckland has not been a happy hunting ground for the Raiders. They have won only eight from 20 games at Mt Smart Stadium - and eight from 21 in Auckland. They've won 10 from 23 in New Zealand.

2023 Round 15 - Warriors 36 defeated Raiders 14

2022 Round 19 - Raiders 26 defeated Warriors 14

2022 Round 8 - Warriors 21 defeated Raiders 20

2021 Round 24 - Raiders 28 defeated Warriors 16

2021 Round 3 - Warriors 34 defeated Raiders 31

Form: Raiders: WLWWW
Warriors: WWLWW

The Warriors are coming off a huge, 44-12 win over the Sharks - a team that has been in the top four for much of the past few months. They have lost just once in their past five games - a 28-6 defeat at the hands of the Rabbitohs in Auckland. They have other recent wins over the Raiders (36-14), Dragons (48-18) and Eels (46-10).

The Raiders have won 10 of their past 12 matches. But the two losses - to the Sea Eagles (42-14) and Warriors (36-14) - have been big ones.

Betting: The Warriors are $1.41 favourites, with the Raiders paying $2.93. The Raiders have 7.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders' odds have lengthened slightly over the week.

Stat attack: A battle between fourth and fifth. But the other statistics for these two teams would have any Raiders fan worried. Look at the points differential for the two teams, for a start.

The Raiders have spent much of the season among the bottom four teams for tries scored per game. They are presently running 13th in that department. They rely on their forwards creating second phase play (10 offloads per game, ranked fourth) and on dummy half running (10 per game, ranked sixth). They rank fifth for one pass hit ups, and last for general play passes. A lot of their tries are coming from kicks. Only the Bulldogs have made fewer line breaks per game than the Raiders. No team has made fewer tackle breaks per game than the Raiders - though their post contact metres are middle of the pack. On the plus side, Jamal Fogarty's kicking has become a real weapon.

The Warriors also rely on a power game in the forwards - but they have more than that in the arsenal. They like a one pass hit up (ranked third), but they throw the ball around more (ninth for general play passes). They rank third for line breaks per game (six, compared with four for the Raiders). In their past six games, they have scored 30 or more points five times, and 40 or more three times. They now rank sixth for most tries per game.

The Raiders' left edge defence was a real problem in their last outing. They better beware on Friday night. The Warriors score 45 per cent of their tries on their right edge - and only 25 per cent on the left. Both teams don't mind going down the middle. The Raiders score 36 per cent of their tries in the middle third, the Warriors 30 per cent.

If you thought all that was a bit scary, the Warriors' defence has been even better. They rank third for the fewest tries conceded per game (Raiders 13th). They are top four for fewest running metres conceded (Raiders sixth) and fewest line breaks conceded (Raiders ninth). Neither team miss a lot of tackles or make a lot of ineffective tackles. The trouble is, the Warriors are stopping the tries, the Raiders are not (due to kicks or simply not being in the position to make a tackle).

Warriors players to watch? Shaun Johnson, Shaun Johnson and Shaun Johnson. But don't forget five eighth Luke Metcalf, hooker Wayde Egan and fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. All the play makers. Johnson ranks third in the NRL for try assists and first for all kicks, attacking kicks and kick metres. Prop Addin Fonua-Blake and former Raider Nicoll-Klokstad are in the top four players for most run metres. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (15) is equal fifth for most tries.

Stats leaders for Canberra? Joe Tapine ranks fourth for most post contact metres (Fonua-Blake runs first), while Hudson Young is equal fifth for most offloads (30). Fullback Seb Kris ranks fourth for kick return metres.

2023 Season record: Raiders 11 and 6 (4th, -55)
Warriors 11 and 7 (5th, +110)

Attack: Raiders 22 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 13th on average tries scored
Warriors 24 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 6th on average tries scored

Defence: Raiders 25 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 13th for fewest average tries conceded
Warriors 18 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked 3rd for fewest average tries conceded.

