7%
Titans 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Dark arts of coaching behind Des Hasler blaming referee Kasey Badger for Titans defeat

The dark arts of coaching were on display on Sunday evening when Gold Coast Titans coach Des Hasler questioned the refereeing. For reasons nobody can adequately explain, most critics highlight a lopsided penalty count as an example of bad refereeing. What often fails to be noticed is a team might have been ill-disciplined itself or, dare anybody say it, deliberately cynical by being coached that way.

On Monday, NRL head of football Graham Annesley revealed there was 28 times the Titans were offside and not caught — on top of the four for which they did get pinched.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d43105c79c
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ricky was quoted saying he thought Mrs Badger had done a good job.

In hindsight maybe she didn’t.

Winning the game put Ricky in a better mood than Des.

I have no doubt whatsoever if Titans had of won the game our coach would have went full psycho.

Considering what we now know about the 28 set restarts the Raiders should have received.

And what about Mrs Badger ? Will we see her name in TLT ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Be interesting to see how the refereeing is for their next game against Manly.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Ricky was quoted saying he thought Mrs Badger had done a good job.

I have no doubt whatsoever if Titans had of won the game our coach would have went full psycho.

Considering what we now know about the 28 set restarts the Raiders should have received.

Whenever TLT is.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2024, 1:47 pm Ricky was quoted saying he thought Mrs Badger had done a good job.

She'll get shafted for "letting Canberra win", rather than letting the Titans get away with murder.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote: April 16, 2024, 1:52 pm

Whenever TLT is.
Team List Tuesday.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:

Whenever TLT is.
Team List Tuesday.
Thanks dubby.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2024, 1:47 pm Ricky was quoted saying he thought Mrs Badger had done a good job.

Without knowing the numbers for other matches on how many of these are missed on average it's hard to gauge exactly how the performance was. It might be listed as "please speed up the ruck next week" to "have you ever heard of a 6 again?".
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

She did not have a good game.

From that article:
But if Kasey Badger had hit every penalty that was there for offside it would have been 32-10, according to Annesley’s count, instead of 4-0.
Annesley revealed there was 28 times the Titans were offside and not caught — on top of the four for which they did get pinched
And you very rarely see Ricky launch at Ref's anymore.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't think I've ever noticed as much criticism of a referee as she is copping, and **** me Klein, Sutton/s, Cummins over the years and Gough have been deplorable on many occasions. She was alright. If she blows 30 penalties to 10 (for Titans) she's not getting another game anytimesoon. But her game has been picked apart. Fine, but if we're going down that path do it for every single game.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gerg wrote:I don't think I've ever noticed as much criticism of a referee as she is copping, and **** me Klein, Sutton/s, Cummins over the years and Gough have been deplorable on many occasions. She was alright. If she blows 30 penalties to 10 (for Titans) she's not getting another game anytimesoon. But her game has been picked apart. Fine, but if we're going down that path do it for every single game.

Exactly

NRL360 would be howling about how **** the game was, that the fact the penalty count was 30-10

I look forward to Annesley forensically investigating each game from now on though.. oh wait

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: April 16, 2024, 1:55 pm

She did not have a good game.

From that article:
But if Kasey Badger had hit every penalty that was there for offside it would have been 32-10, according to Annesley’s count, instead of 4-0.
Annesley revealed there was 28 times the Titans were offside and not caught — on top of the four for which they did get pinched
And you very rarely see Ricky launch at Ref's anymore.
Let’s just chalk this up to 2pts we stole.

We’ll take em, I’ve lost count how many haven’t gone our way.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:
dubby wrote:

Whenever TLT is.
Team List Tuesday.
Thanks dubby.

You're welcome TW

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2024, 2:06 pm
gerg wrote:I don't think I've ever noticed as much criticism of a referee as she is copping, and **** me Klein, Sutton/s, Cummins over the years and Gough have been deplorable on many occasions. She was alright. If she blows 30 penalties to 10 (for Titans) she's not getting another game anytimesoon. But her game has been picked apart. Fine, but if we're going down that path do it for every single game.

Exactly

NRL360 would be howling about how **** the game was, that the fact the penalty count was 30-10

I look forward to Annesley forensically investigating each game from now on though.. oh wait

I agree with this.

Imagine a scenario where Annesley let’s us now how many penalties OR set restarts SHOULD have been awarded everytime a side loses in GP with controversy.

