21%

Total votes: 19

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Trial 1 v Eels: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by gerg »

Beejay wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote: February 17, 2024, 5:44 pm
mikeraider wrote: February 17, 2024, 5:37 pm Loving what our prospects are looking like here, hopefully Ricky can see though the green mist to select so of this talent.
That big run from Savage alone is why he needs to be in first grade. I feel like Ricky is trying to teach him that he needs to grind before he can succeed...we need to be trying to leverage his strengths. He sparks every game, fundamentals will come with experience...spark can't be taught.
He had Chevy behind him. He did not look for support once.
Fair bit of talent but always been a selfish player.
**** me... Chevy was 10 to 15 metres behind him. Check the replay.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Rickmando wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:43 pm
dubby wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:36 pm
Rickmando wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:15 pm
dubby wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:13 pm
Rickmando wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:09 pm Looks like our attacking structure this year is more of the same. Hit ups and hope
You have not watched one second of the game
I have. Looks like we’re just waiting for individuals to do something, like the Leipana/Bateman era
Gosh mate.

We've played well.

Direct. Fast. Aiming at slower players. Decent ball movement.

We have bloody Weekes and Strange in the halves, and you expect NRL perfection?
But Dubs, I’m not saying we havent got players playing well.

It’s been great to see some of these young individual talents. Really excited to see more of quite a lot of them. Just need to pull them all together and play good footy as a collective.
I actually agree with you. The attack lacked structure in our good ball areas. We looked to just go through the front door - I would have liked to see Weekes or Strange set something up in that area of the field. It didn't happen. I hope this is addressed an improved upon rather than glossed over because of the blow out in the scoreline.

On the whole though we looked faster and more willing to attack from anywhere. Positive signs from a number of players.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:13 pm
dubby wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:13 pm

You have not watched one second of the game
I have. Looks like we’re just waiting for individuals to do something, like the Leipana/Bateman era
Gosh mate.

We've played well.

It’s been great to see some of these young individual talents. Really excited to see more of quite a lot of them. Just need to pull them all together and play good footy as a collective.
I actually agree with you. The attack lacked structure in our good ball areas. We looked to just go through the front door - I would have liked to see Weekes or Strange set something up in that area of the field. It didn't happen. I hope this is addressed an improved upon rather than glossed over because of the blow out in the scoreline.

On the whole though we looked faster and more willing to attack from anywhere. Positive signs from a number of players.

You could say the same about Parramatta.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Cotric will be lucky to play first grade this year, hopoate aswell.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

VictorTheViking wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:16 pm Cotric will be lucky to play first grade this year, hopoate aswell.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Ned will be there. Hoppa maybe not
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

dubby wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:15 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:13 pm

Gosh mate.

We've played well.

You could say the same about Parramatta.
You could, but this is a Raiders forum and Parramatta just got towelled up.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

MATCH REPORT: The battle for the Raiders No.6 jersey starts to takes shape after first trial

Kaeo Weekes has laid down an early marker in the battle of the Canberra Raiders six guns. Weekes scored a try, had a good kicking game and showed a good running game in the Raiders' opening pre-season trial - against the Parramatta Eels at Kogarah Oval on Saturday. The Raiders came from behind to win 38-16 after having to plenty of defensive work early in the game.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 38 (Kaeo Weekes, Peter Taateo, Jed Stuart, James Schiller, Peter Hola, Adam Cook, Noah Martin tries; Ethan Strange 4, Cook 1 goals) bt PARRAMATTA EELS 16 (Ofahiki Ogden, Sean Russell, Bailey Simonsson tries; Russell 2 goals) at Kogarah Oval.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders belt Eels 38-16 in trial but spine questions remain: https://canberradaily.com.au/raiders-be ... ns-remain/

Dream debut for Ricky’s boy as Raiders storm home to stun Eels after Arthur’s son KO’d: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7be960faf7

MATCH REPORT: Raiders roll Eels with big second half: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/17/rai ... cond-half/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/17/nrl ... -1st-half/

GALLERY: Raiders v Eels: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/search/2 ... =776061050
The Greenhouse score update service
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:Hmmmm.... I'd like to see more of Asomua.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Absolutely. He's an absolute gun. A genuine talent.

Lots of love for Schiller. I still don't see it. He's way too inconsistent in defence, both reads and contact. Will see what happens.

Lewis and Martin impressed in their effort plays. Great work from the both of them.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Rickmando wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:57 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:53 pm All of the “future stars” played really well, looks promising for the raiders.

