2024 NRL Round 1: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Re: 2024 NRL Round 1: Teams and Game Day

Post by Postman Pat »

gangrenous wrote:This is why you’ll never be CEO botman.

I’d pay Taylor Swift to act out a love triangle with Cleary and Fowler. Bam - audience up 1000% in a year.

Then all three endorse me for president. Whaddya know nek minit it’s gangers28 ruling the free world.
The NRL can’t afford Tay Tay
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:Sounds like the start of another fascist government to me.
Guards. Throw Nickman in the dungeon please.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Postman Pat wrote:
gangrenous wrote:This is why you’ll never be CEO botman.

I’d pay Taylor Swift to act out a love triangle with Cleary and Fowler. Bam - audience up 1000% in a year.

Then all three endorse me for president. Whaddya know nek minit it’s gangers28 ruling the free world.
The NRL can’t afford Tay Tay
Well damn. You found the flaw in my extremely serious and well thought out plan. Took me hours. There were spreadsheets, a pin board map with stacks of red string. The works.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: March 6, 2024, 7:46 pm This is why you’ll never be CEO botman.

With great respect and although i have campaigned strongly on the basis that he is unfit for the office due to failing mental acuity, i step down for the race of supreme ruler of the world and endorse Gangers. He has a plan to bring our great game into the future.
Long may he reign....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No posts about politics in the football boards, thanks.

And just a reminder… any post about the moderation of the site will be edited or deleted. It’s a site guideline that is long standing and well known. The Greenhouse Guidelines:

Please do not engage in “forum cop” behaviour... We expect members of the group to act responsibly and treat others in the group well. Only the Administrators make calls on whether posts or posters breach The Greenhouse guidelines. We will remove posts discussing the moderation of The Greenhouse...

* you must not operate as a "forum cop" - that is, make demands that this or that post or thread should be deleted or instruct the Moderators and Administrators on how to do their jobs. The Administrators and Moderators are there to help run the forum. Only the Administrators and Moderators have the call on what should be permitted in debate and whether posts should be deleted or threads locked;

* if you have a complaint or question about the moderation of the site, send a private message to one of the Administrators or Moderators. Their names are colour coded in green and blue, respectively. There are a range of Administrators and Moderators, so you have a wide choice of people to send your question or complaint to. It is a condition of use that you do not make posts questioning or complaining about the moderation of the site;

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=10740
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: March 6, 2024, 7:46 pm This is why you’ll never be CEO botman.

With great respect and although i have campaigned strongly on the basis that he is unfit for the office due to failing mental acuity, i step down for the race of supreme ruler of the world and endorse Gangers. He has a plan to bring our great game into the future.
Long may he reign....
My mental impunity is just fine young whippet snipper!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I’ve heard the Fox numbers were disappointing, but that we need to start somewhere. Can anyone confirm?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Seems many people are landing around the 8-12 weeks mark for Spencer Leniu, in terms of a suspension.

I think that’s pretty fair.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wow that run by Taylan May was impressive.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:19 pm Wow that run by Taylan May was impressive.
Yeah he looks awesome early in his return
Shame Munster is out of this game, takes a little shine off a round 1 banger.
Still good start to the game! nice pace.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:19 pm Wow that run by Taylan May was impressive.
Yeah he looks awesome early in his return
Shame Munster is out of this game, takes a little shine off a round 1 banger.
Still good start to the game! nice pace.
I had a speck of dust on my iPhone and it read Shane Munster. I’m thinking who the hell is Shane Munster??????
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Don't really know who I'm going for this match

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fair call by the ref. Ball clearly planted by the carrier before getting to his feet.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

This is an awful game.

If it was Tigers vs Dragons everyone would be calling it worst game ever.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Penrith seem to have their second marker in a weird position in certain defensive situations. Keep an eye out for this.

Here’s an example. I have noticed it a few times.

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I wonder how long they will get away with it for.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

NoMan wrote:I wonder how long they will get away with it for.
I’ve long thought a simple rule would be the second marker has to place one hand on the middle of the back of the first marker. This would make it an easier checkpoint for the ref and create a basic habit for the players.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2024, 8:09 pm
NoMan wrote:I wonder how long they will get away with it for.
I’ve long thought a simple rule would be the second marker has to place one hand on the middle of the back of the first marker. This would make it an easier checkpoint for the ref and create a basic habit for the players.
I dunno... seems like adding another really detailed oriented thing for the refs to look after
I think most teams are pretty liberal in their abuse of the marker situation and the refs have done a good job of course correcting on it

I actually think it's one area we kind of do a good job in, our markers are often pushing the limits of their depth
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NoMan wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:59 pm I wonder how long they will get away with it for.
Clearly a double marker, off side position. And they'll get away with it all season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
NoMan wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:59 pm I wonder how long they will get away with it for.
Clearly a double marker, off side position. And they'll get away with it all season.
Agreed. They got away with a kick chaser basically taking the fullback out of play for two years running.

I haven't watched storm/panthers yet but some interesting decisions in the early game.

A. DWZ being tackled in the air and receiving a penalty... in the first half. But I thought you could tackle a player in the air in a try scoring situation.

And one of my most queried points.

B. Kennedy shepherding the ball over the deadball line from a grubber and winning a penalty (on review) for being tackled without the ball. The NRL is clamping down on blockers for kicks, blockers for chasers, but it's okay to be a blocker along the deadball line and impede chasers that way?

Just watching the early game makes our effort look much better as far as completions, fitness and attitude goes.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

I thought DWZ made enough effort to go for the ball , Kennedy blocked the ball , therefore to me that is also playing at it in this type of scenario
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Can’t say I am a fan of the new rules. I doubt they are going to be able to be upheld all year.

Was it the Warriors Sharks game where the attacking player jumped up to knock the ball back but missed so was ruled to have impeded the catcher but essentially putting him off. There was no contact and it looked obvious the attacking player was going for a bat back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Bryce Cartwright might be finally becoming the player they all thought he was going to be.

He had a good year last year and he is having a blinder today
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The bulldogs still suck after buying half a dozen useless utility players. What a surprise.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Crichton will calling his manager from the sheds to find a loop hole in his contract
RaiderSpark
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Who are NRL players calling? Seen quite a few "hand as phone" try celebrations this round :lol:
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

President Clinton wrote: March 9, 2024, 5:51 pm The bulldogs still suck after buying half a dozen useless utility players. What a surprise.
It's a recurring theme. Every year they get talked up because of their recruits. As soon as the comp starts reality kicks in once more.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Watching Brimson play center and Lomax wing in this game does my head in.

Brimson has played at Origin standard as a fullback. I understand the center gamble but if Foran is out you have to move him to 6 surely.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 9, 2024, 6:30 pm
President Clinton wrote: March 9, 2024, 5:51 pm The bulldogs still suck after buying half a dozen useless utility players. What a surprise.
It's a recurring theme. Every year they get talked up because of their recruits. As soon as the comp starts reality kicks in once more.
Ditching Sexton for Hutchison and signing Crichton on huge money and playing Taafe at fullback is some of the craziest **** I’ve seen from a young coach.

I don’t think Crichton is a fullback but they have to try it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

julian87 wrote: March 9, 2024, 7:32 pm
Ditching Sexton for Hutchison and signing Crichton on huge money and playing Taafe at fullback is some of the craziest **** I’ve seen from a young coach.

Salmon at 13. Mann on the bench playing as a middle when their actual middles are undersized.

Absolute nonsense signing and selections. How Connor Tracey cannot get a spot in that rabble of a side is beyond me.

Also - and just quietly - Burton is overrated.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t think the young coach is making the calls.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Tracey should be their fullback. Picked up an injury in pre-season and only just made it back to the reserves list for round 1.
As you said Sexton should still be halfback. Don't doubt that will happen before round 5.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

They need a forward pack. Who is setting their platform? The one decent prop they had left because he had no help whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Their middle forwards are appalling, Saulo and Guler would be their starters and be a major upgrade
Peter Hola probably makes their 17 tbh

But yeah its the same old story with the dogs... they spend money on guys like Kikau, Crichton, JAC but dont have the halves to feed them. And they've got a hooker trying to marshall a middle forward rotation that our NSW Cup middles would roll very easily.
Its a disasterclass in team building.
I like Burton as a player and i think in the right team he'd be OK at 5/8th... a team likes our, playing basically like Wighton, he could work and have some success but it's not going to work with that team set up

agree with Julian, i dont think it will work but they kind of have to try Crichton at fullback.