Titans 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Game Day

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ricky was busting his britches for someone to specifically ask him about the ruck interpretation. The fact it came in the form of comments from Des Hasler feeling like the Titans were shafted was just icing on the cake.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I didn't think much of it when he showed the Roosters v Knights ruck stats and said they were both close to the average so it's all good. The impact of slowing down an otherwise fast PTB down to average speed is higher than slowing an average one down but it is going to look fine statistically. I would also expect that when forwards are dominating the middle they should have a much faster PTB vs the opposition and the average.

Still, I think it's good they showed they are looking at these things somewhat objectively.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg wrote: April 15, 2024, 3:46 pm
Finchy wrote:Raiders gunna get smashed by the refs moving forward, based on Annesley's presser. Ricky was right and the stats show it, but Annesley seems more focused on the assumption Canberra should have been pinged on a few occasions and were offside on the charge down, rather than the fact the Titans got away with heaps. There'll be a square up.
Well we're playing #penaltybroncos so there's that. Probably one of the Sutton boys riding them home too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
There'll be home ground penalties no doubt. But the Raiders are just shaded into second for most penalties awarded on average in the NRL this year... and they are equal fourth for fewest penalties conceded on average. The Raiders have a net positive of 2, which is probably the biggest margin in the NRL.

The numbers Annesley put up today indicated that the Raiders were 95 per cent compliant with the 10 metres on Sunday night. The discipline is pretty good atm.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

NRL sides with Hasler after post match blow up

The NRL has conceded aggrieved Gold Coast coach Des Hasler had a right to be upset and his side should have been awarded a set restart which would have then turned into a penalty and a shot from in front late in their heartbreaking one-point defeat to the Canberra Raiders on Sunday.

Head of football Graham Annesley made the admission on Monday afternoon after the Raiders escaped with a thrilling 21-20 win over the Gold Coast which led to some strong words from both coaches after the game.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/he-is ... c0e62f74a4
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So we cheated and won.

Yippeeeee for us.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Cherry picked headline. The stats he showed were damning. Another 28 times or something that could have/should have been called offside by the titans that weren't. Foran took more time than my deceased granmaamy to fire that kick away. I would like to see the vision of Fogarty's kick and whether any titans player was less than a foot in front ala Chevy. Fog just iced the moment; Foran did not ice his two moments.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Something else to add. There was a comment or 2 in here about Kris not looking himself.

I think that’s a bit off. Strange has been great this year but creating space or ball playing to his center is almost not a part of his game at all atm. Without that play from the inside there is very little a center than do really.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Like I get way they do it, as they are just trying to drive engagement on social media etc. But the way the media is framing this story is infuriating.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

What’s the exact rule? When the ball is played by the person who’s been tackled or when the dummy half touches the ball?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Clears the ruck, ie past the backfoot of the person playing the ball

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 15, 2024, 6:38 pm What’s the exact rule? When the ball is played by the person who’s been tackled or when the dummy half touches the ball?
Basically when it clears the heel of the tackled player.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Then Chevy is offside. But you don’t call that and blow a penalty 100 out of 100 times. Unless it’s blatant, which it wasn’t, you let that go.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Annesley is a twit
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Regs Revolution wrote:Then Chevy is offside. But you don’t call that and blow a penalty 100 out of 100 times. Unless it’s blatant, which it wasn’t, you let that go.
It's golden point, they barely ever blow penalties

I'm sure we were on the other side of one of these where it was the exact same argument of when does the ball clear the ruck

It'll happen again and again

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Regs Revolution wrote:Then Chevy is offside. But you don’t call that and blow a penalty 100 out of 100 times. Unless it’s blatant, which it wasn’t, you let that go.
He was as offside as the Titans were 24 times during the game that weren't called. Hands on the ball in the ruck was another thing as well.

Conversely we were apparently offside 9 times that wasn't called.

Give me the 24 penalties and the Chevy Stewart offside is a moot point because we'd be ahead by 50.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

2024 Round 6 v Titans: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart and Des Hasler involved in explosive exchange in Canberra Stadium tunnel

High-profile NRL coaches Ricky Stuart and Des Hasler were embroiled in a fiery confrontation inside Canberra Stadium that ignited their post-match press conferences. Several witnesses have confirmed the awkward tunnel run-in that ended with Canberra coach Stuart allegedly saying “**** you” to his Gold Coast counterpart Hasler.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d2026b2685

Ricky’s ‘heated’ dressing room bust-up with Des revealed amid referee tirade: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7ab98edfaf

NRL's admission after Raiders-Titans 'cheating' claims

The NRL has conceded the Titans were dudded after referee Kasey Badger failed to rule Raiders fullback Chevy Stewart offside when Gold Coast attempted a game-winning field goal.

NRL's head of football Graham Annesley on Monday said Stuart's issue with missed six-again calls and Hasler's suggestion of an offside Raiders charge-down, both had merit. Annesley presented statistics that showed that 28 further offside calls on the Titans were missed, and only 10 missed by officials against the Raiders.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Stuart, Hasler trade barbs in NRL ‘cheating’ sag: https://canberradaily.com.au/stuart-has ... ting-saga/

Raiders Mullets for Mental Health: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... al-health/
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

yeah - they really buried the lead in that story. If you're going to reinterpret the game with hindsight, then you have to reinterpret the whole game, not just the bits that suit your narrative. i.e. blow all the 6 agains, sin bin titans players etc etc.
Even in GP time, there is some pretty horrid examples titans lying all over Raiders players before they even get to the Foran kick - so lets blow those as well.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Really good analysis/breakdown to the lead up to the Hudson Young try - attack Foran
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Just watched that.. very well analysed

Also had a chuckle at an ex raider, now titans players relative having a sook in the comments about the refereeing

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

NRL team of the week has no room for Tapine in the 17. Clearly nobody was watching the game on Sunday night.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

too many factors going into a tackle and ruck to get an average to compare. Useless stat
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Green Blogger wrote: April 16, 2024, 8:23 am NRL team of the week has no room for Tapine in the 17. Clearly nobody was watching the game on Sunday night.
This is blatantly laughable. It feels like the brazenness of the NRL's open display of ignorance towards the Raiders (ignorance that is clearly intentional) is going up exponentially now.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote:

Really good analysis/breakdown to the lead up to the Hudson Young try - attack Foran
Great insight into Stewart's performance too.

I couldn't care less about linebreak or try assist stats for a rookie fullback. I loved the way he played.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I still think Chevy needs to work on his comedic timing if he really wants to have a successful career in the NRL
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Azza wrote: April 16, 2024, 8:54 am I still think Chevy needs to work on his comedic timing if he really wants to have a successful career in the NRL
He is contractually required to say "Hey, Underpants!" to the ref at least once per game.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:too many factors going into a tackle and ruck to get an average to compare. Useless stat
Yes that’s true for individual tackles or say a few sets of tackles, but when the same game statisticians are doing thousands of tackles every single round and every season, you can reasonably compare data averages.

Mind you, a statistician and stopwatch wasn’t required to tell a knowledgeable football watcher that the Raiders Titans game had the slowest ruck of the round and that there could have been more action taken to speed up the ruck.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I really want to see those missed offside stats over the last few years for a few clubs.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

2024 Round 6 v Titans: Game Day

Post by pickles »

Lamenting Actions wrote: April 16, 2024, 8:41 am
Green Blogger wrote: April 16, 2024, 8:23 am NRL team of the week has no room for Tapine in the 17. Clearly nobody was watching the game on Sunday night.
This is blatantly laughable. It feels like the brazenness of the NRL's open display of ignorance towards the Raiders (ignorance that is clearly intentional) is going up exponentially now.
Yeah, when a fullback runs for 300m plus it is a massive EDIT from the media. When a prop forward does it and more than half of the metres are post contact it doesn't rate a mention. Tapine was huge and the fact that he had the energy left to laugh at Sticky blowing up is a testament to how fit the guy is!
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Actually I had a thought about the charge down.

Penalty for the charge down is 6 again.
Let’s say it gets blown.
Foran is still taking that kick and Chevy is still charging it down.
Then Titans knock on.
Then it’s Raiders ball.

Nothing changes the outcome here even if it’s called offside.
Chevy is not going to not chase and Foran is going to think “oh good six more tackles- I’ll won’t kick”.

Just a different way of looking at this….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Shiv. I think a penalty can be blown because the Titans couldn’t take advantage of the 6 again.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Anslie said in his briefing it’s six again.
Whilst you may be correct he didn’t allude to that. And often if the play breaks down they consider it your fault and continue on.

I.e six again, then you drop the ball is still considered a knock on and a scrum.

As I mentioned before though, if you’re going to review in hindsight then you have to review the whole game, not just the bits that work for you.

Was more of a thought exercise.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Shiv wrote:Anslie said in his briefing it’s six again.
Whilst you may be correct he didn’t allude to that. And often if the play breaks down they consider it your fault and continue on.

Most of the time if a 6 again is called and the ball is dropped straight away then it's blown a penalty

I guess the argument would be is the advantage taken by attempting the field goal. If the 6 again was called immediately that might have changed the play as Foran might have run instead.

It's all ifs and buts now

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Shiv wrote: April 16, 2024, 11:12 am Actually I had a thought about the charge down.

Let’s say it gets blown.
Then Titans knock on.
Then it’s Raiders ball.

Chevy is not going to not chase and Foran is going to think “oh good six more tackles- I’ll won’t kick”.

Nah, in that situation they would've then blown a penalty instead because there's no advantage of the 6 again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shiv wrote:Actually I had a thought about the charge down.

Let’s say it gets blown.
Then Titans knock on.
Then it’s Raiders ball.

I think Chevy was 10 metres back from the ruck. The issue was the referee was standing 11 metres back on the try line.

But if he had been ruled off side with the six again it would have been a penalty. Annesley said that in clarification… because the Titans couldn’t take advantage of the six again.

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2024, 12:31 pm
Shiv wrote:Actually I had a thought about the charge down.

Let’s say it gets blown.
Then Titans knock on.
Then it’s Raiders ball.

I think Chevy was 10 metres back from the ruck. The issue was the referee was standing 11 metres back on the try line.

But if he had been ruled off side with the six again it would have been a penalty. Annesley said that in clarification… because the Titans couldn’t take advantage of the six again.

I'm glad someone else is finally saying this - he was 10m back, the ref was too far back. Chevy was onside!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.