Low key glad Sanders had a poor game so it cools of interest elsewhere. Also, Peter Taateo has been impressive, I hope he gets a shot somewhere.
It’s depressing to think we’ve got roster clogging spuds like Whitehead, Guler etc automatically coming back in.

I’d love to see us get first grade games into these talents this year, with an eye on launching an ambush on the comp in 2025…
Worse teams than ours have won the comp, but we have a pack of international and state rep forwards, an inexperienced spine...granted,
But
international centres and one winger, jnr Australian reps going to debut,
And just quietly I've been a fan of Schiller for some time, and he deserves to replace the seabass for the early rounds after today
I can't wait for this season. It's gonna be awesome
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I apologise that this is a fantasy footy wrap up, but most of it translates:

Woolford failed early HIA. He was captain tonight, so don't give me the contract narrative. He's 1st choice. Club sees him.and Levi as similar players, so it's 1 or the other, and Woolford is winning this battle.

Halves battle... Weekes try, lots of kicking.  Strange almost kicked a 40/20. Strange GKing is an interesting 1, as Stewart did it in Cup last yr. Strange running well, very elusive and breaking tackles. I liked what I saw from Strange more than Weekes TBH too. I'd pick him to partner Fog off today's efforts, which would solve the ctr conundrum... Rick hates your fantasy side though.

*NOTE* I'm not seeing 70/30 or 80/20 with Fog given this game - AS I SAID, Ricky won't allow his halves not to kick. For reference, Wighton/Sezer/Hodgo 40/30/30, Wighton/Williams/Hodgo 45/40/15, Wighton/Fog 40/60. Obviously there isn't much kicking coming from 9 or 1 this yr, but IMO 30 will be Weekes/Stranges floor %.

Cotric strong early. Looking more like the pre-dogs version. Might just be the cheap ctr we all need, but its a slow burn guy. Bombed a try in the 3rd quarter. Moved to ctr the end the game.

Savage got a hip drop nearly sneaking through. Later picks up a bombed Eels try and runs 70m up field from his in goal. Good chase Russell TBF. 155m, half in that 1 run.

Mariota proving the Knights final wasn't a fluke. Strong carries and a great offload on the early exchanges. Needs at least 30mins, preferably 35min, to be of value at 282K. Nic named "mini Papa" l, both club and team mates know what he's got in him. I think he was a PPM 33... maybe even better than a PPM.

Stewart, I've said it before, I'll say it again. He's a mini Gutho, just fast enough, just enough skill, ALWAYS in the right spot, and smarter than most. His size could be an issue, but he did make a 1 on 1 tackle after an Eels break before the break. Then cut down Tuilagi on his run. I've seen enough to say he's our #1.

Noah Martin binned. He lowered his body and the bloke headbutted his shoulder... argh. Bagged a late try too. How good!

Jed Stuart try on debut <<< this is Rick's son, not the FB.

Schiller... Brett Mullins nephew... can run. Highlight try vs Storm at AAMI a couple of yrs back, and a double vs Knights on last yrs final. Kid can play. Might push for a centre spot in wk1 for Kris. 174m run. Might even push to hold his wing spot. If for some reason he beats out Cotric, a 250K DPP is GOLD!

Hola has been strong today, 112m and a try straightdown the Hume Hwy. I'd have said he is the 10th middle on the roster, BUT, I think he's been stronger than Guler today.

Put Asamoa in the black book. Speed, power, aggression, craziness. A much better version of Hoppa - who played ctr and fb today, and despite the large meterage, he was horrible. Saulo very strong, 130m despite an HIA.
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Sasagi impressed me
Even the speed of that trial-EW is going to struggle this year and really, should struggle to be named. No disrespect but there are better players in his position now
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

For the people wrapping Strange’s defence did they not see the misses, getting pushed off too easily, not locking in with his inside defender and some poor positioning.

Now this is absolutely not a shot at him. He’s a young guy who looks like he will develop into a good player. But his defence looked like a young guy just a little out of his depth at the moment.

Good halves like Kimmorley and Thurston looked the same at this point of their careers too. Just something he has to keep working on.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Gee the Ref and Touchies let some forward passes go for both teams. Including one or two of our tries and a massive one for Eels that led to nothing.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Cotric was solid, Hoppa was average (gets involved but just doesn’t have it), Schiller was very good - like his attitude. Always impressed by Asomua - should play first grade this year. Savage had some nice touches. Savage is inconsistent and sometimes his effort can seem wanting but he has points in him. Add Rapana and Timoko and that is looking ok as a backline. Would definitely like to have another centre in the squad though.

