Tigers 13+
25%

Total votes: 12

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Round 2 v Tigers: Game Day

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:31 pm There is something incredibly refreshing about this team.

As someone said earlier, we may not even make the 8 and on paper we might have a more unsuccessful year than last year.

But I have derived more enjoyment from our first two rounds this season than from all of last season.

It might be proving the merits of making sure you have healthy turnover every year so things dont get stale.

Whatever it is, Keep going, I am loving it.
Yeah it’s been a really good start to the year
Still think we can improve this team with some minor tweaks but we’re winning and playing quite well so on we march
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Hosking and coaching favourites

Post by Billy Walker »

wHaT aBoUt WoOlFoRd?
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Ang wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:17 pm
Botman wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:13 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:12 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:11 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:09 pm Honestly Whitehead can't just walk into the starting 13. Hosking's has been brilliant . He has to retain the right side 2nd row position.
Smithies is our lock , which means Horse moves to the front row. Guler to drop out.

We are developing into a good team , we have strong platform with our forwards , they have started the year fit.
Exciting days ahead
It is a big worry how Whitehead and Hors will be brought in
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Mooney had over 200 yards for NSW Cup today, he should be playing FG next week in Guler's spot
He’ll be named at no.24 again and go run another 200m+ in cup next week because Guler will never be dropped
Hard to drop Emre based upon his 2 games this year. Likewise, Saulo and Ata. It's hard to get into our 17 right now. Trey will get an opportunity at some point. Hors coming back pushes him further back unfortunately.
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Agree Guler should make way for Horse.
But I would not be writing off Whitehead already. It seems like we have indeed had a tough pre-season. Our players seem fitter, stronger.
And we are playing a better style which might suit Whitehead. Also - i dont think he will play the full 80 which might also improve his effectiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I actually think it’s pretty easy
I think he’s flat out a better player right now than both. No development needed

But it’s a winning team and winning well. A “tough” call will need to be made for Hors, but for me that’s not tough
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The NRL live ladder makes for enjoying viewing right now
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:54 pm I actually think it’s pretty easy
I think he’s flat out a better player right now than both. No development needed

But it’s a winning team and winning well. A “tough” call will need to be made for Hors, but for me that’s not tough
Would you drop Emre for Trey going into next week? We just won by 20.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hats off to Hopoate. Whatever he did between the trials and now he's catching well. Let's hope it continues.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:16 pm

It won't happen.

But it's a conversation worth having
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Not a bad PC from Sticky.
He is right we are allowed to have more than 17 first graders , some good players will miss out every week.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Because Emre has started the year poorly and Trey Mooney is playing dominant football.
He’s also straight up a better player than Guler (and saulo too)

Won’t happen but it should. Winning doesn’t mean we can’t improve.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Height on the bombs from fogs was incredible..

Dread to think what we would have missed if Jack had stayed and we ended up losing strange instead

I was hoping for progress over the season from the doctor not a game that good so soon!!

Two incredibly enjoyable games.. better than any game from last year for mine

Hors sat near us in the first half he can't wait to be back

Loving the start to this season

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:29 pm

Because Emre has started the year poorly and Trey Mooney is playing dominant football.

Not sure how Emre has been poor in the 2 games? I get that you have a boner for Mooney but you have to try to be objective. We've played really well last 2 weeks.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:42 pm

Not sure how Emre has been poor in the 2 games? I get that you have a boner for Mooney but you have to try to be objective. We've played really well last 2 weeks.
Mate you are literally talking to the founder of the Emre Guler fan squad there - a squad that did NOT boast many members.
Last edited by afgtnk on March 16, 2024, 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Thought 1 though to our 17 we're good. but I like Mooney and should possibly give him a run for Guler, and bring Cotric back for Kris if he has to sit out from head knock, but I think the later won't happen due to not changing a winning side, but Ricky bought Kris straight in for Crotic, and maybe big red comes in.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: Hosking and coaching favourites

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:03 pm This really seems like it could’ve been a post in the game day thread rather than a new thread in itself

It’s just a bunch of barely connected ramblings and musings
This place could REALLY do with a player performance sub forum and threads for individual players.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We have played well in the last two weeks. No one is disputing that.
There is a reason why Seb Kris came back into a winning team, and there's a reason why even if we win next week Hors will come into a winning team too.
Pick your best players. Always continue to strive for improvement.

I dont think he's played well enough to hold his spot ahead of a bloke who's being dominant in lower grades. If you think he has, good for you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:46 pm Mate you are literally talking to the founder of the Emre Guler fan squad there - a squad that did NOT boast many members.
It's pretty funny that im being told im not being fair on Guler :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:51 pm

We have played well in the last two weeks. No one is disputing that.
There is a reason why Seb Kris came back into a winning team, and there's a reason why even if we win next week Hors will come into a winning team too.
Pick your best players. Always continue to strive for improvement.

I dont think he's played well enough to hold his spot ahead of a bloke who's being dominant in lower grades. If you think he has, good for you.
We are going alright when the hot argument is over a 20 minute bench role.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:

It won't happen.

But it's a conversation worth having
The conversation will go:

Someone: Should we place Emre with Trey?
Ricky: No
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:57 pm We are going alright when the hot argument is over a 20 minute bench role.
Guler had 48 minutes today according to NRL.com
That was more than any other front rower other than Tapine. So it's not actually a small role he plays. And as per above, if there is a person on this site who has defended and praised Guler for the player he is more than me, i'd love to see them. But i call it how i see it. Guler's not been good enough imo.

And I dont believe in this notion you cant change a winning team. I am looking to take what we've got here and build on it and get better. And i see a clear way we can get better.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Horse is straight back in. It's a given. It's just who for , Guler or Saulo.
Smithies is 13 , Sticky said as much in the PC.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2024, 6:03 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:57 pm We are going alright when the hot argument is over a 20 minute bench role.
That was more than any other front rower other than Tapine. So it's not actually a small role he plays. And as per above, if there is a person on this site who has defended and praised Guler for the player he is more than me, i'd love to see them. But i call it how i see it. Guler's not been good enough imo.

And I dont believe in this notion you cant change a winning team. I am looking to take what we've got here and build on it and get better. And i see a clear way we can get better.
I don’t disagree with you. Guler is not making the impact he should and his hands are very frustrating. Very happy to see Mooney come in for him but not sure it will happen.

We aren’t winning anything with our 2023 side. Our hope of success is the new faces that are leading the way. Hosking, Smithies, Levi, Strange, Savage are all changes from last year and all showing good signs. Over the course of the season I’d like to see Mooney and Stewart and possibly one other new face come into the 17. We have a great start and are shaping up nicely but still have a few players like Guler in that reasonable to good category that don’t look like they will get to great.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

There was no love lost with seezer, he was the crankiest I've ever seen him, loved the crowd booing jonneh, **** that guy, I'll never forgive him for using our grand final charge in 2019 to try for a pay raise
Good win, like others, very happy with this season so far, super impressed with Strange.
Kids gonna be a star, not afraid of the hard stuff
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 16, 2024, 6:13 pm

I don’t disagree with you. Guler is not making the impact he should and his hands are very frustrating. Very happy to see Mooney come in for him but not sure it will happen.

We aren’t winning anything with our 2023 side. Our hope of success is the new faces that are leading the way. Hosking, Smithies, Levi, Strange, Savage are all changes from last year and all showing good signs. Over the course of the season I’d like to see Mooney and Stewart and possibly one other new face come into the 17. We have a great start and are shaping up nicely but still have a few players like Guler in that reasonable to good category that don’t look like they will get to great.
I dont think it will happen either. And agree whole heartedly, there are really good signs and some of our best performers are new faces. It's great. And very much enjoying it. But lets not settle! Lets keep trying to find ways to get better.
But i challenge anyone to watch today's NSW cup game and tell me Guler or Saulo are capable of that type of performance.

Again, wont happen, understand why... Hors will come in for one of the middles and that'll be the next change... but again, im going keep calling it how it see it. As i see it, if you gave Trey Mooney 48 minutes of FG football today we'd have got significantly better output.

And again, who's defended and praised Guler more than me? This isnt a case of some poster sticking the boot into a player they've disliked
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Raoul Duke wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:34 pm Saulo still isn't bending the line, he revs up but just doesn't seem to be able to handle the initial contact like our other forwards.
I would argue that his play the balls are quicker than any other forward that always provides for the next play. I have been his biggest critic but he’s actually been playing quite well. 9 runs for 88 metres and 25 tackles. Solid effort off the bench.

I think it’s a moot point anyway.

Full strength unfortunately does not have him in the 17.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2024, 6:17 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 16, 2024, 6:13 pm

I dont think it will happen either. And agree whole heartedly, there are really good signs and some of our best performers are new faces. It's great. And very much enjoying it. But lets not settle! Lets keep trying to find ways to get better.
But i challenge anyone to watch today's NSW cup game and tell me Guler or Saulo are capable of that type of performance.

Again, wont happen, understand why... Hors will come in for one of the middles and that'll be the next change... but again, im going keep calling it how it see it. As i see it, if you gave Trey Mooney 48 minutes of FG football today we'd have got significantly better output.

And again, who's defended and praised Guler more than me? This isnt a case of some poster sticking the boot into a player they've disliked
I look at the premiers every year and there is generally 1 or 2 players that are lucky to get a ring surrounded by 15 very good footballers. You can carry a couple of guys that do a solid job. We are looking great, but if I’m honest we still have a few too many of those honest toilers. I don’t propose we change up this winning team too much, but agree we need to keep tinkering with guys who might turn the dial a bit more. Mooney and Stewart are very much in that category.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

I have a fever, and The Doctor has a prescription for me: a bloody good game.

Who was man of the match btw? As per typical, whoever does the switching/scheduling on Fox needs to have a few beers and a valium and calm the f*** down. The speed of the post-match interview (there was only one I saw: The Doctor), and the constant cuts from live play to things like watching a bloke have tape put on his hand was frustrating as all get-out. It's like they hired a failed film student to take care of all the production.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Round 1 - 36/40 - 90% completion. 55% possession.

Round 2 - 36/40 - 90% completion. 55% possession.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote:Hats off to Hopoate. Whatever he did between the trials and now he's catching well. Let's hope it continues.
Yeah, he was good under the high ball this game. Credit to him.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the departure of Michael Maguire has improved our defence. Fogarty such a better player without Wighton there too. We look so much better than last season with a few key changes.
Hosking will come close to buy of the year and can see why Hoppa is in the team over Cotric. Credit where it’s due to Ricky Stuart so far.
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

Very happy with that performance.

Big Red not due back to round 4, EW round 3-4.

Kris likely out next week, Cotric will come in. Rest stays the same.

Guler will stay in the bigger minute bench role until Horse returns and takes the role over.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see mooney get a bench spot in the next few weeks for some NRL game time.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

jimmy82 wrote: March 16, 2024, 7:09 pm I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the departure of Michael Maguire has improved our defence. Fogarty such a better player without Wighton there too. We look so much better than last season with a few key changes.
Hosking will come close to buy of the year and can see why Hoppa is in the team over Cotric. Credit where it’s due to Ricky Stuart so far.
Hard to discern how much of it is coaching vs not having EW, Croker and a prop at #13.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

thevikingclap on ig wrote: March 16, 2024, 7:18 pm Very happy with that performance.

Big Red not due back to round 4, EW round 3-4.

Kris likely out next week, Cotric will come in. Rest stays the same.

Guler will stay in the bigger minute bench role until Horse returns and takes the role over.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see mooney get a bench spot in the next few weeks for some NRL game time.
Is Cotric next in line though? We know what he brings and it’s good not great. I’m hearing Schiller is tearing it up and Asomua has the goods. I’m keen to roll the dice on an up and comer and see if we can’t unearth another star rather that going back to steady as it goes 1 step forward 3 steps sideways.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

The next three weeks will tell us more where we are really at!!!!! WARRIORS/SHARKS/EELS…..Great two weeks to start the season, many positives, but plenty to consider moving forward!!!!