All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by Bluesbrother »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:43 am
Bluesbrother wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:54 am I doubt Pezet would be going anywhere tbh. Why would the storm let him go unless it was a fair dinkum Harry Grant situation. They would have to be able to get him back at any point they like if one of their halves go down. Munster is playing injured and is far from 100%. He will need to be nursed through the season. I'd like Pezet for this season but think it's highly unlikely.

Reports of Hughes leaving Melbourne at some point in the future. Pezet is the Storm's long term halfback.
I would be more than happy to loan Pezet on a deal that allows him to go back to the Storm if they need him. Fogarty is out for 12 weeks... if we could get Pezet for even four of those weeks it would help us immensely.
They will need him - Origin period.

Kaeo Weekes has signed a 2 year deal. Flying a bloke in for 4 weeks and saying to Kaeo we don't think you're good enough isn't good management IMO. Had the potential to create unnecessary waves within the playing group.

We're not that desperate at the moment.

Additionally, this season has been accepted as a development year. Why would we fly a bloke in for 4 games in an act of desperation? This season isn't all about winning for us as a club. We aren't a premiership threat. Blind Freddy knows that.

This sort of move stinks of desperation and sums up so many fans. They say they are in for the long haul but just want a quick fix and a bandaid job so they can get the sugar hit of a win. This sort of short term thinking is what has got Tigers, Dragons and Dogs in a hole for the last decade.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 23, 2024, 12:48 pm
bonehead wrote: April 23, 2024, 9:09 am
Bluesbrother wrote:I doubt Pezet would be going anywhere tbh. Why would the storm let him go unless it was a fair dinkum Harry Grant situation. They would have to be able to get him back at any point they like if one of their halves go down. Munster is playing injured and is far from 100%. He will need to be nursed through the season. I'd like Pezet for this season but think it's highly unlikely.

Reports of Hughes leaving Melbourne at some point in the future. Pezet is the Storm's long term halfback.
exactly why it's floated as a loan

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
What happens when Munster or Hughes go down?
He goes back. Hence the loan aspect.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Brodie Croft looking for a gig also

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 23, 2024, 12:54 pm

Kaeo Weekes has signed a 2 year deal. Flying a bloke in for 4 weeks and saying to Kaeo we don't think you're good enough isn't good management IMO. Had the potential to create unnecessary waves within the playing group.

Additionally, this season has been accepted as a development year. Why would we fly a bloke in for 4 games in an act of desperation? This season isn't all about winning for us as a club. We aren't a premiership threat. Blind Freddy knows that.

This sort of move stinks of desperation and sums up so many fans. They say they are in for the long haul but just want a quick fix and a bandaid job so they can get the sugar hit of a win. This sort of short term thinking is what has got Tigers, Dragons and Dogs in a hole for the last decade.
Look I agree with you that it's unlikely for the reasons mentioned, the point was that this reasoning "they would have to be able to get him back at any point they like if one of their halves go down" shouldn't stop us from looking at our options to loan a halfback for the period Fogarty is injured. Most out and out halfbacks would be a better option than running two five-eighths. I think most games we will look worse than Parra if we run with Strange and Weekes as our halves pairing for the next 12 weeks.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 23, 2024, 2:06 pm

Look I agree with you that it's unlikely for the reasons mentioned, the point was that this reasoning "they would have to be able to get him back at any point they like if one of their halves go down" shouldn't stop us from looking at our options to loan a halfback for the period Fogarty is injured. Most out and out halfbacks would be a better option than running two five-eighths. I think most games we will look worse than Parra if we run with Strange and Weekes as our halves pairing for the next 12 weeks.
I think that's true if we try to play the same way.

With 2 running five-eighth's we will need to adjust our style to suit the players we have. We can't rely on a Fogarty style kicking game for the next 12 weeks. It's really more about that for me. The reason Parramatta have failed is because they tried to get Dylan Brown to be Mitchell Moses. Football doesn't work that way. Square peg, round hole, it doesn't fit.

In attack we should look to embrace the running games of both players and ask them to share the kicking. The defensive structure shouldn't change, they need to make their tackles. I don't think this approach will get us a premiership, but it will get us some wins.

