15%

Total votes: 27

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Rd 2 v Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Botman »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 14, 2024, 1:42 pm
Love4Noa wrote: March 14, 2024, 10:17 am You've all just got a bunch of opinions on things you aren't involved in and don't comprehend the emotions.
You're applying your logic and experiences against someone else.

Stop bashing things where there's personal experiences that feed emotions and just focus on the footy.
Unfortunately, there is no logic here Noa.

We have people generalising and saying that people can change etc which is a load of baloney. Unless there’s someone who knows him personally here and has heard it from his own mouth that he regrets the things that were said and I shouldn't have said them and it’s not who I am, only then will I accept that it’s wrong. Until someone tells me otherwise, sorry guys.

Did Ricky play it right. No. His emotions got the better of him but I see his position.
Some questions Reg...
Are you the same person now than you were as a 12 year old?
Did you not mature beyond that point in your life? Had all the answers, knew the things you valued in life?
Never had a life experience good or bad beyond the age of 12 that promoted some personal growth?
Did you ever say or do anything as a 12 year old that now as an adult you recognise was wrong?

You're just the same human being with the same values and the same perspective on life now as you were at 12 years old?
If so i have to say it's a bloody honour to be speaking to someone who was perfect by age 12.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: March 14, 2024, 2:49 pm
Love4Noa wrote: March 14, 2024, 10:17 am You've all just got a bunch of opinions on things you aren't involved in and don't comprehend the emotions.

Stop bashing things where there's personal experiences that feed emotions and just focus on the footy.

We have people generalising and saying that people can change etc which is a load of baloney. Unless there’s someone who knows him personally here and has heard it from his own mouth that he regrets the things that were said and I shouldn't have said them and it’s not who I am, only then will I accept that it’s wrong. Until someone tells me otherwise, sorry guys.

Did Ricky play it right. No. His emotions got the better of him but I see his position.
Some questions Reg...
Did you not mature beyond that point in your life? Had all the answers, knew the things you valued in life?
Never had a life experience good or bad beyond the age of 12 that promoted some personal growth?
Did you ever say or do anything as a 12 year old that now as an adult you recognise was wrong?

You're just the same human being with the same values and the same perspective on life now as you were at 12 years old?
If so i have to say it's a bloody honour to be speaking to someone who was perfect by age 12.
I very much stand on the ‘it’s unacceptable’ side of the argument - however…

Regardless of the personal issues that happened between the 2 and ones stance on how they should or shouldn’t hold for a decade, none of that is really relevant when an employee and figurehead of a club uses a live press conference to air those personal grievances while representing club he represents.

I have a lot of time for a coach like Robbo - who was man enough to come out publicly today and admit he got his comments wrong after the Vegas incident. All we got from the WGD incident was leaks to the press and comments such as ‘if you only knew what happened’.

When you hold a position of leadership or higher responsibility and public representation, you have to seperate personal feelings from those that are suitable for your stakeholders.. the fans, investors, board, sponsors and players.

If he had kept it private and barked at him up the hallway in the dressing sheds I wouldn’t care one iota - he used a pulpit while representing the club I love and I think it was horrifically unprofessional, and should be called out as such.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Some questions Reg...

Haha mate, I’m 41 and I still haven’t figured it all out. No where near. However, I was always respectful as a kid and I never belittled or tormented or bullied other kids. In fact, I always tried to help the ones that were. I was brought up the right way. But I’ve been on both ends of it too, when I was younger. And even older.

I lived on the fringe of the shire for the best part of 10/11 years. The racism that we were subjected too whilst playing sport in that region was disgusting. And they weren’t isolated incidents. It happened frequently. The shire is a cesspool of redneck bogans (not all, but a lot). I know his kind. Salmon is a product of that environment. I know it all too well. Kids were **** back then and they still are, even as little as 3 years ago.

Like I said, tell me he isn’t like that anymore or he’s remorseful or whatever, from someone that knows him and I’ll eat my hat. Till then, I see blokes like him coming a mile away.
Last edited by Regs Revolution on March 14, 2024, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'The more people down there the better': Canberra Raiders on track to set 22-year high

The Raiders are optimistic of drawing a crowd of 16,000 for their first home game of the 2024 NRL season - which would equate to the Raiders' biggest crowd at an opening home game in more than 20 years. Meanwhile, Jamal Fogarty is predicting good things for his halves partnership with rookie Ethan Strange.

"I've got him as a roomie now too so I get to understand him a little bit more away from footy, which is really good for our relationship," Fogarty said. "Ethan's going to be a great player for the club, we've just got to let him find his feet, give him 50-60 games and judge him from that. He's going to be an exciting player.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

His coaches and team mates spoke glowingly about what a good bloke he was in the aftermath of that incident
They are people that were dealing with him day in and day out. They know the man for who he is now and not for what he said as a 12 year old kid. They also backed that up in the next game they played against us, that team sure looked like a team playing to make a statement about their friend and team mate

Edit: I’ll edit the rest out and leave it there out because we’re way off topic here and I’m sure people would like to go back to talking about this game and not an ugly incident for last year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I hope the boys have their heads screwed on come Satd arvo.

All I’ve been hearing and seeing in the media all week has been about the Tigers.

Will they ? Won’t they ?

How will they go ? Their 2 wooden spoons.. Benji ???? Rookie halves..

We all agree we are a much better side than the Tigers, but we must earn the win.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Botman wrote: March 14, 2024, 5:02 pm His coaches and team mates spoke glowingly about what a good bloke he was in the aftermath of that incident
They are people that were dealing with him day in and day out. They know the man for who he is now and not for what he said as a 12 year old kid. They also backed that up in the next game they played against us, that team sure looked like a team playing to make a statement about their friend and team mate

Edit: I’ll edit the rest out and leave it there out because we’re way off topic here and I’m sure people would like to go back to talking about this game and not an ugly incident for last year.
Yea cause his coaches and team mates are gonna come out and say he’s a piece of **** :lol:

And you’re right. Let’s get back to footy. Couldn’t care less about him.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

-PJ- wrote: March 14, 2024, 6:00 pm I hope the boys have their heads screwed on come Satd arvo.

All I’ve been hearing and seeing in the media all week has been about the Tigers.

Will they ? Won’t they ?

We all agree we are a much better side than the Tigers, but we must earn the win.
This game is almost seasoning defining. I know it’s silly saying that in round 2, but if we don’t win, and win convincingly, gonna be a longggggggg season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Regs Revolution wrote:
-PJ- wrote: March 14, 2024, 6:00 pm I hope the boys have their heads screwed on come Satd arvo.

Will they ? Won’t they ?

This game is almost seasoning defining. I know it’s silly saying that in round 2, but if we don’t win, and win convincingly, gonna be a longggggggg season.
Yeah, we're on a hiding to nothing in this game. Likely in front of a decent crowd too.

I know a lot of the fanbase want us to throw a bit of caution to the wind and go at them early, but that would be a terrible mistake.

Do what the consistently good teams like Penrith and Melbourne do...complete sets, dominate the middle of the park and kick chase all day long. Frustrate them into errors and cash in.

Good coaches talk about focussing on the process rather than the result. This is the exact type of game they're talking about.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Regs Revolution wrote:
Botman wrote: March 14, 2024, 5:02 pm His coaches and team mates spoke glowingly about what a good bloke he was in the aftermath of that incident

Yea cause his coaches and team mates are gonna come out and say he’s a piece of **** Image

And you’re right. Let’s get back to footy. Couldn’t care less about him.
more clubs than slim dusty

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 14, 2024, 6:19 pm

Will they ? Won’t they ?

Don’t know about that Reg. We should win comfortably and I expect we will. It would be very disappointing to be rolled by the tigpies, but it’s a loooong season and there are a lot of quality players that Ricky could switch in. As bad as a loss might be I wouldn’t call it fatal.
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 14, 2024, 4:08 pm

Some questions Reg...

