Canberra Raiders reportedly take up 2025 option for Josh Papalii

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders reportedly take up 2025 option for Josh Papalii

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii undecided if he will test open market

Josh Papalii has declared he wants to prove he's still one of the best props in the NRL, but is undecided if he'll test the market when he becomes a free agent this week.

"I want to prove a lot of people wrong, and that I've still got what it takes to be a top-five prop in the game," Papalii said. "I know I'm turning 32 next year, but I feel like I've got something special to offer to the club. Only last week my parents asked me if I was retiring because they heard rumours I might be retiring. It just adds that fire in the belly that makes me want to go out and play some of my best footy."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii undecided if he will test open market

Post by greeneyed »

It should be noted that Papalii is on contract with the Raiders to end 2024, with a mutual option with the Raiders for 2025. Papalii can exercise his option if he plays 75 per cent of games across 2023-24. The story also says he hasn’t yet thought about his future or testing the market, just focusing on turning up for preseason in good shape and playing his best in 2024.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Yeah it reads well from my perspective. Gives the impression he wants to stick around and believes he still has what it takes to be a top 5 prop. But it's a delicate situation with lots of young bulls who now have a taste of first grade and won't be too keen to sit in the shadows for much longer...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Papa is Canberra.

He’ll finish his playing days here.

And we’ll all look back in years to come at one of our very very best.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I want him to play out his footballing days in green. And very comfortable with him playing on in 2025.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: November 1, 2023, 5:46 am Papa is Canberra.

Well said PJ :clap: I 100% agree. Papa is a rock which the rest of the squad can be built on. I hope he upgrades his contract and TV ads.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

In a pure business sense he needs to try and maximise his earnings at the back end of his career. Seeing what's on offer now is the best way to do it considering he has a 2025 option to fall back on. I feel the outcome will be his current deal is the best one he'll get from a financial perspective.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The other unknown is, what rights the Raiders have in the mutual option. Presumably, they have the option to extend if they wish at a contract price lower than the price available to the player. If he’s playing good footy, another year would be good business.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2023, 6:18 am The other unknown is, what rights the Raiders have in the mutual option. Presumably, they have the option to extend if they wish at a contract price lower than the price available to the player. If he’s playing good footy, another year would be good business.
As a mutual option, presumably the player then has a choice to accept it or not as happened with Wighton, including staying with his club but on a different contract.

But this really highlights how ridiculous the situation is. Here we have a player who is 31, probably passed his peak, recovering from an injury (although not major) and on 1 November 2023, there is talk about where he might play in 2025!

It is possible that this time next year, we are talking about how Papa had his 300th game in 2024 and is about to break Jason Croker's club record in 2025. It is equally possible that by this time next year, he is busted and has retired.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

These options puzzle me. He has played 75%+ of games every year of his career.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

NoMan wrote: November 1, 2023, 7:43 am These options puzzle me. He has played 75%+ of games every year of his career.
So had Jarrod Croker. The end can come quickly for some players.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: November 1, 2023, 7:56 am
NoMan wrote: November 1, 2023, 7:43 am These options puzzle me. He has played 75%+ of games every year of his career.
So had Jarrod Croker. The end can come quickly for some players.
yep, 100%
Players dont often age gracefully, though i think Papa's got a game that actually will age gracefully.
But for the most part it's a bit of a cliff... the injuries start piling up and the players ability to be effective diminishes accordingly

It is just insurance for the club against a Croker style decline and i think its actually really smart of the club to build that sort of thing in these deals for aging players.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I think Paps will have a reduced role this coming season. He will come off the bench or play lesser minutes . I dont think its a bad thing as I think he may have a greater output with less minutes.
Move Horsburgh to prop and Ata and Mooney should then take up those minutes left by Paps.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

This is one of those tread carefully because with the speed of the game now it could be a problem. Really depends on the money and how he proforms but it would be 1 year contracts from here on in with great bonuses.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote: November 1, 2023, 5:46 am Papa is Canberra.

I understand your sentiment, but no one will pay heaps for a 32 year old prop on the decline.

He'll stay.

And he'll be a Raider legend
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I've said it before but I think Papalii is perfect for that impact bench prop role with the style he plays. I think he could play for a few more years with high level output if we reduce his minutes and condition him for that sort of role in our 17. Although it would only work out for us if the price is right and Papalii would also probably want to start. There are plenty of clubs where Papalii would likely fit straight into the starting lineup though which is the issue. I'm glad to hear the reports of him retiring were BS because he definitely has a few years of footy left in him.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Who are the people he wants to prove wrong? I swear these guys spend half their time jumping at shadows.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The Nickman wrote: November 1, 2023, 4:43 pm Who are the people he wants to prove wrong? I swear these guys spend half their time jumping at shadows.
His parents. Didn’t you read the article?!

