Canberra Raiders not recruiting halves

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders not recruiting halves

Post by BadnMean »

NoMan wrote: November 6, 2023, 12:20 pm So unless I missed someone the halves depth chart will be:

Fog
Strange - 0 first grade games in the halves
Weekes - 1 game
Sasagi - 0 games
Puru? - 0 games

I gotta go with Julian on this one. Having an unprecedented lack of depth in the halves is asking for disaster.
I concur.

How many rookie halves spring to mind who come through their first full seasons vs men without an injury or two, need for rest from exhaustion/recharge, form or confidence drop etc... it wouldn't be many.

And that's assuming we are using makeshifts like Sasagi or Puru?

Every year Ricky comes up with an Allwood, Scott, Levi to stymie a season. 2024 might just be his masterpiece.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders not recruiting halves

Post by FROG »

Following on from my initial response, there is absolutely no reason a development club couldn't consider talent when it became available and signed experienced players to help usher in the next generation. While this comment from carbone was utterly stupid, it's not the silliest thing he is quoted as saying. His comment where he basically says... we'll see how they go and if they don't perform in their first year we'll then reconsider our position frankly flawed me. Imagine you're one of our juniors about to inherit a key spine position and you make a few school boy errors (noting that's what they are) for them to think if they blow this opportunity they could be done. It's honestly a ludicrous position to take publicly. This guy should be kept away from the media at all costs. Because he has no idea and it shows every time he opens his mouth...

The prospect of heading into 24 with strange and Stewart as first grade spine players, with a view that we'll reconsider our position part way through 24 is terrifying. I remember when the titans rolled the dice with a junior spine which included outstanding talent with fewer than 50 first grade games and they completely had their pants pulled down, and then went desperately hard to sign foran as a result. Our position would be far weaker, even if we did sign the colonel. Let's hope they wake up to themselves and sign a back up half