Ethan Strange re-signs with Raiders to end 2028

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ethan Strange re-signs with Raiders to end 2028

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders open contract extension talks with rookie five eighth Ethan Strange

The Raiders have opened contract talks with rookie five-eighth, Ethan Strange, who has played all four Raiders games so far this season after taking over from Jack Wighton in the halves. Strange is contracted to Canberra until the end of 2025, but the Green Machine have moved to lock him in long-term.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: Raiders look to extend Ethan Strange contract

Post by Wiki Special »

Get it done!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

He has offered more so far than 2023 Jack, has shown how tough he is in defence and great running game, I'd like him to show he is more a half than a great centre, I'd like to see him aim for 2 or 3 kicks a game, just to gain experience, surely he can't boot them out like jack ? Surely ?
Very happy with him, its great if he wants to hang around
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Word on the grapevine (Sportress/Raiders podcast) is that he has agreed to re-sign until 2028 for 3 mill.

A spine of:

1. Chevy Stewart
6. Ethan Strange
7. Ethan Sanders
9. Danny ‘King’ Levi

Get it into my veins. Jokes aside, I’m very confident all three players make it in the NRL - doesn’t mean it works for us. Look at the tigers with Teddy, Moses and Brooks - it’s unlikely all our three get to as good or better than them and it still didn’t work for the tigers but again, I’m confident it will work for us - we have stability and a good culture which the tigers never had (but seems like they are building now) and we will have a premiership window in the near future.

2026?:

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Michael Asomua
6. Ethan Strange
7. Ethan Sanders
8. Ata Mariota
9. ?
10. Trey Mooney
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Hohepa Puru
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Noah Martin
18. Jordan Rapana (he is still going!)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 5, 2024, 9:16 pm Word on the grapevine (Sportress/Raiders podcast) is that he has agreed to re-sign until 2028 for 3 mill.
That’s not what I’ve heard. I guess we’ll see. But hopefully he will re-sign quickly.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

greeneyed wrote: April 5, 2024, 9:28 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 5, 2024, 9:16 pm Word on the grapevine (Sportress/Raiders podcast) is that he has agreed to re-sign until 2028 for 3 mill.
That’s not what I’ve heard. I guess we’ll see. But hopefully he will re-sign quickly.
Does that 3 mil include his 2025 salary?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kona_dream wrote: April 5, 2024, 10:03 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 5, 2024, 9:28 pm
Does that 3 mil include his 2025 salary?
You can read what’s written here: https://sportress.org/2024/04/03/a-strange-extension/

“… an extension to keep Ethan Strange at the club through the 2028 season… The reported wage of 700k a year (with a top up for 2024 to take the whole package to around $3m)…”

I don’t know whether we could regard it as a reliable source. But there it is!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sounds plausible.

I was in Melbourne for our game against the Storm last season when he had a tough defensive night and was hung out to dry by some of our senior players. The way he pushed though that and was working hard to positively impact the game at the end, and communicating with his teammates told me everything I needed to know about Ethan Strange. All the stuff you don't see on TV. From that game I was sold.

Lock him in. I love the way he plays and works hard to improve every outing.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders look to extend Ethan Strange contract

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote:Sounds plausible.
Yes, but the Raiders are saying they’ve only just started contract talks. Guess we’ll see how it pans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They’re not going to take chances
The club is betting on a strategy and he’s a core part of it

I do hope that the work they’re doing with the squad right now and the upgrades being done still afford them the opportunity to continue to press for a high quality player like Fifita if they become available
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Gee $700k is a lot. I'm not sure even Sam Walker is on that, I thought he was on around $500k
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Raiders look to extend Ethan Strange contract

Post by reptar »

Canberra Milk wrote:Gee $700k is a lot. I'm not sure even Sam Walker is on that, I thought he was on around $500k
That’s five hundred thousand sombreros.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

While I like the resigning, he's only played 5 FG games. $700,000 / year is too much. I don't see him setting up his outside runners. I hope his performances prove me wrong.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think you have to go chips in on this kid. He does the hard things easy and plays with a maturity beyond his age. Yep he’s only 5 games in but he will be special.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Comparatively the Eels upgraded Dylan Brown to $2m over 3 years after he had played 8 games or something
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

reptar wrote: April 6, 2024, 2:15 pm
Canberra Milk wrote:Gee $700k is a lot. I'm not sure even Sam Walker is on that, I thought he was on around $500k
That’s five hundred thousand sombreros.
Or thirty thousand Zambreros.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Anyone missing Wighton? Nope? Let's make sure Ethan gets paid.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Finchy wrote: April 7, 2024, 8:54 pm Anyone missing Wighton? Nope? Let's make sure Ethan gets paid.
Jack went to Redfern to win a comp.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I'd take Jack as a utility back. What's the NRL's going rate for those? 300k?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It'll happen
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

dubby wrote: April 7, 2024, 9:09 pmIt'll happen
What’ll happen?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I agree. Strong likelihood we end up getting Wighton back in 6 - 12 months when Souths blow everything up and he's shopped. I surely hope we have learned from bringing Cotric back that we need to have a more critical eye and also not partially bail our competitors out of dud deals.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 7, 2024, 9:26 pm I agree. Strong likelihood we end up getting Wighton back in 6 - 12 months when Souths blow everything up and he's shopped. I surely hope we have learned from bringing Cotric back that we need to have a more critical eye and also not partially bail our competitors out of dud deals.
Hmm I reckon they will shop Mitchell and Walker before they shop Wighton. They may though and it would be pretty funny us getting him back at say half the price we were going to pay him. It also depends on who their next coach is.

If it is Bennett they might not blow it up.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Wighton left town for a reason, he’s not coming back cause south’s aren’t winning
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Beejay wrote: April 7, 2024, 9:38 pm Wighton left town for a reason, he’s not coming back cause south’s aren’t winning
Wasn’t it to play with Latrell? Depends on if and how they blow it all up. But yeah if they blow it up, he’ll probably go to another Sydney team
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Ethan has showed tremendous signs of class for a very young half.
Great work to upgrade and extend now. He should be paid very well and I think the money discussed is fine.

Mentioned to death is some quality young talent coming through. I said in preseason, 2024 is the year of Strange. He’s ready, he’s strong and his defence is FG worthy.

Watching Chevy today I think a year in Cup will be just about right. He’ll be taking a sledgehammer to the front door in preseason ‘25.

E Sanders looks good. Warming to Cup. Still some time off, and if anything as a young controlling half, holding him back a touch would be advantageous. And isn’t Fogarty going to do that the way he’s grown a leg.
Also, don’t write off Adam Cook. For a late addition back into the squad, he was good in trials and every time I watch Cup he’s a standout. He was brilliant today again. He’s a better half than Weekes.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wouldn't be surprised if Weekes quietly slides out the back door and ends up in the super league

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah the last thing we need is Wighton.

Early last season I was hopeful his combo with Fogarty would evolve into something good. A few rounds in it was obvious his head was on another planet.

Glad he's moved on. Strange, Timoko, Kris and Smithies are killing it. We certainly don't need him.

I still worry about his long-term future though. He's in a bad environment.

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

The thing with strange is that he moves absurdly well. In particular how he can change direction. Opposition teams are starting to hang off him and that's opening up room on his edge that we are starting to exploit. Just him standing on the edge is a weapon right now. Combined with the speed of Kris and savage this is giving us a lot of nice attacking options

Fundamentally as a club we do have to go chip's in on him and hope he develops. I concur with the pay him group.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Post by Regs Revolution »

NoMan wrote: April 7, 2024, 9:07 pm I'd take Jack as a utility back. What's the NRL's going rate for those? 300k?
Has anyone had sex with an ex girlfriend? Prior to doing it, the idea of it sounds kind of exciting just to see what you've missed out on and the moment you do it, you’re filled with instant regret.

Let him be where he wants to be. Not with us.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Beejay wrote: April 7, 2024, 9:56 pm Ethan has showed tremendous signs of class for a very young half.
Great work to upgrade and extend now. He should be paid very well and I think the money discussed is fine.

Mentioned to death is some quality young talent coming through. I said in preseason, 2024 is the year of Strange. He’s ready, he’s strong and his defence is FG worthy.

Watching Chevy today I think a year in Cup will be just about right. He’ll be taking a sledgehammer to the front door in preseason ‘25.

E Sanders looks good. Warming to Cup. Still some time off, and if anything as a young controlling half, holding him back a touch would be advantageous. And isn’t Fogarty going to do that the way he’s grown a leg.
Also, don’t write off Adam Cook. For a late addition back into the squad, he was good in trials and every time I watch Cup he’s a standout. He was brilliant today again. He’s a better half than Weekes.
Cook has put his hand up this season. If Fog goes down with an injury he's our starting no7 IMO. Only 23 so plenty ahead for him. Has a solid 3 seasons of QLD Cup as a grounding.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Post by Regs Revolution »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 6, 2024, 9:36 pm While I like the resigning, he's only played 5 FG games. $700,000 / year is too much. I don't see him setting up his outside runners. I hope his performances prove me wrong.
Imo, worth it. I believe he has the ability to be the best 6 in the game in 3 years time.

He just does things differently. Hard to explain but he plays like he’s been in the game for 100 odd showings. I keep forgetting he’s only 19. He has a very high ceiling.
Last edited by Regs Revolution on April 8, 2024, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

You only have to look at halves we have had over the past 20 years - Ethan Strange 5 games into his career has the potential to be better than all of them. He doesn’t seem to have any glaring weak points to his game.

Let’s go all-in on him. If we don’t, someone else will…
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

I'm in the camp of pushing all our chips in on Strange. The best thing is he is the perfect 6 to pair with Fogarty short term and hopefully Sanders long term. And they are the perfect 7's to pair with him.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Wiki Special wrote: April 8, 2024, 10:13 am I'm in the camp of pushing all our chips in on Strange. The best thing is he is the perfect 6 to pair with Fogarty short term and hopefully Sanders long term. And they are the perfect 7's to pair with him.
At this point I reckon the only due diligence needed is on the intangibles.

If Strange wants to be in Canberra for the prime years of his career, and is mature enough to see he will be thrown the keys to the team at some point in the near future (and you back his ability to handle that mentally/emotionally) - then you just pull the trigger and get it done.

And I wouldn’t muck around. Unlike some of our inexplicable veteran contract extensions in recent times, this is one situation where locking him in earlier is a smarter (and potentially cheaper) strategy.

If 700K is the reported asking rate, I’m very comfortable doing that as an average over 5 years, but perhaps with escalators rather than a linear 700K pa