Sharks 13+
39%

Total votes: 18

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BadnMean »

President Clinton wrote: April 23, 2024, 4:33 pm That is such a young backline.

It is a worry to think how the side will look experience-wise when Papalii and Tapine are off the field.

Having Rapana, Fogarty, CHN and - as much as I hate to say it - Whitehead missing leaves us in a hole.
I wouldn't be surprised if RIcky manages it like last week, With Taps playing 30 mins, Papa off at 20 mins and back on at 30 mins when Taps comes off.

Or just swap Papa and Mariota and split them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'It's an exciting challenge': Raiders look to put bite back on Cronulla after Shark attack

It's not only a shot at redemption from a Shark attack, but the Green Machine gets a shot at taking down the ladder leaders. Plus it will be Raiders coach Ricky Stuart's 500th NRL game in charge.

"It's an exciting challenge for us - they're coming first at the moment," Hudson Young said. "We knew we got out to a start, out to a lead, last time we played them so I feel like it's a good challenge for us to see where we're at.To be able to bounce back against them would be really good here in Canberra."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Up to the forwards to give rookie halves a platform for their kicking game: Tom Starling

Canberra hooker Tom Starling said it was up to the forward pack to get their rookie halves, Kaeo Weekes and Ethan Strange, into good positions to kick - which would in turn help them cover the loss of an injured Jamal Fogarty's superboot.

"They just go out there and play football. The less instructions we give them the better they'll go," Starling said. "We've got a really good forward pack. It's up to us boys to get us in good position to kick the ball. The middles have got to take responsibility to get into the spots they need to kick from. We'll have a nice simple game plan for them around kicking."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Sharks co-captain Dale Finucane announces immediate retirement: https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2024/04/ ... etirement/

Braydon Trindall stood down by Sharks: https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2024/04/ ... statement/

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Round 7 - 2023

1. Kris
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Timoko
5. Hoppa
6. Wighton
7. Fog
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Let's just remember we anticipated this season was going to be one of transition
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Mr Squiggle wrote:Our forward pack, on paper is too good to get rolled like they did in the first Sharks game. A similar performance will likely see the worst scoreline of the season.
We say this but let’s be honest, our forward this year has been good on paper but that has not played out on field.

They have been completely embarrassed by a Broncos pack without Hass, a Sharks pack without everyone, and tested by the Titans pack and Warriors pack.

They really need to stand up and Ricky needs to stop being stubborn and seperate Tapine and Papali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

WHY THE **** IS STARLING STILL THERE?

How many minutes did he play against the broncos in a game where Fog was injured for half of it? Seriously, even the coach is admitting by his actions he’s no good, but he’s too **** stubborn to pull the trigger and make the most meaningful change he can with his squad.

It’s so frustrating and such a big reason he’ll never be an elite coach. Just can’t put good decision making ahead of pride, never has been able to.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Really looking forward to the game and seeing the way we play. In particular, looking forward to Kaeo's debut and Chevy bouncing back.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

We’re in a special jersey. Prepare for a thrashing folks
raider1981
David Shillington

Post by raider1981 »

I worry who’s going to do the kicking.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 6:20 pm WHY THE **** IS STARLING STILL THERE?

How many minutes did he play against the broncos in a game where Fog was injured for half of it? Seriously, even the coach is admitting by his actions he’s no good, but he’s too **** stubborn to pull the trigger and make the most meaningful change he can with his squad.

It’s so frustrating and such a big reason he’ll never be an elite coach. Just can’t put good decision making ahead of pride, never has been able to.
I wonder if it is pride. Ricky definitely has that in spades but who’s he too proud to admit a mistake to? Us? I doubt it. The media? They’re not pointing out issues with selections. They never do.

Lots of people claimed Ricky was too proud to admit he should’ve played Savage but he overcame it by saying earlier this season that he knew Savage would be an excellent footballer three years ago and has been proven correct.

Too proud to move Kris? Not really. He just said Kris’ best spot is centre and didn’t reflect on that also being true for the whole time Kris played fullback last year.

Jack not working at five-eighth? Jack not being worth a million bucks? Jack not being the best player in our team? Nope. Ricky just focuses on Strange and the youth.

I think we conjure conversations where Ricky argues for his guys against all evidence because he’s stubborn and proud. But I wonder if those conversations happen. I think it’s just as likely the only discussion this week was who would replace Jamal and it lasted two minutes because they’d decided Kaeo would be next man in back in January.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ruben Daley wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 6:20 pm WHY THE **** IS STARLING STILL THERE?

I wonder if it is pride. Ricky definitely has that in spades but who’s he too proud to admit a mistake to? Us? I doubt it. The media? They’re not pointing out issues with selections. They never do.

Lots of people claimed Ricky was too proud to admit he should’ve played Savage but he overcame it by saying earlier this season that he knew Savage would be an excellent footballer three years ago and has been proven correct.

Too proud to move Kris? Not really. He just said Kris’ best spot is centre and didn’t reflect on that also being true for the whole time Kris played fullback last year.

Jack not working at five-eighth? Jack not being worth a million bucks? Jack not being the best player in our team? Nope. Ricky just focuses on Strange and the youth.

