Canberra Raiders miss out on signing a second-row target Luciano Leilua

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Canberra Raiders miss out on signing a second-row target Luciano Leilua

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Word on the street is Luciana Leilua has requested a release from cowboys presumably to join dragons.

Who knows. Maybe we have been in discussions in the background but I doubt it.

Cowboys star Luciano Leilua requests immediate release, tipped to join Dragons

Luciano Leilua could make a shock return to St George Illawarra with the back-rower wanting out of his North Queensland contract. Leilua has formally asked for an immediate release and is keen on returning to his former club. At least one another club are also keen on signing the Samoan back-rower.

If Leilua does depart it will free up some much needed salary cap space for North Queensland as they look to try to retain boom youngsters Helium Luki and Kulikefu Finefeuiaki.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b7aefa4a04
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by Coastalraider »

Please…. Please please please…
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Why would anyone want him, he's not that good
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Apparently the second club is a Sydney club. Good outcome for Cowboys, all four of them are good players but I have Luciana as 4/4.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 13, 2024, 1:36 pm Apparently the second club is a Sydney club. Good outcome for Cowboys, all four of them are good players but I have Luciana as 4/4.
And Hosking would be 5/5. Really poor outcome for the Raiders if we've been looking for a "point of difference" second rower and Hosking is all we get when all's said and done.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Not my favourite of those cowboys players but if that’s the one that has shaken free the club has to at least put their hat in the ring

LL, Young, Hosking would be a very respectable unit in 2024-25
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I'd take him based on his playing ability but he seems a bit of a mess off field. In court as early as last week. We don't need dramas around young kids coming through. If it was 2019/20 and we were on tilt for a premiership he would be a handy player to add to a senior group but I dont think Canberra is the right place for him right now. I'd rather go hard for one of thier other backrowers with a less colourful off field record. They will still struggle to keep the three others even if Luciano departs. There is a lot of money around for good edge forwards in the current market and the Cowboys are heavily invested in other areas.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Agree. Red flags everywhere. The Raiders should be focussed on the other Cowboys second rowers. But the Cowboys also know that, that’s why they’re releasing Leilua.
Ben & Sev Love Milk
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

Agree , I don’t think he is a great fit.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I hope the Raiders are not the 'other' club. We have one 'top 30' place left and I would hang on to it until after Round 6 to see what happens with the Colonel.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 13, 2024, 1:10 pm Word on the street is Luciana Leilua has requested a release from cowboys presumably to join dragons.

Who knows. Maybe we have been in discussions in the background but I doubt it.

Cowboys star Luciano Leilua requests immediate release, tipped to join Dragons

Luciano Leilua could make a shock return to St George Illawarra with the back-rower wanting out of his North Queensland contract. Leilua has formally asked for an immediate release and is keen on returning to his former club. At least one another club are also keen on signing the Samoan back-rower.

If Leilua does depart it will free up some much needed salary cap space for North Queensland as they look to try to retain boom youngsters Helium Luki and Kulikefu Finefeuiaki.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b7aefa4a04
Important bits IMO:

If the Dragons decide to sign Leilua, they will have to release at least one player from their current roster given they already have 30 contracted.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Leilua is keen to wear the Red V again however there is at least one other club who is chasing the 27-year-old.

I think we are the other side, coz we sniffed around previously.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

RedRaider wrote: February 13, 2024, 11:17 pm I hope the Raiders are not the 'other' club. We have one 'top 30' place left and I would hang on to it until after Round 6 to see what happens with the Colonel.
The cap is calculated based on your top 30 highest paid players at the end of the year, so there is flexibility to move players in and out until the top 30 deadline in June.

I doubt he comes early without a swap deal anyway.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

According to Brent Read, the Raiders are “monitoring the situation” in respect of Luciana Leilua. They approached Cowboys last year about him but they said no - seems as if he wants to go to Dragons anyway. They have had advanced discussions with him whereas we haven’t spoken to him. Apparently he wants four years at $900k which is too much.

