Ethan Strange re-signs with Raiders to end 2028

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders look to extend Ethan Strange contract

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Rickmando wrote: April 8, 2024, 8:11 am You only have to look at halves we have had over the past 20 years - Ethan Strange 5 games into his career has the potential to be better than all of them. He doesn’t seem to have any glaring weak points to his game.

Let’s go all-in on him. If we don’t, someone else will…
Yep. Those saying $700k is too much - the fact is there aren't many quality halves in the game at the moment. If you've got one in your system that you think you can work with, then you lock him in imo.

Or we wait until after November when he can negotiate on the market, and if he continues on his upwards trajectory we might be looking at forking out more to keep him. Titans, Dragons, possibly Souths and Cowboys will be looking at halves come November.

It's not a wild figure under the new cap to pay for a half. If he develops into a rep quality 6 or even close to, then $700k is looking like big unders in 2028. Worth noting that Latu Fainu was paid $500k a year to go to Tigers with zero NRL experience, Sullivan I think was at least $600k/year and he's pretty ordinary, Katoa re-signed for $650k/year recently. If the reported figures for Strange are accurate we're paying slight overs on the going rate for talented young halves.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Recruiting and signing anyone, especially young players is a risk, its mostly on potential.
Even us numptys can see that Strange is going to be special.So lock him up. Pay him on his potential.

If it takes getting his dad and sister to be part of the club, make that happen too.
raider1981
David Shillington

Post by raider1981 »

We better lock him up before Roosters go after him.
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Concur. Get him locked in.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

raider1981 wrote:We better lock him up before Roosters go after him.
Surely a young half wants to avoid Roosters after the way they’ve treated some of their past halves.

I wouldn’t want that spotlight and performance pressure that early in my career. Develop your skills and reap the benefits long term at a place where you’re currently developing well.
raider1981
David Shillington

Post by raider1981 »

Looks promising.

'Huge upgrade' looms for gun teenager who replaced Jack Wighton

It's taken just five weeks for unknown youngster Ethan Strange to prove himself in the No. 6. And the youngster, currently on a paltry contract, is set for a huge upgrade and extension in the coming days.

"We are set to talk about a new deal in the next few days," Strange's manager Gavin Orr said. "Ricky has been really impressed by him and Ethan loves the club so things are falling into place nicely."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2024- ... 825f00e469
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

raider1981 wrote: April 10, 2024, 10:32 am Looks promising.

'Huge upgrade' looms for gun teenager who replaced Jack Wighton

It's taken just five weeks for unknown youngster Ethan Strange to prove himself in the No. 6. And the youngster, currently on a paltry contract, is set for a huge upgrade and extension in the coming days.

"We are set to talk about a new deal in the next few days," Strange's manager Gavin Orr said. "Ricky has been really impressed by him and Ethan loves the club so things are falling into place nicely."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2024- ... 825f00e469
That's the final cherry on the top for me. I knew he loved the club already by hearing the story from his Dad about Ethan roasting the Roosters in their household, but hearing it straight from his manager is nice.

I understand what you meant about the Roosters btw. His dad is still there as their NRLW coach. I always had this fear he'd want to be with his old man at some point, but it seems like he knows what he wants and is going to stick with it. Plus, like LimeGreen suggested below, get his old man and sister here instead.
LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 8, 2024, 11:15 am Recruiting and signing anyone, especially young players is a risk, its mostly on potential.
Even us numptys can see that Strange is going to be special. So lock him up. Pay him on his potential.

If it takes getting his dad and sister to be part of the club, make that happen too.
Last edited by Lamenting Actions on April 10, 2024, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: April 7, 2024, 9:06 pm
Finchy wrote: April 7, 2024, 8:54 pm Anyone missing Wighton? Nope? Let's make sure Ethan gets paid.
Jack went to Redfern to win a comp.
He went to win a trophy PJ, not thinking it could be made of wood.

I hope we do get the extension done with Ethan Strange very soon. He is only missing the FG experience which he is gaining each week. He looks so comfortable in FG it is hard to believe he is still a teen ager. He has a comfortable maturity about his play, particularly in defence. When he hits the accelerator and steps he is proving very hard to contain. Early days yet, but the talent is obvious. Get it done DFJ.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

I am genuinely interested to know why Sanders, Strange and Stewart chose the Raiders. I assume they have/had other clubs nipping at their heels.

Maybe it is the perceived pathway to FG? Maybe it is Ricky Stuart, or a combination.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

President Clinton wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:14 pm I am genuinely interested to know why Sanders, Strange and Stewart chose the Raiders. I assume they have/had other clubs nipping at their heels.

Maybe it is the perceived pathway to FG? Maybe it is Ricky Stuart, or a combination.
If the figures being quoted are remotely accurate, they did it because we paid them a LOT.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

President Clinton wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:14 pm I am genuinely interested to know why Sanders, Strange and Stewart chose the Raiders. I assume they have/had other clubs nipping at their heels.

Ethan Strange said it was because of Sticky. Let’s be real, it’s all because of Sticky - he provides a clear path/plan to the player and their family.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You could just say the Raiders moved them... TO A BIGGER HOUSE!
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

One of my best mates is on the medical staff of the Raiders, mostly working with the juniors. Through him I have had a pretty good look atthe system of culling the junior roster to its final numbers. It is a very scientific process and rigorous. A couple of years ago there were two players who made it to the final camp out in the bush on the Lake George escarpment. During questioning about an incident they both told a lie. They were both sent home immediately.

Stuart doesnt play a big part in that level of recruitment, it is mostly in the hands of Souttar. But when he does turn up he is regarded as GOD. Those young blokes almost literally revere him. (which makes me chuckle when some numpties on here disparage his interpersonal skills etc). But when the playing roster is finalised he and the other coaches maintain close contact with the families of the players. Nothing pertaining to their career is decided without reference to the families. Despite his reputation, Rick is a very personable guy, very easy to get along with. But he hates disloyalty.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:49 pm

If the figures being quoted are remotely accurate, they did it because we paid them a LOT.
I’d say that, plus a rapid development path to first grade. The club’s reputation as a development club is strong.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

When it comes to Strange’s contract, Donny needs to down a little blue pill and make it large and long.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:55 pm

Ethan Strange said it was because of Sticky. Let’s be real, it’s all because of Sticky - he provides a clear path/plan to the player and their family.
There have been a few players who've said it was the phone call or meeting with Ricky that clinched it.

I wish we were able to land some big names occasionally and think we should go back to the England well regularly too.

But you can't fault our junior pathways or selection lately.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Lock in for sure. This kid is something special.

Looks like a smart player, nice step, speed, great running game and solid D. Is there a better 19 yr old in the comp today?

If I had to choose a team to play for my life and needed to pick between Wighton and Strange as 6 on todays form, I'd pick Strange.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ethan Strange agrees to terms for a new deal which will keep him at the Canberra Raiders for next five seasons

The Raiders have landed a major recruitment coup in the form of upgrading and extending young gun five-eighth Ethan Strange. Strange, 19, will remain with the Green Machine for at least the next five seasons after coming to terms on a new deal on Wednesday.

The next piece of the Raiders emerging talent raid is tipped to fall into place next week when Eels rookie Ethan Sanders also signs with the Raiders.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 18d2be1d28

Talking about close to if not already signed a four year deal.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Ethan Strange agrees to terms for four year contract extension

Post by Rick »

Awesome news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Great for the future of the club. Looking good for Sanders too.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

This is great news.
Nothing is guaranteed but the potential is that we have a superstar.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fantastic. I was worried that with his Dads connections, as soon as he looked promising the Roosters would come knocking.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Wow! This is sensational news.

Jack Wighton was a great raider and I’m not as down on him as others. I still hope he has a good run at south’s and I appreciate everything he did for us.

