Sharks 13+
40%

Total votes: 20

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2023 Rd 27 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: August 31, 2023, 7:24 am “I feel sorry for the NRL judiciary mate. Those blokes on the judiciary are very good at what they do. They are good operators mate, but they have had power taken away from them and they aren’t being allowed to get it right. That’s all I’m going to say on that but I really feel bad for them.” - am I doing it right?
The NRL illuminati at work. We're just lucky they took a few years off in 16, 19 and 20.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: August 31, 2023, 9:41 am
The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
greeneyed wrote: What people are questioning, I think, is that the repeat offender penalties are way too harsh.
I like harsh repeat offender penalties. If the penalties are weak then all they’ve done is completely water down the system.

Idea is that lesser offences see no games lost. But if you can’t learn and keep doing it - know you’re going to sit those extra weeks of effectively suspended sentence.

If anything the system is too weak that clowns like JWH have had fine after fine impacting oppositions without any real impact to Roosters. Good to see him sit a lengthy period finally as a repeat offender.

Same thing will happen to Raps for any light trip now. Learn the lesson and don’t stick the leg out, or a love tap like Saturday will probably get 4-5 weeks off.
Yeah, I think the repeat offender penalty is good too.

Honestly, what people SHOULD be questioning is whether it’s actually a shoulder charge and worth a penalty at all, because it doesn’t appear to be.
The problem with the repeat offender rule is the actual charges allocated to the player. JWH and NAS have had 5+ fines this year because they're slapped with a grade 1 'nothing burger' all year. Rapana is the same. All three should have been suspended earlier.
Agreed.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I like the repeat offender thing too, but agree it needs to be tweaked... like Rapana should not be playing this week if we're being honest with ourselves.
I think allowing fines to a certain level is reasonable but for me it should be a "3 strikes, you're out" deal

Allow them to take the fine twice, 3rd time onwards, and you sit.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: August 31, 2023, 10:21 am I like the repeat offender thing too, but agree it needs to be tweaked... like Rapana should not be playing this week if we're being honest with ourselves.
I think allowing fines to a certain level is reasonable but for me it should be a "3 strikes, you're out" deal

Agree with these low end charges. Needs to have some kind of cumulative value applied in regards to suspension. Jordy doing minor **** on a weekly basis, like a few other players in the comp, need to have escalated penalties.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Maybe they could go to the Supreme Judiciary with all living immortals on the panel. There's a reality show buried in this judiciary system. Certainly much more Basil Fawlty than Judge Judy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 31, 2023, 10:48 am
Botman wrote: August 31, 2023, 10:21 am I like the repeat offender thing too, but agree it needs to be tweaked... like Rapana should not be playing this week if we're being honest with ourselves.

Agree with these low end charges. Needs to have some kind of cumulative value applied in regards to suspension. Jordy doing minor **** on a weekly basis, like a few other players in the comp, need to have escalated penalties.
On the other hand, Corey Horsburgh getting four weeks for that particular tackle shows there’s something wrong at the other end. Between the NRL’s guidelines on what a shoulder charge is, repeat offender rule and the early plea system, there’s very clearly been a miscarriage of justice.

And, Jordan Rapana getting more than a fine for what he did on the weekend would be a miscarriage of justice too. What he did should not have been charged at all.

There’s something very wrong with what’s going on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'm not one for conspiracy theories generally, but this suspension really does seem like a big "****" from the NRL to Rocky Stewart, doesn't it?
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Couldn't disagree more. There is no value rubbing out players out of the game unless there is a serious offence.

If there are the continuous fines for a player for small indiscretions with no ramifications of future punishment, so be it. They did a silly thing like stick their foot in the heat of trying to stop a try, cop a fine and move on. Why should he sit out for something like that in the future? I'm not even sure he made contact either.

The loading system is completely flawed. How a player gets rubbed out for 4 matches based on previous small incidents, on the eve of finals for a small indiscretion is absolute nonsense. How is that fair?

If there is something that is serious, that causes an injury to an opposing player because it is deemed dangerous and reckless, then go ham. But this, is completely wrong.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

There is something wrong with the NRL these days.
There's big inconsistency in the on field rulings and off field too. They really don't know what they want to be.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Regs Revolution wrote: August 31, 2023, 12:06 pm

Couldn't disagree more. There is no value rubbing out players out of the game unless there is a serious offence.