Haha mate, I’m 41 and I still haven’t figured it all out. No where near. However, I was always respectful as a kid and I never belittled or tormented or bullied other kids. In fact, I always tried to help the ones that were. I was brought up the right way. But I’ve been on both ends of it too, when I was younger. And even older.

I lived on the fringe of the shire for the best part of 10/11 years. The racism that we were subjected too whilst playing sport in that region was disgusting. And they weren’t isolated incidents. It happened frequently. The shire is a cesspool of redneck bogans (not all, but a lot). I know his kind. Salmon is a product of that environment. I know it all too well. Kids were **** back then and they still are, even as little as 3 years ago.

Like I said, tell me he isn’t like that anymore or he’s remorseful or whatever, from someone that knows him and I’ll eat my hat. Till then, I see blokes like him coming a mile away.
Bloody hell :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: should be proud yourself my man and I hope you are
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: 2024 Round 2 v Tigers: Game Day

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Is it me or do we look fitter than every other team or most teams out there
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bennyboy2283 wrote: March 14, 2024, 8:59 pm Is it me or do we look fitter than every other team or most teams out there
Im mindful of 1 game sample sizes qnd not getting too over our skiis based on one good week, but i was impressed with how we looked from a fitness POV last week
Might not be the best game to know this week either, since we'll be playing a game working through their first game when we're on to game 2... but it's something to monitor over the first month for sure.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

So 👍 up so far , I’m sceptical about us but watching last round and all teams , we are up there with the roosters ricky use to coach, I’m very I’m impressed and that’s with trail games as well
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Bennyboy2283 wrote: March 14, 2024, 8:59 pm Is it me or do we look fitter than every other team or most teams out there
I reckon you are right Bennyboy. From Papa to Cotric to Hoppa, none looked to be carrying extra weight and looked in fine trim. That was not the case in previous years. Credit to the players and dieticians and off season cardio work.

There was some talk that Zac Hosking has had some input into how Penrith run their off season. Win or lose they always maintain that 80 minute intensity and if we are now using similar methods we might finally rid ourselves of the Faders tag. Full credit to Sticky for overseeing the change, to get a better start to the new season. It takes about 5 games or so for match fitness to kick in and last year our record was 1 win and 4 losses in our first 5 matches. I'm looking forward to seeing what our early season record is this year.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The weight of players and the fitness has been a huge focus over the off season. The coaches were not happy with how we showed up physically last season. I think a bit had to do with a new head of performance and Jeremy Hickmans leaving the club at the 11th hour to join the Dolphins. New head of performance came in quite late in the piece last pre season from Rugby Union which is a notably slower game. This has now been addressed.

I don't know whether we are the fittest club - Broncos, Storm, Penrith, Souths, Roosters, Manly all look elite in that area. However, we're in the conversation. With the roster we have, we need to be one of the fitter, stronger clubs if we want to compete. We don't have the talent to match some of those but if we can match them physically then we are in with a chance.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

I’m just starting to see other teams burn out come the 60 minute mark , I know it’s only round 2 but what impressed me was we didn’t burn out in the trails and last week, we seem to love it
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Yeah, looked fitter in round 1 than we have for the opening month of the last several years, usually Raoders start slow and build into the season peaking late.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 15, 2024, 5:04 am The weight of players and the fitness has been a huge focus over the off season. The coaches were not happy with how we showed up physically last season. I think a bit had to do with a new head of performance and Jeremy Hickmans leaving the club at the 11th hour to join the Dolphins. New head of performance came in quite late in the piece last pre season from Rugby Union which is a notably slower game. This has now been addressed.

I don't know whether we are the fittest club - Broncos, Storm, Penrith, Souths, Roosters, Manly all look elite in that area. However, we're in the conversation. With the roster we have, we need to be one of the fitter, stronger clubs if we want to compete. We don't have the talent to match some of those but if we can match them physically then we are in with a chance.
Souths look like they've come into this season underdone in the fitness area to me
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Bennyboy2283 wrote: March 15, 2024, 9:07 am I’m just starting to see other teams burn out come the 60 minute mark , I know it’s only round 2 but what impressed me was we didn’t burn out in the trails and last week, we seem to love it
You can thank Morgan “Diesel Truck” Smithies. The harder it gets, the more he loves it. Hopefully that rubs off on everyone.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 15, 2024, 9:35 am
Bluesbrother wrote: March 15, 2024, 5:04 am The weight of players and the fitness has been a huge focus over the off season. The coaches were not happy with how we showed up physically last season. I think a bit had to do with a new head of performance and Jeremy Hickmans leaving the club at the 11th hour to join the Dolphins. New head of performance came in quite late in the piece last pre season from Rugby Union which is a notably slower game. This has now been addressed.

Souths look like they've come into this season underdone in the fitness area to me
Latrell is an absolute goose. Saluting when his team is getting pumped is ridiculous.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Some questions Reg...

yeah, I know many of you will find this extremely difficult to believe, but I was a deadset **** when I was 12.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: March 15, 2024, 11:00 am

Some questions Reg...

yeah, I know many of you will find this extremely difficult to believe, but I was a deadset **** when I was 12.
And you have aged like a fine bottle of milk.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:

Some questions Reg...

your use of grammar makes it appear that you aren't now.

Edrick The Entertainer
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Stick confirming it was between Cotric and Hopa for the wing - inferring Savage is our first choice winger at the moment which I love.

Interested to see how Cotric’s career pans out post 2024.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'd love to see Cotric go back to Cup and really knuckle down and just blow the comp away. He needs to find his pre-Bulldogs form again.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I don't think they are losing games because of fitness. They made 16 errors last night. Calls already coming for Jack to move into the halves. We should sit back and laugh.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 15, 2024, 12:02 pm

I don't think they are losing games because of fitness. They made 16 errors last night. Calls already coming for Jack to move into the halves. We should sit back and laugh.
Latrell looks fit but just doesn't get himself in the game. Ilias had a shocker - I haven't seen a team lose against the feed for a long time, dropping the ball cold, kicking into his player. Is age catching up with Cody and Cook? Murray hasn't played well in the two games. They got back to 12 all but then had a lapse, much like what happened in Vegas when they were leading and in control. Havilii played well and was involved for the first two tries. Souths have defensive issues.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Souths have plenty of issues. All of their depth outside backs are horrible players. Illias is imo the worst halfback in the competition. They need to give Hawkins an extended run. They have a weak front row rotation bar Tatola. Even when Munro comes back that probably leaves them too short in yardage meters considering their pack isn’t great.

I think Wighton will be a valuable inclusion. They need more no nonsense, high effort football because imo they have too many ordinary players weighing them down to just ride the coat tails of Mitchell and Walker into the top 8.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I had some high hopes for Illias when he first started
Seemed a good young player who had a solid game to grow from and expected him to make incremental gains and end up being a decent player, but if anything he's gone backwards since then. They'd have to very seriously be considering their options in the halves.

Wont shock me at all to see Walker/Wighton pairing at some point
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I don't think illias is that bad to be fair. Cody Walker is a flat track bully and extremely overrated IMO. He's an origin half yet people blaming illias. I think it's a bit unfair. Cody Walker and Latrell seem to be more focussed on Ezra Mam's issue/political rubbish in general than playing football. Can't see JD lasting the season. Wayne coming back with Sam Burgess as the succesor - can see it now.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its a fair point that higher profile/paid players are not performing well but Illias was so bad last night that the Dally M judge for the Dolphins Cowboys game would have given him points
Unplayable if that's what he's dishing up
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm a real fan of Murray and its disappointing to see the Jai Arrow trajectory considering how good hom and Papa went together in origin

Edrick The Entertainer
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Cam Murray is or at least was the best 13 in the comp imo. I prefer his ability to bend the line, find his front and get a quick play the ball over the ball playing ability of a Yeo. In saying that, Murray is an excellent ball player in his own right.

Anyways, how about those RAIDERS