Broncos 13+
41%

Total votes: 17

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: 2024 Round 7 v Broncos: Game Day

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Only gripe with the refereeing was the flop on Chevy when he got smashed. Rikki had no right coming in again. It was as blatant as any flop I've seen.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Rocks and diamonds with a young spine, last week they literally got us the two points,
This week - had a few errors
This is footy, this is the reality of having a young spine.
Ricky is gonna back em, as we need to aswell.
Fog going down is completely **** !! But we will be better for it in the long term.
maybe some tough times until then though without any experience.
Thought Levi was poor tonight ( not a Levi hater )
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

radicalraider wrote:Why should the club allow ricky another re-build. Times up we dont have 4 years to waste. We need a marquee player asap and a new coach.
There isn’t another coaching option so long as DF runs the show and RS breaths the fresh Canberra air, we have a great balance in our squad and RS has to be applauded for this, the missing piece is a 9, put Api in the side and we true re top 4 but with Levi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Cmon boys n girls.

We all expected nights like that. We talked about it all off season. We have kids in our spine. It will take time. But let’s not throw these boys under the bus..we are going to be ok.

Chevy will be a star, our star.

Chev, Savage, Kris, Timoko, Strange and Sanders are all still very young. The nucleus for success assembled.

Wait till Chev and Strange have played 50 games.

Some posters on here absolutely need an uppercut.

One suggested we catapult Sanders in today and get him to play #7 next weekend with ZERO fg.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

-PJ- wrote: April 21, 2024, 6:39 am Cmon boys n girls.

We all expected nights like that. We talked about it all off season. We have kids in our spine. It will take time. But let’s not throw these boys under the bus..we are going to be ok.

Chev, Savage, Kris, Timoko, Strange and Sanders are all still very young. The nucleus for success assembled.

One suggested we catapult Sanders in today and get him to play #7 next weekend with ZERO fg.
Well said PJ.

This is the path we're on. There will be some good and bad days in amongst it all.

I just hope we've invested in the right players.

Short term thinking gets you nowhere in this this business and very rarely gets you anywhere in any business.

The Fogarty loss is my biggest concern as I was worried coming into this season that we don't have a replacement for him. Would have liked to have Frawley in reserves to slot in right now. However, Kaeo gets an opportunity which will provide an insight into his credentials.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yeah Fogs injury is a major concern.

Can we drag Sam out of C cup ?

If not let’s dust off Stick.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Seeing Chevy continually running back at top speed on kick returns in the second half - after an horrendous first half - gives me great hope for the future. Who knows how far he (and Strange) go in the game but the early signs are of a courageous, committed young bunch coming through. I for one am happy to go on the journey with the young players, warts and all.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

A lot of people bagging Danny Levi. He setup the first try for Hudson young to stuff it up. If he scores that first try, the game doesn’t play out the way it did and the individual errors and performances probably don’t either.
Fogarty’s injury is the worst outcome, weekes not the best defender can see him being targeted a lot.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Hard game to watch but I signed up for a season of blooding youngsters, so this what we get some days. Probably what we’re going to get a lot more of now Jamal is out.

Losing Jamal is going to really hurt. It’s hard to think of a player more valuable to his team than him.

Chevy is tough. I may never have got up after that Hetherington hit.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Missed the game. Watched the Kayo Mini. Read the comments. People need to relax.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Finchy wrote: April 20, 2024, 11:55 pm Just watched the presser. Very mature from Ricky.
Yes, although he just can’t help himself - why trot out the “they scored their tries from kicks” routine?

Firstly, has he seen how we’ve scored the bulk of our tries this year? His first choice halfback can’t set one up any other way!

Secondly - we played exceptionally poorly in that first half and due to that, blew any chance of being competitive.

I’m not targeting the young guys. In fact, I’m on record as wanting to see as many young guys in first grade as possible to accelerate their growth for future years where will actually have a chance of contending.

The overall lack of effort, resilience, and most of all structure in that first half was embarrassing - and frankly not NRL quality. Coach needs to start with a long hard look in the mirror. We lack a lot of the attributes the top clubs display, maybe it’s time to start working on systems and processes to lift the professionalism around the joint?
Last edited by Rickmando on April 21, 2024, 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Btw anyone criticising Chevy is a goose.

All fullbacks have games like that in their careers. It’s a position where there is nowhere to hide.