If there are the continuous fines for a player for small indiscretions with no ramifications of future punishment, so be it. They did a silly thing like stick their foot in the heat of trying to stop a try, cop a fine and move on. Why should he sit out for something like that in the future? I'm not even sure he made contact either.

The loading system is completely flawed. How a player gets rubbed out for 4 matches based on previous small incidents, on the eve of finals for a small indiscretion is absolute nonsense. How is that fair?

If there is something that is serious, that causes an injury to an opposing player because it is deemed dangerous and reckless, then go ham. But this, is completely wrong.
Well if a player continually re-offends after being fined then the fine system doesn't appear to be working as a deterrent. That means there is no value in the fine system other than adjusting respective bank balances. That is why an escalation of the punishment is necessary.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 31, 2023, 11:35 am

On the other hand, Corey Horsburgh getting four weeks for that particular tackle shows there’s something wrong at the other end. Between the NRL’s guidelines on what a shoulder charge is, repeat offender rule and the early plea system, there’s very clearly been a miscarriage of justice.

And, Jordan Rapana getting more than a fine for what he did on the weekend would be a miscarriage of justice too. What he did should not have been charged at all.

Horse copping 4 weeks for what was really a solid front on tackle was a joke. See dozens of similar tackles every week that go unpunished.

Reality is the grading and points system still has too many flaws. By trying to make things more defined and transparent in the process they have actually created far too much inconsistency outcomes.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 31, 2023, 12:39 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 31, 2023, 11:35 am

Horse copping 4 weeks for what was really a solid front on tackle was a joke. See dozens of similar tackles every week that go unpunished.

Reality is the grading and points system still has too many flaws. By trying to make things more defined and transparent in the process they have actually created far too much inconsistency outcomes.
Are you saying it’s best to check the form before you back a Hors?
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Northern Raider wrote: August 31, 2023, 12:35 pm

Well if a player continually re-offends after being fined then the fine system doesn't appear to be working as a deterrent. That means there is no value in the fine system other than adjusting respective bank balances. That is why an escalation of the punishment is necessary.
He got 10 mins in the sin bin for a trip which seems wholly reasonable as a punishment.
He was then given a $3k fine for a trip.
Now you want 10 mins in the bin, a 3K fine and 1 game suspension for a trip.
Whats the next escalating punishment for a trip, sent off, 3k fine, 3 game suspension... you guys are insane.
10min sin bin is sufficient, dealt with on the field.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidernation wrote: August 31, 2023, 12:54 pm

He got 10 mins in the sin bin for a trip which seems wholly reasonable as a punishment.
Whats the next escalating punishment for a trip, sent off, 3k fine, 3 game suspension... you guys are insane.
It didn't even deserve 10 minutes in the sin bin.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

greeneyed wrote: August 31, 2023, 1:01 pm

If the ref thought Raps committed an illegal act in the process of scoring a try than I can live with 10 mins in the bin but I tend to agree there was nothing in it and at best a conversation with Jordy after the try is scored is fine.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 30, 2023, 6:27 pm Why Canberra Raiders freak Hohepa Puru could step in for Corey Horsburgh at lock in NRL debut

Hohepa Puru hasn't been in Canberra more than a year, but touted as a freak athlete by coaches and teammates, he's already set to make his NRL debut and could even start in place of Corey Horsburgh this weekend in Cronulla.

"He's an extremely talented ball-player. He can step off both feet, but mainly has a good right foot step. He's got the skill of a good half and the physicality of a forward, so he's definitely going to assist in attack," NSW Cup coach Justin Giteau said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Yeah 100% :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Botman wrote:I like the repeat offender thing too, but agree it needs to be tweaked... like Rapana should not be playing this week if we're being honest with ourselves.

I'd like to see some onfield retribution for blokes that like to trip.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Arguing the specifics of a single charge is not really the point here. We are talking about players receiving multiple fines yet still got out and do the same ****.

