Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Moses was a passenger last night , suffered a groin injury.
Sanders may be next in line and could play in round 2
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 10, 2024, 6:23 am Moses was a passenger last night , suffered a groin injury.
Sanders may be next in line and could play in round 2
League players are notorious for carrying and playing through groin injuries. And if Moses was out they’d play Asi. Not Sanders after 2 games of senior football.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"A lot of that was sort of built up in the media, but happy to stay at Parra this year, happy behind the boys and just happy to learn more and get my head down," Sanders said.

"Most of it was all bloody media buildup, so happy to stay at Parra and sort of knuckle down and love the boys and the coach and stuff."

"Everything," he said when asked about what the club means to him.

"My dad supports Parramatta, and he sort of put a Parra jersey on me since I can remember. It means the world to me."

"Mitchie's been unreal," he added.

"I sort of try and double up with Mitchie and ask him as much as I can and try and learn from him, especially his kicking game and his chat and whatever else.

"It's been unreal."

"Probably the first goal for me is to play (NSW) Cup. I haven't played this NSW Cup yet, so that's probably the first goal.

"Then sort of see how I go and where I'm at and then go from there."

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/young-gun-et ... re-206137/

So this is what he said after the first trial. They already seem to have convinced him that he should stay in 2024. They’re pulling at the heartstrings with family connections to the Eels. They’re telling him he needs to pay New South Wales Cup first. Don’t make a decision too early. In the meantime, you can learn from a great halfback in Mitchell Moses.

So that’s the sell that’s currently going on. It’s a bit worrying. Hope that’s not reading too much into it.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

"A lot of that was sort of built up in the media, but happy to stay at Parra this year, happy behind the boys and just happy to learn more and get my head down,"

I read this as more putting a positive spin on them not letting him go early.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I don’t think he plays first grade over Asi. They would shift Brown to halfback and out Asi to 5/8 before bringing Sanders in imo.

I thought the article was namely in reference to wanting out for 2024 and more to the point, Brad Arthur’s article in the weeks prior to that also pointed towards the club conceding he leaves in 2025 but stays for 2024.

We’ll find out week commencing 15 April I guess.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Sanders is a good player. But he is a 19 year old halfback playing NSW cup. If we miss him, we identify someone else and we get them. The strategy remains the same.

I'm sceptical that we can get a halfback, a fullback and a five-eighth from the 1 age group of NSW and turn them into elite NRL players.

If we land Sanders ill be happy but if we don't there is plenty more talent around. Outside of Nathan Cleary, the last 10-15 seasons it's Queensland who have produced the best halves/creative players. I'd be looking at what is coming through their pathways.
andymull72
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by andymull72 »

Well I was at the Dolphin v Cowboys game today and well I was like EDIT. Seeing Luki in person Damm that kid can play. His attack and defence were awesome.If the Raiders can make a play at him GET him in green
Believe you must yes Believe
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 10, 2024, 9:00 am "A lot of that was sort of built up in the media, but happy to stay at Parra this year, happy behind the boys and just happy to learn more and get my head down," Sanders said.

"Most of it was all bloody media buildup, so happy to stay at Parra and sort of knuckle down and love the boys and the coach and stuff."

"My dad supports Parramatta, and he sort of put a Parra jersey on me since I can remember. It means the world to me."

"I sort of try and double up with Mitchie and ask him as much as I can and try and learn from him, especially his kicking game and his chat and whatever else.

"It's been unreal."

"Probably the first goal for me is to play (NSW) Cup. I haven't played this NSW Cup yet, so that's probably the first goal.

So this is what he said after the first trial. They already seem to have convinced him that he should stay in 2024. They’re pulling at the heartstrings with family connections to the Eels. They’re telling him he needs to pay New South Wales Cup first. Don’t make a decision too early. In the meantime, you can learn from a great halfback in Mitchell Moses.

So that’s the sell that’s currently going on. It’s a bit worrying. Hope that’s not reading too much into it.
I was informed by someone on tbe weekend who purported to know for a fact not as a rumour that Sanders signed with us for 550k.

That sounds like a lot but it makes sense to me as the sort of Godfather offer that would be hard to turn down at the best of times, let alone if you have a Brown/Moses halves pairing blocking your path for the next 5+ years.

To be offered a quarter of a mil more than anyone else can offer you plus the guarantee of a starting 7 jersey is an entirely logical reason as to why he would have signed for us.