Mrs Badgers performance is being heavily scrutinised. If we won by 30 none of this would have been bought up.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Annesley making a huge deal about a player just one metre offside in Golden Point isn’t good for his inexperienced female referee and also for all the referees who’ve let go much worse decisions go across the history of Golden Point games.

Why single out her decision in such detail, choosing the exact video point where the ball clears the ruck when anyone who’s watched Golden Point live at a ground will know that all teams push the absolute limits of the rules and referees generally only penalise very clear cut decisions.

After his comments yesterday, Next Golden Point game will be very interesting how it’s officiated.

It would have been better for the game of Rugby League as a whole, if he said “referees have to use their judgment on these close calls in Golden Point. Looking at the decision in slow motion and judging the point where the ball cleared the foot in the play the ball isn’t an option available to the onfield referee in the heat of Golden Point , but I think he was slightly offside on the replay and Des has a point“.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Annesley making a huge deal about a player just one metre offside in Golden Point isn’t good for his inexperienced female referee and also for all the referees who’ve let go much worse decisions go across the history of Golden Point games.

Why single out her decision in such detail, choosing the exact video point where the ball clears the ruck when anyone who’s watched Golden Point live at a ground will know that all teams push the absolute limits of the rules and referees generally only penalise very clear cut decisions.

After his comments yesterday, Next Golden Point game will be very interesting how it’s officiated.

It would have been better for the game of Rugby League as a whole, if he said “referees have to use their judgment on these close calls in Golden Point. Looking at the decision in slow motion and judging the point where the ball cleared the foot in the play the ball isn’t an option available to the onfield referee in the heat of Golden Point , but I think he was slightly offside on the replay and Des has a point“.
Exactly and what message does it send to Badger. Next time go out and blow 40+ penalties?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

gerg wrote: April 16, 2024, 2:27 pm
BJ wrote:Annesley making a huge deal about a player just one metre offside in Golden Point isn’t good for his inexperienced female referee and also for all the referees who’ve let go much worse decisions go across the history of Golden Point games.

Exactly and what message does it send to Badger. Next time go out and blow 40+ penalties?

Nah, just make sure Canberra lose next time. That's an acceptable outcome for the NRL.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The NRL has created this problem.

When they decided to allow players to throw forward passes from the ruck, roll the ball one-handed in to the scrum, stand off side in every set, allow blockers for kickers (Cleary) and not have the chutzpah to stand up and ignore idiots like Buzz Rothfield who whinge at refs when they actually decide to enforce the rules.

The game deserves better.

Enforce the rules. Yes, it will be create angst, but its for the greater good.

Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Annelsey is a fraud. Imagine the NRL paying $250,000 upwards for such an incompetent operations manager. What a waste of money for a politician. The bunker is still a mess and decision making by the NRL is inconsistent. He likes to target us and there’s been plenty of occasions where we have been dudded by refereeing decisions but Annseley has chosen to ignore in his so called Monday briefings.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2024, 2:20 pm
-TW- wrote: April 16, 2024, 2:06 pm

Exactly

I agree with this.

Imagine a scenario where Annesley let’s us now how many penalties OR set restarts SHOULD have been awarded everytime a side loses in GP with controversy.

Mrs Badgers performance is being heavily scrutinised. If we won by 30 none of this would have been bought up.
Paying attention to any idiot on NRL 360 is your biggest problem to begin with. If the NRL is going to submit to the likes of Read, Rothfield, and Caryannis, they need a reality check.

Sutton and Cummins copped a lot of flack after a certain GF, IIRC. Refs have been copping a lot of flak since the first game.

Criticism of a referee is nothing new. What changes the context of this game is the way Des Hasler has deliberately blamed the referee for his own coaching plan. Anyone watching that game would identify that GC laid all over us in the ruck, stood offside, and went to great lengths (illegally) to thwart our attack because their defence has been atrocious this year.

Annersley (a former GC employee) has handled this poorly. Des played the media. He admitted Chevy was off-side but ignored the repeated infractions of GC players and every other NRL club this round.

By saying other refs have had shocking games (which they have and we have discussed on here ad nauseum) makes the point that the NRL officialdom needs to improve, and its time we stopped allowing media idiots to influence the way the game is refereed and have the chutzpah to do the right thing by the game and its refs.

