Canberra Raiders v Canterbury Bulldogs
Sunday 20 August, 4:05pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 1:20pm
NRLW Canberra Raiders v Parramatta Eels: 1:45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Mostly sunny. Mostly sunny. Light winds becoming west to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h later in the morning then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 1 Max 17

The Raiders host the Bulldogs at Canberra Stadium on Sunday - in a match that could decide if the Green Machine plays finals football, or not.

Last round: 2023 Round 24. Melbourne Storm 48 - Canberra Raiders 2. It was embarrassing. On a day when the Canberra Raiders had an opportunity to push their way into the top four, they were given a schooling in the game of rugby league by the Melbourne Storm. It was awful.

The Raiders' five game winning streak in Melbourne was decisively put to an end. The Raiders have scored at least one try in every match since Round 16 of 2013 - when they lost, 32-2, to the Rabbitohs. That streak is over too. The Storm held Canberra try-less and very nearly put on 50.

More on Round 24: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker (hamstring) returns to the team at centre, with Ethan Strange dropping to the reserves list. Tom Starling and James Schiller have been promoted from NSW Cup to the bench, replacing Adrian Trevilyan and Pasami Saulo in the top 17.

Bulldogs forward Jacob Preston has been suspended for two weeks for a hip drop. He's replaced by Corey Waddell. Ryan Sutton returns from a neck injury, with Luke Thompson going to the bench. Raymond Faitala-Mariner has been added to the bench.

Late changes: Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton was ruled out with a hamstring problem on Saturday afternoon. He's expected to only miss a week. Matt Frawley will replace him. The Bulldogs ruled out Ryan Sutton with a neck injury.

History: The Raiders have won 35 and lost 37 matches against the Canterbury Bulldogs, nearly a 50 per cent win rate. The record has been even more favourable recently, with Canberra winning nine of the past 10 clashes - and the last seven in a row. The two teams met in Magic Round in 2021 and it wasn't too comfortable for the Green Machine. Josh Papalii was sent off and Jack Wighton was sin binned - and the Raiders just got a two point victory, 20-18. It wasn't the best performance from the Raiders in the 14-4 win over the Dogs last year either. It was, at least, the end of a five game losing streak for Canberra. Earlier this year, the Raiders produced a 34-30 win over the Dogs at Lang Park during Magic Round. It was a much closer encounter than it really should have been.

2023 Round 10: Raiders 34 defeated Bulldogs 30

2022 Round 9: Raiders 14 defeated Bulldogs 4

2021 Round 10: Raiders 20 defeated Bulldogs 18

2020 Round 16: Raiders 34 defeated Bulldogs 20

2019 Round 12: Raiders 12 defeated Bulldogs 10

The Raiders have won 16 of 26 games played between the clubs at Canberra Stadium, including the last four.

Form: Raiders: WLLWL
Bulldogs: WLLWL

The Bulldogs are coming off a 42-6 defeat at the hands of the Knights in Newcastle on Sunday. Seven tries to one. Comprehensive. Sin bins in the first half for Harrison Edwards and Jacob Preston did not help. The Bulldogs do have a couple of recent wins - over the Rabbitohs (36-32) and the Dolphins (23-22). But they also have some other big losses in their past five - against the Broncos (44-24) and Panthers (44-18).

The Raiders' form has been poor for a month. They lost by a point to the Warriors in Auckland (21-20) in Round 21, but they were fortunate to force golden point with two last gasp tries. They were very soundly beaten by the Knights at home, 28-6, and scraped a win against the Tigers (22-18) in the following week. On Sunday, the Raiders were humiliated by the Storm (48-2).

Betting: The Raiders are $1.39 favourites, with the Bulldogs paying $3.01. The Bulldogs have 7.5 points start in the line betting. The Bulldogs' odds have shortened after news broke that Jack Wighton would miss the game due to a minor hamstring problem.

