Sharks issued with $5000 fine for trainer’s breach

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Sharks issued with $5000 fine for trainer’s breach

Post by Ultima »

‘Pretty disappointed’: Raiders to lodge complaint over Sharks trainer’s bizarre move

The Canberra Raiders will reportedly lodge a formal complaint with the NRL after claiming a Sharks trainer purposely tried to distract goalkicker Jamal Fogarty as he was attempting an important sideline conversion. The Raiders were trailing 30-22 with just over seven minutes on the clock at the time of the kick following a James Schiller try. A successful conversion would have put Canberra to within a try.

Footage from Fox Sports cameras captured Sharks trainer Daniel Holdsworth running down the sideline just metres from Fogarty as he was running into kick.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 23080288b2

Raiders to lodge formal complaint with NRL over Sharks trainer: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/raider ... 5fgkh.html

I thought it looked odd during the live coverage too:
Ultima wrote: March 31, 2024, 6:55 pm .... Did that trainer run past him as he was kicking to put him off?
Goal kicking in general the refs don't seem like they want to enforce any of the rules. I keep waiting for a kicker to complain players aren't behind the line during a kick and demanding a do over.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders to lodge complaint over Sharks trainer

Post by Botman »

That incident was popping off on my group chats
I was too annoyed at the level of football we were playing to be too concerned about it in the moment but I think it’s a fair complaint

Trainer has no business being in a position where he could adversely impact the goal kicker
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

We have to keep asking these questions, but stop airing them in public.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why should we stay quiet? I don’t understand why so many people say “shush” when we’re just standing up for ourselves. We shouldn’t stay silent when we’re not being given a fair go. The people at the NRL in Sydney would prefer to ignore us, and have things swept under the carpet.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think the Sharks trainer should be tasered.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

-PJ- wrote: April 2, 2024, 12:06 pm I think the Sharks trainer should be tasered.
Or be forced to watch 12 continuous hours of Raiders grindball highlights
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Rickmando wrote: April 2, 2024, 12:20 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 2, 2024, 12:06 pm I think the Sharks trainer should be tasered.
A Clockwork Orange style. Eyelid clamps and the 12 hour montage with The Mighty Green Machine played an octave lower on repeat.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Lamenting Actions wrote: April 2, 2024, 12:50 pm
A Clockwork Orange style. Eyelid clamps and the 12 hour montage with The Mighty Green Machine played an octave lower on repeat.
The Hague would never allow it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Why should we stay quiet? I don’t understand why so many people say “shush” when we’re just standing up for ourselves. We shouldn’t stay silent when we’re not being given a fair go. The people at the NRL in Sydney would prefer to ignore us, and have things swept under the carpet.
Cause when it has zero impact on the outcome of the game they just look like a sook and a sore loser

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Lamenting Actions wrote: April 2, 2024, 12:50 pm
“OK Holdsworth, here’s every failed Raiders crash ball inside attacking 20 since 2014. We’ll see how smug you are at the end of the week”
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I like the cut of your jib.

PS what's a jib?

PPS does PJ work for NSW police?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Imagine the only complaint our football club had over the game was the shark's trainer and not the abysmal football we play....
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Haha
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

GreenMachine wrote: April 2, 2024, 1:40 pm Imagine the only complaint our football club had over the game was the shark's trainer and not the abysmal football we play....
I mean I get that it's not a great look from the Sharks trainer, but given how terribly amateurish we played it just stinks of sour grapes.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: April 2, 2024, 1:40 pm Imagine the only complaint our football club had over the game was the shark's trainer and not the abysmal football we play....
I mean I get that it's not a great look from the Sharks trainer, but given how terribly amateurish we played it just stinks of sour grapes.
That's the downside. It's a completely reasonable thing to complain about. The trainer I no right to do it. But coming from the losing team it just looks like whinging.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2024, 11:37 am Why should we stay quiet? I don’t understand why so many people say “shush” when we’re just standing up for ourselves. We shouldn’t stay silent when we’re not being given a fair go. The people at the NRL in Sydney would prefer to ignore us, and have things swept under the carpet.
Don't you mean they'd prefer we would "wither on the vine"?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: April 2, 2024, 1:08 pm
greeneyed wrote:Why should we stay quiet? I don’t understand why so many people say “shush” when we’re just standing up for ourselves. We shouldn’t stay silent when we’re not being given a fair go. The people at the NRL in Sydney would prefer to ignore us, and have things swept under the carpet.
Cause when it has zero impact on the outcome of the game they just look like a sook and a sore loser

It will have no impact on the outcome of the game, but it should have an impact on ensuring that procedures are fair and reasonable in the future. The NRL isn't protecting our interests unless we stand up for ourselves... who cares what Sharks fans think?
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Yeah this whole talk about how it looks is dumb. Nobody at the club is claiming it cost us the game and it isn't unreasonable to want to hold the trainer accountable.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

I don't post often, but by god do I browse on here full time. It's like a sandpit filled with decent jokes. The aggro thing some of you have going on against each other is also hilarious.

I had to say something. I love yous all.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote:I think the Sharks trainer should be tasered.
Lol.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 2, 2024, 2:48 pm
Azza wrote:
That's the downside. It's a completely reasonable thing to complain about. The trainer I no right to do it. But coming from the losing team it just looks like whinging.
I think if you listen to Ricky's press conference we are certainly not blaming the trainer
Vaccinated
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

cat wrote:
Azza wrote:
I think if you listen to Ricky's press conference we are certainly not blaming the trainer
I did not say that we did. Just commenting on the optics of it.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 2, 2024, 5:20 pm
cat wrote:
Azza wrote:
Yeah exactly. There’s one goose in this thread who always tries to assume the moral high ground and call everybody else dumb, but when we turned in such a terrible performance the optics absolutely are worth calling attention to.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'There's no way he can get in trouble' says former Sharks forward Paul Gallen, while Raiders left fuming

The NRL is considering issuing the Cronulla Sharks with a breach notice after Raiders officials lodged a formal complaint over the actions of Sharks trainer Daniel Holdsworth. He ran close by Raiders halfback Jamal Fogarty, just as the half was taking a crucial conversion attempt from the sideline.

"The Sharks trainer is something we're considering at the moment," NRL head of football Graham Annesley said. "Any of those sorts of things have potential for breach notices issued to clubs. That ultimately goes through a different internal process and that can take a couple of days for that to happen.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Azza wrote: April 2, 2024, 5:27 pm
cat wrote:
Azza wrote:
Yeah exactly. There’s one goose in this thread who always tries to assume the moral high ground and call everybody else dumb, but when we turned in such a terrible performance the optics absolutely are worth calling attention to.
Are you suggesting you can only complain if you win? Anyway I can assure both the winning team and losing team whinge to the NRL after every game.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

How about the Iro try for starters ? Yet the try that Strange scored v Warriors was denied ?

The NRL spends a **** load of money on the bunker but still cannot get it right
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Riaan wrote: April 2, 2024, 5:53 pm
Azza wrote: April 2, 2024, 5:27 pm
cat wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: April 2, 2024, 2:48 pm That's the downside. It's a completely reasonable thing to complain about. The trainer I no right to do it. But coming from the losing team it just looks like whinging.
Are you suggesting you can only complain if you win? Anyway I can assure both the winning team and losing team whinge to the NRL after every game.
If that response would irritate you the most, then yes.
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

Azza wrote: April 2, 2024, 1:26 pm

PS what's a jib?

Hi Azza,
A jib is the triangular sail at the front of a ship. I believe the particular shape (cut) of the jib on old ships made their nationality recognisable from a distance.

Also, to be included in the lowlights reel could be Starling refuse to pass to anyone after making a brief run / receiving an offload.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Coastalraider wrote:We have to keep asking these questions, but stop airing them in public.
Yeah, that won’t work at all
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Travis wrote: April 2, 2024, 7:02 pm
Azza wrote: April 2, 2024, 1:26 pm

PS what's a jib?

Hi Azza,
A jib is the triangular sail at the front of a ship. I believe the particular shape (cut) of the jib on old ships made their nationality recognisable from a distance.

Also, to be included in the lowlights reel could be Starling refuse to pass to anyone after making a brief run / receiving an offload.
Thank you. PS is the poop deck really what I think it is?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2024, 3:22 pm

It will have no impact on the outcome of the game, but it should have an impact on ensuring that procedures are fair and reasonable in the future. The NRL isn't protecting our interests unless we stand up for ourselves... who cares what Sharks fans think?
This thread is bonkers GE. I think you've actually managed to find a group of people who want trainers more involved in the game.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Raider Azz wrote: April 2, 2024, 3:27 pm Yeah this whole talk about how it looks is dumb. Nobody at the club is claiming it cost us the game and it isn't unreasonable to want to hold the trainer accountable.
And that's all it is.

Trainers annoy me. Watching them on the field all game is frustrating.

Holdsworth was a former goal kicker off memory, and a mediocre NRL player.

He should know better than to go anywhere near the goal kicker.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 2, 2024, 8:39 pm

This thread is bonkers GE. I think you've actually managed to find a group of people who want trainers more involved in the game.
We actually have our own fans saying we shouldn’t be raising this issue… after what happened in the 2019 Grand Final!

Incidentally, our own fans are worried about how our club “looks” to other fans. You should see how other fans are carrying on on some social media platforms over this. It has actually reached ridiculous, hilarious “heights”.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2024, 9:35 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 2, 2024, 8:39 pm

We actually have our own fans saying we shouldn’t be raising this issue… after what happened in the 2019 Grand Final!

Incidentally, our own fans are worried about how our club “looks” to other fans. You should see how other fans are carrying on on some social media platforms over this. It has actually reached ridiculous, hilarious “heights”.
I’ve been critical of the club playing victim in the past and shifting blame for poor performance but I’ve no issues with the way this has been raised. It wasn’t a heat of the moment emotional issue in the presser it was a respectful please explain. I noted the trainer’s actions in the game day thread - it seemed a very deliberate action to put Fog off the kick. That said I wouldn’t have been totally shocked if it was the Raiders runner :lol: But given it was the sharks runner they deserve whatever comes their way which I’m guessing won’t be much.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm sure there's many views from jilted fans about us having no right to complain, but this deserves to be highlighted.

If a player or official crosses that in-goal line and walks up the field while a player is attempting the conversion, two things should happen.

1. The player takes his shot again if he misses, and

2. A penalty is blown and a second goal attempt is taken in front of the sticks, just like if a player commits foul play after a try is scored.

That way it won't happen again.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk