35%

Total votes: 20

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: 2024 Round 7 v Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rick wrote: April 16, 2024, 5:40 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote:
Shiv wrote: April 16, 2024, 4:19 pm Out of curiosity can Kaeo play hooker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone said watching him warming up with Starling pre game as 18th man, his passing from left to right is better than Starling's.
I doubt he was returning the ball back to him off the ground.

I hope I am wrong which would mean Sticky is thinking it also.

I don’t mind Starlings defence but we need to start defending with our attack. Stop playing so conservative. The last 2 mins of the titans (could argue the last 20) is a freak example of how we put away the attack and just invite sides back into it.

hahaha no Starling was simulating a play the ball and passing three times each way, but Kaeo was just catching it and hurling it back right to left each time. He just seemed to hit the target a bit better!

I recall though that Starling has an awesome tackle efficiency rating. I think that is what is keeping him in firsts.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hosking's is a big blow. Ata didn't have the edge intelligence to exploit the space outside him on a number of occasions against the Titans, so they didn't have much concern in increasing the separation gap between 3rd and 4th defender in to make sure they were covered out wide if we played the ball out the back. Also allows their 3rd and 2nd defender to rush up on us quickly and stifle any early ball we can get to Timoko close to their line.

Glad to see Chevy keep his spot too, Starling not so much.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Starling not only has a wayward radar at times (left to right specifically) but he also has this strange hesitation in his delivery, like he’s winding up for the pass. Watch him closely this week, the time it takes from getting hands on the ball to releasing the pass is slower off the ground than most hookers meaning defensive lines have a fraction more time to pressure the receiver and take away space. Means backline shifts with him starting from dummy half run out of space a lot by the time you get to the second shift.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:24 am Starling not only has a wayward radar at times (left to right specifically) but he also has this strange hesitation in his delivery, like he’s winding up for the pass. Watch him closely this week, the time it takes from getting hands on the ball to releasing the pass is slower off the ground than most hookers meaning defensive lines have a fraction more time to pressure the receiver and take away space. Means backline shifts with him starting from dummy half run out of space a lot by the time you get to the second shift.
Good post Coastal - that is very noticeable. He really does strangle our attack, and we lose so much momentum in games after Levi goes off.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Further to the Starling point - below is a very very good read on how we stack up this year in certain metrics - from an attacking perspective we seem to rely (successfully) on making meters up the meddle and shifting to edges - both tactics would be better served by the faster and more accurate service that Woolford delivers over Starling.

https://www.rugbyleagueeyetest.com/2024 ... yYtp6Jo-Nw
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The injury to Hosking is really unfortunate, but I'm quite happy to see Mariota start on that edge against a quality attacking side.

Hosking has been very good, but I don't think he's a long term solution to that vacancy.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

afgtnk wrote: April 17, 2024, 2:32 am Hosking's is a big blow. Ata didn't have the edge intelligence to exploit the space outside him on a number of occasions against the Titans, so they didn't have much concern in increasing the separation gap between 3rd and 4th defender in to make sure they were covered out wide if we played the ball out the back. Also allows their 3rd and 2nd defender to rush up on us quickly and stifle any early ball we can get to Timoko close to their line.

Glad to see Chevy keep his spot too, Starling not so much.
I noticed this at least 2-3 times at the back end of the Titans game when we were attacking them. Fog had opened up a massive hole in their defence. If Ata was sitting a little wider, there were gaping holes on multiple occasions that would have seen him literally go through untouched. He was running the wrong lines.

I guess we can easily forgive him for that as he’d be used to working more in the middle of the ground and without a doubt they would have watched videos this week to try and exploit those gaps by standing a little wider if they pop up again.

On the contrary, when you have a bench of Mooney, Ata and Saulo, Ata is replacing an edge as Mooney and Saulo are your middles.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Seiffert82 wrote:The injury to Hosking is really unfortunate, but I'm quite happy to see Mariota start on that edge against a quality attacking side.

Hosking has been very good, but I don't think he's a long term solution to that vacancy.

What don’t you like about Hosking in that position? I haven’t noticed any glaring deficiencies in defence and he has good visions and ball playing skills. I think he has a bright future in that position.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

pickles wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:The injury to Hosking is really unfortunate, but I'm quite happy to see Mariota start on that edge against a quality attacking side.

What don’t you like about Hosking in that position? I haven’t noticed any glaring deficiencies in defence and he has good visions and ball playing skills. I think he has a bright future in that position.

Yeah, time will tell. He's 27 with 30 NRL games for a reason.

He does drop off tackles, particularly as the game wears on, and he has dodgy hands in contact.

Very enthusiastic though. He reads attacking opportunities well and runs courageous lines. There's a lot to like in his game, just a few too many errors. He's definitely an improvement on Whitehead for 50-60 minutes a game.

I could say the same thing about Young of late, but Huddo's ceiling is high.

