All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders express interest in Cowboys forward Luciano Leilua

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: February 16, 2024, 1:16 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 16, 2024, 1:07 pm We can't really have a crack until we know the outcome of CHN . This has to put the Dragons in the box seat to get LL signature.
i dont think that's necessarily true
HSS, Morkos, Frawley, Croker, Wighton, Schneider OUT
Weekes, Hoskings, Sasagi, Smithies coming IN

I think we've got some money to spend, and remember if we got him this year, he's been paid from Nov - Feb by the Cowboys already
1/3rd of his salary for 2024 already paid out. So on 900k, only 600k of that is left outstanding this year
I've been scratching my head to figure out how/who we spent all that Croker/Wighton cap space on if it wasn't needless "everybody gets a car" upgrades that do nothing to improve the squad. (spend more on same is not as good as- spend same get more)

Agree on the "not perfect but good" aspect. I'd also not mind seeing the ruthless streak in buying Hoskings- yeah ok. And then not just being a recruit guaranteeing you a spot, but also recruiting the best player we possibly can and seeing who wins. If LL goes a bit latter BJ and off track, great we have Hosking as a model pro or bench option.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Young and Horse would've got 300k+ extra on their old deals at least. Guler probably went up to 500-600k. Even Saulo would've doubled his deal. Croker going was probably already factored in to deals done previous years and the rest who left were minimum type players. I doubt they have as much sitting around as you would think.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Look, ive seen this club do that kind of thing many times before so nothing would shock me
but if we're paying Guler 500-600k and doubling Saulo's salary then we aint go a prayer, man.

Im not saying we have 1-1.5m sitting around but i do think we'll have the 600k to add LL to the squad for the rest of 2024 if he wants to be here.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He’d be almost the perfect second rower to play on Fogarty’s side. There’s no point having a non creative line runner outside of a half with no ball playing ability.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

I don't see the raiders moving whitehead to reserves to bring in LL. Maybe the club has decided to be more ruthless but I really don't see it.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Just 12 months ago Stick moved Toots to cup so we could have HSS in the lineup - and toots holds a MUCH higher status around the raiders than Smelly does.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Also, credit where it’s due… if the raiders pull this off (I think he goes to dragons - he was there a few days ago), in the space of 6 about weeks they recruited Zac Hosking and Luciano Leilua in a position they had practically zero depth in. Couldn’t ask for much more tbh.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Could be an article to put pressure on David Fifita, I reckon that’s who they really want! No way they’re paying 900k for LL.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

jimmy82 wrote: February 17, 2024, 11:39 am Could be an article to put pressure on David Fifita, I reckon that’s who they really want! No way they’re paying 900k for LL.
How does it apply pressure to Fifita?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Getting Fafita now would be the equivalent of actually marrying the person you did a deal with that said ‘if we get to 40 and we are still single’….

After this many rounds of trying he clearly doesn’t want to be here.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: February 17, 2024, 12:13 pm Getting Fafita now would be the equivalent of actually marrying the person you did a deal with that said ‘if we get to 40 and we are still single’….

After this many rounds of trying he clearly doesn’t want to be here.
I don’t understand the link to Fifita. We tried for him twice and it didn’t happen. Are we thinking by suggesting we are interested in LL he will get jealous and reconsider or something?
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

He still has the get out clause in his contract. Don’t think he himself knows for sure where he wants to be. If they buy LL that’s their marquee signing in the back row and he would know that funds wouldn’t be available there after for another back rower (in case he had some desire to go to Canberra)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

jimmy82 wrote: February 17, 2024, 3:12 pm He still has the get out clause in his contract. Don’t think he himself knows for sure where he wants to be. If they buy LL that’s their marquee signing in the back row and he would know that funds wouldn’t be available there after for another back rower (in case he had some desire to go to Canberra)
A few stars would need to quickly align but I see your angle there now. Fingers crossed.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Not a fan.

Talent but erratic
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Save the pennies and throw a little extra on top to secure Sanders
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Surely we represent a far more compelling proposition than the dragons right now... They pretty much played a first grade team today and got absolutely smoked by a reserve grade rabbits side. If the money is similar, then surely we land him
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We got the best out of his brother, so I'm fairly confident Ricky would have a blueprint to get the best out of him. With the inexperience and lack of quality currently in our spine, we need to supplement the side with some dangerous outlets. 900k though? Even with the cap increase, it seems quite steep.
GreenFeva
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by GreenFeva »

Small sample size, but after watching the trial, maybe our back row situation isn’t so dire. Noah Martin and Mitchell Spencer looked good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Noah Martin is only 18 years old. He had the physical presence out there of someone in his mid-20's.

