Matt Timoko re-signs to end 2026

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Matt Timoko re-signs to end 2026

Post by -TW- »

Matt Timoko re-signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2026, option for two more years

The Canberra Raiders are excited to announce the re-signing of New Zealand International Matt Timoko on a new deal with the club. Timoko, 24, has agreed to a new deal until the end of the 2026 season, with an option for a further two seasons.

The club’s 2021 Rookie of the Year has had a rapid rise into the NRL, with 20 tries in his 64 appearances to date, capping off a superb season in 2023 with selection for New Zealand in their three post season international fixtures.

Timoko said the decision to remain with the Raiders was an easy one and he wanted to be part of what the club was building towards and help guide the next generation of Raiders.

“This club has done a lot. The big thing I can see with this club is there is a clear pathway of where they want to get to and there’s a lot of emerging talent and I really believe that this club can do a lot of special things over the next couple of years, so I’m happy to be on board, be along with the journey and help some of the younger guys coming through too,” Timoko said.

“It’s good seeing some of the young boys now coming in and not only playing a role but exceeding their roles and playing a really big part in these first couple of games.

“It’s early days at the moment but I really feel this club is going to be special this year. Not only this year but the coming years as well. It’s awesome to be part of the journey and to help guide those boys as well.”

Timoko said he’s looking to continue building his own game to become a better player and said his experiences playing representative football have helped him see where he can get to.

“[My goals this year is to] just keep improving. Keep finding little things in my game to work on, I think this year and in the pre-season I’ve worked a lot on my defence so that’s something I want to change up a bit this year,” he said.

“Just learning little things I can along the way, especially with the Maori All Stars and also the NZ Kiwis, I was picking up little things to take back to the way I train and play at club level and I think that’s helped my game massively.”

Raiders NRL recruitment Manager Joel Carbone said the club was thrilled to have Timoko remain in green and he would continue to be a big part of the plans moving forward.

“Matt is a great example of a young player who came here for an opportunity and has gone on to develop into not only a wonderful NRL player but an international player,” Carbone said. “We’re really excited to see where Matt can take his game over the next few years, and we believe he will only continue to improve and be a big part of any success we have in the future.”

Canberra Raiders media release

Raiders young gun extends Canberra contract

Raiders centre Matt Timoko has re-signed for one more year, with options for another two, keeping him at the club until at least the end of 2026.

"We all see the direction the club's going in. We started off with a bang this year and we definitely want to try and work on that," Timoko said. "We're only going to build on all our connections and trust. That's definitely the big thing."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Matt Timoko re-signs to end 2026

Post by NoMan »

Good work by the club. Wonder what type of option though? If its player then fair to say its just a 1 year extension.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Certainly cant complain about that. Good business to lock in a young star in his prime.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sweet!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Great news. Love watching Timoko wind up for a run.

Get him more ball!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NoMan wrote: April 5, 2024, 8:24 am Good work by the club. Wonder what type of option though? If its player then fair to say its just a 1 year extension.
Unusually, listed just as “Opt.” on NRL.com rather than the usual CO, PO or MO.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Awesome news, quality talent. Top tier NRL centre already.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Great player, very strong.

Awesome news.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Very happy about this.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m 1 million percent supportive of this.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Plenty say Canberra sucks to live, well, we have a fair few international and origin players that love the place, but it seems the guys we have genuinely love it.
Sucks to be a rooster fan right now lol
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

AND
He needs the ball in his hands at least 1 time every set. Or second set
He makes things happen
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He is one of those players like Papa and Hodgson who has just looked at home in the NRL since game 1. Great to have such a reliable contributer locked in.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Great re-signing.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Great news