Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by NoMan »

If he was fit and gave a stuff I would play him on the edge over Hosking. Even if they did role the dice on him though he is at least a dozen games away from match fitness and that is based on him applying himself, which he has never done. He is Owen Craigie mk 2 at this point.
Last edited by NoMan on April 11, 2024, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Schuster reportedly signed a $2.4 million 3 year contract extension in June which included a clause that he had to stay below a certain weight.

He couldn't even do that for 9 months.

How dumb are some of these players?

Says a lot about his attitude to work.

That's why I'm surprised Neeeegz wants us to sign Latrell Mitchell.

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

PerthRaider86 wrote: April 11, 2024, 9:12 am
Bluesbrother wrote: April 10, 2024, 7:27 pm I'd take Schuster in a heartbeat. Needs to be some tight parameters in place and the right price but his upside is greater than any other second rower available and probably most in the competition. His ball playing and skill is off the charts.

I'd be pretty confident that guys like Papalii and Tapine could mentor him and shape him into a very good player.
Where does he fit into our side? Who are you dropping for him?

No thanks, the future is bright here. we dont need him
Fill the hole left by EW and CHN. Upside is huge. Who else is on the market?

Hudson Young and Hosking have a lot of effort but don't have the skills of Schuster. The guy is 22.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Can't deny the kid has talent but I get the impression that he is a bit entitled, and our recent acquisitions suggest that we're more interested in signing blokes who are workers both off and on the field. I think it's a strategy that is working and is one we should persevere with
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'd be willing to take a risk on Schuster as well at the right price, say $300,000 to $400,000 with Manly chipping in the rest. Parameters built into his contract. He is only young and has a lot of upside. Joey Leilua was a big risk and lazy before he joined us. Just don't make the no look pass into a no look grab for KFC.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:26 pm Schuster reportedly signed a $2.4 million 3 year contract extension in June which included a clause that he had to stay below a certain weight.

What ?
Prove I said that or EDIT
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 10, 2024, 10:30 pm
Neeeegz wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 9, 2024, 9:35 pm How about Latrell Mitchell? He could be on the market soon. I think we might even be able to entice Wighton back of we sign the Trell.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
So that's a yes from Neeeeeegz.

Umm.
No. Just to confirm
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

He should never have gone to fullback. That was Bennett who did that first right? I know Gould said there were signs of a personality issue with Latrell in his early Roosters days, but I don't think it would have become a tipping point problem if he wasn't in a key position at a key club. Eg he wouldn't be blamed for a string of losses, if he was at centre

Some players just aren't up to the pressure cooker of being in that key position. Fullback is basically like halfback in that sense now. "Full time farmer, part time footy player"... nothing wrong with that at all, but better to do it from centre
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahaha is Neeeegz really suggesting we should go after Latrell Mitchell?

Jesus, some people really have no idea, do they?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Bennett is credited for being a great coach but he played both Adam Doueihi and Latrell at FB when both were unsuited. Doueihi always had a mistake in him and wasn't fast. Latrell is a much better centre and played his best football there for the Roosters. He can play FB, but just doesn't have the work rate. The guy doesn't even follow the play waiting for an offload like Edwards, Tedesco, Papenhuyzen and Turbo.

Blake Taaffe has been the best FB for Souths in the last few years.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 11, 2024, 2:45 pm I'd be willing to take a risk on Schuster as well at the right price, say $300,000 to $400,000 with Manly chipping in the rest. Parameters built into his contract. He is only young and has a lot of upside. Joey Leilua was a big risk and lazy before he joined us. Just don't make the no look pass into a no look grab for KFC.
Agreed.

Anthony Seibold doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to getting the best from his players.

Often, not just in football, when it comes to people not looking after themselves there is a lot of variables. With the right environment Schuster has the upside we need. His ball playing would make our edges look a lot better.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

There are any number of reasons that Schuster is not what we need, however I have seen some talk that he was best mates with the young Manly player that passed away at training in 2020. He was also required as a witness at the inquest into this incident over the off season (as recently as February this year). Glad to read Manly have given him some leave and are providing support. Early 20s can be rough.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Conor wrote: April 11, 2024, 5:26 pm There are any number of reasons that Schuster is not what we need, however I have seen some talk that he was best mates with the young Manly player that passed away at training in 2020. He was also required as a witness at the inquest into this incident over the off season (as recently as February this year). Glad to read Manly have given him some leave and are providing support. Early 20s can be rough.
Keith Titmuss?

That was tragic. Like Kato Oteo (sp?)
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bum.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

T_R wrote:Redemption story opportunity! We haven't had a good one since Todd Carney was changing car tyres.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Or since Josh Dugan was building houses for the poor (AKA Josh rocks up to a building site for five minutes and gets a photo pushing a wheelbarrow)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Neeeegz wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:26 pm Schuster reportedly signed a $2.4 million 3 year contract extension in June which included a clause that he had to stay below a certain weight.

What ?
OK, settle down. Just mucking around.