I'm a big fan of the Leilua clan, but I'm not a fan of blocking the pathway to first grade of genuinely talented youngsters with underperformers from other clubs. And not for $900k.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sleek the Elite wrote: February 18, 2024, 6:04 am Noah Martin is only 18 years old. He had the physical presence out there of someone in his mid-20's.

I'm a big fan of the Leilua clan, but I'm not a fan of blocking the pathway to first grade of genuinely talented youngsters with underperformers from other clubs. And not for $900k.
Kind of depends what we have left under the cap- remembering we are required to spend it all (95%). I'm at the stage if we suddenly get LL- great. But I have enough reservations about the deal I won't be disappointed if we miss.

If we do have that chunk sitting there then buying LL for 3 years could still be the move to make. We improve the squad. I agree with the sentiments that a guy like LL running off Fog is exactly what Fog needs- similar to when he had Fifita running off him. He's savvy enough to know how to feed a monster like that but Fog won't create holes out of thin air with clever passing otherwise.

If the deal has Cowboys picking up $150k for a year or two (to free up $750k they can put to better use elsewhere on the teamsheet)- then yeah ok. It starts to look a bit better.

But $900k is more than we are paying our origin rep backrower. 2 years + an option 3rd if Cowboys pay some smallish freight I think is a good deal for us. 3 years locked into $900k is a bit of a risk for a guy who technically didn't make a break and had 4 lb assists last season... I think his output could be great if he plays his best footy. And Ricky is capable of unlocking that. Risk though.

Martin roared out and knocked a few guys over. Was very good. But he's 18. He can develop for a year. I think Papa debuted at 19. And if next year Martin is a) still looking like he'll play edge and b) needs to be picked then he takes Hosking's bench spot or forces his way in there.

I don't think you necessarily stop improving your squad because an 18 yr old kid played 15 good minutes in a trial.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Sleek the Elite wrote: February 18, 2024, 6:04 am Noah Martin is only 18 years old. He had the physical presence out there of someone in his mid-20's.

Noah Martin won't be getting near the NRL this season. At the end of a 3 year deal to Leilua, ideally we have someone like him coming in. A lot of things could happen though.

LL is a top 10 edge, top 5 on potential. Noah Martin has played 15 minutes in a trial. Let's get some perspective.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

FROG wrote: February 17, 2024, 9:48 pm Surely we represent a far more compelling proposition than the dragons right now... They pretty much played a first grade team today and got absolutely smoked by a reserve grade rabbits side. If the money is similar, then surely we land him
Might depend if he wants to be in Sydney (close to family) or not. Dragons had a crack last night I thought. They looked improved. Problem is a lot of teams have also improved
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:26 am

Kind of depends what we have left under the cap- remembering we are required to spend it all (95%). I'm at the stage if we suddenly get LL- great. But I have enough reservations about the deal I won't be disappointed if we miss.
They changed it to 97.5% now.

Honestly if they can't land Leluia the Raiders should think about giving spot 30 to an honorary "player" from a charity and give anything left over to them at the end of the season. Better than overpaying players just to hit the minimum and at least it highlights the issue with the rule.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:59 am
BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:26 am

They changed it to 97.5% now.

Honestly if they can't land Leluia the Raiders should think about giving spot 30 to an honorary "player" from a charity and give anything left over to them at the end of the season. Better than overpaying players just to hit the minimum and at least it highlights the issue with the rule.
I think what's more likely is the current squad will have thier contracts front loaded, opening up more space for next year and beyond. Starting to think that Don's comments around 'let's wait and see what players become available' might have been with an insight into this LL situation coming about. I'm surprised we would have such money available so late in the piece. Unless the deal hinges on CHN's medical retirement.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

Bluesbrother wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:42 am

Noah Martin won't be getting near the NRL this season. At the end of a 3 year deal to Leilua, ideally we have someone like him coming in. A lot of things could happen though.

LL is a top 10 edge, top 5 on potential. Noah Martin has played 15 minutes in a trial. Let's get some perspective.
I'd pick him for the next game and take it from there.