Stat attack: This is a clash between sixth (Raiders) and 15th (Bulldogs) on the ladder. However, the Raiders' position on the ladder does not match most of the statistics. The Raiders and Bulldogs are both in the bottom four teams in attack. The Bulldogs have worst defence in the competition - with Canberra in a postcode that is not far away.

The Raiders have been winning tight tussles, mostly against lower ranked opposition, while being blown away by some in-form teams. They have won three of nine matches against teams currently in the top eight.

The Bulldogs are running last for running metres gained and line breaks - while the Raiders are second last for both. The Bulldogs are also last for tackle breaks. The Tigers are presently saving the Bulldogs and Raiders from being last for try assists.

One thing that has boosted the Raiders is the goal kicking of Jarrod Croker and Jamal Fogarty. The Green Machine has the best conversion percentage in the competition (87 per cent). The Bulldogs ranks second (82 per cent).

The Bulldogs miss more tackles than any team in the NRL, more than 40 per game.

Only the Roosters have conceded more penalties than the Bulldogs, with the Raiders ranking fourth.

2023 Season record: Raiders 12 and 9 (6th, -120), 6 and 4 home
Bulldogs 7 and 14 (15th, -297), 3 and 7 away

Attack: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 14th on average tries scored
Bulldogs 17 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 16th on average tries scored

Defence: Raiders 26 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 13th for fewest average tries conceded
Bulldogs 31 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 17th for fewest average tries conceded.

Possession: Raiders 49 per cent, Bulldogs 49 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 77 per cent, Bulldogs 76 per cent

Running: Raiders 1573 running metres per match
Bulldogs 1536 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 30, Bulldogs 30 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 4 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Bulldogs 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 10, Bulldogs 11 per match

Kicking: Raiders 575 kicking metres per match
Bulldogs 583 kicking metres per match

Missed tackles: Raiders 34, Bulldogs 41 per match

Ineffective tackles: Raiders 14, Bulldogs 16 per match

Tackle efficiency: Raiders 88 per cent, Bulldogs 86 per cent

Errors: Raiders 10, Bulldogs 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Bulldogs 7 per match

My tip: The Raiders should win this game. They must win too, because if they don't, it could well be season over. They face the Broncos and Sharks in the final two rounds, both teams above the Raiders on the ladder. If they can't beat the Dogs, they might as well forget it. It won't be easy - as the statistics show. Canberra has five more wins in 2023 than Canterbury, but the teams are not that far apart in many of the statistical indicators. And the Raiders have a habit of playing to the level of their opponents. I'll go for the Raiders by eight or less. Less than the 9.5 points margin on offer.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Matt Timoko
5. Nick Cotric
19. Matt Frawley
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. James Schiller
17. Ata Mariota

18. Trey Mooney
20. Ethan Strange

Injuries/Suspension
Jack Wighton, Hamstring (Round 26)
Sebastian Kris, Hamstring (Round 27-Finals)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Seizure (Indefinite)
Danny Levi, Jaw (Season)
Elijah Anderson, Knee (Season)
Jordan Martin, Knee (Season)

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Jake Averillo
2. Blake Wilson
3. Jacob Kiraz
4. Braidon Burns
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Toby Sexton
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Liam Knight
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Corey Waddell
16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

14. Kyle Flanagan
15. Luke Thompson
17. Tevita Pangai Junior
19. Harrison Edwards

21. Jayden Okunbor
22. Hayze Perham

Injury/Suspension
Ryan Sutton, Neck (TBA)

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Chris Sutton, Kieren Irons
Video referee: Ben Cummins

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersBulldogs

NRLW teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: 2023 Rd 25 v Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by bonehead »

my 1 live game this season and I'll be filthy if we don't have a hit back win

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

The only way that there might be a glimmer of hope for the remainder of the season is if we thump them 50-0. But it ain’t happening.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Regs Revolution wrote: August 19, 2023, 9:21 am The only way that there might be a glimmer of hope for the remainder of the season is if we thump them 50-0. But it ain’t happening.
It’s depressing that we don’t have the ability to do this to anyone. Even the stone motherless last Tigers put 66 points on the Cowboys. We barely beat them, twice.

