2024 Canberra Raiders draw

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2024 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by IBG »

The Raiders social media / PR has had a bit of fun with the draw release.

This is inspired from an NFL team doing the same last year (that was 10x more funnier than this), but kudos for doing something different.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If the Raiders are giving up a home game (they can do that twice in the five year term of the new stadium deal), Magic Round is a good option and Las Vegas is the other. Quality stadiums and experiences, and the potential of attracting more cash and possibly crowds. I suspect it has helped the Raiders guarantee that they're not missing Magic Round in 2024. I'd rather have 12 home games, every year, but if the NRL is requiring all teams to put their hands up to take games away from home for the good of the game, fine. All teams should share that responsibility evenly.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bay53 wrote:What do we make of Magic Round being a home game?

Doesn't our current agreement with the ACT Government only allow a certain number of games to be taken away from Canberra in a 5 year period?

Clearly we have taken the cash on offer to be a home team for Magic Round rather than have 12 games at Canberra Stadium.
Don't the "home" teams split the takings for their day?

Friday night is a pretty good sell, it's usually the fullest night of the weekend

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For Magic Round, the NRL provides a financial benefit to the teams volunteering to sacrifice their home game. But they don't take all the money. These are NRL events and they probably take the lion's share. The home teams are likely getting a significant benefit, however, compared to their usual home game profit.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: November 13, 2023, 1:13 pm
Bay53 wrote:What do we make of Magic Round being a home game?

Doesn't our current agreement with the ACT Government only allow a certain number of games to be taken away from Canberra in a 5 year period?

Clearly we have taken the cash on offer to be a home team for Magic Round rather than have 12 games at Canberra Stadium.
Don't the "home" teams split the takings for their day?

Friday night is a pretty good sell, it's usually the fullest night of the weekend

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Hasn’t it been suggested that money isn’t an issue for us because we are flush with pokie dollars?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

My understanding is the home teams are paid a fee by the NRL (not sure if it is the same for all eight teams). The NRL then gets money from the Qld Govt to host it and also the ticket sales. Obviously there are other costs but I think in general it has been a cash cow for the NRL.

It was rumoured the fee was around $250k in 2022 and $300k in 2023. If you are the away team, I don't think you get anything - just like any other away game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

2024 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

How difficult is the Canberra Raiders' 2024 NRL draw?

Fox Sports Lab have broken down just how difficult each team’s draw is using the strength of the schedule based off the Lab Predictor’s ratings for each team, which also factors in how teams have historically gone at scheduled venues. Here are the results, from the easiest, to the most difficult… with Raiders ranking sixth for the easiest draw.

1. Sharks
2. Roosters
3. Knights
4. Cowboys
5. Warriors

6. Raiders

Games played against
Top eight: 11
Top four: 5
Bottom nine: 13
Bottom four: 6

Who they play twice: Bulldogs, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Knights, Cowboys, Roosters, Warriors, Tigers

Analysis: The Canberra Raiders have wound up with a pretty good draw once again, as they’ll only play the Storm, Broncos and Panthers once. They do have a tough first couple of months of the season, so if they can manage at least four wins in the opening eight rounds, the Raiders will be in great stead. Canberra will welcome back a favourite son in Jack Wighton in Round 21 when the Rabbitohs comes to town.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a1a5c1ba56

Strength of schedule: Which clubs have the hardest draws in 2024?

Ranked from most to least difficult.

Data based off 2023 ladder positions reveals the Storm will face the toughest draw in the NRL next season, while the Sharks conversely have been handed the easiest run in 2024. Using the Average Opposition Ladder Rank metric – which analyses every opponent each club will face in the regular and produces an average rating based on ladder standing from the previous season – the strength of schedule for all 17 NRL clubs is determined.

According to this analysis, the Raiders rank fourth for the least difficult draw, behind the Sharks, Warriors and Knights.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/11/13/str ... s-in-2024/

The Daily Telegraph has also graded the draws for every team, which appears to be a qualitative assessment of the strenght of the teams played once or twice, turnaround times, and tough/easy streaks. Some stark differences between this list and the others.