Chev showed great character to keep putting his hand up. He’s going to be a great player, and games like last night actually accelerate his development far more than anything he will do in NSW Cup
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Ricky's Trump like ability to be objectively awful yet still maintain a loyal fan base is the most fascinating thing about the man.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

-PJ- wrote: April 21, 2024, 6:39 am Cmon boys n girls.

What’s wrong with Sanders at 7? We would have a spine of:

1. Chevy - 2 games
6. Strange - 7 games
7. Sanders - 0 games
9. Levi

What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Sanders is not the answer so let’s please stop there. The alternative of which we will go down of Weekes and Strange is going to be a roller coaster in itself.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Regs Revolution wrote:
-PJ- wrote: April 20, 2024, 10:19 pm
Shiv wrote: April 20, 2024, 10:17 pm what did he say in the presser?
He said some people on the GH need a uppercut.
Haha so true. I can’t believe the overreactions to the game and the pitch forks that have come out. Most of the people on here are hilarious.

First of all, atrocious tough conditions. 24 of their points were scored from errors literally on our line.

I might be the only one, whilst it was a hammering, I think we did ok. There were some really poor plays from individuals that let in tries, but we actually played ok and will be much better for it. Maybe I’m being ultra optimistic cause we actually have the right team on the park and can live with the volatile performances.

Chevy can hold his head high. He tried really hard and they peppered him. He never gave up and kept digging in. He’s a keeper and we need to be patient with him. Also someone to be patient with, Mooney. He will take some time to get where he needs to be but I think he had a really good game. Limited minutes and he had some good numbers.

The stand out for me was Savage. He didn’t have stronger numbers than Kris, but the way he defended and carried the ball tonight was special.

We will no doubt be better for it and will take a lot out of that game. It’s a good loss to have.

Losing Fog is massive. It’s Weekes and Strange next up. Mixed emotions on this. Could go well. Could be a train wreck.
Agree with all this Reg.

Savage was excellent, as was Papa, Taps and Kris.

Tough night for Stewart and Timoko, and obviously Fogarty.

Credit to the Broncos for cashing in on 20 minutes of bad footy from us, much like Cronulla did a few weeks back.

Very proud of the boys for having a crack in the second half, especially Stewart. Showed a bit of ticker.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: April 21, 2024, 7:51 am
Finchy wrote: April 20, 2024, 11:55 pm Just watched the presser. Very mature from Ricky.
Yes, although he just can’t help himself - why trot out the “they scored their tries from kicks” routine?

Firstly, has he seen how we’ve scored the bulk of our tries this year? His first choice halfback can’t set one up any other way!
The "oh yeah but they scored from kicks" also doesn't work when the other team made 7 line breaks.

Overall, Ricky put it in decent perspective though.

I think we'll get a few more spankings this year, with all these players out.

But we just might click some days and hand one or two out as well.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Rickmando wrote: April 21, 2024, 7:53 am Btw anyone criticising Chevy is a goose.

All fullbacks have games like that in their careers. It’s a position where there is nowhere to hide.

Chev showed great character to keep putting his hand up. He’s going to be a great player, and games like last night actually accelerate his development far more than anything he will do in NSW Cup
Plenty of players in the past like Inglis and Tommy Turbo have started their careers going up and down the grades. I don't know where this sentiment that you're giving up on someone by dropping them back to NSW Cup comes from. There is some preservation in doing so as Stewart just spent the whole match getting smashed. Also it gives him a chance to start thinking about how he attacks the line on kick returns because the Karmichael Hunt approach isn't working out very well.

I think it comes down to whether we think the Sharks can target him in the way the Broncos did. The conditions certainly didn't help last night. Hines is one of the most overrated players in the comp so I do doubt his ability to keep putting the ball up in a good spot all night.

The other problem is we don't have a good replacement with Savage being marked as a winger only. I'd take Stewart over Kris but if he has another night of being belted next weekend I think we need to protect him from himself for a while.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 21, 2024, 9:08 am
Rickmando wrote: April 21, 2024, 7:53 am Btw anyone criticising Chevy is a goose.

Plenty of players in the past like Inglis and Tommy Turbo have started their careers going up and down the grades. I don't know where this sentiment that you're giving up on someone by dropping them back to NSW Cup comes from. There is some preservation in doing so as Stewart just spent the whole match getting smashed. Also it gives him a chance to start thinking about how he attacks the line on kick returns because the Karmichael Hunt approach isn't working out very well.