I'd be keen on Pezet if he was ours for the 3 months without a take back option for the storm but not if he can come and go as he pleases.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 23, 2024, 3:48 pm

With 2 running five-eighth's we will need to adjust our style to suit the players we have. We can't rely on a Fogarty style kicking game for the next 12 weeks. It's really more about that for me. The reason Parramatta have failed is because they tried to get Dylan Brown to be Mitchell Moses. Football doesn't work that way. Square peg, round hole, it doesn't fit.

In attack we should look to embrace the running games of both players and ask them to share the kicking. The defensive structure shouldn't change, they need to make their tackles. I don't think this approach will get us a premiership, but it will get us some wins.

I'd be keen on Pezet if he was ours for the 3 months without a take back option for the storm but not if he can come and go as he pleases.
I don't think any club in the NRL would release their back up half to us without a clause that would allow them to go back to their club if needed
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I agree, BB. We have to accept the days of Fogs kicking us into position are gone because neither Strange nor Kaeo can replicate his form (Fogs 2023 version probably couldn’t).

Parra absolutely sucked trying to play Moses-style without him, which is insane because they have so many other attacking options with their offloading forward pack.

I’m just not confident Ricky will think like this. Under pressure, he reverts to conservative play. He’ll want to grind and make zero errors. Which is the exact wrong approach in my opinion.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:15 pm

I agree, BB. We have to accept the days of Fogs kicking us into position are gone because neither Strange nor Kaeo can replicate his form (Fogs 2023 version probably couldn’t).

Parra absolutely sucked trying to play Moses-style without him, which is insane because they have so many other attacking options with their offloading forward pack.

I’m just not confident Ricky will think like this. Under pressure, he reverts to conservative play. He’ll want to grind and make zero errors. Which is the exact wrong approach in my opinion.
It will likely take the team and the players some time to adjust too. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well we have been playing and the freedom a lot of players have been playing with this season. Something is different. I hope this continues now and else don't resort to desperation trying to grind out wins at the cost of developing our talent and thier confidence. Fingers crossed mate.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:20 pm
It will likely take the team and the players some time to adjust too. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well we have been playing and the freedom a lot of players have been playing with this season. Something is different. I hope this continues now and else don't resort to desperation trying to grind out wins at the cost of developing our talent and thier confidence. Fingers crossed mate.
Yep, agreed. There have been more genuine attacking plays and more variety in attack over the seven games this season than the whole of last year.

I think our hope is that being in a development year means we aren’t desperate to win games at all costs.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Dolphins have signed Finefeuiaki and cowboys have re-signed Luki. Not much out there as far as second rowers now.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

NoMan wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:16 pm Dolphins have signed Finefeuiaki and cowboys have re-signed Luki. Not much out there as far as second rowers now.
Must have missed this news, that's a great signing for them. Looks like Fifita is our only hope now lmfao
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
NoMan wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:16 pm Dolphins have signed Finefeuiaki and cowboys have re-signed Luki. Not much out there as far as second rowers now.
Must have missed this news, that's a great signing for them. Looks like Fifita is our only hope now lmfao
Or Schuster? Or is he seen as a Five Eight?
In Ricky We Trust
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

DT reporting Turuva will go to the Tigers. The article says they want him to play center but I doubt that works out, if he is a replacement for Tupou it's a nice upgrade anyway. Panthers reportedly only offered 350k. I wouldn't have minded the Raiders going after him at 400k - 500k but I suspect he was never leaving Western Sydney.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Brew wrote: April 24, 2024, 6:39 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Or Schuster? Or is he seen as a Five Eight?

I think he is a back rower that can play 5/8. I wouldn’t mind him at the Raiders seeing as Manly are paying him $250,000 for the next three years. Seems like a Leilua type signing.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I see the Tigpies have signed Turuva from the Panthers.

Surely we are in the market for some talent in 2025!?!?

Jack and Toots' money... Whitehead ... CHN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Dusty wrote: April 25, 2024, 4:20 pm I see the Tigpies have signed Turuva from the Panthers.