On the five eighth debate I think Strange has a higher ceiling than Weekes. I think they both can become good players but Strange is better with the ball in hand. I would probably lean with Strange on that basis but I think either would be fine.

Stewart will probably be the fullback. He won’t disgrace himself but ultimately he should be playing another year or two in reserve grade.

Our middles are immense. We probably won’t run last purely on the basis of our middles. Super impressed with Tataeo (spelling). Martin was really good even Spencer and Case were quite good. Sasagi showed he is ok as a squad player. Add in Mariota, Tarps, Paps, Horse, Mooney. Even blokes Guler and Saulo are more than serviceable. Need another second rower or two.

On the hookers, I’ll admit that Levi was quite good.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Ang wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:34 pm Sasagi impressed me
Even the speed of that trial-EW is going to struggle this year and really, should struggle to be named. No disrespect but there are better players in his position now
I’ve just read through the whole thread and this is one of the oddest takes here. Sasagi wS there but offered nothing. Not suited to an edge backrow spot at all
Imo. Was one of the glaring weaknesses in the team’s shape and lineup imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Good to see the boys throwing it around abit more than the last few years…. Will it continue in the season - most likely not.
Thought Schiller and asomua were very good
Saulo, Martin good in the forwards ( forwards depth is ridiculous)
Levi was very creative ( still think he’s 3rd hooker )
Was disappointed not the see trevylian but hard to have 4 hookers in one game I suppose.
The more I see Jed Stuart the lore I like him. Won’t play 1st grade this year however depth outwide is strong considering we lost Croker and morkos
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BJ wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:46 pm For the people wrapping Strange’s defence did they not see the misses, getting pushed off too easily, not locking in with his inside defender and some poor positioning.

Now this is absolutely not a shot at him. He’s a young guy who looks like he will develop into a good player. But his defence looked like a young guy just a little out of his depth at the moment.

Good halves like Kimmorley and Thurston looked the same at this point of their careers too. Just something he has to keep working on.
It was far better than Weekes’ defense and I expect to see Strange at 6 in round 1.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Neeeegz wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:26 pm
Rickmando wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:57 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:53 pm All of the “future stars” played really well, looks promising for the raiders.

Low key glad Sanders had a poor game so it cools of interest elsewhere. Also, Peter Taateo has been impressive, I hope he gets a shot somewhere.
It’s depressing to think we’ve got roster clogging spuds like Whitehead, Guler etc automatically coming back in.

I’d love to see us get first grade games into these talents this year, with an eye on launching an ambush on the comp in 2025…
Worse teams than ours have won the comp, but we have a pack of international and state rep forwards, an inexperienced spine...granted,
But
international centres and one winger, jnr Australian reps going to debut,
And just quietly I've been a fan of Schiller for some time, and he deserves to replace the seabass for the early rounds after today
I can't wait for this season. It's gonna be awesome
Wow that is a massive hot take. Our squad isn’t close to any side that has won a comp.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Over all we have a really good squad. If the young spine players can click on the back of these backs and forwards, we’ll have a window at some point
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The most important thing is that Hopoate is the last on every list.

Wing: Rapana, Cotric, Savage, Asumoa, Schiller all much better.

Centre: Timoko, Kris, Schiller, Rapana, Hosking, (any warm body) all much better.

Fullback: Stewart, Savage, Kris, Weekes, Rapana all much better.

Albert shouldn’t be sighted in first grade unless we have another gym mat boil outbreak.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:06 pm Over all we have a really good squad. If the young spine players can click on the back of these backs and forwards, we’ll have a window at some point
Disagree. You are assuming that Stewart and Strange are going to become rep players. You need rep players in your spine to win a comp and that is a massive assumption to make.

We also probably need to find another decent centre as well a backrower outside of an amazing spine development
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

julian87 wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:08 pm The most important thing is that Hopoate is the last on every list.

Wing: Rapana, Cotric, Savage, Asumoa, Schiller all much better.

Centre: Timoko, Kris, Schiller, Rapana, Hosking, (any warm body) all much better.

Fullback: Stewart, Savage, Kris, Weekes, Rapana all much better.