The Knights put on over 100 points on the Bulldogs in 2 games. And yet, we’ll likely either lose this game, or scrape out an unconvincing 24-22 type game where we hang on for dear life until the full time siren sounds.

It’s crap.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

And we see Rocky jumping up and down fist pumping the air like he's won a GF.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It's sickening.

This place is woke.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Question wrote: August 19, 2023, 10:22 am And we see Rocky jumping up and down fist pumping the air like he's won a GF.

:roflmao the one against the tigers was bad. You set a pretty low bar when you're ecstatic at your team defending against the wooden spooners.

The best is Bellamy. He did it earlier this year. His team had won unconvincingly by around 18 points and he was filthy at the result. I wish we had that response level.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Rickaholics!
Come get your weekly dose of pure disappointment and frustration!
Caaarrrn Raiders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It’s time to bleedgreen.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Game day you absolute bunch of soft stomached schnauzers! Who’s ready to have their weekend ruined? I know I am!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

memories of Hors carrying Max King down the field on his back like a child on a pony -twice - last time we played these blokes. Their forward pack stinks. And although they get Kikau back they've lost Preston who's prob been their best fwd.

We should win comfortably. Famous last words
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Relax and grind
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Relax, grind and brawl.

I’m feeling uneasy.

The ole Raiders would belt this rabble, these Raiders are limp.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Boomercm wrote:memories of Hors carrying Max King down the field on his back like a child on a pony -twice - last time we played these blokes. Their forward pack stinks. And although they get Kikau back they've lost Preston who's prob been their best fwd.

We should win comfortably. Famous last words
Narrator: They didn't
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:It’s time to bleedgreen.
clap happier!

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Press conference Question 1:

“Ricky you often talk about how you want the raiders to grind. The definition of grinding describes a mundane process that reduces things to small particles and eventually makes them disappear. Is that what you have done to your teams finals hopes and the viewing pleasure of all your supporters?”
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Billy Walker wrote: August 20, 2023, 7:44 am Press conference Question 1:

“Ricky you often talk about how you want the raiders to grind. The definition of grinding describes a mundane process that reduces things to small particles and eventually makes them disappear. Is that what you have done to your teams finals hopes and the viewing pleasure of all your supporters?”
Stickys answer - You WGD, there is 17 men in the dressing room who are hurting right
Now, I don’t feel like talking right now….
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: August 20, 2023, 7:19 am
clap happier!

What’s the temp in the capital this morning ?
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

bonehead wrote: August 18, 2023, 6:13 pm my 1 live game this season and I'll be filthy if we don't have a hit back win

Same with me. Flew from Perth on Friday... Haven't seen a live loss yet so 🤞🤞🤞
Perth Based Raiders Fan
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

-PJ- wrote: August 20, 2023, 9:16 am
bonehead wrote: August 20, 2023, 7:19 am
clap happier!

What’s the temp in the capital this morning ?
12 degrees.. max of 17
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Schiller selection makes more sense. He can be jammed in if Frawley and Croker get torn to shreds again. Although I wouldn't say Schiller is known for his D.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

After going out to see the NSW team yesterday demolish the Dogs, I wonder how 2-3 of them don't get picked for the NRL side given the plodders who are cemented into the side. The only positive today is no Jack and maybe Frawley doesn't throw the ball into touch as much.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote: August 19, 2023, 9:21 am The only way that there might be a glimmer of hope for the remainder of the season is if we thump them 50-0. But it ain’t happening.
It’s depressing that we don’t have the ability to do this to anyone. Even the stone motherless last Tigers put 66 points on the Cowboys. We barely beat them, twice.

The Knights put on over 100 points on the Bulldogs in 2 games. And yet, we’ll likely either lose this game, or scrape out an unconvincing 24-22 type game where we hang on for dear life until the full time siren sounds.

It’s crap.
Our lack of application in defence for the full 80 minutes is killing us. We can do it in short bursts, but consistently let in 2 or 3 tries on the trot before regaining any momentum.

Some of it is mental, but it's just as much about having 3 or 4 players in the lineup who are consistently liabilities in defence.

We must be the easiest team to coach against in the NRL.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 20, 2023, 12:33 pm
Finchy wrote:

It’s crap.
Our lack of application in defence for the full 80 minutes is killing us. We can do it in short bursts, but consistently let in 2 or 3 tries on the trot before regaining any momentum.

Some of it is mental, but it's just as much about having 3 or 4 players in the lineup who are consistently liabilities in defence.

The Storm lost two of their last three so there was a template available on how to beat them.
The St George coach must be a tape guru cause he almost managed to pull off a massive upset last night
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm still scratching my head at the Schiller selection. Has he been playing another position in Cup, besides winger? Why the **** are we carrying a winger on the bench?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

mick63 wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 20, 2023, 12:33 pm
Finchy wrote:

It’s crap.

The Storm lost two of their last three so there was a template available on how to beat them.
The St George coach must be a tape guru cause he almost managed to pull off a massive upset last night
The template certainly isn't missing 50 tackles defence and throwing the ball away multiple times in attack.

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Ilanraiders wrote: August 20, 2023, 8:59 am
Billy Walker wrote: August 20, 2023, 7:44 am Press conference Question 1:

Stickys answer - You WGD, there is 17 men in the dressing room who are hurting right
Now, I don’t feel like talking right now….
“I know how to fix it. But I’m not going to tell you how.”
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

gergreg wrote:I'm still scratching my head at the Schiller selection. Has he been playing another position in Cup, besides winger? Why the **** are we carrying a winger on the bench?
Ricky has carried backs on the bench a lot and has already explained why he does it.

Remember Cotric was on the bench a few times. I doubt Schiller will get on unless there is an injury to the backs TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs at Canberra Stadium. Kick off is at 4:05pm. This match is broadcast on Nine/GEM and Fox Sports Channel 502 and associated streaming services. Check your local guides. We will have live scores right here. Please join in with your own commentary.

Here are the final teams.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Matt Timoko
5. Nick Cotric
19. Matt Frawley
7. Jamal Fogarty
10. Joe Tapine
9. Zac Woolford
15. Emre Guler
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Corey Horsburgh

8. Josh Papalii
14. Tom Starling
16. James Schiller
17. Ata Mariota

18. Trey Mooney

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Jake Averillo
2. Blake Wilson
3. Jacob Kiraz
4. Braidon Burns
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Toby Sexton
10. Liam Knight
9. Reed Mahoney
15. Luke Thompson
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Corey Waddell
16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

8. Max King
14. Kyle Flanagan
17. Tevita Pangai Junior
19. Harrison Edwards

21. Jayden Okunbor
Last edited by The Greenhouse on August 20, 2023, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Nervous as a Mexican with a mortgage.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think we'll miss Jack's defence but not his erratic everything else

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Game day out a the game raiders hanging on for a victory, while raiders boys need to prove themselves after a shocking couple of weeks, let's go without Jack, fingers crossed a big score.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

mikeraider wrote: August 20, 2023, 3:26 pm Game day out a the game raiders hanging on for a victory, while raiders boys need girls to prove themselves after a shocking couple of weeks, let's go without Jack, fingers crossed a big score.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Huh.

This place is woke.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

mikeraider wrote: August 20, 2023, 3:27 pm
mikeraider wrote: August 20, 2023, 3:26 pm Game day out a the game raiders girls hanging for another victory,, while raiders boys need to prove themselves after a shocking couple of weeks, let's go without Jack, fingers crossed a big score.