Eels 13+
24%

Total votes: 17

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2024 Round 5 v Eels: Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

They’ve already sacked Brad Arthur over on the Eels forum.

Going off..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

No other winger but Savage scores the try Schiller did. Pure eccys.

The Timoko try doesn’t happen cause the line break and speed of Schiller got him there.

226m. 3 line breaks and a try assist with 3 tackle breaks. Yea, the two tackle attempts on Sivo were poor and he gave Ronaldo too much space last week but he will learn from these and only get better.
Last edited by Regs Revolution on April 8, 2024, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Not having a pop at individuals, but the fact that there are some pining for Hoppa over someone like Schiller on a wing - it makes you wonder philosophically what has happened to the game of rugby league.

For 100+ years, wingers were your offensive weapons. The guys who could finish and score points, the entertainers. Now we are debating whether we should be picking a slow bloke with no lateral agility over exciting finishers, simply because he makes a few extra metres per game inside our own half or hits a bit better in defensive contact?

That’s more a slight on the modern game than anything else, in my opinion
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Schiller is worth persisting with. Hoppa just cant do what he can and Hoppa's nothing special in defence either so it's not like we'd be replacing Schiller's crap defence with some sort of defensive god. I'd rather have outside backs who are capable of doing something with the ball. Something more than a hit up.

That said, Schiller really does need to sort out his physicality in defence because those two efforts on Sivo were embarrassing.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Schiller's defensive issues can be rectified through coaching and experience. What he offers in attack are natural gifts that cannot be taught. Guys like him and Savage on the wings creates scoring opportunities we do not see with the Cotrics and Hoppas out there. I'm happy to accept the bad when the good is so damn good.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 7, 2024, 8:22 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 7, 2024, 8:17 pm Hindmarsh and Fletcher taking shots at Canberra. Johns warns them about Canberra fans, seemed like a comment from Corey Parker’s experience!
Very tedious stuff. What is with these Fox Murdoch morons and the Canberra bashing. We just put on a clinic and they revert straight into the lazy tropes laying into Canberra.
Why
Why on earth would anyone watch them to begin with?

They're as funny as a car crash
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

-PJ- wrote: April 8, 2024, 7:47 am They’ve already sacked Brad Arthur over on the Eels forum.

Going off..
Just messaging a close mate who is a die hard Parra. He’s had enough and is losing it over BA. Saying he has to go and has lost the room etc. Quoted “internal crisis”. Not good signs for them.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 7, 2024, 8:17 pm Hindmarsh and Fletcher taking shots at Canberra. Johns warns them about Canberra fans, seemed like a comment from Corey Parker’s experience!
Very tedious stuff. What is with these Fox Murdoch morons and the Canberra bashing. We just put on a clinic and they revert straight into the lazy tropes laying into Canberra.
Why
Can't recall that level of tedious and immature commentary in any other major sporting code in the world. Not just a silly crack at Canberra, but also the UK, after interviewing a Pommy player no less. Hilarious.

Honestly bottom of the barrel stuff.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Schiller conundrum is very similar to early Manly career Jason Saab. Some poor defence. Too many errors.

But rather than punting him for a safe 5/10 winger they perservered, toughened him up in first grade and now reap the benefits when he’s fit. On his day he’s unbelievable. It’s Schiller all over. Reverting to Hopoate would be madness. Actually it’s beyond that. It would be clueless.

The only way Schiller could come out is when Stewart comes in so there’s a spot for Rapana.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

Rickmando wrote: April 8, 2024, 8:02 am Not having a pop at individuals, but the fact that there are some pining for Hoppa over someone like Schiller on a wing - it makes you wonder philosophically what has happened to the game of rugby league.

For 100+ years, wingers were your offensive weapons. The guys who could finish and score points, the entertainers. Now we are debating whether we should be picking a slow bloke with no lateral agility over exciting finishers, simply because he makes a few extra metres per game inside our own half or hits a bit better in defensive contact?

That’s more a slight on the modern game than anything else, in my opinion
Yep, reminds me of the old joke that Rugby League was originally an 11-a-side game, but when the team arrived to play, there were two extra blokes who turned up, so they put them on the wings.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, if the club sticks with Schiller let's hope we can continue to build 13 point leads in games that matter.

Not a single player went over to console him after his pathetic attempt on Sivo for their second try. He knew it was a terrible effort. He's lucky Sivo didn't score three on him last night, given the first one was called back for a knock on from Gutherson. He's the one big target for the opposition and will be found out.

If he works hard to improve then I'm on board, but at this stage he's a complete liability when we don't have the ball, and often when we do.

He gave away a silly penalty for not genuinely contesting a bomb, spilt the ball when deep on the attack and wasn't even close to being in position for a short dropout. It's the effort stuff that drives me insane...but yeah he runs fast and looks good outside Timoko.

Honestly, do better mate.

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:08 am Well, if the club sticks with Schiller let's hope we can continue to build 13 point leads in games that matter.

Not a single player went over to console him after his pathetic attempt on Sivo for their second try. He knew it was a terrible effort. He's lucky Sivo didn't score three on him last night, given the first one was called back for a knock on from Gutherson.

If he works hard to improve then I'm on board, but at this stage he's a complete liability when we don't have the ball, and often when we do.

He gave away a silly penalty for not genuinely contesting a bomb, spilt the ball when deep on the attack and wasn't even close to being in position for a short dropout. It's the effort stuff that drives me insane...but yeah he runs fast and looks good outside Timoko.

Honestly, do better mate.

I’d argue that looking good outside our centres isn’t even a bar Hopoate has cleared to date, so I’ll take whatever Schiller is offering.

I don’t think many would argue that wasn’t our most entertaining performance in a number of years. Schiller was a decent part in that, for better or worse.

But as I said above, it’s not necessarily a criticism of your viewpoint. This is very much an “eye of the beholder” thing in terms of what you want to see out of the wing position on game day. I can live with some of the rocks in order to get to the diamonds.
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Loved it, although it's hard not think that it should have been 41-0. Schiller is a defensive liability. Sharks did the same **** to him last week (and last year for that matter)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I didn’t watch the game but I have seen the highlights and it is baffling to me people are saying Schiller should be dropped for Hoppa on the basis of defences

Schiller let in 2 “soft” tries
The first I can live with, he made the right read but just didn’t commit fully. That ball was dying to go 90 metres back the other way.
The second was a very poor miss. But people, have you actually seen Hoppa play defence? He’s a terrible defensive winger. You’re not making a significant upgrade defensively with that move and you’re taking a giant step back offensively

Schiller has to improve in the area of defensive reads and contact for sure, but he’s also essentially A FG rookie. When he’s laying on tries and finishing the way he has, he earning the grace to get better with that in time and experience
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Botman wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:22 am I didn’t watch the game but I have seen the highlights and it is baffling to me people are saying Schiller should be dropped for Hoppa on the basis of defences

The first I can live with, he made the right read but just didn’t commit fully. That ball was dying to go 90 metres back the other way.
The second was a very poor miss. But people, have you actually seen Hoppa play defence? He’s a terrible defensive winger. You’re not making a significant upgrade defensively with that move and you’re taking a giant step back offensively

Schiller has to improve in the area of defensive reads and contact for sure, but he’s also essentially A FG rookie. When he’s laying on tries and finishing the way he has, he earning the grace to get better with that in time and experience
His effort against Mulitalo last week was dreadful. Jersey grabber

His read on the Kennedy kick through the line, also garbage. Stay on your winger, back Timoko to do his job.

He has a lot to work on..
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Is so Strange that I don't miss Jack

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yeah Hopoate sucks in defence. I can cop those wanting the boring and safe play calling for Cotric who is a good defender but Hopoate is not.

The only things Hopoate is better at than Schiller is maybe physically tackling, handling on tough carries and obviously yardage metres. Has him covered in every other single aspect. Shouldn’t even be a conversation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If Schiller has to be dropped the only player that should possibly come in for him is Chevy Stewart.
Bulldog
Ken Nagas

Post by Bulldog »

julian87 wrote: April 8, 2024, 7:29 am
Ultima wrote: April 7, 2024, 7:30 pm Schiller just isn't a good winger... He looked much better in the centres in the trials, I think I would prefer Hoppa out there...
Jesus Christ
Ultima, you can't be serious. Raiders fans have been screaming for years for more strike power. Now we have it. Schiller is on a completely different level to Hoppa. Schiller's spark, speed and just sheer brilliance on the wing has been missing since Brett Mullins was on the paddock. With Savage on the other wing, we now have that strike power.
Last edited by Bulldog on April 8, 2024, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

mobrulesall wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:32 am
Botman wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:22 am I didn’t watch the game but I have seen the highlights and it is baffling to me people are saying Schiller should be dropped for Hoppa on the basis of defences

His read on the Kennedy kick through the line, also garbage. Stay on your winger, back Timoko to do his job.

He does, but he is the best of cotric, hopoate and anyone else vying for that right wing spot, so you stick with him and help him improve.
That's what coaches should do. He has the skill and the speed and potential to be a great first grade player.
Extend him Donny
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That’s it!
The coaches get paid too. This is a young player performing extremely well in areas that can’t be coach and struggling in very correctable areas

So coach him up. Help him improve. He’ll naturally improve with experience anyways.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Asomua is a good halfway point between Hoppa and Schiller and is developing nicely. He has the tough carries and size to defend but he isn't so painfully slow or afflicted with crab running that he can't finish or create opportunities in attack. I think they should just take a couple of bumps a game (which I reckon are exaggerated anyway) and persist with Schiller but I'd rather Asomua if he does get replaced down the line.
Last edited by NoMan on April 8, 2024, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m scoring out of 10, Schiller a 8 as an attacking weapon and a 3 defensively.

Hopoate I can only give a 3 attacking and a 5 defensive.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Ive got no real issues with Schiller. He made mistakes but they can be fixed.
Hoppa makes mistakes but doesn't make length of the field runs , or beats his man with pace. Schiller is what we need in the team.

I really hope Hoppa just doesnt come straight back in.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

mobrulesall wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:17 am Loved it, although it's hard not think that it should have been 41-0. Schiller is a defensive liability. Sharks did the same **** to him last week (and last year for that matter)
Without Schiller we're not scoring 41 points.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:57 am That’s it!
The coaches get paid too. This is a young player performing extremely well in areas that can’t be coach and struggling in very correctable areas

So coach him up. Help him improve. He’ll naturally improve with experience anyways.
That's the key. His flaws are coachable. His speed and attacking flair are not.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Schiller scored 1 try, let in 2. If he can flip those numbers I can live with it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think it’s going a bit too far to make comparisons between James Schiller and Brett Mullins… sure they are related… but… 😮
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Schiller needs to work on his defensive positioning and make sure that he is putting his body in front of the opposition winger and then trust the inside men to help out rather than getting drawn in. This is a pretty fixable problem.

His little stutter step and then accelerate down the wing past the defender is something I would love to see a lot more of this season. There's enough upside to persist with him given that we have seen the benefit of having wingers with genuine pace.

Seeing Savage cut inside into the space for his long range try was extremely enjoyable. He seems to be building in confidence week by week and with his pace and footwork is a genuinely exciting player.

The team generally defended very well last night, particularly in stopping the Eels from offloading and getting second phase play. We really didn't allow them to get a lot of attacking play going through dominating field position and good discipline. Let's do that every week please!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:59 am
mobrulesall wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:17 am Loved it, although it's hard not think that it should have been 41-0. Schiller is a defensive liability. Sharks did the same **** to him last week (and last year for that matter)
Without Schiller we're not scoring 41 points.
Without Schiller, they weren't scoring 8. He needs to get on top of that defence.

I think he will though, and I very much like what I'm seeing. It feels a bit odd to have a Raiders side with speed to burn, but it's very nice to see it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hudson pass to Savage was perfect too. He threw it quickly at the hole for Xavier to run into.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Why is it Schiller for hoppa though. TBH i maybe lean slightly schiller in that conversation because he has nice rythm in attack and I agree with you that I am not sure hoppas much better in defence.

The conversation should be Schiller for Cotric. For me whilst cotric has slightly less rythm in attack, cotric feels safer and his a far far better defender. If Schiller can sort his defensive issues out thats fine, but that last try his attempt was embarassing. Even if Sivo still scores he was caught in his no man land that he loves to be, but since sivo wasnt moving had enough time (and sivo a lack aof space) to get across there and he fell off like a wet rag.

Also for the other commentators comparing schiller to savage you are dreaming.. Savage is way more dangerous in attack and imo he is a more effective defender.

Excellent game though and cracking officiating.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He spent all pre-season and reserves playing centre. It's almost like he needs to relearn how to defender as a winger. If you hit Sivo with everything and he still scores fair enough but it was like he went into that second attempt already thinking he was going to be beaten.
Night and day with his defense at centre where he has shown some real attitude. He's probably got 1 more game to show improvement before the inevitable hoppa return and he's likely back at centre in NSW cup.
We're going to miss that speed.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

mobrulesall wrote:

He does.

Hopoate is not the answer either.

From what I have been told there is a bit of an attitude issue there with Schiller. I hope games like this highlight to him that he needs to be better and his teammates will expect it.

There's no way a Craig Bellamy coached team puts up with that **** on the reg.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:Schiller scored 1 try, let in 2. If he can flip those numbers I can live with it.
If anyone watches the try he scored and doesn't think that 99% of competent NRL wingers should score that thing, they are watching a different game to me.

Sivo tackles Timoko 10 metres infield and the cover defence was a further 3 or 4 metres away. He had a mile of space.

But yeah, if he scores 2 tries every game from now on maybe the coach will be happy with him conceding one. Can't see it happening.