Albert shouldn’t be sighted in first grade unless we have another gym mat boil outbreak.
I think he is going to be picked. I’d be surprised if he weren’t. You might want to brace yourself
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

julian87 wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:00 pm
The Ang wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:34 pm Sasagi impressed me
I’ve just read through the whole thread and this is one of the oddest takes here. Sasagi wS there but offered nothing. Not suited to an edge backrow spot at all
Imo. Was one of the glaring weaknesses in the team’s shape and lineup imo.
Made a few good runs and offers more than EW, still learning the position I get that. Maybe I’m used to mediocrity from last season
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Trials like this are more about individual performances. Hard to see how our structure will play out without so many Firsts not playing.

Weekes played right side , is that indication that Fogs is going left? Thought Strange was a bit MIA. He is young so not death riding him.
Saulo was busy , ran hard all game. He was clunky when trying the ball playing forward role .
I like Schiller. How good is it having pace in the team.
Levi was good too , clean service. His kick for the TA was **** though.
Asomua will be playing first grade in the near future.
Good win in the end. I enjoyed the 2nd half , some good attack with pace
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

At 18, Noah Martin looks like he will be very good for us in the future. Ruthless sort of unit from the haircut to the style of play. Pretty willing for a kid of his age. Keen to see how he develops.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Guler has never done it for me tbh. Today he was again ... at-best ... loafing with no leg speed.

I thought Cotric played himself back into a spot.

The most complicated one of all for me was holy moly Ethan looked so small, he looked like the perfect halfback bodyshape

I dunno what we do there.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Got home from the MCF and just caught up on the trial
Some initial thoughts

- Chevy looks good to me. He had nice contact and was physical in one on one tackles. He's very far from a finished product but looked like our fullback to me. Nothing particulary special but i liked his game.
- Cotric had a nice game too. Good start after a good finish. Classy touch for the first try. More direct with his ball carrying.
- Savage showed what he is capable of, surprised he didnt run away with that try but credit to Russell for a good chase. Looks good but still coming up limping a lot, which im sure wont thrill the coach. Advantage Cotric
- Schiller was had some very nice moments, showed some toe for his try. Defended well. Solid outing
- Albert H... what is left to say? he aint it. He wasnt it at centre tonight, wasnt it at wing last year, and certainly wasnt it during his time a fullback. Good squad player.
- Asomua.. my man. He's coming.
- Didnt like the halves set up, both Weekes and Strange looked awkward to me, but i did make me wonder if Strange is given first crack at left half maybe his nose is infront to partner Fog who is a right half player... Weekes is a natural right half and Strange a left and yet they swapped this game. Trying to figure out what they might mean.
- I liked Stranges's boot. He showed off some long kicking game. Weekes... eh less so. IMO Strange is ahead of Weekes on performance thus far.
- Credit where it's due here, i think Levi had himself a good game tonight. Service was OK, his touch for the Schiller try was wayyyyyy more **** than class but even that withstanding it was a good game by him. Starling also had a pretty nice night! Good for them. Im not that high o those players but ****, prove me wrong! id be thrilled.

- Middle forwards were just meh... not a lot that stood out but i guess Saulo did show a bit more aggression in his running tonight. That was nice to see. I
- Simi Sasagi is a nice squad player. Not sure he's got a lot of FG footy in him but he had moments on the edge. Looks bigger and had his moment. If we're in a jam at edge forward i feel like he'd be able to handle Fg footy
- I continue to quite like Jed Stuart... he's not very talented and he's not particularly athletic... he's not got a FG future in him if im honest. But i like him as a NSW cup jack of all trades type of guy... he just kind of fits in and does his job where ever he's put. I want him around the NSW cup players.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Just finished watching on replay. Even though it was basically a reserve grade game there was a lot to like. Best part was we looked overall fitter than the Eels, which suggests the offseason program was a good one.

Defense also excellent throughout. Eels only scored 1 legitimate try and had plenty of opportunity.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And now... i read the thread
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh but i also want to say, i think Sanders didnt have his best game over all but his kicking game was really impressive. I didnt watch that game and think or feel any less excited for Sanders coming here.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:49 pm And now... i read the thread
Don't bother. Just look at the result and book your Grand Final tickets.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Watching back again. Kaeo did some nice things. He is a classy player with the ball. I think it's pretty even between he and Strange. I'd be happy with either tbh. They both offer more than Jack did ask year IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:50 pm
book his tickets... bookies ticket... yes, hello John! it's Hansie...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:50 pm
book his tickets... bookies ticket... yes, hello John! it's Hansie...
Hahaha money every time
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yeah Levi was good tonight.

The issue is he looks good in the second tier but never seems to transfer it to NRL level.

I’m pretty sure it will be Woolford Starling round 1.