I agree. I would have a crack at a few players at least.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

We need a decent 9, not sure who's available

Someone I think we should look at is Angus Crichton. A strong, experienced edge back rower who could also cover middle. At the right price he'd be a solid pick up for 2 years

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Dusty wrote: April 25, 2024, 4:20 pm I see the Tigpies have signed Turuva from the Panthers.

Taruva and Luai combined - close to 2 million a year. That sort of business will have the Tigers competing for a spoon again. Tigers should have kept Tupou instead. Taruva looks good on the end of a well drilled, elite backline. Might be a bit different at the Tigers.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

You can't lump Turuva's contract into that. 1.3million over 3 years isn't bad in the Tigers part. The Luai price, that's a different story.

Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 25, 2024, 4:58 pm

Taruva and Luai combined - close to 2 million a year. That sort of business will have the Tigers competing for a spoon again. Tigers should have kept Tupou instead. Taruva looks good on the end of a well drilled, elite backline. Might be a bit different at the Tigers.
I doubt it. They need to keep Stefano of course and probably find another back or two but they are going to improve.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Dusty wrote: April 25, 2024, 5:14 pm You can't lump Turuva's contract into that. 1.3million over 3 years isn't bad in the Tigers part. The Luai price, that's a different story.

Yeah that’s the thing. Too much for Luai. They are going to have to get a buyer for one or two of the young halves they bought and keep Galvin and Stefano. If they can do that then that looks good for them
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Dusty wrote: April 25, 2024, 5:14 pm You can't lump Turuva's contract into that. 1.3million over 3 years isn't bad in the Tigers part. The Luai price, that's a different story.

The point I was making is that are paying ridiculous money for guys who look good at Penrith. I think they are decent players but not worth the coin. They look better than what they are because of the team they are in. Tigers will find that out the hard way. I hope I'm wrong but the Tigers just don't seem to get it.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Colk wrote: April 25, 2024, 5:35 pm

I doubt it. They need to keep Stefano of course and probably find another back or two but they are going to improve.
Can they afford Stefano after paying that sort of money for Luai and Taruva?

Galvin will need a huge upgrade. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out for them.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 25, 2024, 6:38 pm

Galvin will need a huge upgrade. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out for them.
Maybe/maybe not. There are two ways of looking at it. If they don’t get Luai or Api they would have next to no chance of keeping him or at the very least would have to maybe pay even more to keep him and Galvin.

Everything has a risk associated with it and or is relative unless you are the Roosters. For example a supporter of another club would say we have paid massive overs for Strange and probably Sanders. Now if we don’t get success in that period of time or don’t resign at the end of their contracts then they are right - we have overpaid for nothing.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Colk wrote: April 25, 2024, 6:49 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 25, 2024, 6:38 pm

Maybe/maybe not. There are two ways of looking at it. If they don’t get Luai or Api they would have next to no chance of keeping him or at the very least would have to maybe pay even more to keep him and Galvin.

Everything has a risk associated with it and or is relative unless you are the Roosters. For example a supporter of another club would say we have paid massive overs for Strange and probably Sanders. Now if we don’t get success in that period of time or don’t resign at the end of their contracts then they are right - we have overpaid for nothing.
That's true, Colk. We will have to wait and see.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Surely they must be close to their cap limit, they have some pretty decent players, and halves surplus, another year or so and they'll make the 8 now their board has improved too
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

So we currently have signed for 2025:
1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Ethan Strange
7. Ethan Sanders
8. Josh Papali’i
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies
14. Ata Mariota
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Jamal Fogarty
18. Simi Sasagi
19. CHN
20. Tom Starling
21. Emre Guler
22. Michael Asomua
23. Vena Patuki-Case
24. Kaeo Weekes

With the following off contract:
1. Trey Mooney
2. Hohepa Puru
3. Jordan Rapana
4. Zac Woolford
5. Peter Hola
6. Nick Cotric

