All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Newcastle Knights sign Canberra Raiders back James Schiller

Post by reptar »

What’s Chicka Ferguson up to?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cranky Old Man wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:20 pm Yesterday I was told by a source of unknown reliability that Morkos was returning next year. Might be a connection.
Sorry to see him go, but wingers are about the easiest players to find. Both Asomua and Stuart look to have promise, the centre Mainere (sic) looks to have something and behind them are a couple of outside backs in Flegg who might in time come good.
Manaia Waitere?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Bennyboy2283 wrote: April 17, 2024, 3:38 pm I was hearing somewhere that we are signing Charlie stains , is this true?
This better be a sick joke Benny boy
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

This is disappointing. Prefer his pace to that of Hoppa and Cotric. He’s not a centre and cannot defend like one. Agree with others that Asomua isn’t ready yet from what I’ve seen but next year may be different. But wingers are easy to replace and we have been through it before when Cotric left us.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

julian87 wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:32 pm
Bennyboy2283 wrote: April 17, 2024, 3:38 pm I was hearing somewhere that we are signing Charlie stains , is this true?
This better be a sick joke Benny boy
“This is a sick sick joke on a-Poppy!”
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

No it was on Facebook somewhere, I don’t have it personally but my mother does and she broke the news to about Schiller and some fan said it’s ok cause we are close to signing Charlie stains and that it was a upgrade, and I said pace wise yes. But defensive no
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

bonehead wrote: April 17, 2024, 3:46 pm drop him, move on with Cotric

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Nah we need to move Cotric sideways to another club
raider1981
David Shillington

Post by raider1981 »

I hope Morkos is coming back. He’s not a winger though. What’s Asomua’s pace like?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raider1981 wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:41 pm I hope Morkos is coming back. He’s not a winger though. What’s Asomua’s pace like?
He’s not blistering like Hoppa
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by BadnMean »

NoMan wrote: April 17, 2024, 2:52 pm There is a lot of talent coming through the juniors but unlike last year if they lose a few of these emerging squad players there isn't a lot busting the door down at the moment. Next winger up after Asomua is Stuart and from what I have seen of Esera and Wataire they aren't screaming NRL player yet.

I think they will need to get active in the market at some point even if it's for depth.

Shame to lose him when he's reached an exciting point his his career. I think he'll have a good NRL career.

I think we signed Schiller as depth 2-3 years ago, so it happens. Maybe we'll find another one.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Oh well.

Good cap management.

Not gonna lie. I'm kinda excited that Timoko might get to run at him next season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Real shame to lose a player who is young and ascending but if you can’t keep them all I do think he is the sort of player who you’re ok with losing

We’ve got young talent at the position and he’s been offered a good opportunity and good money
Best of luck to him.

It does change my thoughts on what we should do with him going forward this year. If he’s a part of the plans going forward I’d be more willing to let him work through defensive issues
And for now I think he’s a good enough player and our season is going well enough to pursue for now, but the clubs sights now must be firmly set on getting Asomua into that spot mid to late this year imo
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:48 pm Oh well.

Good cap management.

Not gonna lie. I'm kinda excited that Timoko might get to run at him next season.

Bradman Best is their left centre. And he’s given us a bath a few times
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wataire looks a lively chap for me
Wouldn’t shock me if he’s a player pushing for selection in the next 18 months
If Morkos is coming back that would actually be very handy. I thought he was maybe one of the better young outside backs we had
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rickmando wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:56 pm

Good cap management.

Yes, indeed. My bad - I was picturing Best on the left and had a brain fart about Kris also being on the left (obviously they are not opposing each other).

So - with that in mind, I'm happy for Kris to be running at Schiller if he plays at right centre.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:08 pm

Good cap management.

Yes, indeed. My bad - I was picturing Best on the left and had a brain fart about Kris also being on the left (obviously they are not opposing each other).

So - with that in mind, I'm happy for Kris to be running at Schiller if he plays at right centre.
Here’s hoping!

I’m trying to take the green goggles off, but I don’t think there’s a centre pairing in the comp that comes close to ours. And our lads still have some improvement in them.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Good pick up for the Knights. Disappointed to lose him tbh. I hope we go away from Cotric. Surely there is a young gun somewhere we can pick up. Asomua and Savage should be our wingers for a while with Hoppa as a back up. Regan Carr seems like a good prospect in 21's but we probably need another to cover a wing/centre spot.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rickmando wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:10 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:08 pm

Good cap management.

Here’s hoping!

I’m trying to take the green goggles off, but I don’t think there’s a centre pairing in the comp that comes close to ours. And our lads still have some improvement in them.
Totally agree. Obviously the young 1-6 combo is on a steep learning curve, but our second rowers are also a potentially huge area of improvement for us. Young needs to get back to running straighter, harder lines (and missing less tackles) and the poor old right hand side with Whitehead/Hosking/Mariota is all over the shop in building a combination.