I think we conjure conversations where Ricky argues for his guys against all evidence because he’s stubborn and proud. But I wonder if those conversations happen. I think it’s just as likely the only discussion this week was who would replace Jamal and it lasted two minutes because they’d decided Kaeo would be next man in back in January.
Hahaha every single one of those examples you’ve cited proves that pride and stubbornness is his number one problem, they’re not making the case you think they are!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Is anyone else surprised that a favourite of Ricky's (and Billy's) in Hoppa is stuck in reserves, when someone who played plenty of reserves last year and started there this year (Schiller) is still in firsts even though he's just signed elsewhere for next year? Credit to Ricky for not being petty, and sticking with a faster team.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:10 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:

Hahaha every single one of those examples you’ve cited proves that pride and stubbornness is his number one problem, they’re not making the case you think they are!
Only if you believe he stuck to his guns in the face of clear evidence that his plan wasn’t working - which is definitely how it looks. I just don’t know if I believe he thinks like that.

I reckon he may well be not assessing other options like bringing in Woolford/Trevilyan/Puru at all.

In other words, I doubt whether seeing how much better the team is playing now has made him reconsider his decision to offer Jack a million bucks a year for four years. I doubt he thinks Kris didn’t work/spent too long at fullback.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Who goal kicks?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Same guy that did last week

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

obviously a win would be great, Trindell is a bit of a loss for them, he has steered the team well, the forwards will determine the outcome of this game, I think canberra big boys will be up for this
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

gangrenous wrote: April 23, 2024, 6:53 pm We’re in a special jersey. Prepare for a thrashing folks
I thought about this too, we suck in promo jerseys
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

heres a ugly stat....Canberra have won 6 Anzac rounds......wait for it.....since 2004

P.s im doing a (Seinfeld) George Costanza " the opposite" episode
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Crusader wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:29 pm heres a ugly stat....Canberra have won 6 Anzac rounds......wait for it.....since 2004

So you’re unemployed and you live with your parents?
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Azza wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:40 pm
Crusader wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:29 pm heres a ugly stat....Canberra have won 6 Anzac rounds......wait for it.....since 2004

So you’re unemployed and you live with your parents?
I see what you did there 🤣🤣
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Our last game against the sharks was embarrassing. They just ran harder than we did, tackled harder than we did and we just rolled over.

If Ricky isn’t into the pack this week reminding them that they got rolled then he isn’t doing his job. The forwards should take it personally.

Our attack is bound to look a bit clunky but it will also be unpredictable for the sharks.

If we can win the forward battle anything can happen.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

they smashed our edges

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Clutching at straws but really hoping there is a game day change with Woolford coming in for either Starling or Levi.

We use the minutes excuse for Guler, surely that is also relevant for Tommy 10 minutes Starling

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Rick wrote: April 24, 2024, 9:27 am Clutching at straws but really hoping there is a game day change with Woolford coming in for either Starling or Levi.
There won't be.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The only reason I can think of to justify Starling's selection is experience. Aside from Levi he has more experience than Woolford and Puru.

With such an inexperienced backline, he's probably looking for more experience on the field.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: April 24, 2024, 9:57 am The only reason I can think of to justify Starling's selection is experience. Aside from Levi he has more experience than Woolford and Puru.

With such an inexperienced backline, he's probably looking for more experience on the field.
Isn’t he room mates with Huddo and they’re besties? Maybe Ricky doesn’t want to burn both players by dropping one.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: April 24, 2024, 9:57 am The only reason I can think of to justify Starling's selection is experience. Aside from Levi he has more experience than Woolford and Puru.

Really? You don't think it's because the coach just doesn't like Woolford for whatever petulant and petty reasons seem to go well beyond footballing ability?
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

gangrenous wrote: April 23, 2024, 6:53 pm We’re in a special jersey. Prepare for a thrashing folks
I was just thinking this myself. Our record in special jerseys is shocking...............
Perth Based Raiders Fan
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2024, 10:32 am

Really? You don't think it's because the coach just doesn't like Woolford for whatever petulant and petty reasons seem to go well beyond footballing ability?
I don't think it's personal.

FWIW I'd be playing Woolford over Levi.

Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:36 pm

I really think it is personal. Woolford as shown in the last 2 years he offers more offensively and defensively than Levi does, yet Ricky picks Levi over him regardless. I think it's entirely personal.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:40 pm

I really think it is personal. Woolford as shown in the last 2 years he offers more offensively and defensively than Levi does, yet Ricky picks Levi over him regardless. I think it's entirely personal.
And as I've said previously, anyone who's not a blatant troll or firmly in the back pocket of the coach can see this too, and recognises it as our greatest current squad weakness.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I should also point out that I'm largely referring to Starling as being the glaring weakness in our current squad. I'd be more than happy with 9. Levi/14. Woolford or (my preference) vice versa.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:57 pm

And as I've said previously, anyone who's not a blatant troll or firmly in the back pocket of the coach can see this too, and recognises it as our greatest current squad weakness.
Again, you make ad hominem comments. We all have different opinions and that does not justify attacking someone.

We have no idea why Levi is ahead of Woolford. This is pure speculation.

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Finchy wrote: April 24, 2024, 10:11 am

Isn’t he room mates with Huddo and they’re besties? Maybe Ricky doesn’t want to burn both players by dropping one.
Simple then, drop them both!

I can’t help but feel Huddo might do well with a 1-week reserve grade sharpen-up (message) like the one Papalii got a few years back….
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: April 24, 2024, 1:10 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:57 pm

Again, you make ad hominem comments. We all have different opinions and that does not justify attacking someone.

We have no idea why Levi is ahead of Woolford. This is pure speculation.
No, I speak pure fact based on observation. You find me one single person on this forum who doesn't think Woolford belongs in the NRL team hooker rotation who isn't a) firmly in the coach's back pocket or 2) a blatant troll and I'll retract the comment.

In the meantime, I'll wait patiently over here by the bar while you look.