As for LL being a top 10 edge player, he's done nothing but play in losing teams his entire first grade career. Saints were losers, so were Wests Tigers, the Cowboys were hot when he joined them but were losers last year. Now they want to offload him. As I posted originally, I respect the Leilua's talent and entertainment value, but I'd be going with youth over Luciano particularly given the price-tag.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sleek the Elite wrote: February 18, 2024, 8:56 am

As for LL being a top 10 edge player, he's done nothing but play in losing teams his entire first grade career. Saints were losers, so were Wests Tigers, the Cowboys were hot when he joined them but were losers last year. Now they want to offload him. As I posted originally, I respect the Leilua's talent and entertainment value, but I'd be going with youth over Luciano particularly given the price-tag.
LL isnt dragging you to wins. But if you in the contest, he has the ability to get you the win with a big play, just like his brother. Like his brother, he can get into a groove too, and when hes on he can put a run of games together. He was still a good player in losing sides, but he is the game breaker, not the game winner.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

Matt wrote: February 18, 2024, 9:38 am

LL isnt dragging you to wins. But if you in the contest, he has the ability to get you the win with a big play, just like his brother. Like his brother, he can get into a groove too, and when hes on he can put a run of games together. He was still a good player in losing sides, but he is the game breaker, not the game winner.
He's a game breaker, not a game winner? Hmmm, okay. Interesting distinction.

I think at this point, I need an emoji. I'm going with :shock:.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Sleek the Elite wrote: February 18, 2024, 10:00 am

Sleek, this place has its own vocabulary made up by people to justify thier own opinions. Matt is very good at this.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 18, 2024, 10:35 am

Sleek, this place has its own vocabulary made up by people to justify thier own opinions. Matt is very good at this.
Is Ola'kau'ato a game winner or game breaker?
Is Koloamatangi a game winner or game breaker?
Is David Fifita a game winner or game breaker?

Conversely,
Is Cleary a game breaker or game winner?
Is DCE a game breaker or game winner?
Is Cronk a game breaker or game winner?

The distinction is very easy, the vocabulary isn't hard to follow, and for your assistance I've keep it position specific. TBH, if you watch sport and dont understand the difference, might be time to give it away.

There is a reason why most team spend money in the spine, as they win you games, but you need a few game breakers around them for when you need to find something outta nothing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I think he means if it's an arm wrestle and you're struggling to break through other team, sometimes it's not going to be a slick play or any lazyness to exploit. It's got to be a Rapana or Joey moment or in this case LL is seen as having that x factor to make something happen completely on their own, vs a quality defence that others cannot.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Not a fan of this potential signing. Not young so there is not much room for improvement. Also he hasn’t come from winning teams.

Also a pretty lazy player who is probably destined to be a middle player - we need that like a hole in the head.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Matt wrote: February 18, 2024, 10:46 am
Sleek the Elite wrote: February 18, 2024, 8:56 am I'd pick him for the next game and take it from there.

Conversely,

The distinction is very easy, the vocabulary isn't hard to follow, and for your assistance I've keep it position specific. TBH, if you watch sport and dont understand the difference, might be time to give it away.

There is a reason why most team spend money in the spine, as they win you games, but you need a few game breakers around them for when you need to find something outta nothing.
I haven’t seen any games of his where he has been unstoppable or broke open a game. I’ll happily be proven incorrect but I’m struggling to think of one. I seriously think people are conflating his last name and assuming that you’ll get the same type of player as his brother. Just because his last name is Leilua doesn’t mean he is even remotely in the same class as his brother.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Colk wrote: February 18, 2024, 11:40 am
Matt wrote: February 18, 2024, 10:46 am

Conversely,

I haven’t seen any games of his where he has been unstoppable or broke open a game. I’ll happily be proven incorrect but I’m struggling to think of one. I seriously think people are conflating his last name and assuming that you’ll get the same type of player as his brother. Just because his last name is Leilua doesn’t mean he is even remotely in the same class as his brother.
There dont seem to be many highlights packages, and this is 2020, so quite old, but shows some of his skills and ability

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I think this is a clear case of letting him and his agent go to market seeking 900k per year over 3-4, letting them hear crickets, and then coming back to the table with something more realistic.

If a rabble like the Dragons get an itchy trigger finger first, you let them.

900K is a bit steep but I’d be more concerned with the length of contract. I fear a big cliff coming for a Leilua type of player.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: February 18, 2024, 11:55 am I think this is a clear case of letting him and his agent go to market seeking 900k per year over 3-4, letting them hear crickets, and then coming back to the table with something more realistic.

If a rabble like the Dragons get an itchy trigger finger first, you let them.

900K is a bit steep but I’d be more concerned with the length of contract. I fear a big cliff coming for a Leilua type of player.
Of all the players we might target for the position, LL is not near the top of my list. Even watching Tigertown he didn’t strike me as driven or committed, more light hearted and happy to be there. All that said, if nobody else is coming I’d rather have him for 24 than carry a vacancy or pay overs for some on our roster that doesn’t deserve it. But let’s make this a 2 years tops kind of deal.