AUDIO: https://www.listnr.com/podcasts/triple- ... sfm3W--ZAI
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I won't be too disappointed with missing out on Leilua but I definitely would have preferred him over Hosking.

The issue is most of the high quality potential recruits in the 2024 market have been signed to new contracts now. Of second row options, there's Finefeuiaki and Luki left. If Leilua goes to Dragons I think Cowboys will move to extend those two and we then miss out on our strike second rower we're said to be targeting.

There aren't too many players left that would be a significant upgrade to our squad... maybe a couple of outside backs and Chan Kum Tong at 9 that I'd be interested in but it's slim pickings.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Dragons have to throw ridiculous money at a player to land them. Therefore that will drive up the market.
4 years 900k they can have him.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Why the hell haven’t we reached out to Finefeuiaki or Luki is beyond me
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 15, 2024, 3:23 pm Why the hell haven’t we reached out to Finefeuiaki or Luki is beyond me
I think you'll find we did.
We also asked about LL.
Cowboys didn't want to make a decision, as all 4 are very good.
LL made it for them.
They'll keep they younger 3.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Matt wrote: February 15, 2024, 3:37 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 15, 2024, 3:23 pm Why the hell haven’t we reached out to Finefeuiaki or Luki is beyond me
We also asked about LL.
LL made it for them.
Think it would be a very big coincidence LL asking for a release when they Cowboys are trying to free up $ to retain the other two back rowers,
I think its far more likely the Cowboys indicated to LL that there wasn't another deal for him in the future and gave him premission to negotiate (hence our discussions with a guy still on contract)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: February 15, 2024, 3:51 pm
Matt wrote: February 15, 2024, 3:37 pm
We also asked about LL.
LL made it for them.
Think it would be a very big coincidence LL asking for a release when they Cowboys are trying to free up $ to retain the other two back rowers,
I think its far more likely the Cowboys indicated to LL that there wasn't another deal for him in the future and gave him premission to negotiate (hence our discussions with a guy still on contract)
That's not that talk outta cows. But it's a feasible answer.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

$900K for Luciano - surely he and his management are taking the mickey. I truly hope we aren't that dumb.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders won’t pay $900k for Luciano Leilua, but the Dragons will. That’s a good outcome all round.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Raiders_Pat wrote: February 15, 2024, 2:11 pm I won't be too disappointed with missing out on Leilua but I definitely would have preferred him over Hosking.

The issue is most of the high quality potential recruits in the 2024 market have been signed to new contracts now. Of second row options, there's Finefeuiaki and Luki left. If Leilua goes to Dragons I think Cowboys will move to extend those two and we then miss out on our strike second rower we're said to be targeting.

There aren't too many players left that would be a significant upgrade to our squad... maybe a couple of outside backs and Chan Kum Tong at 9 that I'd be interested in but it's slim pickings.
A year is a long time and a lot can happen. A number of our recent recruits haven't been off contract at the time of signing. As seen in this case, on the eve of the season a very good player is asking for a release. We've got money for a very good player. It's no different to buying a house. Be in a good position and wait for the right place to come up, when you have money you have options to restructure and make a play. Pretty confident we are moving in a position direction with our roster. Just need to see what becomes available. Enviably someone who fits our criteria will enter the market and we will make a play. As we have done over a number of years now.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Brent Read suggesting the club may have its 1000th crack at David Fifita as he has until rd 10 to activate his clause to stay on the GC.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/lucia ... 8fb276c513
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Flogging a dead horse
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah the 900k p.a cost is not something i think the club should do. For that kind of money you want a better player the LL is.
This giant hole at edge forward is proving extremely hard to fill.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

James Hooper reporting Raiders are in the box seat to sign Luciano Leilua…

Shock frontrunner emerges in race to sign Luciano Leilua as Dragons dealt 11th hour blow

THE Canberra Raiders have emerged as a left field contender to the land the signature of North Queensland Cowboy Luciano Leilua. Earlier in the week it was St George Illawarra who appeared in the box seat to sign Leilua effective immediately on a three-year deal. However Canberra have discreetly made an approach after being interested in Leilua for the past six months.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c504172c8c

Canberra Raiders express interest in signing Luciano Leilua but baulk at $900K price tag

Canberra has emerged as a potential suitor for North Queensland’s Luciano Leilua despite Leilua’s interest in returning to his former side St George Illawarra. The Dragons have also indicated they are keen but have rejected his $900,000 price tag.