I was joking about signing Mitchell and Wighton and you thought I was serious, so I just ran with it.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 11, 2024, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Nickman wrote: April 11, 2024, 3:20 pm Hahahaha is Neeeegz really suggesting we should go after Latrell Mitchell?

I didn't say it, I said it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. And yes. You do have no idea
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:
T_R wrote:Redemption story opportunity! We haven't had a good one since Todd Carney was changing car tyres.

Or since Josh Dugan was building houses for the poor (AKA Josh rocks up to a building site for five minutes and gets a photo pushing a wheelbarrow)
Surprised he didn’t get injured doing that
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 11, 2024, 6:42 pm
Neeeegz wrote:

What ?
OK, settle down. Just mucking around.

I was joking about signing Mitchell and Wighton and you thought I was serious.

To the point I would burn hq to the ground if we signed either of them
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Conor wrote: April 11, 2024, 5:26 pm There are any number of reasons that Schuster is not what we need, however I have seen some talk that he was best mates with the young Manly player that passed away at training in 2020. He was also required as a witness at the inquest into this incident over the off season (as recently as February this year). Glad to read Manly have given him some leave and are providing support. Early 20s can be rough.
Absolutely. There's likely a lot more to the story. For Rugby League's sake I hope he gets back to playing quality football in the NRL.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

dubby wrote:
Keith Titmuss?

That was tragic. Like Kato Oteo (sp?)
Yes, he was 20 or so, heat related, very much like Kato. Awful situation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 11, 2024, 6:43 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 11, 2024, 3:20 pm Hahahaha is Neeeegz really suggesting we should go after Latrell Mitchell?

I didn't say it, I said it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. And yes. You do have no idea
All right, all right, settle down. I couldn't care less that you want to sign Mitchell, to be perfectly honest.

People have suggested worse ideas over the years. Latrell isn't exactly my cup of tea, and I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for the club, but hey... you do you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

reptar wrote:
BJ wrote:

He did get injured Reptar, love your insight, but I note he miraculously recovered 5 minutes later.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:
reptar wrote:
BJ wrote:

He did get injured Reptar, love your insight, but I note he miraculously recovered 5 minutes later.
Must have been that intermittent neck injury.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart not interested in Josh Schuster

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart isn't particularly interested in bringing wantaway Manly second-rower Josh Schuster to Canberra.

"I've heard all of that. I really haven't taken any notice," Stuart said. "I don't even know the situation is - whether he's been released or if they've paid him out. I wouldn't have a clue."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: April 15, 2024, 4:30 am Ricky Stuart not interested in Josh Schuster

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart isn't particularly interested in bringing wantaway Manly second-rower Josh Schuster to Canberra.

"I've heard all of that. I really haven't taken any notice," Stuart said. "I don't even know the situation is - whether he's been released or if they've paid him out. I wouldn't have a clue."

This article states there is an offer on the table for Mooney but he wants to see where he is in the pecking order before signing... :doubt:
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: April 15, 2024, 4:30 am Ricky Stuart not interested in Josh Schuster

Ricky definitely not ruling out Schuster based on his comments there.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 15, 2024, 11:44 am

This article states there is an offer on the table for Mooney but he wants to see where he is in the pecking order before signing... :doubt:
Which is fair enough isn't it? He's 6th prop at this club - at best.
happymum
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: ricky stuart

Post by happymum »

Some of the cup boys are going hard and look like they are ready to step up. I wouldn't get too excited about going to market. Cook has his game together. The backs are coming in for tough runs and getting involved at every opportunity. I don't know how Trevilyan found himself on the bench in reserve grade but after Sunday we now know he can kick and has pace and I haven't seen a leap like that one to take a short kick off for a long time. He's played some AFL by the look of it. He's certainly not kicking stones. He's been hiding some good skills, or been told not to use them. His work in traffic is good too. But the most noticeable thing is he seems to be in the right place at the right time every time. And how good is Puru. We need to find a spot for him.
Ray170
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Ray170 »

Haha. You can't say that about Trevilyan. Raidernation will get you.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Trevilyan just needs time. He has had a very disrupted start to his career and if all he "achieves" is getting through this year and the next pre-season without a major injury he's going to take a massive leap forward in 2025.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I'm a big fan of Trev but he isn't developing much playing 15 minutes a week. Hope I am wrong but I don't have huge hopes of him making it to the NRL at the Raiders.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Do we have room in the cap to sign an edge forward for this season ?

What's Schuster doing ? Manly should have paid the bulk of his salary by now. Can someone find him from a Northern beaches McDonald's and get him to meet with Ricky?

Hosking > Young > Ata > Simi > Whitehead
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Schuster signing should be something we're seriously considering. The news of Hosking out is concerning. We've got nothing to lose on a guy like Schuster and everything to gain. Get on the phone Don.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:55 pm The Schuster signing should be something we're seriously considering. The news of Hosking out is concerning. We've got nothing to lose on a guy like Schuster and everything to gain. Get on the phone Don.
The ramp is out for David.

He’s yet to decide on his future.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: