2024 Round 11 v Bulldogs: Game Day

Canberra Raiders v Canterbury Bulldogs
Friday 17 May, 6:00pm
Lang Park
Gates open: 4:30pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League, Kayo
Radio coverage: ABC, Mix106.3, 2CC
Weather: Shower or two. Cloudy. High chance of showers in the morning and afternoon. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 70 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm Min 15 Max 24

This Magic Round clash will be a celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Raiders' 1994 Grand Final victory over the Bulldogs. For those in green, anyway. The Canberra players from that team will gather in Brisbane for a reunion, with hooker Steve Walters sounding the Viking horn to start the match.

Last round: 2024 Round 9. Canberra Raiders 26 defeated Manly Sea Eagles 24. It was a comeback for the ages. A night that will long be remembered in the history of the Green Machine. The Raiders were beaten 40-0 the previous week. In Round 9, they went to Brookvale Oval for a meeting with the Sea Eagles on a five day turnaround. Without doubt a bogey ground, without doubt a bogey side. After 30 minutes, the home team led 20-0. Remarkably, the Raiders came back from that, taking the lead for the first time in the 77th minute - with Hudson Young scoring the match winning try. It is only the fourth time Canberra has come back after being down by 20 points or more.

More on Round 9: As I saw it

Team news: Jordan Rapana (knee) returns to the team at fullback, with Sebastian Kris shifting back to centre. Albert Hopoate drops out of the top 17, and has been named as 18th man. Josh Papalii has been named at starting prop, but he still might be a late switch to the bench. Papalii started on the bench against the Sea Eagles and it was a successful tactic. Corey Horsburgh (groin) and Pasami Saulo (back) will spend more time on the sidelines.

The Bulldogs have named an unchanged top 17. Unusually, no player has been named in the No. 18 jersey, after Blake Taaffe was the 18th man last week.

Late changes: The squads will be reduced to 19 players on Thursday evening. The Raiders are 1-17, with Albert Hopoate and Zac Woolford remaining on the reserves list. Bulldogs forward Jacob Preston has been added to the second row, with Jaeman Salmon dropping out of the squad. Poasa Faamausilli comes in on the bench. Blake Taaffe and Jake Turpin remain on the extended bench.

History: The Raiders have won 36 and lost 37 matches against the Canterbury Bulldogs, nearly a 50 per cent win rate. The record has been even more favourable recently, with Canberra winning nine of the past 10 clashes - and the last eight in a row.

The two teams met in Magic Round in 2021 and it wasn't too comfortable for the Green Machine. Josh Papalii was sent off and Jack Wighton was sin binned - and the Raiders just managed a two point victory. It wasn't the best performance from the Raiders in the 14-4 win over the Dogs in 2022 either. It was, at least, the end of a five game losing streak for Canberra.

Last year, the Raiders produced a 34-30 win over the Dogs at Lang Park during Magic Round. It was a much closer encounter than it really should have been. It wasn't exactly convincing later in the year either - with Canberra winning, 36-24, at Canberra Stadium.

2023 Round 25: Raiders 36 defeated Bulldogs 24

2023 Round 10: Raiders 34 defeated Bulldogs 30

2022 Round 9: Raiders 14 defeated Bulldogs 4

2021 Round 10: Raiders 20 defeated Bulldogs 18

2020 Round 16: Raiders 34 defeated Bulldogs 20

The Raiders have won both matches played against the Bulldogs at Lang Park.

Form: Raiders WWLLW
Bulldogs WLWWL

The Bulldogs are coming off a 16-10 loss to the Panthers at Penrith. They have posted recent wins over the Knights (36-12) and Tigers (22-14). The Raiders dramatically turned things around in their last outing, after conceding 74 points in back to back losses against the Broncos (34-10) and Sharks (40-0).

Betting: The Bulldogs are $1.62 favourites, with the Raiders paying $2.30. The Raiders have 3.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: Canberra has a slight advantage in attack, but the Bulldogs have been clearly superior in defence. They rank in the top three teams for average points conceded so far (Raiders 11th). The Bulldogs also rank first for the fewest running metres conceded (Raiders 9th).

The Raiders' advantages over other teams during the early part of the season are in the process of being eroded. They are now equal first with the Warriors for possession share - and second for set completions behind the Titans. The Raiders are no longer the No. 1 team for kicking metres or post contact metres.

2024 Season record: Raiders 5 and 4 (7th, -14), 2 and 3 away
Bulldogs 4 and 5 (9th, +19), 0 and 5 away

Attack: Raiders 21 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 9th on average tries scored
Bulldogs 19 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 10th on average tries scored

Defence: Raiders 23 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 11th on fewest average tries conceded
Bulldogs 17 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked 3rd on fewest average tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 52 per cent, Bulldogs 51 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 82 per cent, Bulldogs 77 per cent

Running: Raiders 1727 running metres per match
Bulldogs 1600 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 30, Bulldogs 30 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 6 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Bulldogs 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Bulldogs 8 per match

Kicking: Raiders 628 kicking metres per match
Bulldogs 630 kicking metres per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1416, Bulldogs 1299 per match

Missed tackles: Raiders 31, Bulldogs 38 per match

Ineffective tackles: Raiders 12, Bulldogs 16 per match

Tackle efficiency: Raiders 88 per cent, Bulldogs 87 per cent

Errors: Raiders 10, Bulldogs 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 6 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 6, Bulldogs 5 per match

My tip: The Bulldogs are favourites in this game. They have shown a good deal of improvement in 2024, after seven years in the doldrums. They last made the finals in 2016, and took the wooden spoon in 2021. They weren't far off the spoon last year, finishing 15th. But they now have a chance of breaking their eight game losing streak against the Raiders. Their defence is particularly good. The Raiders have been seriously impacted by injury. However, the likely return of Rapana, and the big comeback win against the Sea Eagles, will give the Green Machine a boost. They'll also be very keen to produce a win, with the Raiders' 1994 premiership winning team watching on. The milestone match effect does worry me a bit. The Raiders have not recently done well in those games. On balance, the numbers and injury lists point to a Bulldogs win. But I am going to be optimistic. Raiders by six.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matt Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Kaeo Weekes
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Ata Mariota
16. Trey Mooney
17. Emre Guler

18. Albert Hopoate
19. Zac Woolford

Injury/Suspension
Corey Horsburgh, Groin (Round 12-13)
Jamal Fogarty, Bicep (Round 20-22)
Zac Hosking, Shoulder (Round 21-22)
Pasami Saulo, Back (Indefinite)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Seizure (Indefinite)

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Connor Tracey
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Drew Hutchison
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Samuel Hughes
11. Viliame Kikau
17. Jacob Preston
13. Kurt Mann

14. Bailey Hayward
15. Josh Curran
16. Kurtis Morrin
19. Poasa Faamausili

20. Blake Taaffe
21. Jake Turpin

Injury/Suspension
Ryan Sutton, Knee (Round 12)
Daniel Suluka-Fifita, Knee (Round 12)
Chris Patolo, Knee (Round 14-16)
Karl Oloapu, Neck (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Ashley Klein
Touch judges: Matt Noyen, Chris Sutton
Video referee: Adam Gee

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersBulldogs

NSW Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on X: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Round 11 v Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

denissnowy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Watching from Dryandra, WA this week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2024 Round 11 v Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

Let’s go, you absolute pack of maniacs! Cracking my first beer in 56min!

If I see you tonight at the game, I’m so very, very sorry.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game Day!! Go the Raiders!!💚💚

Attending a funeral today of another mad raiders supporter on the island.
The win tonight is for you bala Mark…. Fly high bala💚💚💚💚💚
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Ilanraiders wrote: May 17, 2024, 6:35 am Game Day!! Go the Raiders!!💚💚

Sorry for your loss mate, hope the day goes ok for you - look after yourself.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ilanraiders wrote: May 17, 2024, 6:35 am Game Day!! Go the Raiders!!💚💚

Condolences to you mate.

Let's hope we get up for Mark.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I have a good feeling about this game (I know, I know... why!?!?!)

I think we match up better in most position

Rapana 1 Tracey
Cotric 2 Kiraz
Timoko 3 Xerri
Kris 4 Critchon
Savage 5 Addo-Carr
Strange 6 Burton
Weekes 7 Hutchison
Papalii 8 King
Levi 9 Mahoney
Tapine 10 Hughes
Young 11 Kikau
Whitehead 12 Preston
Smithies 13 Mann

Starling 14 Hayward
Mariota 15 Curran
Mooney 16 Morrin
Guler 17 Faamausili

Our middle hold up and we complete, I think our halves can out play theirs.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

This would be a massive win - dogs have the third best defence and are improving every week. I feel like they are flying under the radar.

Would be great to get two wins before the next bye.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Dusty wrote: May 17, 2024, 11:24 am I have a good feeling about this game (I know, I know... why!?!?!)

Rapana 1 Tracey
Cotric 2 Kiraz
Timoko 3 Xerri
Kris 4 Critchon
Savage 5 Addo-Carr
Strange 6 Burton
Weekes 7 Hutchison
Papalii 8 King
Levi 9 Mahoney
Tapine 10 Hughes
Young 11 Kikau
Whitehead 12 Preston
Smithies 13 Mann

Starling 14 Hayward
Mariota 15 Curran
Mooney 16 Morrin
Guler 17 Faamausili

This level of Guler hate is crazy, crazy stuff.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Faamausili over Guler would give any of the crazy Matt's Matchups that we got a run for it's money in terms of unhinged lunacy :lol:
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Yes, agreed. One is a NRL FG in most squads, the other is a NSW Cup player.

Although Guler needs to cut his penalties tonight when he comes on.

This is a 50/50 game, although my heart says Raiders and with the same 1994 GF scoreline. Canterbury have had close losses to Penrith and Melbourne away from home, and a good win v Roosters. Their defence is good and they do have strike out wide. I think their backs will try to go through us up the middle with footwork like what Cronulla did.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Game Day, can't wait to see my mighty raiders, let's concrete our top 8 spot.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: May 17, 2024, 12:33 pm Faamausili over Guler would give any of the crazy Matt's Matchups that we got a run for it's money in terms of unhinged lunacy :lol:
Yeah, at least Guler is borderline NRL standard. Faaumasili is a perennial reserve grade who sneaks a bench spot in first grade half a dozen times a year to cover for injuries.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

I can't comment on Faaumasili because I don't watch a heap of footy these days aside from Raiders games but honestly, Guler is lousy. If you're only as good as your last performance then he shouldn't be playing first grade this week. His 4 runs for 26m and 2 penalties put us under so much pressure at the start of the Manly game. It's been a long time since I've seen anything but straight up plodder performances from him.

EW had a great game last week but I'd probably give the 12 skin to Preston. Cotric is also a generous pick to share the skin with Kiraz. Bulldogs have been going well and this will be a tough game. Thankfully Rapana is a huge in for us. He had some fumbles early in his career but the guy is safe as houses under a high ball now and I wouldn't have wanted Chevy trying to catch bombs from Burton. Rapa also gives a lot more in attack. Should be an interesting watch!

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

As someone who watches a **** ton of footy...
If Guler played for the dogs, he'd be their starting front rower tonight and probably one of their best two middle forwards.

I said it a few weeks ago but the more i think about this game, the more i think this comes down to our forward pack. If this pack plays to it's talent, we should absolutely dominate them up the middle and control the game, which will give us a very good chance to win.
If our vaunted pack comes up small, as it has had a tendency to do at times... the dogs are going to really test us out wide

This is a bit of eat your vegetables game for me.
Complete our sets, kick well, don't give away silly penalties/set restarts. Play this game on our terms, down the middle third and ask our forward pack to go and win us a football game.
Ben & Sev Love Milk
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

Botman wrote: May 17, 2024, 2:26 pm As someone who watches a **** ton of footy...
If Guler played for the dogs, he'd be their starting front rower tonight and probably one of their best two middle forwards.

I said it a few weeks ago but the more i think about this game, the more i think this comes down to our forward pack. If this pack plays to it's talent, we should absolutely dominate them up the middle and control the game, which will give us a very good chance to win.
If our vaunted pack comes up small, as it has had a tendency to do at times... the dogs are going to really test us out wide

This is a bit of eat your vegetables game for me.
Complete our sets, kick well, don't give away silly penalties/set restarts. Play this game on our terms, down the middle third and ask our forward pack to go and win us a football game.
This is pretty spot on , control the ball and be disciplined is the key for me , this making sure our middles aren’t doing to much defence. Every game we have done this we have won or been in it .
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

mikeraider wrote: May 17, 2024, 1:23 pm Game Day, can't wait to see my mighty raiders, let's concrete our top 8 spot.
Agreed mike. I hope "Crotic has a blinder!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: May 17, 2024, 12:33 pm Faamausili over Guler would give any of the crazy Matt's Matchups that we got a run for it's money in terms of unhinged lunacy :lol:
It's no Milford over Slater, but it's in the finals. I really hope Faamausili doesn't carve us up now
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

I’m probably Guler’a harshest critic on this forum but Poasa over Guler, you’re having a laff.