When his contract came up I acknowledged he was close to our best player but questioned whether you keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result. I thought it was a fair counter argument from some that there wasn’t a ready made replacement on the market. I have no doubt if it was up to the club we would have kept Jack and the supporters would be happy with that outcome. I also know that would mean we could not have obtained all three of Stewart, Sanders and Strange if we kept Jack.

No disrespect to Jack, but we are in a very exciting position as a club and much better than where we were 12 months ago. The avid fans like GE who watch the juniors may have had these 3 kids on the radar but I suspect most of us hadn’t heard much about these lads.

We need to learn that nobody is irreplaceable and there is always talent coming through. We put a huge value on longevity and loyalty, and madly celebrate players who run out 300 times with little consideration for what success they brought over that very long period. We defend their selection by saying “there is nobody obviously better on the market”.

Maybe Stewart, Strange and Sanders might not all go on to have the stellar careers we hope, but if nothing else I hope we learned not to be afraid of change. Jack moving on wasn’t a brave move from the club because it was Jacks call. But I really hope we have learned that nobody is irreplaceable and sometimes when you roll the dice you end up with a better score.

What an exciting time for the club!
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 11, 2024, 6:08 am Fantastic. I was worried that with his Dads connections, as soon as he looked promising the Roosters would come knocking.
My immediate thought was that he’ll come off contract as he is entering his prime.

Jaded Raiders fan!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

President Clinton wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: April 11, 2024, 6:08 am Fantastic. I was worried that with his Dads connections, as soon as he looked promising the Roosters would come knocking.
My immediate thought was that he’ll come off contract as he is entering his prime.

Jaded Raiders fan!
True. But by then he will have had 6 years in first grade. Established stars don't generally jump ship unless squeezed out. Jack being the obvious exception.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Fantastic news.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nice. :)

Not often you lock in a good spine player early in his career like that. Hopefully Sanders and Stewart prove to be the goods too.

It's been a long time since we had a bit of good fortune with young key position players having their heads screwed on.

I still wonder what could have been with Dugan, Carney, Campo and Milford.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 11, 2024, 8:04 am Nice. :)

Not often you lock in a good spine player early in his career like that. Hopefully Sanders and Stewart prove to be the goods too.

It's been a long time since we had a bit of good fortune with young key position players having their heads screwed on.

Campo was ruined by serious injuries, sadly.

Dugan and Carney were just stupid people.

Milford had a sick dad, which is a euphemism for dodgy Brisbane dealings.

Milford played some of his best footy here, and I was extremely annoyed that he knocked back over a million dollars from us, because Brisbane managed to...well we all know what happened.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

dubby wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 11, 2024, 8:04 am Nice. :)

Campo was ruined by serious injuries, sadly.

Dugan and Carney were just stupid people.

Milford had a sick dad, which is a euphemism for dodgy Brisbane dealings.

Milford played some of his best footy here, and I was extremely annoyed that he knocked back over a million dollars from us, because Brisbane managed to...well we all know what happened.
Yep, a combination of factors conspired against us over that period. I could add Zillman's injury and move to the Gold Coast to the list too.

Hopefully these guys are the goods. They're not the freakish talent the likes of Carney and Milford were, but they have enough potential to form a spine that could contend for a premiership in the right environment.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

He is a far more natural ball player than Jack Wighton.
Great news if he has agreed to an extension.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

How good is this!
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

If he keeps his projection going, he could very well be playing along side cleary for nsw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Sounds positive but I'll wait on the official announcement.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Can’t wipe the smile off my face, we are on the up and the sky is the limit with this team
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Great news ! The NSW Five Eighth spot is one of the most open in years. Cody hasn't had a good start. Luai hasn't really played well in SOO, and Brooks is unsuited as his defence is suspect. And Wighton has retired right ?

Strange has a chance to partner Cleary. Metcalf would be another bolter