The Raiders have some salary cap space but are still awaiting final clearance on the future of Corey Harawira-Naera who may be forced to medically retire. That would free up about $650,000 from the Raiders’ salary cap.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... cace7826a6

Luciano Leilua reportedly wants $3.6m to leave North Queensland: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/lucia ... 8fb276c513
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

There might be some face saving rumours but I think someone will give LL the hint he aint getting 900k, especially with Fifita back on the market.

*edit* maybe I spoke too soon :lol:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Ha Ha poor Dragons if we pull this off.

Poor us if he doesn't live up to the price tag.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

I think this is an indication of CHN not returning to the NRL tbh. I also don’t think raiders would offer him $900k at all… we re-signed Joseph Tapine for less at his peak.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Reckon the $900k figure is coming from LL's management. Doubtful any club is offering quite that much. His current deal is around $700k and I expect the Cowboys have told him they won't be extending him. Means his next contract will be his last shot at big money. I think realistically he'll get a longer deal around his current price tag from a new club.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

If there is no other second rower the Cows are looking to offload then yeah sure send him this way.

Hopefully it isn't big money.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Apparently he had a ratchet clause so is on 900k now and want's the same to leave. To me 3m over 4 years would be more realistic.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Not surprised by that at all
I had heard last year the raiders were pushing very hard to get LL here before the deadline. Didnt end up happening, but its been reported now that my mail on that was spot on.
So the fact we're consistently linked with him tells me the club really rates him as a player.

From a roster construction POV... we're looking at having 2 halves (Strange, Sanders) and a fullback (Chev) who for the next 2-3 years as they get established, we're not going to be paying near the top of the market for... and the benefit of that is that you can afford to spend a little extra to improve the infrastructure around them so they've got quality players around them to help them grow and mature into the best players they can be

So, i dont mind overpaying for a quality player, think that suits where our roster is heading. Is LL the perfect fit for that? I'm not sold on that myself but i'd get it. If the club rates him highly and he's obtainable, not letting perfect be the enemy of good is an understandable position for the club
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:53 am Not surprised by that at all
I had heard last year the raiders were pushing very hard to get LL here before the deadline. Didnt end up happening, but its been reported now that my mail on that was spot on.
So the fact we're consistently linked with him tells me the club really rates him as a player.

From a roster construction POV... we're looking at having 2 halves (Strange, Sanders) and a fullback (Chev) who for the next 2-3 years as they get established, we're not going to be paying near the top of the market for... and the benefit of that is that you can afford to spend a little extra to improve the infrastructure around them so they've got quality players around them to help them grow and mature into the best players they can be

So, i dont mind overpaying for a quality player, think that suits where our roster is heading. Is LL the perfect fit for that? I'm not sold on that myself but i'd get it. If the club rates him highly and he's obtainable, not letting perfect be the enemy of good is an understandable position for the club
i think it also tells you the Cowboys have never completely shut the door on releasing LL to free up cash for the likes of Luki, Finefueaki, Cotter and Dearden etc, i always thought he was someone they'd look to let go with cheaper options at the ready to fill his spot.

100%, not perfect but if perfect exists he probably isn't coming to canberra. i dont think LL is getting 900k from anyone but you do have to remember the rise in the cap, its equivalent to him being on 750K in 2023, over paid but i'm sure there's far worse contracts floating around, from memory it was reported CHN was on 650K so it could end up not costing us a heap more and i'm not sure theres too many other options available right now.
I also like the idea of having a guy like LL next to a young half and i think he's also a good fit with Young as our other starting edge, is a better metre eater than Hudson and is also more of a physical presence
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I’d love another Leilua at this club