'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by greeneyed »

'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Canberra Raiders keen for Trey Mooney to stay

The Canberra Raiders "1 million per cent" want to keep young bull Trey Mooney and will do everything they can to lock him in long-term.

"We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey," Raiders recruitment manager Joel Carbone said. "I can't be any more emphatic. We want to keep Trey and we're going to do what we can to keep Trey."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by dubby »

Good to hear
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by BadnMean »

*Everything except stop picking ploders ahead of him that is.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

That’s a lot of percent!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

BadnMean wrote: April 4, 2024, 5:32 pm *Everything except stop picking ploders ahead of him that is.
Makes me wonder if this is manager instigated
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: April 4, 2024, 5:32 pm That’s a lot of percent!
It sounds like their serious.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:
reptar wrote: April 4, 2024, 5:32 pm That’s a lot of percent!
It sounds like their serious.
You’d hope so. Otherwise that’s wasting a lot of percent.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Good news. I'd guess they are stuck on the exact dollar figure then.

*edit* actually reading the article it seems it is about not been assured of a start yet.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

Send Parra Cotric and Guler for Sanders this year... kill two birds with one stone... frees up a spot and money for Mooney too. (I know this won't happen)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Of course we want to keep him
It’s never been in question for me that we want to keep him

The question is can we achieve that given the pathway we’ve presented to him thus far?
I have my doubts. But I’m I think he’s got superstar potential and we should do whatever it takes to keep him. Including prioritising getting him NRL opportunities ahead players with lower ceilings.
I think he’d be crazy to stay here if he’s not a regular in FG by years end
He’s too good to wait around any longer for opportunities
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

IBG wrote: April 4, 2024, 5:59 pm Send Parra Cotric and Guler for Sanders this year... kill two birds with one stone... frees up a spot and money for Mooney too. (I know this won't happen)
Guler to the Bulldogs makes so much sense for all involved that I’m angry it hasn’t happened yet
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

How do we get more than 100%

Good to hear we want his future here.
Hopefully Sticky has explained the path to him and he is accepting of that path.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d be more confident if it was 2 million %. It’s like they don’t even like him 😂
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

The thing that bothers me is, Trey himself genuinely comes off as if he loves Canberra, loves the raiders and would love to be here long term. If he leaves, it is because of mismanagement and nothing else.

In saying that, he came out a month ago and said to the effect “we have depth in our forward pack but im knocking on the door pushing for a spot. It’s exciting we have a young squad and I think we are going to do something special”.

As I said, he comes across as genuine and someone who loves the raiders. When we debuted him, he was either 19 or recently turned 20. He is only 21 now and you don’t often see 19 year old props bar Payne Haas so the club hasn’t delayed him too much. I think they could have used him earlier last year and I think he is ready for 2024 now.

I’m a bit more confident that he will be a raider long term now.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I know hes unreal and has a lot of upside, but should we be blowing all our percent cap on one player?
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

so where's he off to then?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

I think it could be a strategy keeping him in cup, i’m sure ricky and the coaching staff have been telling him that hes playing at the quality but is that last step away from being in the NRL. In a similar way to what the Sharks have been doing with Iro.

I’m assuming that Papa is looking to go around a bit longer and based of what i’ve seen it looks like it’ll be in CBR, after he’s done Mooney is a ready made replacement.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If we wanted to keep him 1,000,000 per cent, why is he off contract? Why wasn’t he signed up before he was off contract.

We saw Trey’s dad coming on The GH Facebook page in last week or so… and basically he doesn’t know what else Trey has to do to get a run in firsts. Which suggests Trey doesn’t know either. Seems to a communication breakdown. Communication breakdown.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:If we wanted to keep him 1,000,000 per cent, why is he off contract? Why wasn’t he signed up before he was off contract.

We saw Trey’s dad coming on The GH Facebook page in last week or so… and basically he doesn’t know what else Trey has to do to get a run in firsts. Which suggests Trey doesn’t know either. Seems to a communication breakdown. Communication breakdown.
Havin’ a nervous breakdown…
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

reptar wrote: April 4, 2024, 7:37 pm
greeneyed wrote:If we wanted to keep him 1,000,000 per cent, why is he off contract? Why wasn’t he signed up before he was off contract.

Seems to be a nervous breakdown. Nervous breakdown.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 4, 2024, 7:31 pm If we wanted to keep him 1,000,000 per cent, why is he off contract? Why wasn’t he signed up before he was off contract.

Bodes ill and is completely understandable
He should have played FG in every game so far this year imo. I think if given the same opportunities there is a reasonable chance he'd prove to be better than even Ata.

The Saulo re-signing continues to baffle me. He's the exact sort of player we should have been comfortable letting go because we can replace him with internal promotions with younger, better talent. Guler is someone now we should be on the phone to the dogs about... good players, NRL footballers... no doubt it in my mind. But i keep saying it, a club like ours simply cannot afford to settle for C and B players at the expense of A+ talents.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Finchy wrote:

Drive me insane.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: April 4, 2024, 8:03 pm
Finchy wrote:

Drive me insane.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Having Pasami Saulo and Emre Guler the reason why we lose Trey Mooney is gonna go down as one our greatest ****.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Raider47 wrote:Having Pasami Saulo and Emre Guler the reason why we lose Trey Mooney is gonna go down as one our greatest ****.
Nah. There was that American that Tim Sheens recruited….
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

reptar wrote: April 4, 2024, 8:14 pm
Raider47 wrote:Having Pasami Saulo and Emre Guler the reason why we lose Trey Mooney is gonna go down as one our greatest ****.
Wasn't he a sprinter from Sierra Leone who then tested positive for PEDs?
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Can only speculate why Trey hasn't been given more of a run to date:

(a) Stick has seen something in his game (i.e. defensive/play the ball issues) that he wants Trey to work on before giving him more of a run in first grade. Personally I think this would be abit over the top/fastidious given the qualities he offers with his yardage/physicality;

(b) The club is deliberately bringing him on slowly because he is only 21 and front rowers tend to peak later in their careers. Having seen the amount of injuries Payne Haas has also suffered now, there are risks with bringing on young front rowers too early given the physicality of the position;

(c) Trey has essentially indicated he wants to leave for another opportunity back in Sydney and or has basically agreed to terms with another club.

(d) It's been a deliberate tactic by the club to hold him back abit to keep his market value down.

Most likely option b I think but we will lose him if we aren't careful.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

BadnMean wrote:
Yeah, might be. No James Brow, though.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Actions, words… etc etc

The best way to keep him at the club is reward his fantastic form by playing him in first grade, you muppets
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bloody_Burnham wrote: April 4, 2024, 8:17 pm Can only speculate why Trey hasn't been given more of a run to date:

(a) Stick has seen something in his game (i.e. defensive/play the ball issues) that he wants Trey to work on before giving him more of a run in first grade. Personally I think this would be abit over the top/fastidious given the qualities he offers with his yardage/physicality;

(b) The club is deliberately bringing him on slowly because he is only 21 and front rowers tend to peak later in their careers. Having seen the amount of injuries Payne Haas has also suffered now, there are risks with bringing on young front rowers too early given the physicality of the position;

(c) Trey has essentially indicated he wants to leave for another opportunity back in Sydney and or has basically agreed to terms with another club.

(d) It's been a deliberate tactic by the club to hold him back abit to keep his market value down.

Most likely option b I think but we will lose him if we aren't careful.
I can only go on what Trey’s father has said on Facebook… that is, Trey wants to stay with the Raiders and play on with the team mates he’s come through with, and knows there’s something special about to happen. So I reckon we can get rid of (c).

There’s no doubt other clubs are approaching him and want him though. That’s what happens when a club decides to let a player go off contract and on the open market.

I honestly don’t get what the club is doing.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:
Horace Dove-Edwin, there's a blast from the past!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

That’s what I mean! It seems like he loves the club, he is the best player in cup… what’s the bloody issue!?!?

There’s a small part of me that thinks it’s age related and just trying to perfect his game in cup in preparation for a long career but even then, I don’t completely get the logic - mere optimism perhaps.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 4, 2024, 9:23 pm That’s what I mean! It seems like he loves the club, he is the best player in cup… what’s the bloody issue!?!?

There’s a small part of me that thinks it’s age related and just trying to perfect his game in cup in preparation for a long career but even then, I don’t completely get the logic - mere optimism perhaps.
All we have as fans is hopes and dreams
I too have the same dream
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

How do you think he'd look in red?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: April 4, 2024, 9:36 pm How do you think he'd look in red?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Great. He'd look good in any colour.
Including lime green. :cry: