Ethan Strange re-signs with Raiders to end 2028

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Ethan Strange re-signs with Raiders to end 2028

Post by Northern Raider »

Finchy wrote: April 17, 2024, 1:34 pm I still don't get where this Papalii retirement talk is coming from. He's only 31. He's got plenty of years left.
Playing good footy too.

The talk may have come up after last season where he looked to be struggling a bit with the pace of the game. From an observer perspective he's had a good offseason turned that around. Still a few more miles in the engine based on that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Even Mr Burns is happy!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:Even Mr Burns is happy!

Have The Rolling Stones killed.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:

ImageImageImage

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 17, 2024, 1:05 pm
cat wrote: April 17, 2024, 12:57 pm Cotric's problem is he went to Sydney/Bulldogs.
He lost direction being away from Mum, didn't really fit in and worst the dogs training ( or his away from the club training with mansour etc) changed his shape and style.
I've seen this notion thrown around quite a bit that the dogs move ruined his career, however his form was already declining the season before he left.

He peaked early and has been on a noticeable slide ever since.
Agree, he was best when he was a bit younger, a bit quicker and a bit more agile. Now that he's aging he's slowed just a touch and that's enough to make a huge difference, also hasn't added/developed his game at all
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

I don't think everyone is realising how POTENTIALLY successful this new era could be.

Imagine locking Strange, Chevy and Sanders up long-term. They are arguably 3 of the highest rated prospects in the game, seemingly all very good mates, and in key spine positions that could win us lots of games. How long has it been since we could say that?

Really trying not to get too excited, but it's hard...
raider1981
David Shillington

Post by raider1981 »

He will be a future captain of this club.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

IBG wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:29 pm I don't think everyone is realising how POTENTIALLY successful this new era could be.

Imagine locking Strange, Chevy and Sanders up long-term. They are arguably 3 of the highest rated prospects in the game, seemingly all very good mates, and in key spine positions that could win us lots of games. How long has it been since we could say that?

Gets excited, and now it’s hard.

Keep it clean mate..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sweet.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

raider1981 wrote:He will be a future captain of this club.
Why aim so low?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

reptar wrote: April 17, 2024, 2:35 pm

These young minstrels will soothe my jangled nerves!
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Azza wrote:
reptar wrote: April 17, 2024, 2:35 pm

These young minstrels will soothe my jangled nerves!
That’s not a bad idea. My nerves are still shot after Sunday.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Great re-signing. Well done, Don Junior. He's Jack Wighton without the mistakes.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sleek the Elite wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:06 pm Great re-signing. Well done, Don Junior. He's Jack Wighton without the mistakes.
I think better. Wighton great close to the line, but Strange good from anywhere

I expect his passing to surpass Jack's too (a low bar to be fair). I liked Jack's long kicking despite the occasional howler, he had a huge boot, he might not reach him in that area
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Canberra Milk wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:06 pm Great re-signing. Well done, Don Junior. He's Jack Wighton without the mistakes.
I think better. Wighton great close to the line, but Strange good from anywhere

I expect his passing to surpass Jack's too (a low bar to be fair). I liked Jack's long kicking despite the occasional howler, he had a huge boot, he might not reach him in that area
It would be good for someone to be in a position as a back up kicker. Fogarty is going to get a lot of attention from opposition if we don’t have a plan B
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

IBG wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:29 pm I don't think everyone is realising how POTENTIALLY successful this new era could be.

If it's too hard, hit it with a cold spoon
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

''I've still got a lot of improvement': Raiders young gun vows he's got more to prove

It's been an impressive start to his NRL career. But Ethan Strange has vowed to Canberra Raiders fans he's got more to prove and he's here to win. Strange, who was already contracted until the end of 2025, has been upgraded and extended until 2028. And the 19-year-old had a simple goal over the next four-and-a-half years.

"Win premierships. That's the end goal. I don't think anybody plays to lose so yeah, win premierships," Strange said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Rising star Ethan Strange commits to Canberra: https://canberradaily.com.au/rising-sta ... -canberra/

PODCAST: Josh Papalii speaks about Ethan Strange and Chevy Stuart: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/t ... 0652702441
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Loving the attitude.

Win premierships..

I’m on board.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Absolutely fantastic re-signing. This kid should be an absolute attacking threat in years to come. Not saying that he is him or will become as good as him but there is a bit of Munster about him in his running style. There is a bit of Bateman about him as well.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Great timing to lock this up, especially with Luke Keary reportedly about to retire.

Sydney Roosters star Luke Keary to announce his retirement from NRL

Sydney Roosters star Luke Keary is set to announce his retirement from the NRL. The Roosters have organised a press conference this week to announce he will hang up his boots at the end of the season.

The 32-year-old three-time premiership-winning playmaker was contracted until the end of 2025, but has decided to call time on his career after 12 seasons in the NRL. The decision will cost Keary up to $800,000 in contract earnings from the final year of his deal.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e2cbd9c2da

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’m sure Nick will give him 800 large as a parting gift.

Why is this piece of news here ?
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

-PJ- wrote: April 29, 2024, 4:07 pm I’m sure Nick will give him 800 large as a parting gift.

His dad is the coach of the Roosters NRLW side. I think the news is here to affirm that locking up Strange is a good bit of business considering that Keary is now done, as the lure of being at the same club as his dad would have been a risk. I've seen enough to be convinced that the Doctor bleeds green though. I know someone in pathologies at the club.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Lamenting Actions wrote: April 29, 2024, 5:30 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 29, 2024, 4:07 pm I’m sure Nick will give him 800 large as a parting gift.

His dad is the coach of the Roosters NRLW side. I think the news is here to affirm that locking up Strange is a good bit of business considering that Keary is now done, as the lure of being at the same club as his dad would have been a risk. I've seen enough to be convinced that the Doctor bleeds green though. I know someone in pathologies at the club.
I don't think that is who Peej is referring to

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

A very good one to build a club around, not scared in defense, great step,
im very happy about this, and I hope he becomes a raider for life, he has origin player written all over him later in his career
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote:A very good one to build a club around, not scared in defense, great step,
im very happy about this, and I hope he becomes a raider for life, he has origin player written all over him later in his career
I hope he’s a raiders player for life, but I hope he never goes near a tainted NSW jersey

We all know what that does to players, just ask Campo or Huddo
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2024, 8:56 pm
Neeeegz wrote:A very good one to build a club around, not scared in defense, great step,
I hope he’s a raiders player for life, but I hope he never goes near a tainted NSW jersey

He played for NSW last year ;), but you are right. NSW SOO does not bode well for Raiders players. TLL, Campo, Hudson, only Jack seemed to benefit. Monaghan went Ok....

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: April 30, 2024, 1:11 pm

He played for NSW last year ;), but you are right. NSW SOO does not bode well for Raiders players. TLL, Campo, Hudson, only Jack seemed to benefit. Monaghan went Ok....
Stuart, Daley, Clyde, Barnhill, Furner, Lazzo, Chicka - some of these young blokes might have to dust off some of Dad’s old VHS tapes from storage Dubs :roflmao
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Campo - dropped after one game.
Ryan O’Hara - dropped after one game. Dugan - dropped after one game.
Fergo - dropped after one game.
Huddo - dropped after two games.
Wighton - played 10 games but basically got recruited in camp by Latrell to join Souths.

It’s cursed.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2024, 1:29 pm

Stuart, Daley, Clyde, Barnhill, Furner, Lazzo, Chicka - some of these young blokes might have to dust off some of Dad’s old VHS tapes from storage Dubs :roflmao
haha, I do not think Barnhill was a Raider when he was selected. Off memory he was playing for STG. Good guy, though, next time you are in Wagga , stop at his pub for a drink.