Also the previous post about multiple punishments for the same incident is not want I want. At no stage did I say a player should get fined AND suspended.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raidernation wrote: August 31, 2023, 1:06 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 31, 2023, 1:01 pm

If the ref thought Raps committed an illegal act in the process of scoring a try than I can live with 10 mins in the bin but I tend to agree there was nothing in it and at best a conversation with Jordy after the try is scored is fine.
I didn't think there was much in it either. Hardly warranted a sin bin. But he was charged and he did plead guilty.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Pleading guilty doesn't mean anything other than not running the gauntlet of the judiciary, which we have just witnessed to be a farce.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I personally reckon we freeze frame every tackle where the first contact is made with the shoulder (95% of tackles) to determine how many players should be suspended for 4 weeks for a shoulder charge after every game.

My money is on zero clubs being able to field a team by round 3.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 31, 2023, 6:57 pm I personally reckon we freeze frame every tackle where the first contact is made with the shoulder (95% of tackles) to determine how many players should be suspended for 4 weeks for a shoulder charge after every game.

My money is on zero clubs being able to field a team by round 3.
Hahaha. Well the NRL has got you covered there mate, with their ridiculous rule that teams cannot compare other incidents which weren’t charged. So teams aren’t able to highlight the NRL incompetence or inconsistency. Burgess wasn’t wrong when he called it a kangaroo court, even though he was the grubbiest player since J. Hopoate and should have been suspended out of the game earlier.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos' Brendan Piakura escapes NRL ban for high shots

Brisbane forward Brendan Piakura has received fines from the NRL match review committee for all three charges he received in the 32-22 loss to Melbourne. In a confusing moment for Raiders fans, the 21-year-old will play in week one of the finals despite even his own coach expecting him to be banned.

It's a stark contrast to the four-game ban Corey Horsburgh copped earlier this week. Most past players, commentators and fans were perplexed by the ban for what was widely viewed as a strong and legal tackle.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Horsburgh ban adds to Raiders’ judiciary frustration: https://canberraweekly.com.au/canberras ... nrl-fines/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Future captain material right here

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote:Future captain material right here

Love these videos.

I hope Stuart doesn't let Puru and his family down by putting him on the field for 5 rubbish minutes at the end.

Seriously, give the bloke a decent crack.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Surely he's starting for Hors

Hopefully Mooney comes onto the bench

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote:Surely he's starting for Hors

Hopefully Mooney comes onto the bench

It's the only sensible move.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

-TW- wrote: September 1, 2023, 8:08 pm Future captain material right here

That's what I thought too. Speaks very well - seems very genuine and professional. Really like this kid.

I also liked to joke from Stick at the start - can we actually sign his brother?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dude should have been in fg months ago
Really excited for him and for us.

If he can handle nrl footy at his size we’ve got ourselves a very good young footballer imo
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

It’s a shame so many debutants first jerseys are those trash white ones. We don’t clash with anyone but Souths. Wear green ****!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah that’s pretty impressive. Hope the lad goes well!
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Great stuff.

And he hasn't signed elsewhere yet so you have to assume we've got some deal figured out to keep him around next year. Exciting
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Maybe we can bring his brother down here as well. I've not seen him play, but he is talked about as a very talented 6
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: August 30, 2023, 10:33 pm
Coastalraider wrote: August 30, 2023, 9:32 pm
Regs Revolution wrote: August 30, 2023, 9:22 pm
Finchy wrote: August 30, 2023, 8:55 pm DIrect and forceful contact to the head intentionally with an elbow? 1 week.

Front on hit with no contact to the head, no injury, no complaint, no penalty? 4 weeks.
Exactly.

An intentional elbow to the head should be 4 weeks at least.
Well, let’s compare apples with apples. Horses first charged for this was a couple of grand. So that’s light compared. His second charge was $3k, still light compared with what staggs got.

His 3rd charge for the same issue was 3 weeks. So repeat offenders pay. Then, knowing the penalty would increase to 4 weeks with odds against him, he challenged and now we are bitching.

It’s a loooong road to 4 weeks.
What people are questioning, I think, is that the repeat offender penalties are way too harsh.

And in this case, given the Horsburgh did not actually effect a shoulder charge, it all seems a bit unjust.

The folks at the NRL have lost themselves in a labyrinth of indicators, elements, and legal mumbo jumbo. The whole thing needs to be blown up. A good start would be removing Graham Annesley from League HQ at Moore Park.
Graham Annesley is a chump
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

It's honestly baffling that the NRL thinks it's reasonable to suspend somebody for 4 weeks for a great hit. This is rugby league, not soccer ****...