Ata could well be exposed by the Bronco's, but his physicality won't go astray.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Rick wrote: April 16, 2024, 5:40 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote:
Shiv wrote: April 16, 2024, 4:19 pm Out of curiosity can Kaeo play hooker?

Someone said watching him warming up with Starling pre game as 18th man, his passing from left to right is better than Starling's.
I doubt he was returning the ball back to him off the ground.

I hope I am wrong which would mean Sticky is thinking it also.

I don’t mind Starlings defence but we need to start defending with our attack. Stop playing so conservative. The last 2 mins of the titans (could argue the last 20) is a freak example of how we put away the attack and just invite sides back into it.

hahaha no Starling was simulating a play the ball and passing three times each way, but Kaeo was just catching it and hurling it back right to left each time. He just seemed to hit the target a bit better!

I recall though that Starling has an awesome tackle efficiency rating. I think that is what is keeping him in firsts.
That's the thing about some of those stats. Starling does a good job of sticking tackles and he is courageous for his size, but he concedes huge metres when the bigs run at him, and often concedes a quick PTB.

He's not solely responsible for our middles losing momentum when he's on, but his passing and being a target in defence certainly contributes to it.

In the first half of the Titans game we were making about 44 running metres per set, compared to the Titans 34 or 35. At the end of the game we had still avwraged about 44 metres a set, but the Titans average had gone up to 42.5. That obviously meant the Titans were making around 50-52 metres per set in the second half. That was by far the worst thing about our game last weekend. Those minutes when both Levi and Starling are on the park are a huge part of the problem.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

It’s the minutes Starling are on the park that are the problem, it doesn’t matter if Levi is on the field with him or not

He just offers next to nothing as an option off the bench and we lose so much direction with him manning the helm
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:It’s the minutes Starling are on the park that are the problem, it doesn’t matter if Levi is on the field with him or not

He just offers next to nothing as an option off the bench and we lose so much direction with him manning the helm
Yeah, Starling in general, but the Starling and tired Levi combination is an absolute train wreck.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 9:57 am
The Nickman wrote:It’s the minutes Starling are on the park that are the problem, it doesn’t matter if Levi is on the field with him or not

Yeah, Starling in general, but the Starling and tired Levi combination is an absolute train wreck.

Both your points are true.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Starling is slow to pass it’s annoying.

I feel that it’s now an appropriate time to remember Waddell the slowest ever like he was playing union out there.

And a decent amount of posters here liked him I only presume due to the general bias for raiders juniors…
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: April 17, 2024, 1:20 pm Starling is slow to pass it’s annoying.

I feel that it’s now an appropriate time to remember Waddell the slowest ever like he was playing union out there.

And a decent amount of posters here liked him I only presume due to the general bias for raiders juniors…
I think it was largely because he was being compared to Glenn **** Buttriss.
Green Machine
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

Schiller out. Asomua in.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Keep playing Schiller but let's hope he keeps letting in tries so I feel less disappointed about him leaving 😂
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 17, 2024, 3:17 pm Keep playing Schiller but let's hope he keeps letting in tries so I feel less disappointed about him leaving 😂
Haha you know it won't be long for the game day thread to be like "**** off to Newcastle already!"
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Finchy wrote: April 17, 2024, 3:19 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 17, 2024, 3:17 pm Keep playing Schiller but let's hope he keeps letting in tries so I feel less disappointed about him leaving 😂
Haha you know it won't be long for the game day thread to be like "**** off to Newcastle already!"
Hahaha. Death. Taxes. And this happening.
Hando
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Hando »

Green Machine wrote: April 17, 2024, 2:42 pm Schiller out. Asomua in.
Only problem with that is he isn't in the squad.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Hando wrote: April 17, 2024, 3:58 pm
Green Machine wrote: April 17, 2024, 2:42 pm Schiller out. Asomua in.
Only problem with that is he isn't in the squad.
They changed that rule, he can play anytime.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

With the exception of Hodgson we have had a pretty ordinary run of hookers at the club over the past few decades which is disappointing given how important the position is in the modern game.

Levi has definitely exceeded expectations this year but doesn't have the gas tank to be an 80 minute hooker. Ideally he will build this ability over the season given he had a very disrupted season last year through injury and probably wasn't coming off a great base.

I had hoped that once the off field dramas were behind Starling that he would take some steps forward in his game but that hasn't been the case so far. His defensive stats look sound with a high work rate and low missed tackles, he also works hard in kick chase but his passing definitely lets him down and his running hasn't been as damaging this year.

Not sure if Trevilian is the answer or if there is anyone else coming through the system but it is definitely a position where we need to see some improvement.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Levi has actually played really well this year and I didn’t rate him at the start. He could actually be a solid player for us and he should only get better and fitter allowing him to play more minutes.

I think with the strike we have across the park, we can rely on other players to provide the attacking flair and get him to concentrate on service.