NRL360 is akin to a bunch of old blokes yelling at clouds.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We will. She will run the line in one game and she will be named our video referee.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Feel sorry for Kasey': NRL axes ref at centre of Raiders-Titans war of words

The NRL has axed the referee at the centre of a war of words between veteran coaches Des Hasler and Ricky Stuart as the fallout continues after a tense golden-point clash. Kasey Badger has been demoted from her on-field role for round seven. She will be a touch judge in the Dragons-Warriors game on Friday before taking a place in the bunker for the Raiders-Broncos game on Saturday. Badger was subjected to a barrage of fan abuse - some with a sexist undertone - online after the match.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The problem with games that end in golden point is that the decisions in the last minutes of the game are overly scrutinised compared to every other decision in the game. The Titans gave away 3 set restarts in quick succession and easily could have had a player in the bin but that didn't happen. If it had do the raiders win more easily?

The other one titans fans are blowing up about was the Strange break saying that it was a clear shepherd. The only person in the line was Savage who passed the ball to Strange and whichever way he runs it isn't an obstruction or every run around play is also an obstruction.

We have lost games like this where there were fair more egregious decisions that went against us. It hurts but the Raiders won every element of that game, including on the score board in the end.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Has Hasler been fined $10,000 for criticising the ref? It's ironic that his team went all out to flout the rules, then blames the ref when they don't win.

NRL let Kasey down badly with Annesley's weekly briefing. No support at all. Kasey is a much better ref than Gerard Sutton and Chris Butler. Butler is the worst.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Further, Klein was dropped during the finals last year after a shocker, in the Storm Roosters match.

Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski was dropped after round 3.

Todd Smith and Gerard Sutton were dropped in round 11 last year.

Todd Smith was dropped for round 6, despite NRL not saying it was performance related. I call this the Whitehead-Croker syndrome.

Grant Atkins was dropped for an 8 tackle set last year.

I could go on.

There was a period when the Suttons were a toxic, nepotistic, negative influence on referee selections.

Stop feeling sorry for a referee who had a poor performance. She is still involved and will ref again.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

pickles wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:11 pm The problem with games that end in golden point is that the decisions in the last minutes of the game are overly scrutinised compared to every other decision in the game. The Titans gave away 3 set restarts in quick succession and easily could have had a player in the bin but that didn't happen. If it had do the raiders win more easily?

The other one titans fans are blowing up about was the Strange break saying that it was a clear shepherd. The only person in the line was Savage who passed the ball to Strange and whichever way he runs it isn't an obstruction or every run around play is also an obstruction.

We have lost games like this where there were fair more egregious decisions that went against us. It hurts but the Raiders won every element of that game, including on the score board in the end.
And that is why we have to get rid of GP altogether.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And BANG !!!

We got Chris Butler..
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

dubby wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:14 pm
pickles wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:11 pm The problem with games that end in golden point is that the decisions in the last minutes of the game are overly scrutinised compared to every other decision in the game. The Titans gave away 3 set restarts in quick succession and easily could have had a player in the bin but that didn't happen. If it had do the raiders win more easily?

And that is why we have to get rid of GP altogether.
I'm ok with a draw too.

I also have a screen shot, that I can't figure out how to post, of the tackle before Fog takes his shot when Tapine took a hit up. There are 4 players on shot who are clearly offside and the markers are standing next to each other. Should have been a penalty right in front, 25 metres out. You have to be clearly offside in GP to be penalised and while Chevy was technically offside that is almost never called in GP or in general play for that matter.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:And BANG !!!

We got Chris Butler..
In **** Brisbane? Start planning for a loss now.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2024, 2:45 pm

We will. She will run the line in one game and she will be named our video referee.
Haha nailed it
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Why is this a gender thing?

Badger is a very good ref. She is the best bunker ref by some margin IMO. Belinda Sharp is also an excellent on field referee. However the Titans were rightfully called out for intentionally slowing down the ruck.

Hasler was a prick for implying that the Titans got the rough end of the stick in that game and the NRL probably felt obliged to prove that wasn't the case with some facts.

Whatever the NRL do with that is their prerogative. Hopefully penalise other teams out of the game by playing those tactics.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

I’m just annoyed that Badger was probably dropped for not being harsher on Canberra and missing the “offside” charge down, rather than being dropped for not being harsher on the Titans and sin binning them.

At least that was the vibe Annesley gave in his presser. Focussed on the nil offside calls against Canberra when 10 could have been called instead of the 4 offside calls against Gold Coast when 32 could have been called.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

The NRL could not have handled this worse if they tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Rick wrote:The NRL could not have handled this worse if they tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You think they weren’t trying?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: April 16, 2024, 4:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2024, 2:45 pm

Haha nailed it
To be honest... I already knew!