If we get 11 and 12 settled it's a hell of a backline.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's a shame. I don't mind Schiller, think he had some potential.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Sounds like this has been reasonably well managed by the club. I would imagine that they have very clear ideas about the young crop we have coming through at the moment and where there priorities are and given that we just extended Strange that seems a much more important player to keep than Schiller.

Always disappointing to lose someone who is playing well but that's what happens when you are managing a salary cap and we do have other cover for the position.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Enjoyed watching Schiller. Like a Mullins, he really knows his way to the tryline. I'd continue to pick him this year as form determines.

Clearly other players have been prioritized ahead of him though so he's made the right decision in electing to go.

I'm not sold on Seb Kris at left centre. He's more of a finisher than a creator. I like centres who can make a bust and create for others.

I think it's a position we should consider strengthening although obviously it won't be with Schiller.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bloody_Burnham wrote:Gutted. I would have thought with his Raiders lineage he would have stuck around.

I reckon the knights must have offered him more money (the crap about being promised a centre position was thrown around when Cotric signed with the dogs too but we all know that move was motivated by the crazy $$$ he was offered to sign with them). I get a sense that the raiders think his best position is a winger (which I agree with) because of his defensive deficiencies. Hope Asomua gets a shot in first grade soon now.
From memory (when we originally signed him) he was from up Newcastle way?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:39 pm
Bloody_Burnham wrote:Gutted. I would have thought with his Raiders lineage he would have stuck around.

I reckon the knights must have offered him more money (the crap about being promised a centre position was thrown around when Cotric signed with the dogs too but we all know that move was motivated by the crazy $$$ he was offered to sign with them). I get a sense that the raiders think his best position is a winger (which I agree with) because of his defensive deficiencies. Hope Asomua gets a shot in first grade soon now.
From memory (when we originally signed him) he was from up Newcastle way?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Young, but there are relatives in Newcastle.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Decent enough player for how we use him (second string), but no great loss overall.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:48 pm
Good cap management.

This is a bizarre statement unless it’s tongue in cheek.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:21 pm Good pick up for the Knights. Disappointed to lose him tbh. I hope we go away from Cotric. Surely there is a young gun somewhere we can pick up. Asomua and Savage should be our wingers for a while with Hoppa as a back up. Regan Carr seems like a good prospect in 21's but we probably need another to cover a wing/centre spot.
Asomua doesn't have the pace or footy smarts and skills of Schiller, he is a downgrade, pretty much a hoppa mk2 from the 15 of games I've watched him play in nsw cup.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Knights all of sudden have had some great recruitment. Schiller as a backup winger/centre with starting upside is a good pick up.

We should look at a winger that's an Arial threat but my guess is we just pull up players from our development system and not make signings.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Neeeegz wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:23 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:21 pm Good pick up for the Knights. Disappointed to lose him tbh. I hope we go away from Cotric. Surely there is a young gun somewhere we can pick up. Asomua and Savage should be our wingers for a while with Hoppa as a back up. Regan Carr seems like a good prospect in 21's but we probably need another to cover a wing/centre spot.
Asomua doesn't have the pace or footy smarts and skills of Schiller, he is a downgrade, pretty much a hoppa mk2 from the 15 of games I've watched him play in nsw cup.
In that case, it looks like Rapa is going another season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote:
Good cap management.

Not even remotely tongue in cheek.

I shouldn't have to tell anyone where a depth winger with major issues in defence fits into the salary cap priority list. Down the bottom.

Strange, Sanders, Smithies, Timoko, Savage and Stewart are great signings who will all be getting upgrades or coming in on good coin.

Keep the powder dry for a decent second rower thanks.

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Raidernation wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:26 pm Knights all of sudden have had some great recruitment. Schiller as a backup winger/centre with starting upside is a good pick up.

We should look at a winger that's an Arial threat but my guess is we just pull up players from our development system and not make signings.
How long has Dane Gagai got left? Couldn't be much longer.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:09 pm
julian87 wrote:
Good cap management.

Not even remotely tongue in cheek.

I shouldn't have to tell anyone where a depth winger with major issues in defence fits into the salary cap priority list. Down the bottom.

Strange, Sanders, Smithies, Timoko, Savage and Stewart are great signings who will all be getting upgrades or coming in on good coin.

Keep the powder dry for a decent second rower thanks.
I think it's pretty average cap management if we end up re-signing Cotric which has been mentioned. Schiller would be cheaper and he is a better player with the ability to play multiple positions.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Hopefully we sign Cotirc on a heavily reduced contract. He isnt that SOO winger anymore
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Not upset really. Defence is a major issue for him ATM. He might get better but who knows... I prefer both Hoppa and Cotric defensively.

In any case there are probably a few quick guys coming through or we might find another one elsewhere.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Raidernation wrote:Knights all of sudden have had some great recruitment. Schiller as a backup winger/centre with starting upside is a good pick up.

Why can’t we have both;

Jed Stuart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:44 pm Hopefully we sign Cotirc on a heavily reduced contract. He isnt that SOO winger anymore
Cotric needs to be moved on. There are better options out there. If we cut him I doubt anyone is picking him up.