Defensively he’s been good. That first try against the Titans was not his fault. That was Smithies. He had two brain explosions that caused that try. And I would love him to actually pass just once out the back before he hits the line.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I would also like to add my voice to the deafening chorus of folks acknowledging what a wonderful season Danny Levi is having and note that he is becoming a very good player for us.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:58 pm I would also like to add my voice to the deafening chorus of folks acknowledging what a wonderful season Danny Levi is having and note that he is becoming a very good player for us.
He is almost- but not yet- approaching Adam Elliot levels of actual competence.

BUUUUUT still a ways to go- stop running a panic circle before passing sometimes- red zone attack- stop being bottom 1-4 in the entire comp for both try causes and lb causes for hooker defensive play- register a single actual try assist or line break assist now that we are 25% through the comp...

If he can do some of those things, you'll have a great pro Levi argument Billy!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:48 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:58 pm I would also like to add my voice to the deafening chorus of folks acknowledging what a wonderful season Danny Levi is having and note that he is becoming a very good player for us.

BUUUUUT still a ways to go- stop running a panic circle before passing sometimes- red zone attack- stop being bottom 1-4 in the entire comp for both try causes and lb causes for hooker defensive play- register a single actual try assist or line break assist now that we are 25% through the comp...

The bloke could just stand around on the field sniffing his own farts and Billy would be waxing lyrical about it
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:14 pm

The bloke could just stand around on the field sniffing his own farts and Billy would be waxing lyrical about it
You know who couldn’t do that….. your boy Woolf. The coach hasn’t invited him onto the field because there are better players ahead of him.

Just enjoy that we have a really good 9 now Finchy. Don’t death ride him each week. Even your man-crush Nickman is onboard with Levi so just go with it. Besides it’s not like you to form your own opinion on anything :roflmao
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:47 pm

You know who couldn’t do that….. your boy Woolf. The coach hasn’t invited him onto the field because there are better players ahead of him.

Just enjoy that we have a really good 9 now Finchy. Don’t death ride him each week. Even your man-crush Nickman is onboard with Levi so just go with it. Besides it’s not like you to form your own opinion on anything :roflmao
I believe I used this last year. May as well dust it off as the old circular reasoning has begun again - last year it was Kris/Savage. Your argument is a basic logic fail- circular reasoning. See below.

What's left then apart from "Ricky thinks Levi is better"; therefore B proves A?

When we clearly know RIcky is capable of the odd Matt Allwood/Curtis Scott etc. And the stats say Levi is crap at the things you think he is good at...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2024, 8:43 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:47 pm

I believe I used this last year. May as well dust it off as the old circular reasoning has begun again - last year it was Kris/Savage. Your argument is a basic logic fail- circular reasoning. See below.

What's left then apart from "Ricky thinks Levi is better"; therefore B proves A?

When we clearly know RIcky is capable of the odd Matt Allwood/Curtis Scott etc. And the stats say Levi is crap at the things you think he is good at...
I think I’m following you BnM…. There is an A team called first grade, and a B team called NSW cup. The player I like is in the A team and I am enjoying him play good football on the TV every week. You are all upset about that and then there is a B…. Nah I don’t get you - have you got other pictures?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: April 17, 2024, 8:58 pm

I think I’m following you BnM…. I am enjoying him play good football on the TV every week. You are all upset about that and then there is a B….
Nah you're upset Billy.

Which part of the most tries and most line breaks conceded by a hooker in 2024 is the good football? I'm having trouble following you.

And how do I discern good vs bad play from the zero try assists or line break assists- I mean is that a strong point of Levi I should be considering? (aside from the defence that is)

I have trouble multiplying negatives by zero...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:48 pm still a ways to go- stop running a panic circle before passing sometimes- red zone attack- stop being bottom 1-4 in the entire comp for both try causes and lb causes for hooker defensive play- register a single actual try assist or line break assist now that we are 25% through the comp...

Any answers to the bold Billy?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2024, 9:06 pm

I think I’m following you BnM…. I am enjoying him play good football on the TV every week. You are all upset about that and then there is a B….
Nah you're upset Billy.

Which part of the most tries and most line breaks conceded by a hooker in 2024 is the good football? I'm having trouble following you.

And how do I discern good vs bad play from the zero try assists or line break assists- I mean is that a strong point of Levi I should be considering? (aside from the defence that is)

Look I’d compare his game this week to the Woolf, but I never see Wolf in televised games. I guess only the good players get to play big boy football.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

All Levi does well is good service off the ground

He offers zero else, and has made some deplorable one on one efforts, like watch Jolliffe run straight past him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2024, 9:06 pm

Nah you're upset Billy.

Exactly. Levi is very ordinary and using logic well he is better than Woolford as a counter argument (which I don’t necessarily agree with) is not really worth anything because none of our hookers are very good.

You could literally replace Levi with any other starting hooker in the NRL and we would be a better side