Broncos: A
Bulldogs: A
Sharks: A

Dragons: B+

Cowboys: B
Knights: B
Panthers: B
Raiders: B
Roosters: B
Warriors: B

Eels: C
Rabbitohs: C
Sea Eagles: C
Titans: C

Tigers C-

Dolphins: E
Storm: E

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7c33de8d89

FULL NRL DRAW: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35900
FULL NRLW DRAW: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35901

NRL draw revealed, Canberra Raiders learn 2024 opponents and schedule highlights: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders double-headers locked in after 2024 NRLW draw drops: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders fans hilariously decipher their 2024 NRL opponents after draw released: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times quoting Don Furner and saying that the NRLW stand alone games could go to Raiders Belconnen or Seiffert. But he's also quite definitively said in the video released that they'll be at Canberra Stadium in 2024, as per the draw. So I'm not sure their story has the right "take". He's probably trying to press the ACT government for a better cost of hiring Canberra Stadium for those games, and/or talking about 2025 and beyond.

Members got in for free in 2023 to those games, but they still got some very good crowds. But they would have probably run at a loss.

This is what he said:

"We're continually having discussions about that. We have spent a fair bit of money upgrading Belconnen Raiders - on the scoreboard, the changerooms and the dugout. So it could host," he said. "It's only small - it hasn't got more [capacity] than 1000 probably. We could also go to Seiffert Oval.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I reckon the Raiders draw is harder than a B since the Cowboys, Knights and Eagles are harder than top 4 sides for them.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

NoMan wrote: November 13, 2023, 6:20 pm I reckon the Raiders draw is harder than a B since the Cowboys, Knights and Eagles are harder than top 4 sides for them.
Good point Nullius. Absolute bogey teams for us no matter where they are on the ladder
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Until I could actually see someone else explain the travel distances to away games for each team, factored in alongside turnarounds and bye rests, I'm not convinced by any of these "hardness tests". Come on Gorsky!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don’t believe in easy/hard draws.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Lui_Bon wrote: November 13, 2023, 10:15 pm Until I could actually see someone else explain the travel distances to away games for each team, factored in alongside turnarounds and bye rests, I'm not convinced by any of these "hardness tests". Come on Gorsky!
Well clearly the 4 teams flying to Vegas have much larger travel distances than normal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Club boss slams Broncos’ “rails run”

A rival NRL club boss says the Brisbane Broncos have a “rails run’’ that should ensure they are again a lock for a top four spot next season.

The club boss, speaking on the condition of anonymity on Monday afternoon, declared: “They get the rails run every year. It’s all about TV. It is unbelievable. Good luck to the Broncos. But it is Channel Nine that does it. Not the Broncos … they should be in the top four every year.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ffe783a182

I wonder which CEO that was?

The Broncos’ draw includes:

ONE five day turnaround.
FOUR six day turnarounds.
18 seven day plus turnarounds. Only the Rabbitohs have more (19)
12 Thursday/Friday night games (four Thursday, eight Friday). The Storm have 10.
14 games at Lang Park and 16 in Queensland.
The Broncos also don’t leave Queensland in the final seven rounds of the season.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

^^^Wayne Bennett.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: November 14, 2023, 9:29 am Club boss slams Broncos’ “rails run”

A rival NRL club boss says the Brisbane Broncos have a “rails run’’ that should ensure they are again a lock for a top four spot next season.

The club boss, speaking on the condition of anonymity on Monday afternoon, declared: “They get the rails run every year. It’s all about TV. It is unbelievable. Good luck to the Broncos. But it is Channel Nine that does it. Not the Broncos … they should be in the top four every year.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ffe783a182

I wonder which CEO that was?

The Broncos’ draw includes:

ONE five day turnaround.
FOUR six day turnarounds.
18 seven day plus turnarounds. Only the Rabbitohs have more (19)
12 Thursday/Friday night games (four Thursday, eight Friday). The Storm have 10.
14 games at Lang Park and 16 in Queensland.
The Broncos also don’t leave Queensland in the final seven rounds of the season.
I’m going to say Dave Donaghy. Who doesn’t like frequent flier points? Clearly he’s being gibbed!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Las Vegas commercial.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

2 games in Brisbane and I'm not working , bonus.
Easier or harder draws are guess work, Rosters change , form changes .
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How long will each NRL team spend in the air during 2024?

Not even four teams flying halfway around the world can stop the New Zealand Warriors from having the worst travel schedule in the NRL yet again in 2024.

Zero Tackle have crunched the numbers following the release of the 2024 NRL draw to determine who will spend more time in the air than any other - and the Warriors will reach an unwanted milestone this year, with over 100 hours spent either in the air or waiting for a connecting flight.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/on-the-road- ... 24-165299/

Take 44 hours off the teams going to Las Vegas, if you wish, given they leave a full week before the game and have a two week break to the next game.

The Roosters, Sea Eagles and Rabbitohs have incredibly low travel burdens during the rest of the season, the Broncos the lowest of the out of Sydney teams… and even lower than some Sydney teams.