I wonder if it’s the young bucks going through, he’s feeling a bit of pressure to perform.

Tapine, Hors, Mooney, Mariota, Smithies, Guler,
Puru.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Has Papa been a brilliant much loved player for us who will always be thought of fondly?

Will Papa still represent value for us in 2 years time noting the front row talent coming through?

These are two very separate questions. The first is easy to answer. The second time will tell. The club would be smart not to let the answer to the first influence the answer to the second.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

looks like Billy Bulldust has found his new target

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: November 1, 2023, 4:43 pm Who are the people he wants to prove wrong? I swear these guys spend half their time jumping at shadows.
Its just a classic athlete Bull
Like these guys will do ANYTHING to get a chip on their shoulder to help motivate them. Genuinely funny ****
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Ricky loves that stuff. Shove it in everyone’s face, Papa! Even your parents!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders confident of retaining Josh Papalii for 2025 and beyond

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders confident of retaining Josh Papalii for 2025 and beyond

The Canberra Raiders are confident of retaining Josh Papalii even though the veteran prop is yet to decide his playing future beyond 2024. The 31-year-old is contracted for next season and has a conditional option to extend that into 2025. Raiders chief executive Don Furner predicted the front-rower won't be going anywhere.

"I'm hoping Papa is with us for longer," he said. "I would expect Papa to still be here. I'd love to see Papa get his 300th here next year. He wouldn't want to talk about it yet though."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My telegraph tells me he’s retiring at the end of this year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: November 18, 2023, 5:48 pm My telegraph tells me he’s retiring at the end of this year
The Canberra Times says he’s not thinking of retiring any time soon.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 18, 2023, 6:28 pm
Botman wrote: November 18, 2023, 5:48 pm My telegraph tells me he’s retiring at the end of this year
The Canberra Times says he’s not thinking of retiring any time soon.
Yeah but….
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2023, 5:57 am I want him to play out his footballing days in green. And very comfortable with him playing on in 2025.
Whatever it takes, I'd love him to retire as a one club player and also one of the all time greats
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: Canberra Raiders confident of retaining Josh Papalii beyond 2024

Post by magoo »

Would be horrendous if he signed for another team, I don't think he will, but you never know.
If Papa wants another year or two, give it to him. After the treatment Croker and Whitehead recently Papa deserves whatever he wants. He's not the type to play past his used by date
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This guy is a club legend and it would be a travesty to see him play in any other jersey.

As he gets to the tail end now would be a really opportune time for Papa to tighten up his pre-season and off the clock prep.

It seems like most years he comes in noticeably underdone and overweight. He invariably starts the season sluggishly before warming up during the season.

Whilst he is usually fit and firing when it matters, it all feels a bit unnecessary and avoidable.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've given up expecting Papa to come into the season in peak condition and i suspect the club has too
And im also actually OK with it too, i know, i know... he's a professional athlete and all that, and it's not wrong to say that... but the man has so many god damn pelts on the wall at this point that he's kind of earned the right and trust that yeah he'll be slow out of the blocks but he'll be a high quality footballer for us and deliver in big moments.

When you find something that works for you and enables you to deliver such high standard of excellence for such a prolonged period of time, then i can accept that being what it is. Takes a lot to earn that though, cant get that hall pass without delivering time and time again.

I am more apprehesive about that this season than usual with Papa in rehab
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's some athletes you don't want peaking too early as they don't have 2 peaks a season in them

Id say they've worked that out with papa and are happy for him to build his way into the season
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m astonished at the number of Raiders supporters who don’t think he’s got a lot to offer, for at least the next two seasons. Sure he’s not the best prop in the game or club anymore, but he’s the second best prop at the club. No doubt.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2023, 8:38 pm I’m astonished at the number of Raiders supporters who don’t think he’s got a lot to offer, for at least the next two seasons. Sure he’s not the best prop in the game or club anymore, but he’s the second best prop at the club. No doubt.
Any examples? I haven’t seen that sentiment. He’s slowing down but still delivering high quality performances
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: November 19, 2023, 8:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2023, 8:38 pm I’m astonished at the number of Raiders supporters who don’t think he’s got a lot to offer, for at least the next two seasons. Sure he’s not the best prop in the game or club anymore, but he’s the second best prop at the club. No doubt.
Any examples? I haven’t seen that sentiment. He’s slowing down but still delivering high quality performances
You can check our FB page and X (formerly known as Twitter).
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2023, 8:49 pm
Finchy wrote: November 19, 2023, 8:48 pm
You can check our FB page and X (formerly known as Twitter).
Ah that makes sense. FB fans are largely deranged