I think it comes down to whether we think the Sharks can target him in the way the Broncos did. The conditions certainly didn't help last night. Hines is one of the most overrated players in the comp so I do doubt his ability to keep putting the ball up in a good spot all night.

The other problem is we don't have a good replacement with Savage being marked as a winger only. I'd take Stewart over Kris but if he has another night of being belted next weekend I think we need to protect him from himself for a while.
I'd agree with that Roger. They need to be smart about how they manage him. His confidence is the main concern and you don't want to obliterate him. From what I've read though he is a very confident kid and perhaps last night was needed for him to get a reality check of where he is at and how tough the NRL really is.

I think he is playing NRL before he is ready and before the coaching staff wanted him to. However, now he has debuted they have to manage his confidence and decide what is best. It's going to be harder for him next week in a spine without Fogarty but not sure NSW cup for him and the team is the best option.

I completely agree though, Chevy hasn't and shouldn't have played his last NSW cup game. It's a place where he can refine certain elements of his game.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

I’m not suggesting he should be immune from being dropped. But given the way he fought back into the contest after a poor start last night I think it would be tough on the kid if he’s in reserves next week.

I certqinly wouldn’t be putting a stop-gap option like a Kris or a Weekes in there if they’re not in the longer term plans for the #1 jersey. Let’s be realistic about where we are at in 2024.

It’s been proven that player development is a numbers game as much as anything. With all these kids - the sooner you get them to 20, 30, 50 NRL games, the better the chances of overall team success.

Given that it’s always been realistic to target 2025-2027 as a window where all these kids will reach those games played benchmarks, I’m a big fan of using 2024 to get them there as quickly as possible.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 21, 2024, 1:59 am Only gripe with the refereeing was the flop on Chevy when he got smashed. Rikki had no right coming in again. It was as blatant as any flop I've seen.
I know we have our own grubs, but Rikki is the absolute worst. I understand roughing up and rattling the younger kids is part of the game, but with him it’s elbows to the back of the head etc
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Agree with both your posts Bluesbrother and Rickmando. Any experience he can gain this year will be a benefit but there is that aspect to manage with spine players. Not all gametime is of equal value if you aren't seeing some nuance being added.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

100%. I think he’ll be a good first grade player but sometimes players aren’t ready. That’s nothing against him. He’s only 18 for god’s sake.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Chevy stays in first grade until Jordy is back, then he returns to NSW Cup taking what he has learnt from his time in the NRL to develop his game. That's the way it was always going to be and nothing about last night changes this.

This year was never going to be our year to challenge for a premiership. We're bringing through young players in key positions. It's a development year, we're going to have some high highs and some low lows. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We’d be silly to drop him after that game
Aside from the fact we don’t have any better options, I think it would be really poor management to drop him

If we were going to drop him after the first tough outing he had, it would expose how little confidence the coach actually has in him
Did we really expect the 18 yo fullback was never going to have a tough game?

I don’t think Stuart does lack confidence in him and I don’t think dropping him will be a consideration for the coach. Which is to his credit. I think he and Chevy are made of a bit sterner stuff on this than some our fans.

He’s getting a nice little exposure to FG football. When raps is back he’ll have a chance to go back to cup for a bit and reset himself before he comes back up and takes the jersey full time. Games last this one are just part of the process for a kid like him.

And guess what? He’ll probably have more games like this in his future too. Buckle up, boys and girls… it’s gonna be a bumpy ride. Highs and lows.
Last edited by Botman on April 21, 2024, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Rickmando wrote: April 21, 2024, 9:16 am

I’m not suggesting he should be immune from being dropped. But given the way he fought back into the contest after a poor start last night I think it would be tough on the kid if he’s in reserves next week.

I certqinly wouldn’t be putting a stop-gap option like a Kris or a Weekes in there if they’re not in the longer term plans for the #1 jersey. Let’s be realistic about where we are at in 2024.

It’s been proven that player development is a numbers game as much as anything. With all these kids - the sooner you get them to 20, 30, 50 NRL games, the better the chances of overall team success.

