2023 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: 2023 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Lui_Bon »

samvucago wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:36 pm
Botman wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:27 pm Cleary is on a trajectory that puts on par with any player who has laced a boot
I honestly can not beleive that performance... down 16 with 20 to go and what he did... was actually special

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
Kind of makes you wonder why a bloke who won 1 and a half premierships and maybe one SoO was made an immortal... Can anyone seriously mount an argument that Andrew Johns is even now a better player with more achievements that Nathan Cleary?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 1, 2023, 11:22 pm
Botman wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:27 pm Cleary is on a trajectory that puts on par with any player who has laced a boot
I honestly can not beleive that performance... down 16 with 20 to go and what he did... was actually special

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
Kind of makes you wonder why a bloke who won 1 and a half premierships and maybe one SoO was made an immortal... Can anyone seriously mount an argument that Andrew Johns is even now a better player with more achievements that Nathan Cleary?
Yes
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Billy Walker wrote: October 1, 2023, 11:45 pm

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
Yes
The argument I hear is that in order to be an immortal, the player needs to dominate in ALL levels, including SOO. I dont know how fair or accurate that is. Clearly hasn't dominated in SOO yet.

What I will suggest is what Clearly did in the last 20m in a GF, could be the best individual performance in this sport. One could mount a very argument argument for it at least.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

The 97 half comp win was quickly followed by quite a few knights players testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. Always buggs me no one in the media mention this
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Good morning everyone. What a glorious day!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 2, 2023, 5:40 am Good morning everyone. What a glorious day!
How great is it to be a non-Broncos supporting Queenslander?

I tell you what, the amount of people I know who don't support the Broncos but were wearing Broncos shirts or jerseys at the pub last night made me sick. I swore someone was giving them out in the carpark!

I was genuinely minutes away from going home when Cleary put the prop away for the first try of their comeback. I'm so **** glad I decided to hang around after that.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
Yes. Nathan Cleary needs to play some rep footy without **** the bed before he’s near Johns.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 2, 2023, 5:40 am Good morning everyone. What a glorious day!
Apparently this song has been banned in Brsbane Doc, due to the lyrics:

I can see CLEARY now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

RedRaider wrote:
Apparently this song has been banned in Brsbane Doc, due to the lyrics:

I can see CLEARY now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day
Some of your best work Red
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

julian87 wrote: October 2, 2023, 6:40 am

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
Yes. Nathan Cleary needs to play some rep footy without **** the bed before he’s near Johns.
I thought he did ok at the last RLWC to keep an in form DCE out of the Test line up. Mal selected him over DCE.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
Andrew Johns is the 2nd best Rugby League player I’ve ever seen. Nathan Cleary is the best already and he’s not close to finished yet.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

RedRaider wrote: October 2, 2023, 6:52 am

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
I thought he did ok at the last RLWC to keep an in form DCE out of the Test line up. Mal selected him over DCE.
He made 2 really bad plays late in the semi that almost cost Australia the game.

I’m not here to bash Cleary. Last night was theatre and he was the conductor.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some short term memories around today!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Perhaps some rose tinted views of the past also
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’ve just re-watched the second half to see if I had the rose coloured glasses on last night. I did not. Jack Cogger played the best 20 minutes of football he’ll ever play at the end of that game. Was also good to hear the Fox commentary with Cronk continually lauding what Cogger and in turn Cleary were doing. Talking about the Cleary shift from 7 to 6 in order to win the game. I’m not a fan of Cronk but at the same time on 9 we had Joey Johns calling a 40/20 courageous.

Cogger watch

- led the linespeed being the freshest player on the field multiple times when Brisbane were rucking it from their end

58 min - runs into dummy half with one of his first touches for a 12+ metre scoot

61 min - creates space down the left for Garner. Follows it up by making 3 of the 4 tackles of the next set.

63 min - Great up tempo direct play at 7. Creates numbers and unlocks space for Cleary line break and try.

64 min - Good hands and pick up off the kick off following the Leota try and just before Clearys 40/20

67 min - takes ball to line in the middle of field to give Cleary space at 6 to give early space ball to Crichton for try. First time in the match Crichton has seen any space at all.

70 min - made his only error. Walsh burned him on the outside for line break

71 min - straightens up attack 2 tackles in a row for 20+ meters down left hand short side that results in Crichtons kick and chase for drop out. Took Penrith from defensive to attacking territory in doing so.

73 min - engages line and creates space on left for Cleary tap on to Crichton who could have potentially put Turuva away with hands

75 min - keeps ball alive under pressure post poor Cleary kick on last tackle to enable Crichton to kick for repeat set

79 min - brings Walsh down when he looks to have burned him for speed again

Absolutely sensational rugby league from a bloke on the biggest stage who’s a journeyman fringe first grade halfback. Not getting the plaudits in the media but he absolutely will be by those who know.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

100% Julian, on both fronts - Cogger and Johns.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

samvucago wrote: October 2, 2023, 7:28 am

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
Andrew Johns is the 2nd best Rugby League player I’ve ever seen. Nathan Cleary is the best already and he’s not close to finished yet.
Johns at 21 carried a less than half strength Australian side to a world cup victory playing out of position at Hooker. That's just the start of the list of accolades. He is miles ahead of Cleary still.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

NoMan wrote: October 2, 2023, 8:38 am
samvucago wrote: October 2, 2023, 7:28 am
He will be an immortal !
Johns at 21 carried a less than half strength Australian side to a world cup victory playing out of position at Hooker. That's just the start of the list of accolades. He is miles ahead of Cleary still.
This is a bit of a furphy.

He wore the 9, defended at hooker because he was a good defender. Toovey played hooker in attack and Johns played halfback.
samvucago
Peter Jackson

Post by samvucago »

julian87 wrote: October 2, 2023, 8:28 am I’ve just re-watched the second half to see if I had the rose coloured glasses on last night. I did not. Jack Cogger played the best 20 minutes of football he’ll ever play at the end of that game. Was also good to hear the Fox commentary with Cronk continually lauding what Cogger and in turn Cleary were doing. Talking about the Cleary shift from 7 to 6 in order to win the game. I’m not a fan of Cronk but at the same time on 9 we had Joey Johns calling a 40/20 courageous.

Cogger watch

- led the linespeed being the freshest player on the field multiple times when Brisbane were rucking it from their end

58 min - runs into dummy half with one of his first touches for a 12+ metre scoot

61 min - creates space down the left for Garner. Follows it up by making 3 of the 4 tackles of the next set.

63 min - Great up tempo direct play at 7. Creates numbers and unlocks space for Cleary line break and try.

64 min - Good hands and pick up off the kick off following the Leota try and just before Clearys 40/20

67 min - takes ball to line in the middle of field to give Cleary space at 6 to give early space ball to Crichton for try. First time in the match Crichton has seen any space at all.

71 min - straightens up attack 2 tackles in a row for 20+ meters down left hand short side that results in Crichtons kick and chase for drop out. Took Penrith from defensive to attacking territory in doing so.

73 min - engages line and creates space on left for Cleary tap on to Crichton who could have potentially put Turuva away with hands

75 min - keeps ball alive under pressure post poor Cleary kick on last tackle to enable Crichton to kick for repeat set

Absolutely sensational rugby league from a bloke on the biggest stage who’s a journeyman fringe first grade halfback. Not getting the plaudits in the media but he absolutely will be by those who know.
Am so glad someone else saw how good Cogger was. For the Panthers to adjust after losing Luai and Yeo and still have the ability to claw back into that contest shows what an absolute machine Penrith have created.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

samvucago wrote: October 2, 2023, 8:51 am
julian87 wrote: October 2, 2023, 8:28 am I’ve just re-watched the second half to see if I had the rose coloured glasses on last night. I did not. Jack Cogger played the best 20 minutes of football he’ll ever play at the end of that game. Was also good to hear the Fox commentary with Cronk continually lauding what Cogger and in turn Cleary were doing. Talking about the Cleary shift from 7 to 6 in order to win the game. I’m not a fan of Cronk but at the same time on 9 we had Joey Johns calling a 40/20 courageous.