I hope we replace Cotric and would be open to re-signing the rest. Will be interesting to see if raiders give Rapa another year, I guess it depending how he comes back from injury.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 25, 2024, 8:43 pm So we currently have signed for 2025:
1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Ethan Strange
7. Ethan Sanders
8. Josh Papali’i
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies
14. Ata Mariota
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Jamal Fogarty
18. Simi Sasagi
19. CHN
20. Tom Starling
21. Emre Guler
22. Michael Asomua
23. Vena Patuki-Case
24. Kaeo Weekes

1. Trey Mooney
2. Hohepa Puru
3. Jordan Rapana
4. Zac Woolford
5. Peter Hola
6. Nick Cotric

I hope we replace Cotric and would be open to re-signing the rest. Will be interesting to see if raiders give Rapa another year, I guess it depending how he comes back from injury.
Need a back, swap out Hola (or Mooney if he doesn’t re-sign) for a back rower and a dummy half.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'd keep the top 2 and let the other 4 walk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Colk wrote: April 25, 2024, 9:31 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 25, 2024, 8:43 pm So we currently have signed for 2025:
1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Ethan Strange
7. Ethan Sanders
8. Josh Papali’i
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies
14. Ata Mariota
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Jamal Fogarty
18. Simi Sasagi
19. CHN
20. Tom Starling
21. Emre Guler
22. Michael Asomua
23. Vena Patuki-Case
24. Kaeo Weekes

1. Trey Mooney
2. Hohepa Puru
3. Jordan Rapana
4. Zac Woolford
5. Peter Hola
6. Nick Cotric

Need a back, swap out Hola (or Mooney if he doesn’t re-sign) for a back rower and a dummy half.
That's about it. If we keep the top 2 we have 10 middles in the 30, so Hola becomes excess ( or you could get fancy and try to move Guler on instead and save $$).

You'd hate to see Raps go one year too long.

I prefer Woolford but Ricky doesn't so if we lose him we have hopes of recruiting a FG level hooker or it means Trev has somehow evolved his 20 mins game a week into starting hooker status.

Hola for an edge would give us 5 in the squad- about right as CHN is status unknown.

Cotric has been back a while and never put together a string of form that nails his spot down.

So for 2025 we need a hooker, an edge forward, a winger and a reserve grade FB coming in/up.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Unfortunately Patuki-case is out for the year again so best case I doubt he is considered for first grade until very late in the season next year. I could actually see them ending up short of props if Mooney and Hola went.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

NoMan wrote: April 26, 2024, 6:59 am Unfortunately Patuki-case is out for the year again so best case I doubt he is considered for first grade until very late in the season next year. I could actually see them ending up short of props if Mooney and Hola went.

Just to clarify I was talking about one, not two leaving. So if Mooney goes elsewhere, we keep Hola. If Mooney stays then we let go of Hola.

We need one of those prop positions to be replaced by a backrower. Heck if CHN is finished (which looks more likely than not) then we’ll need two backrowers
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Colk wrote:
NoMan wrote: April 26, 2024, 6:59 am Unfortunately Patuki-case is out for the year again so best case I doubt he is considered for first grade until very late in the season next year. I could actually see them ending up short of props if Mooney and Hola went.

Just to clarify I was talking about one, not two leaving. So if Mooney goes elsewhere, we keep Hola. If Mooney stays then we let go of Hola.

We need one of those prop positions to be replaced by a backrower. Heck if CHN is finished (which looks more likely than not) then we’ll need two backrowers
I'd let Hola go either way, we've got some handy young bucks coming through

Edrick The Entertainer
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

Dusty wrote: April 25, 2024, 4:40 pm We need a decent 9, not sure who's available

Someone I think we should look at is Angus Crichton. A strong, experienced edge back rower who could also cover middle. At the right price he'd be a solid pick up for 2 years

Gordan Chan Kum Tong is off contract this year he’s currently stuck behind Croker and Lawton at Manly he’s only 22 definitely worth looking at.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

BigPapa wrote:
Dusty wrote: April 25, 2024, 4:40 pm We need a decent 9, not sure who's available

Gordan Chan Kum Tong is off contract this year he’s currently stuck behind Croker and Lawton at Manly he’s only 22 definitely worth looking at.
Lawton is off to the Cowboys in 2025 I believe. Wouldn't imagine they'd let him go as well.