NRLW trio re-sign for 2024 season

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders are pleased to announce the re-signing of Shakiah Tungai, Tommaya Kelly-Sines and Kerehitina Matua for the 2024 NRLW season.

After impressing for the club in its inaugural season, the trio will return in 2024, adding plenty of experience to the squad.

Tungai enters her sixth NRLW season in 2024, with Kelly-Sines and Matua in their third and second seasons respectively.

Raiders NRLW coach Darrin Borthwick is excited to have the trio back in the squad for the 2024 season.

“Shak’s transition into this club, she was quite open about how much she loves the club and what this club means to her. We talk about making a difference to the young girls coming through, we made a difference to a player that has been in it for some time,” Borthwick said.

“Shak played well and I’m very excited to have her back and I know she’ll add more value to the team and she is a bit of a fan favourite too.

“Kere’s very new to the NRLW and the week in, week out competition. I felt she got more consistent as she went on last year and she’s got a bit of unfinished business as well. I’m glad she has chosen to come back and I know she wants to work on her game.

“She adds a lot to our team. I’m happy for Kere that she’s decided to stay at the Raiders and I’m really looking forward to working with her and improving her game not only on the field but off it as well.

“Tommaya fully deserved an extension, I thought she did a really good job for us last year. She’s been playing the game for a long time and what she offers us not only on the field but her leadership as well is terrific.

“It’s a good sign that she wanted to stay here and be a Raider again. I’m really happy for Tommaya and I feel that to have some stability in and around our team is terrific.

“I’m glad these girls have chosen to stay on and spend some more time with us.”

After impressing in her first season in green, Tungai is excited to return to the Raiders and be part of the Canberra community again.

“This club feels like home and I'm super excited and grateful to be back playing for the green machine,” Tungai said.

“I can't wait to get back and rip in.”

Kelly-Sines was one of the Raiders’ most consistent players in the club’s inaugural season and is looking forward to getting back on the field in 2024.

“I'm very thankful to get another opportunity to play with the Raiders,” Kelly-Sines said.

“I'm excited to build on the progress we had last year and continue to strive to reach our full potential.”

Matua played all nine games in her first season of NRLW and says she is grateful to be back at the Raiders for the 2024 season.

“It’s truly an honour and a blessing to be re-signed with this club,” Matua said.

“I never take things for granted as opportunities like this will never come around again.”

Canberra Raiders media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRLW trio re-sign for 2024 season

Post by greeneyed »

'It's a good sign': Raiders' triple signing boost

The Canberra Raiders have re-signed one of their most experienced players as part of a triple boost. They've extended the time in lime green of winger Shakiah Tungai and big boppers Tommaya Kelly-Sines and Kerehitina Matua, keeping them for the 2024 NRLW season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... 24-season/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One year deals are sensible. Matua maybe two. Tungia very experienced and good defence, but we probably more speed on the wing. Matua has the potential to be very good.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I thought Matua was one of our better forwards last year. Glad she's coming back... there were times when she and Grace were on the field at the same time and just destroying teams with their carry's

Got a lot of time for Shak, she improved through the year and looks a solid player but completely agree re: the speed.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah Matua can really lead the pack around when she's on. Can be found out laterally on occasion but can also put on a huge hit to set the tone.