Given that it’s always been realistic to target 2025-2027 as a window where all these kids will reach those games played benchmarks, I’m a big fan of using 2024 to get them there as quickly as possible.
Is it that simple though. As a hypothetical, what if the next 20 or 30 games are full of absolute thrashings and an obliteration of all confidence?

There’s a counter argument here that let’s say it is better for Stewart and Sanders (if h comes) to play reserve grade for this year and hopefully win the whole thing then playing in a beaten first grade side every week. It would do more for their confidence I would have thought.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I agree. We have a game against the Sharks then
Manly then the Bye. I suggest barring injury or him putting his hands up for a spell those next 2 games he is locked in.

I would like to see what our wingers and centre’s can do to help him out. Also our pressure on their kickers needs to be bloody better! Levi is there and runs up part the way but does nothing further than that. We saw Fog last night get hammered. That’s what we should be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: April 21, 2024, 9:56 am We’d be silly to drop him after that game
Aside from the fact we don’t have any better options, I think it would be really poor management to drop him

If we were going to drop him after the first tough outing he had, it would expose how little confidence the coach actually has in him
Did we really expect the 18 yo fullback was never going to have a tough game?

I don’t think Stuart does lack confidence in him and I don’t think dropping him will be a consideration for the coach. Which is to his credit. I think he and Chevy are made of a bit sterner stuff on this than some our fans.

He’s getting a nice little exposure to FG football. When raps is back he’ll have a chance to go back to cup for a bit and reset himself before he comes back up and takes the jersey full time. Games last this one are just part of the process for a kid like him.

And guess what? He’ll probably have more games like this in his future too. Buckle up, boys and girls… it’s gonna be a bumpy ride. Highs and lows.

That’s fine. I personally think he has been dropped into first grade much too early and that is the club’s fault. He needs to get bigger or he needs to adapt (use better footwork) If he plays like he has been, he’ll have an early retirement.

That said, I’m happy for him to play until Rapana is back. After that, he should probably just play reserve grade for the rest of the year.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 21, 2024, 9:53 am Chevy stays in first grade until Jordy is back, then he returns to NSW Cup taking what he has learnt from his time in the NRL to develop his game. That's the way it was always going to be and nothing about last night changes this.

This year was never going to be our year to challenge for a premiership. We're bringing through young players in key positions. It's a development year, we're going to have some high highs and some low lows. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.
I am not sure I find getting smashed enjoyable
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

There is a lot of assumptions here that Kayo is in next week. Don't be surprised if it is Cook - he has been going really well in NSW Cup in the 7 jumper.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Green Blogger wrote: April 21, 2024, 10:17 am There is a lot of assumptions here that Kayo is in next week. Don't be surprised if it is Cook - he has been going really well in NSW Cup in the 7 jumper.
From what I've seen I'd prefer Cook for sure. Weekes can't defend which is a serious concern. His best role is probably back up fullback, if Sanders comes here early then that's where I would be moving him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rick wrote: April 21, 2024, 10:00 am I agree. We have a game against the Sharks then
Manly then the Bye. I suggest barring injury or him putting his hands up for a spell those next 2 games he is locked in.

I would like to see what our wingers and centre’s can do to help him out. Also our pressure on their kickers needs to be bloody better! Levi is there and runs up part the way but does nothing further than that. We saw Fog last night get hammered. That’s what we should be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. There's little things other players can be doing to help protect the young FB a bit which are also just good footy like kick pressure.

Schiller or Savage could drift in once the kick goes up to provide an option for the release pass on kick returns in some circumstances. But Chevy will also get the odd lump, all FBs do.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Green Blogger wrote: April 21, 2024, 10:17 am There is a lot of assumptions here that Kayo is in next week. Don't be surprised if it is Cook - he has been going really well in NSW Cup in the 7 jumper.
Is he allowed to play though? It's only round 8 and I don't think he's in the top 30.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The likes of Turbo and Inglis destroyed us from day one. Turbo still scores against us every time we play them (2 on debut) and Inglis scored the most tries against any team in his career against us
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

BadnMean wrote: April 21, 2024, 10:30 am
Is he allowed to play though? It's only round 8 and I don't think he's in the top 30.
Yeah, they changed the rule so supplementary players can play from round 1.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

:thumbsup
NoMan wrote: April 21, 2024, 10:44 am
BadnMean wrote: April 21, 2024, 10:30 am
Yeah, they changed the rule so supplementary players can play from round 1.