Guler might make the bench of a few teams, I couldn’t see Poasa making the bench anywhere other than dogs and rabbits at the moment.

I’ll also take this moment to say, I hope Guler is moved on asap.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

I’m probably Guler’s harshest critic on this forum but Poasa over Guler, you’re having a laff.

Guler might make the bench of a few teams, I couldn’t see Poasa making the bench anywhere other than dogs and rabbits at the moment.

I’ll also take this moment to say, I hope Guler is moved on asap.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Northern Raider wrote: May 17, 2024, 1:51 pm
Yeah, at least Guler is borderline NRL standard. Faaumasili is a perennial reserve grade who sneaks a bench spot in first grade half a dozen times a year to cover for injuries.
He's played better than Guler in the few Dogs games I've watched. Very happy to be wrong tonight though.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Northern Raider wrote: May 17, 2024, 1:51 pm
He's played better than Guler in the few Dogs games I've watched. Very happy to be wrong tonight though.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight’s Magic Round clash between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs. Kick off is at 6:00pm. Live broadcast on Fox League and Kayo. Live scores right here. Please join in with your own commentary as the game unfolds.

Here are the final teams.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matt Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Kaeo Weekes
17. Emre Guler
9. Danny Levi
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Morgan Smithies

8. Josh Papalii
14. Tom Starling
15. Ata Mariota
16. Trey Mooney

18. Albert Hopoate

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Connor Tracey
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Drew Hutchison
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Samuel Hughes
11. Viliame Kikau
15. Josh Curran
13. Kurt Mann

14. Bailey Hayward
16. Kurtis Morrin
17. Jacob Preston
19. Poasa Faamausili

20. Blake Taaffe
The Greenhouse score update service
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote:
Botman wrote: May 17, 2024, 12:33 pm Faamausili over Guler would give any of the crazy Matt's Matchups that we got a run for it's money in terms of unhinged lunacy Image
Let's hope Guler rips in and actually plays like he is capable of.

The bench is an area where we should be dominating their team.

Giving away braindead penalties and losing possession during the middle 40 minutes is a killer for this team and is often where we lose momentum.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote:
Dusty wrote: May 17, 2024, 11:24 am I have a good feeling about this game (I know, I know... why!?!?!)

Rapana 1 Tracey
Cotric 2 Kiraz
Timoko 3 Xerri
Kris 4 Critchon
Savage 5 Addo-Carr
Strange 6 Burton
Weekes 7 Hutchison
Papalii 8 King
Levi 9 Mahoney
Tapine 10 Hughes
Young 11 Kikau
Whitehead 12 Preston
Smithies 13 Mann

Starling 14 Hayward
Mariota 15 Curran
Mooney 16 Morrin
Guler 17 Faamausili

This level of Guler hate is crazy, crazy stuff.
I think you see something in him that most of us don't. It certainly can't be his consistency or intensity.

This is a good chance for him to rip in and be a bit dominant.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Christ, Rubes still looks like he could run out with the team in 15 minutes
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2024, 5:45 pm Christ, Rubes still looks like he could run out with the team in 15 minutes
A few others look like they’d take 15 minutes to run out with the team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Ok I have my medicinal cannabis vape for my chronic pain and Raiders related panic attacks, and the Highland Earl on standby just in case it gets bad (as in REAL bad).
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Not long to go. The teams are warming up inside. The 1994 Grand Final winning team has been presented to the crowd. Soon the Viking Clap.
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2024, 5:45 pm Christ, Rubes still looks like he could run out with the team in 15 minutes
He is a god. That rig will be with him his whole life judging by how well he takes care of himself.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Dogs kick off. We are underway.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

I am here, I should be there, maybe next year, go raiders
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford

Savage nearly losing his boot collecting the kick off. Are they ever going to actually put proper turf in that stadium or leave it as 50/50 sand to grass?