Cogger watch

Am so glad someone else saw how good Cogger was. For the Panthers to adjust after losing Luai and Yeo and still have the ability to claw back into that contest shows what an absolute machine Penrith have created.
I made the comment on page 8 of this thread that the turning point was Cogger coming on. That was immediately after the game so didn't go quite into the same level of analysis as Jules. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Image Image
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

julian87 wrote:Absolutely sensational rugby league from a bloke on the biggest stage who’s a journeyman fringe first grade halfback. Not getting the plaudits in the media but he absolutely will be by those who know.
Not only a journeyman, but a warm bodied plodder too!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
samvucago
Peter Jackson

Post by samvucago »

Finchy wrote: October 2, 2023, 9:04 am
julian87 wrote:Absolutely sensational rugby league from a bloke on the biggest stage who’s a journeyman fringe first grade halfback. Not getting the plaudits in the media but he absolutely will be by those who know.
Plodded his way to an NRL ring and had a massive plodding impact on the game. What a plodding assessment.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

samvucago wrote: October 2, 2023, 9:10 am
Plodded his way to an NRL ring and had a massive plodding impact on the game. What a plodding assessment.
Not quite. He plodded his way into an elite Penrith system, bided his time in reserves, and stood up when it mattered and he got his chance due to an injury. Well done to the young man
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Tuff tulips Donkeys..😜
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Just seeing now the replay of that game, wow, I knew we were garbage, but we are so far off the pace and on another planet it's not even funny.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Question wrote:Just seeing now the replay of that game, wow, I knew we were garbage, but we are so far off the pace and on another planet it's not even funny.

To be fair these 2 teams are head and shoulders over the rest this year. I can only see South’s at their best getting close to them.

I did not think I would see a more explosive/fitter side than the Panthers but Broncos showed them up for a while but could not maintain it. Our guys need to focus on that this offseason.

We also need some pace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: October 2, 2023, 11:09 am Just seeing now the replay of that game, wow, I knew we were garbage, but we are so far off the pace and on another planet it's not even funny.

Without being creative and moving players into different positions to fit them in, how many Raiders do you think make either of those sides?
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Good god. Nathan Cleary puts in a performance that has him in the rarified air of a Andrew Johns or Ricky Stuart and you have people get trying to talk up Jack Cogger :roflmao :roflmao never change GH
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Riaan wrote: October 2, 2023, 1:06 pm Good god. Nathan Cleary puts in a performance that has him in the rarified air of a Andrew Johns or Ricky Stuart and you have people get trying to talk up Jack Cogger :roflmao :roflmao never change GH
Jack Cogger actually made a huge difference when he came on, and Cleary actually highlighted that in the presser. Both were good
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: October 2, 2023, 12:53 pm
Question wrote: October 2, 2023, 11:09 am Just seeing now the replay of that game, wow, I knew we were garbage, but we are so far off the pace and on another planet it's not even funny.

Without being creative and moving players into different positions to fit them in, how many Raiders do you think make either of those sides?
Tapine, Papalli, Young, Hors, Rapana surely get a run somewhere, even off the bench. Slim pickings outside of that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Koori Knock Out final about to kick off. On Fox League and NITV. Jack Wighton playing in the final. Canberra's Kayla Flemming just appeared for a Newcastle outfit in the winning women's team. Zac Saddler, Ben Barba, Joel Thompson also playing for Walgett. Blake Ferguson, Bailey Hartwig and Clay Priest former Raiders appearing for Wiradjuri Rivers.

Been entertaining and has been a good filip after Grand Final Day.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:The Koori Knock Out final about to kick off. On Fox League and NITV. Jack Wighton playing in the final. Canberra's Kayla Flemming just appeared for a Newcastle outfit in the winning women's team. Zac Saddler, Ben Barba, Joel Thompson also playing for Walgett. Blake Ferguson, Bailey Hartwig and Clay Priest former Raiders appearing for Wiradjuri Rivers.

Been entertaining and has been a good filip after Grand Final Day.
The let down of Grand Final day? It delivered! It delivered on spades!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It was a great game, but I can't say I can't say I found any joy or excitement about the result. Would have been the same the other way. For the life of me, I don't get why any Raiders fan would. But that isn't what I was attempting to say. The day after Grand Final Day always feels empty. Unless the Raiders win. And that hasn't happened for a long time.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Finchy wrote: October 2, 2023, 9:12 am
samvucago wrote: October 2, 2023, 9:10 am
Not quite. He plodded his way into an elite Penrith system, bided his time in reserves, and stood up when it mattered and he got his chance due to an injury. Well done to the young man
Penrith clearly have a great system. Successfully plugging and playing Jack Cogger when the whips were cracking is the ultimate demonstration of such.

Rick, in 2024 any chance we can have some type of system too?? Or will it be more of the same drivel from the previous decade??