I don’t think a few heartstring pulls regaling Ethan about the good old days of 1986 will do much to change that.
Up The Milk
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:03 am
greeneyed wrote: March 10, 2024, 9:00 am "A lot of that was sort of built up in the media, but happy to stay at Parra this year, happy behind the boys and just happy to learn more and get my head down," Sanders said.

"It's been unreal."

I was informed by someone on tbe weekend who purported to know for a fact not as a rumour that Sanders signed with us for 550k.

That sounds like a lot but it makes sense to me as the sort of Godfather offer that would be hard to turn down at the best of times, let alone if you have a Brown/Moses halves pairing blocking your path for the next 5+ years.

To be offered a quarter of a mil more than anyone else can offer you plus the guarantee of a starting 7 jersey is an entirely logical reason as to why he would have signed for us.

I don’t think a few heartstring pulls regaling Ethan about the good old days of 1986 will do much to change that.
Good to hear. Let's hope it's a Smith, Slater, Cronk type of combination of Stewart, Strange and Sanders.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:03 am I was informed by someone on tbe weekend who purported to know for a fact not as a rumour that Sanders signed with us for 550k
That’s interesting, as I thought we couldn’t sign him until after round 6 as he’s on contract at Parra still
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:03 am

"It's been unreal."

That’s a bit more than I anticipated it being but not surprised
The club is going to make an offer that no one else could or frankly should match
That’s insane money to throw a kid like that with such little proven ability at first grade level and yet I think paying over and above to get talent like him in the door is exactly what we must do

If the kid winds up a star halfback, no one will give a **** that we over paid for him early and if he stinks, we might be **** anyways and 500k contract isn’t the boondoggle it once given the way the cap is increasing… by 2026-27 when we might regret that contact the cap might be close to 15m
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Just really need to add a solid hooker to the future. Hopefully Trevelyn can have a good year this year.

I am frustrated that we have 4 hookers on the books and as a result we have someone who we are trying to develop playing off the bench in Cup behind Woolford who they are trying to get a lot of minutes into all while Levi is getting first crack.

Trevelyn got 18 minutes for 14 tackles and a 12m run. Thats not going to be doing him any favours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I don’t mind that Godfather offer at all. The money has to be used, so let’s gamble on the best young halfback going around.

I think Sanders is the real deal but suspect it might take longer for him to get there than some of us hope (or are expecting).
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

think we offered something similar to get Tapine from Newcastle.
It is what it is for the Raiders. no one else is taking our money, established top tier halves would knock us back even if we doubled that offer .
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

The amount to Sanders does appear to be excessive but I don't mind it - it's essentially what Newcastle did to entice Ponga after he had played two games for Nth Qld, even more. Joseph Sua'ali'i was offered more amounts at Souths and Roosters. We need to be signing them young to get them in. Wests betting on the Fainu brothers in the same way.

What I really want to see is us targeting the UK market again for a hooker or second row edge forward along the lines of Kai Pearce Paul, who looks like a gun for the Knights. He looks dangerous every time he runs the ball attracting defenders and can get an offload away. Hastings' try was the result of the attention he attracted. Much better than Lachlan Fitzgibbon (Lucas is even better than him).
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Finchy wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:03 am I was informed by someone on tbe weekend who purported to know for a fact not as a rumour that Sanders signed with us for 550k
That’s interesting, as I thought we couldn’t sign him until after round 6 as he’s on contract at Parra still
they changed the rules when the new EBA came out which was between him signing with us and registering a contract

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

The reality is, there are very few NRL halfbacks I would try and target let alone halfbacks looking to leave their respective clubs and would choose to come to Canberra over other clubs.

Whether or not the Sanders signing works out, it’s the right move imo. We need to target youth and something like this doesn’t ruin our salary cap for years to come either - unlike signing a halfback for $1.1m etc. I think the Wests Tigers Luai signing will fail.

In saying that, he looks the goods so it’s a calculated risk and you can’t ask for much more than that. He has only played one game of NSW cup to date and I still don’t think there is anyone else we should be realistically targeting above him. Fogarty is already a top 8-9 NRL halfback imo and the fact we got a club only option for 2026 works extremely well in the clubs favour.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote:
Finchy wrote:
they changed the rules when the new EBA came out which was between him signing with us and registering a contract

Exactly.

Based on everything I've heard you can almost lock it in for us.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:36 am I don’t mind that Godfather offer at all. The money has to be used, so let’s gamble on the best young halfback going around.

I think Sanders is the real deal but suspect it might take longer for him to get there than some of us hope (or are expecting).
Yeah, if he's going to be a starting FG half in a season or two then that's what FG halves get paid. It's a pretty cheap FG half actually. Like others say we need to meet the cap anyway and have a bit of space.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

pay overs for the best juniors, it's a tried and tested formula

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We should be all up in those negotiations
2025 bringing in Kuli and Sanders
That’d have me very excited
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I hope we are
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 4:58 pm

If we aren't, I honestly want to know what our talent evaluation team (Ricky Stuart) see - or don't see - in him. Everything I've heard about him behind the scenes indicates he almost goes too hard in training.

I see him as a can't miss prospect to be honest.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 4:58 pm

I'd be disappointed if we didn't have a crack. He'd be a weapon for us.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Parra knocked back by dragons to get zak lomax . If they want an outside back , we could give them hoppa . But only if they give up sanders of course
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

"Raiders hooker Owen Pattie had a standout performance in the club's round one win, having a hand in all five tries to lead the side to victory."

From the Raiders Jersey Flegg match report. Could he be the answer to our hooking woes?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 12, 2024, 1:20 pm "Raiders hooker Owen Pattie had a standout performance in the club's round one win, having a hand in all five tries to lead the side to victory."

From the raiders Jersey Flegg match report. Could he be the answer to our hooking woes?
He’s one of a number of top hookers coming through. Toby Thorburn I’m not so sure about, but he’s ahead of Pattie in age group. Then there’s also Xavier Cacciotti, Ethan Alaia (playing in the halves there are so many hookers) and Mitch Brophy. More than one of them has the potential to be an NRL player.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

daley6 wrote: March 12, 2024, 1:15 pm Parra knocked back by dragons to get zak lomax . If they want an outside back , we could give them hoppa . But only if they give up sanders of course
Didn’t Parra want HSS and we knocked it on the head late last year?

Wouldn’t help with the Sanders situation.

They’d more likely want Savage for Sanders, I would imagine.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Their board vetoed it I'm pretty sure

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

-TW- wrote:Their board vetoed it I'm pretty sure

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I think once he has officially signed and they have no future with him they might change their mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Would think if that kind of deal is back on the table it'd be for Cotric since he's not contracted for next year and doesn't seem to be in the clubs plans

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: March 12, 2024, 1:49 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 12, 2024, 1:20 pm "Raiders hooker Owen Pattie had a standout performance in the club's round one win, having a hand in all five tries to lead the side to victory."

From the raiders Jersey Flegg match report. Could he be the answer to our hooking woes?
He’s one of a number of top hookers coming through. Toby Thorburn I’m not so sure about, but he’s ahead of Pattie in age group. Then there’s also Xavier Cacciotti, Ethan Alaia (playing in the halves there are so many hookers) and Mitch Brophy. More than one of them has the potential to be an NRL player.
Thanks, GE. It sounds promising.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

From the Raiders Jersey Flegg match report. Could he be the answer to our hooking woes?
Owen Pattie was playing SG Ball U/19 competition last year and is in Jersey Flegg U/21 competition this year so he is likely to be 19 years of age. He is a very good prospect, but playing in the 9 he will be defending against the biggest/hardest forwards in the NRL. I'm glad the Raiders are giving him a couple more development years before throwing him in. A couple of years behind him in age is Mitchell Brophy. His passing game to both sides is just sensational. Spiral fast and accurate. Really looking forward to where these two may be in say 5 years.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t rate him as highly as others but there could be an opportunity to snake Latu Fainu and have an each way bet on the 2 NSW under 20s halves from last season I reckon.

Scott Fulton got the ass from Tigers (signed all 3 of the brothers there). He’s been jumped by Galvin and seems the 4th choice half at Wests. And will remain that way next year when Luai replaces Sezer. You’d think Sullivan gets afforded plenty of opportunities having been signed for 500k too

Reports were they gave him a ridiculous contract (similar to Sullivan) so if he doesn’t sniff first grade he’s bit of a salary cap issue for them as well.

Could all be hot air, he may be their #6 by round 6 but it’s an interesting situation in the context of Fulton and Luai happening post his signing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

If Sanders fell through it would make sense, but I'd prefer the Colonel as it stands.