Possession: Raiders 49 per cent, Warriors 50 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 78 per cent, Warriors 79 per cent

Running: Raiders 1595 running metres per match
Warriors 1681 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 29, Warriors 33 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Warriors 6 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Warriors 4 per match

Offloads: Raiders 10, Warriors 7 per match

Kicking: Raiders 596 kicking metres per match
Warriors 586 kicking metres per match

Missed tackles: Raiders 33, Warriors 32 per match

Ineffective tackles: Raiders 15, Warriors 14 per match

Tackle efficiency: Raiders 88 per cent, Warriors 88 per cent

Errors: Raiders 10, Warriors 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Warriors 6 per match

My tip: The Warriors are in seriously good form and deserved favourites in this match. I'd like to think the Raiders could get some revenge for the #Croker300 defeat. One positive thing is that the Raiders have a good away record (6-3), while the Warriors are 5 and 4 at home. But overall, the numbers don't look good. I'm sorry to say it, but I'm tipping the Warriors by 8+. I hope I'm seriously wrong.

Canberra Raiders

1. Sebastian Kris
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Pasami Saulo
17. Ata Mariota

18. Matt Frawley
19. Nick Cotric

Injury/Suspension
James Schiller, Quad (Round 22)
Xavier Savage, Hamstring ((Round 26)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Seizure (Indefinite)
Elijah Anderson, Patella tendon (Season)
Jordan Martin, ACL (Season)
Danny Levi, Jaw (Likely season)

New Zealand Warriors

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Rocco Berry
4. Adam Pompey
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Luke Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Bunty Afoa
11. Jackson Ford
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Mitchell Barnett
18. Bayley Sironen
20. Josh Curran

17. Freddy Lussick
22. Taine Tuaupiki

Injury/Suspension
Edward Kosi, Knee (Round 26)
Ali Leiataua, Hamstring (Indefinite)
Te Maire Martin, Leg (Indefinite)
Jazz Tevaga, Calf (Indefinite)
Valingi Kepu, Foot (Season)

Officials

Referee: Todd Smith
Touch judges: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Drew Oultram
Video referee: Matt Noyen

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLWarriorsRaiders

NRL teams: Click here
NRLW teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2023 Rd 21 v Warriors: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

Game day hey - rough time slot. But let’s do it!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!!💚💚💚
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I'm in town for this one. Poured down overnight. Still drizzling. It'll be wet this evening.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

In today’s edition of Raiders believe it or not, a win tonight could open up a 4-point buffer in the top 4, with only 6 rounds to play.

At that point, incredibly, and notwithstanding our noted issues as a team, you would have to actually give us a chance of finishing in the top 4.

I remain stunned at how this season continues to play out.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 21, 2023, 9:24 am I'm in town for this one. Poured down overnight. Still drizzling. It'll be wet this evening.
We will now expect updates in the NSW Cup thread!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day, yo Warriors, you going down Bro!
Go Raiders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2023, 12:04 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 21, 2023, 9:24 am I'm in town for this one. Poured down overnight. Still drizzling. It'll be wet this evening.
:lol:

Too bad it's the Friday slot. My mates up here have work till 5 :(
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 21, 2023, 12:36 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2023, 12:04 pm
:lol:

Too bad it's the Friday slot. My mates up here have work till 5 :(
Go early.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 21, 2023, 10:38 am In today’s edition of Raiders believe it or not, a win tonight could open up a 4-point buffer in the top 4, with only 6 rounds to play.

At that point, incredibly, and notwithstanding our noted issues as a team, you would have to actually give us a chance of finishing in the top 4.

I do not believe you. Finchy said we cannot make the top 4 with our F/A so that’s final.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Statistically we're no chance.

But it's like that every game.

It will surely come down to our left edge defence. If they play well, we're a chance, if they don't then it's further pressure for the coach to make a change.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Let's go Raiders let's play like we all know our team can play. Winners are grinners.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

They have found a way to bore the opposition to death and lull them into a sense of complacency. It makes for hilarious viewing, warriors by 20.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Look into my eyes.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 21, 2023, 1:04 pm Statistically we're no chance.

But it's like that every game.

It will surely come down to our left edge defence. If they play well, we're a chance, if they don't then it's further pressure for the coach to make a change.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
The left edge against the dragons did enough for the coach to make a change this game….
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He did, he dropped Frawley

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

I rate our chances better than the last time we played them. The occasion got the better of the team. I think we will be up for this one.

Would have preferred to see some changes. Let's see.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Is this game 6pm their time or 6pm our time?

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: July 21, 2023, 12:40 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: July 21, 2023, 10:38 am In today’s edition of Raiders believe it or not, a win tonight could open up a 4-point buffer in the top 4, with only 6 rounds to play.

I do not believe you. Finchy said we cannot make the top 4 with our F/A so that’s final.
False. I said I don't think we can, not "we cannot". Come back to me after round 27.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Nsw cup game just starting now on TV over here, rain looks to have past
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider wrote: July 21, 2023, 3:30 pm Nsw cup game just starting now on TV over here, rain looks to have past
NSW Cup comments over on this thread please: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2#p1942382

Comments will be much appreciated.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

According the the NZ Met service (their equivalent of our BOM) there was 29.8mm of rain in Auckland today but no more forecast.

Frawley and Cotric (18th and 19th) both playing NSW cup so expect we are 1-17 pending positional changes.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

On the NZ met service they give a "tradies forecast".

The comment for landscapers today. "Heavy rain during the day, things will get wet"

With insights like that, it is no wonder they were the first to climb Everest.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Elcaptcroker wrote:Is this game 6pm their time or 6pm our time?

In 2 hours..

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and New Zealand Warriors at Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium. Kick off is at 6:00pm AEST (8:00pm local). We will have live scores right here in this thread. Please join in with your own commentary.

Here are the final teams.

Canberra Raiders

1. Sebastian Kris
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Pasami Saulo
17. Ata Mariota

18. Matt Frawley

New Zealand Warriors

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Rocco Berry
4. Adam Pompey
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Luke Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
15. Mitchell Barnett
11. Jackson Ford
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tohu Harris

10. Bunty Afoa
14. Dylan Walker
18. Bayley Sironen
20. Josh Curran

17. Freddy Lussick
The Greenhouse score update service
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

They took Frawley off at half time in NSW Cup so he will be 18th
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

All the "Warriors are a much better team than us" etc etc... I mean I'd agree, but a strong middle goes a long way. Horse, Papa and Taps, add Young for good measure and other brawlers like Timoko... take them out and it'd be ugly. But they're there and should even it up somewhat

I'm predicting we'll lose but not in a smashing like last time
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Elcaptcroker wrote: July 21, 2023, 3:28 pm Is this game 6pm their time or 6pm our time?

Clearly it says six o’clock not sux o’clock so I really don’t understand your question
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: July 21, 2023, 3:30 pm

False. I said I don't think we can, not "we cannot". Come back to me after round 27.
Don’t have to wait till Rd 27, I can assure you without any doubt whatsoever that we can make the 4. Whether or not we will is another matter.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: July 21, 2023, 5:06 pm
Finchy wrote: July 21, 2023, 3:30 pm

Don’t have to wait till Rd 27, I can assure you without any doubt whatsoever that we can make the 4. Whether or not we will is another matter.
Sure Billy. The Tigers could also finish first if everyone else got docked points for salary cap rorting, but I don’t deal in possibilities, I deal in likely outcomes.

I don’t think it’s likely that we finish top 4 (regardless of the fact we’re there now) based on our F/A, our draw, opponent’s draws, and our generally crap footy.

We’ll see if I’m right or wrong come round 27.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

This game has a finials feeling about it, with both sides that will be their is Sept, thinking we can get over the kiwis.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The two teams completing the warm up now. Kick off is coming up!

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart speaks ahead of his sides' clash against the New Zealand Warriors: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/07/21/ric ... ady-to-go/
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

No one has tipped us, we are not expected to win, so we will.

Need to do so as Warriors have an easy draw for the top 4 compared to us. This reminds me of the 2020 defining top 4 game v Roosters at GIO, we lost that one and didn't make top 4.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Raiders head out onto the field now. Wet track after lots of rain in Auckland. The stadium lights are now switched off for the home team's arrival and a bit of a light show.
Last edited by The Greenhouse on July 21, 2023, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Come on lads, let's get it done!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)